Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

As far as I can gather, one of the main points of contention when TMS first released was that it had about as much in common with SMT as a hamster has with a giraffe. Both are mammals, but the similarities pretty much end there. That is to say the only thing they have in common is that they're both video games.
The only "SMT" in TMS is the oddball skill names and maybe elements of the battle system, as far as I know. 

But storylines, characters, and everything else isn't what SMT is about at all. I can 100% tell you that much.

The battles are certainly based in SMT’s format. Coming off of Strange Journey, you could adapt fairly quickly (no Sector Eridanus or Shekinah thankfully). Although the Carnage system reminds me more of Mantras from Digital Devil Saga, as does the presence of a fixed cast over fusible demons. TMS is fun SMT gameplay to me. It’s not a copy of any particular SMT, but a spinoff that executed its particular take on modern SMT fairly well.

There are various little SMT references in TMS too. The accessory boutique is named after Decarabia for instance, the Fallen that looks like a starfish. They chose it, because a Decarabia NPC was in Shibuya, the same place as the TMS shop, in Nocturne. There, Decarabia waited for Forneus to arrive, the Fallen that looks like a manta ray. There is just one problem for Decarabia, as you left the hospital that is the first dungeon, you killed Forneus the first boss. So Decarabia, no matter how frustrated they get, waits the entire game for someone who will never arrive, and they won’t believe someone as weak as you could’ve killed them.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I thought Graces F was considered one of the weaker ones. Or was it vanilla Graces?

From what I’ve heard, the Japan-only Wii original version was a little lacking, the PS3 port must’ve made some significant improvements.

Overall, Graces f is considered by many fans (not all of course) to have one of the better combat systems of Tales. Even possibly the absolute best as a recent poll showed.

That’s about the only thing Graces has going for it. The story is literally about a friendship pact for way too much of it, wasting the interesting premise of how people can change over time, for the game begins with a prologue with several of the heroes as children and the main story starts like 10 years later when they’re in their late teens. The cast is poor, the world is linear and undeveloped, the music is merely typical.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Graces F was one of my weaker Tales games I've played storywise although its battle system was pretty good. It also features my most favorite dungeon puzzle in the entire Tales series:

Anyways I misused this night to create some ideas for a story script of the SRPG Studio. I have an idea for the plot, but I don't know, if I can execute it in the SRPG Studio since this programm has overwhelmed me so far. I don't even know how to make allied units. The ones I made turned into green NPCs for some reason.

So I'm in the first real dungeon of CrossCode and I have to complete it solo due to story reasons (you're only other party member is like "let's see who can complete it first") and I gotta say, if I have to do every dungeon solo, then I'm absolutely tweaking the difficulty a bit. When I have party members, I'll play as intended (unless I'm grinding) but when going solo, it's so easy for multiple enemies to just overwhelm you, even if you're appropriately leveled and equipped.

2020122923471700-AD0B3B2F03800567E0E43C7

This is fine for solo combat, I feel.

30 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Overall, Graces f is considered by many fans (not all of course) to have one of the better combat systems of Tales. Even possibly the absolute best as a recent poll showed.

That’s about the only thing Graces has going for it. The story is literally about a friendship pact for way too much of it, wasting the interesting premise of how people can change over time, for the game begins with a prologue with several of the heroes as children and the main story starts like 10 years later when they’re in their late teens. The cast is poor, the world is linear and undeveloped, the music is merely typical.

I see. Cause I do remember hearing that Graces F wasn't that good. Seems like a case of a game with strong gameplay but weak writing. Which is fine, that's better than the opposite.

CrossCode dungeons seem like they take a whole to complete so I'm gonna take a short break and boot up Radiant Dawn.

Besides, the way I see it, I can predict some maps are gonna make me wanna chuck my Wiimote through the TV so whenever that happens, I can just go back to CrossCode.

Is someone acknowledged with the SRPG Studio?

I found out how to create units, make growthrates and make weapons, but whenever I created an unit with the set bases, the unit is shown with the default bases.

PaG3eaa.png?2yTTmskl.png?2

Not only the stats aren't transferred, but only the second created ally is missing.

What did I do wrong?

19 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Is someone acknowledged with the SRPG Studio?

I found out how to create units, make growthrates and make weapons, but whenever I created an unit with the set bases, the unit is shown with the default bases.

Just making sure, you remembered to apply the changes?

19 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Not only the stats aren't transferred, but only the second created ally is missing.

I think I know the problem here. There are two different test plays-One that just loads the first unit in the list alone, and a second actually generates the map. The map test you're looking for is (I think) under the map editor. I could be mistaken, though, as I am somewhat new to SRPG studio myself.

(By the way, you change where the deployment slots are avaliable by dragging the numbered flags on the map.)

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

Just making sure, you remembered to apply the changes?

The created units and story are saved.

I think I know the problem here. There are two different test plays-One that just loads the first unit in the list alone, and a second actually generates the map. The map test you're looking for is (I think) under the map editor. I could be mistaken, though, as I am somewhat new to SRPG studio myself.

Yeah, there are multiple play buttons, but clicking on all of them gives me the same result / problem.

(By the way, you change where the deployment slots are avaliable by dragging the numbered flags on the map.)

Yeah, I found out.

So while I knew Radiant Dawn had mid-battle saves, I thought it was a once per map deal. Didn't know until now that you can do it each turn. Awesome, that should spare me potential moments of frustration.

Ooh, the created character has my set bases in the battle preparations now (I have no idea how this has happened). However the second created unit still isn't listed in the battle preparations.

So while I knew Radiant Dawn had mid-battle saves, I thought it was a once per map deal. Didn't know until now that you can do it each turn. Awesome, that should spare me potential moments of frustration.

You can save at any time. And this is the best way how to learn FIre Emblem by redoing a turn infinite times. It's way better than casual mode or turnwheel.

Edited by Jules Necrofantasia

2 hours ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Ooh, the created character has my set bases in the battle preparations now (I have no idea how this has happened). However the second created unit still isn't listed in the battle preparations.

You have to go into map setting and check the sorite options

jzUzdz0.png

you've to play wih these options iirc

I gotta refresh my sprg studio knowledge sine i haven't been using it for a while

Edited by Father Shrimpas

3 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

You have to go into map setting and check the sorite options

jzUzdz0.png

you've to play wih these options iirc

To be precise, "fixed units" are force-deployed units. "Sortie restriction" are units that cannot be deployed.

@Jules Necrofantasia

Here are some tutorials that i used myself to get into the software 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mjsz9pwQ9Z_WGZZsmlApPyoycNjLhN3VDzzS_cHZnIM/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Og-pjp5fccwq2Fo5kBeQDX4ejIxm-pF8P_niwos48b0/edit?usp=sharing

There's also this one japanese site, but google translate should be enough to understand what's going on
http://srpg-studio-study.blog.jp/

Edited by Father Shrimpas

I've been laughing at this for too long. Funniest shit I've seen in a while. I don't even know why, it just sent me rolling.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

I haven’t actually seen any fans outside of this thread.

That... just makes me sad. #PlayBerwick

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Only on normal mode, though. Hard removes them... As well as the ability to see enemy ranges, for some undiscernible reason.

I tried to find the full version of this and failed, I'm quite disappointed.

https://i.imgur.com/BGWD9Wi.mp4

I'm not even wanting to find it because of memes, this rendition's that good.

And on top of that it's been confirmed at least one or two people we've been in contact with have been confirmed as close contacts of those who are being tested now, so that's just lovely /s

1 hour ago, Father Shrimpas said:

@Jules Necrofantasia

Here are some tutorials that i used myself to get into the software 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mjsz9pwQ9Z_WGZZsmlApPyoycNjLhN3VDzzS_cHZnIM/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Og-pjp5fccwq2Fo5kBeQDX4ejIxm-pF8P_niwos48b0/edit?usp=sharing

There's also this one japanese site, but google translate should be enough to understand what's going on
http://srpg-studio-study.blog.jp/

Thanks!

I already used a guide before, and honestly it didn't really help me in many points.

Still it's not possible to deploy a second unit  - despite following the description - and I can't autoend a map once all enemies are defeated.

jzUzdz0.png

I did this before actually, and it didn't solve the issue.

Still can only pick the lord in the battle preparations.

21 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Still it's not possible to deploy a second unit  - despite following the description - and I can't autoend a map once all enemies are defeated.

I had this problem when I started as well. It's not very intuitive: you have to go to database > config > initial information > initial members. There, you can pick any of the characters in your database to be available from the beginning of the game.

To autoend a map once all enemies are routed, you have to create an auto event. It's one of the blue buttons just below "edit map". Once you're in the auto events menu, click on the circled thing in the image (I couldn't come up with any way to properly explain that).

2eapkycb o

In the window that will open, go to "unit total." There, you can set the event to play when the unit total for the enemy army is 0. Once you've set up the circumstances for the event to trigger, just add a "chapter complete" command.

Jj9uk9tz o

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The battles are certainly based in SMT’s format. Coming off of Strange Journey, you could adapt fairly quickly (no Sector Eridanus or Shekinah thankfully). Although the Carnage system reminds me more of Mantras from Digital Devil Saga, as does the presence of a fixed cast over fusible demons. TMS is fun SMT gameplay to me. It’s not a copy of any particular SMT, but a spinoff that executed its particular take on modern SMT fairly well.

That bolded statement makes it seem like the dungeons are Strange Journey-like.
Which is about as foreboding to me as someone saying "hey, is your nuclear reactor supposed to do that?"

But I see. So my grapevine wasn't wrong in this regard. Thanks for the info!

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

I see. Cause I do remember hearing that Graces F wasn't that good.

I blame myself for that, since I think it is overall the weakest in the series from what I played of it, gameplay included.

---

Good day everyone!

I played some Blue Reflection this morning and got to the first boss.
H1MHcj0.jpg
Still creeps me the hell out.

Edited by DragonFlames

My Tales of Tier list of games i've played so far.

9b5906248c3589f344311cf5e64e23ef.png

Edit: Keep in mind i tried to consider every aspect of the games and not just gameplay.

Also note that gameplay is also my foremost concern when rating a game, sooo yeah.

I wouldn't mind hearing opinions from other Tales of fans! If you agree, disagree, have an opinion, anything!

Edited by lightcosmo

All I can really comment on is that I would switch Berseria and Vesperia, and I'd put Abyss next to it, and I'd probably change the tier names a little.
Then again, I am the guy who holds a game in high regard that pretty much the entire fanbase hates or at least agrees that it's not good. So...

I slept in that bed. My response:

MYYYYY BAAAAACK

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That... just makes me sad. #PlayBerwick

Well, they just didn’t say they were KagaSaga fans 😉 so they wouldn’t get quoted 50 times by people saying “fans of what?”😛

Has anyone else been having issues with tiermaker? Like you can’t click on anything and it reloads itself, then you can’t click on anything again and the screen goes white?

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

That bolded statement makes it seem like the dungeons are Strange Journey-like.
Which is about as foreboding to me as someone saying "hey, is your nuclear reactor supposed to do that?"

Well, it isn’t EO square by square labyrinths, the Idolasphere dungeons are freely walked around in third person in 3D. (Classic SMT is EO dungeons BTW, but practically never fun, they’re bland.)

TMS does throw a puzzle or two into each dungeon. On a scale from “Tales of Graces” where the puzzles are so easy they might as well not exist, to “Tales of Symphonia” where the puzzles can be overwhelming, TMS isn’t ToS, but definitely closer to it than ToG. A couple of the latter ones might take some time/trial & error, but the only time I got really frustrated was the lategame Chapter 1 dungeon revisit. The figuring out the right configuration of maid mannequin arm elevations to travel through was difficult. 

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I had this problem when I started as well. It's not very intuitive: you have to go to database > config > initial information > initial members. There, you can pick any of the characters in your database to be available from the beginning of the game.

To autoend a map once all enemies are routed, you have to create an auto event. It's one of the blue buttons just below "edit map". Once you're in the auto events menu, click on the circled thing in the image (I couldn't come up with any way to properly explain that).

2eapkycb o

In the window that will open, go to "unit total." There, you can set the event to play when the unit total for the enemy army is 0. Once you've set up the circumstances for the event to trigger, just add a "chapter complete" command.

Jj9uk9tz o

Both worked out!

Thanks!