• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Which one?

The original on PS1. I've heard that that's the best place to start with FFT.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Play FE3 first imo. It tends to get overlooked when discussing SNES FE 

Okay then. I left off one one of the earlier chapters, so I'll probably continue from there.

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Besides the buffs, completing a node on XC2/Torna Affinity Charts is so worth it because of those quotes.

Anything that adds an extra bit of character is good.

I like Pyra's "Don't shout inside my head like that! Talk to me in person, why don't you?!"

Besides being rather out-of-character for her, you get the quote after Rex pulls an "and all you guys!" on calling Pyra part of his family so it appears Mythra isn't too happy about how long Rex is taking to commit.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

The original on PS1. I've heard that that's the best place to start with FFT.

It hasn't aged very well I'd say. The camera angles are bad, the translation is flawed, I'm surprised the story is heralded as "good" after seeing it for myself, and the gameplay is sloooooooooow. To be fair, compared to Fire Emblem all the FFTs are molasses buried in quicksand sitting in a swamp if you ask me, but the original is glacial. It doesn't have the somewhat-charming lineup of fantasy races which the various classes are divvied among in the Advance games either.

6 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I like Pyra's "Don't shout inside my head like that! Talk to me in person, why don't you?!"

Besides being rather out-of-character for her, you get the quote after Rex pulls an "and all you guys!" on calling Pyra part of his family so it appears Mythra isn't too happy about how long Rex is taking to commit.

I'll admit I never noticed this one but then again, I never payed attention to most Affinity Chart quotes until now.

That one sounds pretty funny tho.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It hasn't aged very well I'd say. The camera angles are bad, the translation is flawed, I'm surprised the story is heralded as "good" after seeing it for myself, and the gameplay is sloooooooooow. To be fair, compared to Fire Emblem all the FFTs are molasses buried in quicksand sitting in a swamp if you ask me, but the original is glacial. It doesn't have the somewhat-charming lineup of fantasy races which the various classes are divvied among in the Advance games either.

Since it's being talked about, I'm gonna bring this up but ngl, one thing I don't like about FFT and games inspired by it is just how compact the maps are. That and how they tend to be these floating blocks of land inside a void.

It probably sounds petty, I know, but it kinda turns me off from playing those games.

Is it recommended to play through Book 1 of FE3 first even if I've played FE11?

I don't mind going back through it again, I just didn't think it was necessary.

Edited by twilitfalchion

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Since it's being talked about, I'm gonna bring this up but ngl, one thing I don't like about FFT and games inspired by it is just how compact the maps are. That and how they tend to be these floating blocks of land inside a void.

It probably sounds petty, I know, but it kinda turns me off from playing those games.

I wouldn't disagree with this. I don't think that SRPGs in the FFT mold are very... strategic.

If you ask me, they're JRPGs with movement. Terrain is mostly a nuance at best and doesn't matter, unit placement barely matters. What matters comes down entirely to who you field, what skills they've been taught, and maybe what they're equipped with. They about nuking the enemies with the best spells and cutting techniques you've got, and thats about it. I still had fun with FFTA2, but otherwise I don't particularly care for them ...and the two Devil Survivors kinda fall into this mold too and I love them.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't disagree with this. I don't think that SRPGs in the FFT mold are very... strategic.

If you ask me, they're JRPGs with movement. Terrain is mostly a nuance at best and doesn't matter, unit placement barely matters. What matters comes down entirely to who you field, what skills they've been taught, and maybe what they're equipped with. They about nuking the enemies with the best spells and cutting techniques you've got, and thats about it. I still had fun with FFTA2, but otherwise I don't particularly care for them ...and the two Devil Survivors kinda fall into this mold too and I love them.

Tbh, hearing them described that way makes me not want to bother with them. I don't mind that kind of JRPG with movement approach for something like Trails with its grid movement, but when I'm looking for strategy, I want something more complex than that.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, SRW is always an option...

I'll try an SRW game at some point. I still have that guide to the series you posted saved for when I do, actually.

Just now, Sooks said:

So is Conquest.

Ngl, I'm pretty much done with Fates. I know Conquest has good gameplay, but that's not enough to get me to want to play through it.

I'd rather just play through other FE games, tbh.

shrugs

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ngl, I'm pretty much done with Fates. I know Conquest has good gameplay, but that's not enough to get me to want to play through it.

I'd rather just play through other FE games, tbh.

shrugs

Darn you Camilla!

30 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Is it recommended to play through Book 1 of FE3 first even if I've played FE11?

I don't mind going back through it again, I just didn't think it was necessary.

Personally yes. Even with a few missing content, it's the best version of FE11 imo. Visually, it actually looks good, the music is pretty neat as well. It avoids the FE11 problem of invalidating the Weapon Triangle because the Weapon Triangle does not exist.

Really, the main downside is that it does show it's age, but it's aged significantly the best out of Kaga-era FE.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you ask me, they're JRPGs with movement. Terrain is mostly a nuance at best and doesn't matter, unit placement barely matters. What matters comes down entirely to who you field, what skills they've been taught, and maybe what they're equipped with. They about nuking the enemies with the best spells and cutting techniques you've got, and thats about it.

Yeah, I figured that was how they played.

Edited by Armagon

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Darn you Camilla!

😛 

Seriously though, it’s the fact that there’s basically no story or characters that I want to get invested into on the Nohrian side. That’s usually the main draw to FE for me. At least I liked some of the Hoshidans. That was barely enough to keep me going in BR, although I got bored with that as well.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Personally yes. Even with a few missing content, it's the best version of FE11 imo. Visually, it actually looks good, the music is pretty neat as well. It avoids the FE11 problem of invalidating the Weapon Triangle because the Weapon Triangle does not exist.

Really, the main downside is that it does show it's age, but it's aged significantly the best out of Kaga-era FE.

Okay then. Guess I’ll be starting book 1 then. If I’m playing through both of them I might as well play in order.