Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

On 5/5/2024 at 6:21 AM, Capt. Fargus said:

Would’ve mentioned Breath of Fire but I dunno if he likes turn based stuff

I have only played the GBA version, and I don't think I ever got around to finish it.

On 5/5/2024 at 10:17 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Golden Week sale has Konami dropping 2nd Runner to $6 on Steam, I won't bite now, but I sure will later after finishing TFoM. Although I don't get why the first game isn't on Steam as well. But, when the companies don't provide, into the seven seas I slide. 

Glad you are thinking of starting with the first. I have a soft spot for the first game, but I can't really argue against the second one being an objectively better game. That isn't to say the first is bad, but the second does such a good job of refining all of the good points of the first.

Sorry I couldn't get the spelling of a three-letter acronym right, I was running a sleep deficit.😅

To be fair, I had to look it up to get the right acronym, as I could only tell that the one you put was wrong...

Part of the issue with XC3 -I know this is silly and petty- is I want to play it -at least for the first session or two- on the big screen, because the beauty of Xenoblade demands that. However, I don't like doing that with other people around -not that I haven't regretfully wasted ten thousand opportunities where they weren't.😝 And, at this point, playing with the Switch docked feels totally unnatural to me. Staring at a video game screen that's three yards/meters away, comes off as strange as having the screen be at opposite of end of a golf course. I just need to tell myself it'd be no disrespect to the visual splendor of 'blade, and start XC3 undocked, apologizing to the game by occasionally docking it later once I'm eased into and take in the pretty views then.

I know, I am weird.🤣

On 5/5/2024 at 10:53 AM, Armagon said:

Oh I fully understand this. Handheld Switch is a rarity. Like I did it with UO for a bit because Vanillaware visuals still pop but I much prefer to play on the TV. Especially when the big AAA games on the Switch usually gets a little crusty on handheld.

Whereas I can't remember the last time I have used my Switch docked, much preferring it as a handhold. What can I say, I like handheld consoles.

On 5/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thank Europe for choosing to be different.🇪🇺 

Nintendo of America would end up releasing Xenoblade stateside, but only after effort from fans via Operation Rainfall.

On 5/5/2024 at 2:42 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

• I get not going international in the 16-bit era...
    • JRPGs were young and their popularity not truly understood. Takes time to establish reputation, have it be realized, and then taken advantage of.
    • While the large-scale video game translations RPGs requires were hamstrung by translator inexperience & paucity, storage limitations, and a lingering Western perception of video games as mere toys.
    • In addition, the immeasurable expansion of the Internet during those decades made it more difficult to hide a game from foreign eyes. Most Westerners couldn't complain about the JRPGs they weren't getting on the SNES, because they didn't know they even existed.

Also Japanese companies got it into their head that JRPGs were too complex for the ignorant American audiences, inspiring some really aweful business decisions like the creation of the condescending Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (not to mention dumbing down of some early SNES games like FFII/IV), or only selling Earthbound with a massive strategy guide included.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:00 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm good, I don't need to know.

I respect this mentality, of keeping yourself blind for the choice.

9 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

Who wins?

Both, as both IPs are too big for the people involved to allow one or the other to win, so it ends with both getting a few good punches in before Superman makes friends so they can take down some other bad guy together.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Finished Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars.

Congratulation, and done so quickly as well (also thanks for sharing your thoughts on it)

I think I liked the game more for the forest, not the trees. Which is to say, the individual characters and events might not have wowed me, but the overall package was good. 

I think that is a good way of putting it with this game, none of its individual pieces are all that great, but they combine into a good experience.

...I still believe Cage had more chemistry with Ares than Myoma.😛

They really do.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

How to erode public trust in your company speedrun any %

The games industry has strong competition in that department. They are going for a nice personal best, but I don't think they are real record competitors.

• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Okay, played a bit more until reaching Abydos, getting the Shield of Osiris and my first Heart Container Gold Ankh. You can tell it truly is LoZ-inspired when these things also come in pieces and for every four you can get another Gold Ankh. Not automatically, however. Best I remember, I don't think I ever found a single piece, pft. Admittedly, I never reached far into the game. Don't remember why I stopped, however.

Speaking of things I didn't do, it was also trying out the minigames in Abydos. It also houses a few sidequests, biggest of all being helping out the Museum. There's a whole monster capture mechanic where you can donate them to the Museum and they will be put up on exhibits. Donating at least one is mandatory to continue the game, but after that, it's up to you. Some monsters are already present, curiously mostly cut monsters. I guess they still found use for the models, at least. In fact, many of the cut stuff still found some use in the final product. Like how one of the NPC's handling the minigames was originally meant to be used for a character from a cut area. It's quite fascinating, really. The amusing thing is, even the manual contains a bit or two of stuff that did not made the cut. Like stating Horus is friends with Tutankhamen's fiancée, Nefertiti. In the final game, those two never meet at all.

Anyway, as I was checking the monsters in the Museum...

> Chihuahua

I'm sorry, what. How did I never noticed this!? Those are not even from Egypt, I should know! Heck, the model doesn't even look like an actual Chihuahua, pft...

Okay! Got the Zip-Line Handle to reach the boat to head to Heliopolis. Now I'm really stopping and will continue next time...

... Chihuahuas... pft...

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, I don't get why either.

What I've seen called the "B Route" (lose the Mars Angels competition) has some nice notes: Ares dying in bed, the mass-production Testaments called Ifrits that never show up in A Route for no reason, an explanation or two for things that A Route doesn't have. On the other hand, Bolozof's survival is pretty strange.

My neurocircuitry automatically began SRW-conceptualizing things.😆 If only one appearance ever, I say stick to A Route, with selective borrowings from B. Ares in the Iblis would be perfect secret material. I'd keep Zephyrs, but replace Jimmers with a bad guy from another license. Ned and or Bolozof can come along as field commander(s) bad guy(s) you can smash every fifth SRW scenario. Big question of whether other ZoE games would be featured alongside TFoM.

On the heroes' side, getting everyone would be debatable. If we're keeping BIS, we need Deckson, though we could keep him alive this time, and perhaps ditch the Edge/Calibur and make him an NPC. Phil's status is another question. Cage is the only must-have pilot, but having BIS means we do need more than one. Early Ares is staying in Vjaya, and we probably want a replacement for him; if Robin doesn't exist (we don't need her, another license in SRW can provide the financial backing for BIS) then Twede has no reason to, so it'll have to be Nadia. We've got two other OFs and three LEVs to account for then, can they all fit? Maybe, maybe not? Each unit is more animations (albeit very simple ones). Myona can get that heavy artillery unit if Ares survives, otherwise she can have Iblis.

10 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Speaking of, did you managed to recruit Nadia? She's the single recruit I spoke about. It's not a full loss since you get Twede instead, so it's more of an either of choice.

No, I didn't get her. Twede I imagine then doesn't miraculously escape his suicide attack then.

While Nadia was okay as a character, having the stereotypical US gov't agent as a playable character was not the norm.😎 He wasn't a bad character either, him and Robin were nice together. And Robin -an older lady- becoming the captain of the band of heroes was subtly enjoyably unusual too.

My main problem with Twede is that given the choice, the enemies loooooooved targeting the Vjaya, probably because of that low max HP.

9 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Nintendo of America would end up releasing Xenoblade stateside, but only after effort from fans via Operation Rainfall.

I know that, I witnessed it all.:MarcusOld:😉

Also Japanese companies got it into their head that JRPGs were too complex for the ignorant American audiences, inspiring some really aweful business decisions like the creation of the condescending Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (not to mention dumbing down of some early SNES games like FFII/IV), or only selling Earthbound with a massive strategy guide included.

And yet, there were a few contradictory games where the localizers made things harder. The 7th Saga was an SNES game that I'm told became impossibly brutal due to increased enemy stats and decreased hero level up gains due to localization changes. In the PS1 era, Legend of Legaia saw money & EXP gains slashed as well. And I think there might be another example or two out there if I looked more.

Glad you are thinking of starting with the first. I have a soft spot for the first game, but I can't really argue against the second one being an objectively better game. That isn't to say the first is bad, but the second does such a good job of refining all of the good points of the first.

I've my toes in the waters of this small series now. And I do enjoy mecha.🤖

-Thank you for confirming my course of action. And bolded- jumping from PS2 to 2018 HD remaster should make the refinement even sharper.

Congratulation, and done so quickly as well (also thanks for sharing your thoughts on it)

You're welcome.😀

Started on Saturday, finished on Tuesday. Very quick indeed. The relative brevity of the game was appreciated.

I think that is a good way of putting it with this game, none of its individual pieces are all that great, but they combine into a good experience.

I liked the overall sense of a ragtag band of heroes. One that's intentionally small, that can save the day but not the world -and that's fine!

Again, I'll use the word "gritty" to describe this. Not Western gritty, not grimdark gritty, but it feels like the heroes of TFoM are fairly ordinary, and both they and their machines are poetically "covered in the dust of the Red Planet". "Anime silly moments" exist, yet the overall story is serious and rather grounded.

The resulting vibe was pleasant from beginning to end.🙂

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No, I didn't get her. Twede I imagine then doesn't miraculously escape his suicide attack then.

If I recall, he does. He just doesn't pilot.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

While Nadia was okay as a character, having the stereotypical US gov't agent as a playable character was not the norm.😎 He wasn't a bad character either, him and Robin were nice together. And Robin -an older lady- becoming the captain of the band of heroes was subtly enjoyably unusual too.

My main problem with Twede is that given the choice, the enemies loooooooved targeting the Vjaya, probably because of that low max HP.

Gonna admit, I never not recruited Nadia, so I don't have much of an opinion of him as a pilot, haha. But yeah, the idea does sound amusing.

16 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Got 5 Playstations. What could a 2nd Switch hurt? 😁

No not the Switch 2 Captain, a squeal to that hellish thing which crept from its sealed sepulcher to blight the world and bring perturbation through getting a port….it…..

GNA3nHXX0AAhnsH?format=jpg&name=medium

GNA3nfYXoAEDpYi?format=jpg&name=medium

Can't believe Chaos Regenerated, also that is one of the rawest design's i've ever seen.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

4513ea9275fcf686f383c712784f3408.gif

He's here to stay. You can run, you can hide, but you'll meet him again in your nightmares...

17 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have only played the GBA version, and I don't think I ever got around to finish it.

The boss battles in BoF are a bit on the easy side. Whole game is really for that matter. I can see it being something most of you guys probably wouldn’t like

To be fair Mystic Quest wasnt the worst game I’ve ever played 

Had to look up that “Earthbound” since you mentioned a big strategery guide. Thought maybe I missed a cool adventure. Looks like I didnt miss much...

16 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

> Chihuahua

I'm sorry, what. How did I never noticed this!? Those are not even from Egypt, I should know! Heck, the model doesn't even look like an actual Chihuahua, pft...

Okay! Got the Zip-Line Handle to reach the boat to head to Heliopolis. Now I'm really stopping and will continue next time...

... Chihuahuas... pft...

I am definitely not a dog person, and chihuahuas are especially annoying 

Now for German Shepherds, Siberian Huskies, and Malamutes I make an exception 

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The heck are you talking about...

Got me, but I’ll take his word for it...

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

4513ea9275fcf686f383c712784f3408.gif

That was me about an hour ago out on the Harley gettin some saddle time, lookin around at all the cagers who cant put their phones down 😳

Posted (edited)
On 5/5/2024 at 9:06 AM, Lightcosmo said:

"nearly impossible" by who's standards? This phrasing always bothers me about Trails because aside from SC, this is hardly ever going to actually be close to the truth. They really should be more honest with their players lol.

Not everyone can afford tonfas, EP Cut III quartz, and evasion stacking armor.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

And, at this point, playing with the Switch docked feels totally unnatural to me.

Since I don't have a modern TV to use for it (the TV in my room being used for my GameCube and Wii U instead), I've only used my Switch docked briefly in college when I was playing Torna. Maybe people were wondering what Mythra was screaming about...

On 5/5/2024 at 1:53 PM, Armagon said:

Incredibly based 🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪🇻🇪

I was wondering if I should get recommendations as to what fillings to get, but I got mine with beans and cheese.

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

How to erode public trust in your company speedrun any %

Interesting how the western video game industry is imploding while Nintendo just had its most profitable year ever.

(Though accounting for inflation, it's only Nintendo's third most profitable year ever.)

18 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Both, as both IPs are too big for the people involved to allow one or the other to win, so it ends with both getting a few good punches in before Superman makes friends so they can take down some other bad guy together.

I remember the jokes back during the pre-Godzilla vs. Kong days (GvK ended up having a definitive winner despite that).

2fc

Edited by Lightchao42

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Can't believe Chaos Regenerated, also that is one of the rawest design's i've ever seen.

Chaos = entropy = randomness = inconsistency = change ...and so forth.

Of all things to genderflip, the embodiment of primordial turbulence would make sense.

Plus, I like it in general. If a deity has such power that it can freely shift physical form, does the outer appearance of gender really matter to them?🤔 Some of us mortal beings -who lack such endlessly adjustable material malleability- might struggle with the concept. But, I do not. I like how Lucifer in Shin Megami Tensei has gone through human disguises both male and female, for why should the foremost champion of the Chaos alignment care about such a petty thing as their costume's shape?

Likewise, I wouldn't have expected this Hades character redesign to bother you one iota, given you alluded to 🩺.😛

...Although, thinking about it for a moment, I guess without evidence that the redesign may have been to make Chaos visually mirror the protagonist? Would remind me of FE's Bramimond in that case.

22 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Maybe people were wondering what Mythra was screaming about...

She probably typed her name into a search engine for the first time, no safety filter.

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Interesting how the western video game industry is imploding while Nintendo just had its most profitable year ever.

(Though accounting for inflation, it's only Nintendo's third most profitable year ever.)

Nintendo's record with experimentation is a mixed bag one might say. They've their lesser IPs that they do nothing with, and they're mean fuddy-duddies in other ways (the lawyer legion). Yet, Nintendo does show some willingness to play around with new gameplay ideas just the same. My impression -according to the Internet- is that as long as Ninty doesn't pursue a rapid endless growth strategy and keep playing by their longstanding playbook, they'll be fine. If they don't ...all is impermanent my friend, practice nonattachment to developers, brands, and IPs.☸️

It probably helps that as a company they're almost 135 years old. Can't last that long if you don't know how. And even if they stop being profitable with Video Games... they'll just move to the next thing, as they always did.

Posted (edited)

Well, that happened, but what?

So, went to Heliopolis, where Anubis seems to be causing trouble. Nothing that can be done about that for now, but Imhotep is in the area. Though first, I did the swimming challenge. Wasn't sure if the Fast swimming option was working properly (earlier I amusingly ended up clipping through a wall and fell... but thankfully the water layer extends under the "terrain" it seems, so I just swam back out of the wall, pft), but I managed with plenty of time to spare it seems. Thankfully it's a one and done deal. So, now to head off to the Sun Shrine Island. Saved just outside, but decided to actually go inside tomorrow.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

@Armagon

Just saw this. (IRL, Azuma according to Wikipedia is Kanto + Tohoku.)

...I had also been randomly reading like two weeks ago some months-old pure speculation about Project Dragon.😅 Specifically, that the founder of the Rune Factory franchise -Yoshifumi Hashimoto- and the company within Marvelous that he had set up during RF5's development -Hakama- might not return for Project Dragon, nor Rune Factory 6.

Why? Well, Rune Factory 5's lukewarm reception might be to blame, maybe Hashimoto was no longer up to the job. It'd been a long time since a new entry in the franchise. Something that if true would've been reinforced by the failure of the Japan-only game Rear Sekai, Hakama was in charge of it, and while the game was apparently very budget, it was a serious flop. Marvelous themselves had meanwhile put out a small success in the form of Silent Hope.

As RF5 and the latest Story of Seasons were both critically criticized, and Marvelous's longtime monopoly on the farming sim has been thoroughly shattered. Getting serious in pursuit of modern victories in the gaming landscape, might mean having to jettison some fossils in the way.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, that happened, but what?

Site issues you mean? I just got stuck in some blank screen that had the SF address with some "admin/install" part tacked on the end. Had to wait a bit before the site went back to normal.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...I had also been randomly reading like two weeks ago some months-old pure speculation about Project Dragon.😅 Specifically, that the founder of the Rune Factory franchise -Yoshifumi Hashimoto- and the company within Marvelous that he had set up during RF5's development -Hakama- might not return for Project Dragon, nor Rune Factory 6.

Why? Well, Rune Factory 5's lukewarm reception might be to blame, maybe Hashimoto was no longer up to the job. It'd been a long time since a new entry in the franchise. Something that if true would've been reinforced by the failure of the Japan-only game Rear Sekai, Hakama was in charge of it, and while the game was apparently very budget, it was a serious flop. Marvelous themselves had meanwhile put out a small success in the form of Silent Hope.

As RF5 and the latest Story of Seasons were both critically criticized, and Marvelous's longtime monopoly on the farming sim has been thoroughly shattered. Getting serious in pursuit of modern victories in the gaming landscape, might mean having to jettison some fossils in the way.

Oh, that's some news if true.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Site issues you mean? I just got stuck in some blank screen that had the SF address with some "admin/install" part tacked on the end. Had to wait a bit before the site went back to normal.

Yeah, same for me. Although, I could still access the forums in my phone for a moment longer. Maybe it had to do that I wasn't logged, or who knows. But even then that also turned into the same blank screen.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, that's some news if true.

Again, it's sheer speculation. It's not like Hashimoto would've been the only thing that led to RF5 being poorly received (although I personally enjoyed it well enough). The pandemic could've contributed too, not to forget that happened the year before RF5 released.

There was also the possibility that the franchise's longtime artist -Minako Iwasaki- isn't hanging around. Yet we can't be sure of that either. -Although, unless you're chasing aesthetic trends, I don't see what benefit you'd get from ditching the artist. Could maybe be just a Project Dragon thing (despite both Frontier and ToD also being her work) and she'll be sticking around for RF6.

We'll likely find out... next month? The post-E3 world no longer needs to drop announcements in June, but, sometime in the summer some news ought to drop.

23 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, same for me. Although, I could still access the forums in my phone for a moment longer. Maybe it had to do that I wasn't logged, or who knows. But even then that also turned into the same blank screen.

Good to know I wasn't alone. Kinda annoying it had to happen right as I was trying to make a big post.😑

11 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Not everyone can afford tonfas, EP Cut III quartz, and evasion stacking armor.

But I just did a fairly minimalist run and had no issues. Tio alone pretty much ruins the game lol. And Aqua Mirage handles dodging just fine: as i had Lloyd in an mostly unhittable state with zero effort. 

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/05/supernatural-life-simulation-game-moonlight-peaks-to-be-published-by-xseed-games-and-marvelous-europe

I spoke last night of Rune Factory, and lo, this.

“We always look for projects that offer our audience diverse new titles with our indie publishing efforts, but this time we’ve found a project that’s much closer to home,” said XSEED Games executive vice president Kenji Hosoi in a press release. “Moonlight Peaks is a supernatural fit given our deep experience with the farming / life sim genre, and we look forward to working with the team at Little Chicken to bring their game to life, and our fans!”

Further evidence Marvelous has a game-plan to get back on top in their signature genre? A strategy that might include publishing other peoples' farming sims to attempt the assertion of dominance?

It might not work if that's the case. The quality of indie farm sims widely varies, many failing to appeal to a vast audience outside of lovers of the genre. However, if Marvelous isn't trying to push for global domination (which they shouldn't right now, if ever), and merely cultivate their existing hacienda in the gaming world, then I don't see this as being a bad move.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

1f848cb2f9eeeeda81888bdcb9c6759c.png

Why is Cheria talking about her own existence?

-I'd replay Graces to check myself, but I really don't want to do that right now.😅 Yet, I've heard it said that Cheria ...contributes nothing to Graces. My memory of the game is foggy, but I think I can see that?

• In the child arc, she's got some unexplained childhood sickness that goes away in the years that pass, but she doesn't fight and really doesn't do anything else either.
  • In the present story, other than help take care of Sophie once she shows up, Cheria does what, exactly? Asbel is oblivious to her affections during the story, and IIRC, Cheria actually gives up on him.
    • On the Sophie point, I don't even remember how much of a bond the two had during the child arc. Sophie with Asbel, Hubert, and Richard yes, good childhood bond, I have that lingering impression. But Cheria? -I don't recall anything.
  • Now, my first PS3 died before I could finish the main story, I was 90% through it. So I had no interest in replaying it, and opted to read about the end of the story and the entirety of the future arc later.
    • I don't remember what happens exactly in the future arc, other than Asbel proposes to Cheria at the end? That seems... totally random given his prior lack of interest. If that was an attempt to make Cheria relevant, it sounds artificial.
      • No surprise at all coming from me, but it wouldn't surprise me if one could dispassionately argue AsbelxRichard had more chemistry.😝

Now, a character can be rather irrelevant to a story, and still be a good character. Irrelevancy is an issue, but not an all-condemning one. Yet, while not a bad character, Cheria isn't great either. And, the Tales franchise, I would argue, lives by the quality of its heroic cast. If the heroes are lacking, the game the entire experience gets dragged down to a zombified crawl, monotonously slow and devoid of vitality. And unfortunately for Cheria, Graces -IMO- has a subpar Tales crew, atop everything else except the combat being typical or lackluster for the series. I don't dislike Cheria, I pity her. Just as I pity Malik and Hubert for not having enough done with them either.

13 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AWQGkCjO_o.png

...You have really created a horrible monstrosity with this one.

16 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Had to look up that “Earthbound” since you mentioned a big strategery guide. Thought maybe I missed a cool adventure. Looks like I didnt miss much...

Earthbound is a classic, and an excellent little JRPG that is well worth playing, so don't be knocking it before you tried it.

15 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

2fc

Alright that is rather funny.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can't believe Castlevania is doing a farming spin-off.

lol Seriously, the premise alone sold me. I'm definitely getting this. And gonna name the protagonist Adrian.