Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Been playing some regular Dynasty Warriors 8 again (the extreme legends version), and decided to go through each route again.
It's a really fun experience; ever since reading the novel the games were based on, it has become even more so.

The quite amazing soundtrack of this scenario:
Large bearded man flees from blue team with his kids, while his other kid, Bryce Papenbrook (pictured on the left) dies holding off the enemy. Said family consist of a quiet boy wielding giant blades that enable flight (pictured on the right), a complete waste of space, and my favorite female character in Dynasty Warriors. They get ambushed by the red team, and large, bearded man ends up dying. Other peeps from the green team (large bearded guy's team) show up, but they're completely useless.
In the aftermath, his best buddy, drunk dumb muscle with short temper, gets murdered by his own subordinates, which sends Dimitri's ancestor-in-spirit into a blind rage (because he was sworn brothers with large bearded guy and drunk dumb muscle with short temper), and he tries to take revenge on the red team that ends up costing Dimitri's ancestor-in-spirit's life, because lmao, benevolence, am I right?

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will say I don't hold Fire Emblem in as high regard as I used to. I still like it a lot but there was once a time when I called it my favorite video game series of all time and that clearly isn't the case anymore haha.

In a time before Armagon discovered Xeno, perhaps? ^^

Edited by DragonFlames

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In a time before Armagon discovered Xeno, perhaps? ^^

More like before I played Xenoblade 2. Fire Emblem was still at the top when I played Xenoblade on the New 3DS and that was because i had only played one game. Wasn't really aware of Xenogears and Xenosaga at the time and I didn't have a Wii U so I couldn't jump on the Xenoblade X train.

After I played Xenoblade 2, well, you know the rest.

12 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

It's kinda funny that my favorite character of this game has my least favorite Fire Emblem character as their mirage.

TMS made Tharja an actually good character so I can understand.

"A major breakthrough in Dragon Quest III speedrunning was discovered this Summer, and it's leading to some impressive times. Players have found that by saving the game and quickly toggling the Famicom’s power switch while holding the reset button, they can cause a glitch that maxes out party stats. Super helpful in blowing through the game even quicker than before.

The thing is, getting that glitch to trigger correctly can be quite tricky. Some models of the Famicom are more likely than others to result in the glitch, but there's even more to it than that. Speedrunners have discovered that literally heating up their Famicom can cause a better success rate for the glitch. This is supposedly due to the heating process making the Famicom's internal memory more volatile. This is why players are cooking their Famicoms anywhere from 122° to 176° Fahrenheit to pull off the trick. It's also worth noting that some players have found that cool temperatures can achieve a similar success rate."

Why do this to an ancient system that cannot be replaced? That can't be good at all. I've heard of Zelda glitches from lifting a cartridge slightly out of an N64, but at that that'd only damage the data on the cartridge I think, not the system itself. And, LOL at speedrunning a turn-based RPG, thats gotta be boring.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And, LOL at speedrunning a turn-based RPG, thats gotta be boring

That but I do think speedruns that make heavy use of glitches just completely defeat the point. I'm fine with the occasional sequence break but there's a difference between that and "who can backwards long-jump the fastest".

1 minute ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Honestly it applies to every character.

The FE1 ones got finally some personality.

Agreed.

TMS has one of the stronger casts in FE imo.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'd say for SRPGs, replay value isn't really a concern. Longer games are understandably weak in that regard, even if you like them a lot.

I disagree, at least when it comes to FE. The games that I truly enjoyed, I've replayed many times. I feel FE has great replay value, thanks to RNG stats, big varied casts of units, sometimes branching sets of chapters, characters, etc. So, personally, I do take replay value into consideration when rating FEs.

And length is not a problem, for me at least. Berwick Saga is long, but I love it so much and it has so much content that you can't possibly get in one single run that I'm probably going to replay it a few times yet.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

TMS has one of the stronger casts in FE imo.

I never understood this game. Not saying that I hate it or anything like that, I barely know anything about it, and what little I do know just confuses me. Like, from what I've gathered, the FE characters are sort of ghosts that look nothing like themselves, and then there's completely unrelated characters that have some sort of high school anime adventure...? I assume it makes sense in context. It's all a side effect of knowing nothing about SMT, I suppose.

22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I FORGOT TO LOOK AT THE RECRUITMENT GUIDE LAST CHAPTER

OH NOOOO

I do have turn rewind though... 🙂

Who'd you miss?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I disagree, at least when it comes to FE. The games that I truly enjoyed, I've replayed many times. I feel FE has great replay value, thanks to RNG stats, big varied casts of units, sometimes branching sets of chapters, characters, etc. So, personally, I do take replay value into consideration when rating FEs.

Admittedly, I do view replay value a bit differently. In addition to what you can do differently, I also think about how easy it is to replay a game. RPGs have that slow point at the start of the game which is why I don't often replay them that much, even when I do like them. Xenoblade 2 has a lot of things you can do differently each run but it's not a game I replay often. I usually wait a few months.

Meanwhile, I can boot up Tropical Freeze any day of the week and start a new playthrough cause it's that simple.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I assume it makes sense in context.

It does. TMS is more of a spiritual crossover than a literal one. 

Although it's not like you need to know anything about SMT to enjoy it. Source: me.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's so funny seeing Heroes put above FE4. Even if I don't think FEH should be counted and I disagree with this list, I'll let it slide just to spite Kaga.

Well, I actually meant to put FE7 above FE4, but I misclicked and was too lazy to change it.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yes, Rickard. He's, uh... He's a character, all right.

Poor Rickard, nobody likes him because he's not Julian. But they actually fulfill about the same role, and having a spare thief is useful.

And he's a great character in BSFE! More people should play those chapters in FE12. :Lilina:

1 minute ago, Robert Stewart said:

Poor Rickard, nobody likes him because he's not Julian. But they actually fulfill about the same role, and having a spare thief is useful.

To be honest, I more often than not bench both of them and just have Marth run laps around any maps with chests.

1 minute ago, Robert Stewart said:

And he's a great character in BSFE! More people should play those chapters in FE12. :Lilina:

The Chronicles are awesome. My personal favorite's... Either Dragoon or Beginning. They're both pretty awesome for different reasons. Thieves is actually my least favorite, but it has Malice, so it automatically gets points for that.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be honest, I more often than not bench both of them and just have Marth run laps around any maps with chests.

As in the Fire Emblem actually gives him full thief utility?

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

As in the Fire Emblem actually gives him full thief utility?

It lets him open chests but not doors.

tbh I'd rather have thieves run around and get chests and let Marth focus on getting on the throne so the map can be cleared faster.

Edited by Robert Stewart