• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah he rotates between his staves so he should only use it every 4th time, but come on xD

H5BnnbD.jpg
I knew there would be an opportunity for this again.

I feel strangely guilty for not having enough things that interests me for Xmas for someone else to get me. I'm usually very discerning with my game choices because I don't want to waste money. Still, might as well try to find something.

*Looks up Dragon Quest Builders* 

I see both the first game and its sequel have demos. The second game reviews suggest it is totally better than the first. I've no interest in Minecraft, because I have no creativity, but a linear Minecraft-esque game with objectives and a DQ aesthetic? I just might enjoy that. I do want to branch out a little.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Yeah he rotates between his staves so he should only use it every 4th time, but come on xD

He should've arranged his staffs differently. Why does Silence follow Freeze? He should've put Enfeeble or Hexing after Freeze, because Freeze would assure him a target for either of those staves. 

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

H5BnnbD.jpg

xD

I am doing Nina's paralogue atm so i can get her for Ryoma's chapter and try to clean that map xD

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He should've arranged his staffs differently. Why does Silence follow Freeze? He should've put Enfeeble or Hexing after Freeze, because Freeze would assure him a target for either of those staves. 

So that the player experience doesn't become absolute hell, probably xD

Hey look, today is Xenoblade Chronicles 2's third anniversary. The game is still on sale on the eShop in all regions which means today/tomorrow is the perfectly fitting time to jump on this game.

Anyways, to talk about another game with the word "Chronicles" in it, i have my full thoughts on Valkyria Chronicles 4. As i've said before, the gameplay is perfectly evolved from the first game. It plays similarly but brings in new ideas and it all works pretty well. Grenadiers are my favorite class because they are essentially Snipers and Lancers rolled into one, especially with anti-tank mortars being a thing. Of course, this did quickly make Lancers even more obsolete compared to the first game, thankfully, there wasn't really a time where i needed Lancers. Anything they could do, Grenadiers could do better. Also, i must confess, i never new you could raise the camera angle when aiming with Grenadiers until the last map.

As for the other classes, i like the buffs that Snipers and Engineers got. Elite Snipers being able to intercept fire, even if never meant much in the long run, was nice and Engineers being able to revive people saved me from having to wait out a turn to bring them back. I also really like that tanks only use one CP now instead of two like in the first game. It gave me a lot more flexibility, especially when i was allowed to bring in a second vehicle (which was almost always the ACP, it's way too good).  Direct Command was also nice, it was essentially Pair-Up that only works once a turn and this was very boosted with Scouts.

All of this is helped by the various map objectives. You had good variety in them and there was always more than one way to tackle most maps, at least that's what i felt. Could even cheese a lot of them too and that was valid. Some maps though, were kinda bad, especially the final one. I just used the Grenadier Blast Boost+Attack Weak Spot exploit there, because the intended way to clear the map feels very annoying. Turn 1 ambushes should never have been a thing. As for another thing i didn't like, a few of the negative Potentials are just outright bad. There's shit like instantly run out of AP, lose health for no reason. The worst one is Rebecca's "no Ragnaid" which affects her revives. Riley died in Ch.7 and that's a map with no base so if a unit's forced to evac, you can't get them back until the map is over. I went to go revive her and Rebecca just went "fuck you" and i just wasted an action because i couldn't use Revival Ragnaid. I'd say "imagine if this shit happened in Fire Emblem" but it kinda already did *cough* Thracia *cough*.

On the subject of characters, i liked the main cast more than the first game. Claude felt a bit too similar to Welkin but he's different in his relationships with the rest of the main cast, all of which are childhood friends, so the relationships already being there helped. Raz was a total bro, Kai was nice (though i do have some mild complaints here) and Riley was fine. I will say that they all benefit each other because aside from Raz, they wouldn't have stood out as much on their own. But that's good, because that means that it avoided the problem of the first game, where only Welkin and Alicia felt like the main cast. As for other characters, i do like that other units had their own paralouges, though these were very hit-or-miss.

The story did feel a bit too short. The game takes place at roughly the same time as the first game but the events of the first game ends before this game, yet both have the same amount of chapters. Maybe that's a bit weird to judge story length but i do feel like the story could've benefited from being longer, even if just a bit. Making the story longer would've helped the two good villains in this game, Klaus and Crymeria. I really liked that Klaus showed up the most out of all the villains. Made him feel like a good rival and i'm really upset that not once is ever brought up that Claude and Klaus essentially have the same name. Pretty sure Klaus Walz is just the German version of Claude Wallace. As for Crymeria, i'm glad the writing avoided making the same mistake it did with Selvaria from the first game. I did think Crymeria would be a Selvaria clone at first but the game actually gives her character and i do like her relationship with Klaus, even if it progresses a bit too quickly (extending the story length would've helped here). Only complaint i have with Klaus is that he looks way too similar to Jaegar from the first game.

As for the other villains........oh boy. The twins were very annoying and no amount of forced pity points the game threw at them in the end helped. Belgar was just generic evil scientist that actually has a connection to Riley thanks to that one flashback but this ends up going nowhere because Riley isn't even aware of his existence during the game. And Foresti.......*sigh*. I understand what his goal is but the man definitely took an expert course in mental gymnastics to get to his logic.

Spoiler

I really don't see Foresti's logic. I get he wanted to save Angie from being used as a living atomic bomb but he basically went "yo fuck the United States and the Federation, they committing war crimes" and then joins the Empire, which is also completing war crimes that even he says are just as bad. Hell, he joins the shadiest group in the Empire. When he's first introduced as Forseti (since we first meet him as the real Kai), i thought this was just an act, that he was a double agent. But nope, he's a villain. Him planting Leena a.k.a Kai as the spy also didn't quite work because never at any point did it feel like Kai was a spy until after that plot point is introduced. And Kai immediately starts having second doubts after this so....

With how Forseti was first introduced, i found it hard to believe he'd betray his friends and family to save one girl. I know that's what Anakin Skywalker did but Anakin was being slowly manipulated for years by Palpatine, what's Forseti's excuse?

As for other parts of the story i didn't like, Angie had no character. She was just there for a bit and then she locks herself up in the reactor until the end of the game. Just a cute young girl to protect, that's her entire purpose in this story.

Also i will say that the true end requirements were kinda dumb. It's one of those "beat the game once to get the true end" but the cutscenes you need to watch the true end could've just been there from the start once you get to them. And the true end is virtually the same as the normal end, just with an extra scene. If it were me, i would've just made the true end the only end in this game.

In conclusion, game's good. Story's kinda hit-or-miss (i'd say the first game had the better plot imo), main cast is good, gameplay is great. Definitely go play Valkyria Chronicles 1 -> 4 if you want to get the best experience (and i mean go directly to 4 after beating the 1, i've heard 2 and 3 are varying in quality). 8/10.

8 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Seems you really enjoyed VC4^^

Yep. Don't know if i'd call it my favorite SRPG like you would, Fire Emblem and Valkyria are the only two SRPG franchises i've played and they're both drastically different. But it's good.

6 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Seriously, when I encountered the literal pitfalls on the final floor, I was just stunned in disbelief. Like, how much crap can you put in a single map?

What is this, Animal Crossing? 

Honestly, it looks like i dodged a bullet by dropping the game on the route split.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

I can't talk about anything without spoiling it. It's one of those games. xD

The struggle haha.

Here's a fun Danganronpa fact and you're about to see why i know it despite me never touching the games. One of the games in the series makes a reference to Xenoblade X of all things.

EU9p7iuXgAAp4Z9.jpg:large

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

image.gif.f2e80b21c00d2a32a9283b3e42454879.gif

Man of culture.

41 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

ta9L2Uu.png

someone wanted dead Royals? xD

The reinforcements in this map fucked me over tbh

No! They will pay dearly for Corncob’s life!

Edited by Wraith

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hey look, today is Xenoblade Chronicles 2's third anniversary. The game is still on sale on the eShop in all regions which means today/tomorrow is the perfectly fitting time to jump on this game.

Xenoblade 2’s anniversary is the most magical time of the year! Technically it won’t be the third anniversary outside Japan until tomorrow, but the amount of anniversary fan art is still appreciated.

Now we just need a way to convince everyone on this forum to buy it...

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

All of this is helped by the various map objectives.

Yup. The objective variety is one of the many things i really love about VC4

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

especially the final one. I just used the Grenadier Blast Boost+Attack Weak Spot exploit there, because the intended way to clear the map feels very annoying.

I knew it xD

everyone did that, even me on the hard replay for true end haha

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

a few of the negative Potentials are just outright bad

many of them do turn into positive though after paralogues

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I did think Crymeria would be a Selvaria clone at first but the game actually gives her character and i do like her relationship with Klaus

Yay another Crymeria fan. Was never the biggest fan of Selveria ngl, and i like Crymeria more haha

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also i will say that the true end requirements were kinda dumb.

yup

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

i've heard 2 and 3 are varying in quality

2 is school...

3's story and cast are pretty good, but i didn't like the map design (since they are just small segments that keep getting repeated over and over. Thanks PSP. VC2 has the problem as well), at all, which made me drop/put on hold the game.

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Xenoblade 2’s anniversary is the most magical time of the year! Technically it won’t be the third anniversary outside Japan until tomorrow, but the amount of anniversary fan art is still appreciated.

And don't forget, Xenoblade X's fifth anniversary is in a few days so there's gonna be a lot of Xenoblade fanart in general this week.

Of course, convincing people to buy Xenoblade X also means convincing them to buy a whole Wii U as well. Worth the money imo but not everyone wants to buy a console for just one game.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

everyone did that, even me on the hard replay for true end haha

Definitely not as straightforward as the first game's final map. A tank that drives underwater and you can only blow up each radiator once at a time unless you use the exploit? Nah, I'm good haha.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

many of them do turn into positive though after paralogues

That is true thankfully.

I didn't get all of the Squad Stories btw, even for some of the characters I used a lot. Some just never unlocked.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Was never the biggest fan of Selveria ngl, and i like Crymeria more haha

Same. It's ironic Crymeria had inferiority issues with Selvaria considering Crymeria is the way better character. Selvaria had no character beyond blind loyalty to Maximilian.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

3's story and cast are pretty good, but i didn't like the map design (since they are just small segments that keep getting repeated over and over. Thanks PSP. VC2 has the problem as well), at all, which made me drop/put on hold the game.

Yeah, that feels like the kind of thing you'd want to avoid in an SRPG.

Maybe I'll play 3 if I feel like it but idk.

54 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What is this, Animal Crossing? 

Honestly, it looks like i dodged a bullet by dropping the game on the route split.

Yeah, I get that feeling whenever I hear someone talk about Three Houses. It's like, the game's premise and presentation is already off-putting. How come every new piece of information makes the game look even worse somehow?

Edited by BrightBow

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

On being an actually good strategy game and a solid entry in the FE series. Not the best entry, but certainly one of the better ones.

Well, Vestaria Saga is a much better strategy game and only stopped from being "a solid entry in the FE series" by trademark law. All while costing only a fraction of the price.

Edited by BrightBow

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd certainly plan to get it myself at some point...

Personally, I wouldn't bother given its cost. IMO it's mediocre at best and paying 90-ish dollars isn't worthwhile at all.