• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Why is there a sci-fi battleship in the background tho?

Roughly explained, that is actually a city, born from the special ability (or "Noble Phantasm", as Fate calls it) of the main villain of the game.

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Roughly explained, that is actually a city, born from the special ability (or "Noble Phantasm", as Fate calls it) of the main villain of the game.

Oh that's neat. I honestly get JoJo vibes from that because an ability that takes the form of a city does not feel out of place in JoJo.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Oh that's neat. I honestly get JoJo vibes from that because an ability that takes the form of a city does not feel out of place in JoJo.

Then again, is anything out of place in JoJo?

23 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If you're gonna go the completionist route, would you like a list of all the timed quests? Unlike Trails, Xenoblade 1's timed quests don't actually tell you when they expire, just that they will at some point. Most of the timed quests share the same expiry date though a fewĀ expire at earlier points in the story.

nah, thank you xD

There's a reason why i am only ''kinda completionist'' and a real one. I like to discover and do everything on my own. If i miss something it's not that bad, but i want to try and get everything, so to say

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Then again, is anything out of place in JoJo?

True lmao.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

nah, thank you xD

There's a reason why i am only ''kinda completionist'' and a real one. I like to discover and do everything on my own. If i miss something it's not that bad, but i want to try and get everything, so to say

That's fair. Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

nah, thank you xD

I'm similar in that regard. On a first playthrough, unless I'm REALLY stuck, I try and find as many things by myself as I can. It's really only on subsequent playthroughs where I look stuff up and really look into what I missed out on the first time through.

Just now, Armagon said:

True lmao.

I only know about JoJo through the omnipresent memes and quotes, but that is my main takeaway from it. XD

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

I only know about JoJo through the omnipresent memes and quotes, but that is my main takeaway from it. XD

The memes and quotes make about as much sense with context than they do out of context.

And then there's Battle Tendency, which doesn't make sense even by series standards

Ā 

This clip is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rule one of JoJo: Never ask why.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ah i see. But then Jude showing up in Berseria seems to be an exception to the rule since it seems to be an actual sidequest story.

At a certain point in the franchise, they swapped over toĀ adding aĀ measure ofĀ storyĀ substance to the fanservice battle I believe, but I don't know which game that was.

Ā 

8 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Apparently Grant Imahara from Mythbusters died of a brain aneurysm. 2020 got even worse. Mythbusters was my fucking childhood

Wow, the guy certainly couldn't have been that old (*checks*Ā he was 39). RIP the Mythbuster youngĀ trio's nerd. May ParadiseĀ be ConfirmedĀ for thee.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

---

I opted to prioritize getting the three remainingĀ characters I hadn't yet recruited- Alexa, Frye and Hope.

Alexa and Frye were fine, I took a relaxing stroll along Primordia's northern shores and mostly waded from sandbank to sandbank in their chain into Primordia Waters, wherein the lvlĀ ~36 Ganglion forces ledĀ me to swim around the island onto the final stretch of sand after which a little more water and then stepped onto the beaches of Sylvalum. The enemies around Seabird's Peak don't exceed 20, and many are peaceful and avoidable, it's a welcoming front door mat. Then you step through the door to this world concealed from the outsideĀ by colossalĀ blue curvatures of rock, greeted by two nonaggressive (on-foot) Oc-Servs, beyond them, the unearthly world of Sylvalum. I didn't have to stay there for long, neither Frye nor Alexa required me to get as far the shores ofĀ Lake Ciel- effectively three steps into this bizarre world. Their missions were done fast, all I needed was to keep in mind that wonderfulĀ Xe-dom monitoring the ashen sands for big metal objects and the Aeviters in hiding.Ā 

Hope on the other hand... why doĀ they force you to go to Cauldros to recruit her? For the sake of one Nopon, as if there weren't Caravans in three other regions where this could've taken place? Yet, I wanted Hope, now. I had two option, and the first was toĀ run through Sylvalum not enjoying its sceneryĀ and risk dying once and again and again during the sprint. The second, was to swim from Sylvalum to Cauldros, thereby avoiding all enemies. There is a tiny bit of low-leveled territory in northwestern Cauldros near where I needed to be where I could go ashore.Ā 

I chose the second possibility, I warped to the entrance of Sylvalum, hopped in the waters to the west, and spent a good... 15 minutes? Swimmmmmmmmmmmmming at sprinting speed along the edge of Sylvalum. Boy it was tedious, thank goodness the Wii U Gamepad meant I could watch TV during my foolish undertaking. I found two packs of level 60 Duogills in the watersĀ nearĀ the Cavernous Abyss, odd because who would normally encounter them? I should've waited until I got my Skell License that was now available for this water crossing, because Skells hover over water waaaay faster than humans swim, but I didn't want to get Skells yet, I was impatient and Skells shrink the world and make combat more cheesy.

After too long, I crossed into Cauldros and gave Cross, Hope, Lao, and H.B. a break from setting aquaticĀ worldĀ records, I reached the Far Isle of Tzu'o's lowlands, protected by Ganglion- but their levels were single digit. Not finding the shore I thought was around to board the mainland, I swam back to long slope with some lvl 12 Petramands on it and enteredĀ from there, passing carefully by a 25 Zig and finding some 13 Caecuses up there. I looked in the magnificence of the lava lakes and I could see the White Phosphor Lake to boot, with Trueno sitting over the teleporter to that free Reflect Ether Augment. I surveyed the area below for the safe Caravan of kind Nopon I needed to visit withĀ lvl ~36 enemies around it, and jumped down to the location. After a quick chat there, it was a hazardous dash past strong enemies to my targets- some 13 Caros, which were so out of place- a huge 40 Caro came within six feetĀ and almost ate me, were it not for its sight blocked by a piece of stone debris. The enemies were slain, and as I headed back,Ā I aggroed the same Caro I was almost seen by before and luckily got back to the Caravan. I returned to NLA afterwards, and the most-poorly locatedĀ mission in the game (or close to it because of its early availability)Ā was completed.

With everyone able to tag along now, I feel better about tackling more quests now and completing more exploration. I'm not sure, but mass Nopon arrival in NLA still doesn't look possible, maybe the Orphe are in the works tho. Gotta hope so tomorrow.

Next DQV update.

Spoiler

Alright, with the Ultimate Key, time to head around the world once more. There's less doors needing to open this time around, but overall the loot is better. Even if it's mostly Mini Medals, but there was also the Golden Tiara. Madchen's ultimate headgear (well, any female human's, but once more Madchen's the only one around), and it even gives a chance to protect from a few status ailments.

So, before heading to Crocodilopolis, I'll go to the Mantleplace. It's an optional dungeon but with good loot. It does have something of an annoying puzzleĀ of needing to push blocks onto floor tiles. On each floor they disable the monster encounters... which is needed since apparently this place is where the encounter rates went, because sheesh! Anyway, once every block has been moved, we can get the main prize of the dungeon: The Pallium Regale! Madason's ultimate armour. Also in the cave I found the Hela Hammer. A cursed piece of equipment with an interesting gimmick. It always crits... but has a low hit rate in exchange. Usually 3/8 or 1/4 depending on the game. I think for this one it's the latter, though I'm not sure. Of my current party only Sancho can equip it. Well, there you go.

Now then, off to Crocodilopolis! And the reason most go for the Ultimate Key before heading here is because the Zenithian Armour is in this place, but behind a cell door that needs the key. Now the set is complete. However, something I found a little annoying was that this place seems to function as a town in the sense that my party gets reorganized. Whenever visiting a town or so, if there are monsters in the active party, they get replaced with any human party members in the backupĀ party. So now Sancho's back in the active party. No way to put my Golem back up, so I'll guess this is how it will go. Ended up not being a big concern, ultimately. Gave him the Golem's Hela's Armour for the breath protection option and that was that.

Right off the bat there's a boss battle with Queen Ferz. He (despite the chess position, he's not female, though he first shows up shape-shifted asĀ Madason's mother) wasn't hard. He can cast Kacrackle and Kassizle, as well having the Inferno breath attack. As usual, Insulatle, Oomph, Madchen with the Staff of Salvation. Since I had Sancho with the Hela Hammer, well, that ended up coming down to luck.

After doing the dungeon proper, it was finally time to face King Korol! The game then threw another fast one. I was already resigned to fight with HelaHammer!Sancho... only to find the wagon gets summoned just before the fight starts! So I could've switched him for my Golem. However, since the Hela's Armour was on Sancho, the Golem would be at a disadvantage. Korol knows Bounce and Kaboom, but also has C-c-cold Breath. So the Golem would have no ice breath protection. Fortunately, Sancho managed to hit most of the time, and with every hit being a critical... yep. Which is also good since Korol knows Disruptive Wave, so Insulatle and Oomph would need to be recast as needed. In the end, Korol was also not a hard fight.

And now Ladja shows up and kills Korol. This was also another addition. In the SNES original, Nimzo did the deed. Anyway, at last, Nera has been saved! Hoorah! And now everyone's back at Gotha. The final stretch is finally here. Time to head to Nadiria, save Madalena, and finish off Nimzo once and for all!

But that will be for next time.

Ā 

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

This clip is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rule one of JoJo: Never ask why.

"Our war has begun", he says to a guy that's clearly dead.
Yeah, makes sense. XD

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At a certain point in the franchise, they swapped over toĀ adding aĀ measure ofĀ storyĀ substance to the fanservice battle I believe, but I don't know which game that was.

As far as I'm aware, that game was Berseria. I could be wrong, though, since I've never seen the cameo battle in Zestiria.

---

As for my own endeavors with Dragon Quest V, I was somewhat stuck in the Uptaten Towers. Those Wax Murderers are pretty strong.
I mostly did some leveling up in the overworld after that. Thankfully, Bianca finally learned a skill with which she can do at least a semblance of damage and the Hero can heal. Will it be enough to save the cursed owners of the Uptaten Towers from their ghastly fate? We'll see. My main concern right now is MP consumption, since resting at an inn is really the only way to restore it. Some MP healing items would be nice. I expect/hope those will come into play a bit later.
As for what I think of it so far, the start is a bit slow, but I was told it gets better soon. Gameplay is pretty standard turn-based stuff, nothing bad here. I just have to put on different music when battling a lot, since the regular battle theme can get quite dull after a while.

For those that understand FFXIII's benchmarks, this is where i'm at so far.

Ā 

1518279637_updatedteam2.jpg.4b25abac94bc0b69fec8a1e73fa7ea2d.jpg

Edit: just realized the quality of this picture is pretty bad, so I might have to take another one.

Ā 

Edited by lightcosmo

23 minutes ago, Caster said:

Playing through DQVII, and since my girlfriend requested I start it, a bit of Celeste as well.

Finally, somebody else who has a ball and cha...I mean, lovely girlfriend!Ā 

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

"Our war has begun", he says to a guy that's clearly dead.
Yeah, makes sense. XD

Nah, he's still alive. The guy he shot is a vampire, and vampires in JoJo can only be killed through sunlight or through the sun karate magic known as Hamon. Though completely obliterating the head does at least incapacitate them for a good while.

All that said, JoJo be characters be like "tis just a flesh wound" as they have several holes blasted through their bodies.

29 minutes ago, Caster said:

a bit of Celeste as well.

Oooh, this game is good. Satisfying platformer imo.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Me: Listens to some XB OST on youtube

Youtube: aright time to become a minefield

Spoilers?

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

All that said, JoJo be characters be like "tis just a flesh wound" as they have several holes blasted through their bodies.

That's anime for ya.

---

So... uh... Fate Extella Link. I unlocked Artoria as a playable character.
She's ridiculously fun to play as, but, just like I thought, her Excalibur Noble Phantasm is pretty underwhelming. Certainly not the visual spectacle that is Gawain's Excalibur Galatine. It doesn't help that a "smaller" version of her NP is also one of her active skills.

But more importantly:
01Ocpoa.jpg
Saberfaces!

Also, there is a battle right after you unlock OG Saber (a.k.a. Artoria) that pits you against Extella Link's Saberfaces (i.e. Nero, Artoria, and Jeanne d'Arc - the latter of whom you unlock as a playable character right aftewards).
They knew whatĀ  they were doing...

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

umu umu

Figures!
I refused to look up or listen to the full soundtrack for many games I play for the first time, just because of spoilers. Unless I know exactly what track I'm looking for through the in-game music library, as was the case for FEL recently.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

King_Arthur.meme

Gilles (in continuation of that Fate/Zero "running gag"): "Hey, you're Jeanne!"
Artoria: "No, I'm not."
Gilles: "You're Jeanne, though."
Artoria: "No. I'm not!"
Nero: "Hey, you're King Arthur! Join me!"
Artoria: "You want me to join you?"
Nero: "Yes, you look just like me!"
Artoria: "Can you people stop judging me by my face?!?" *goes batshit crazy and becomes the stage boss*

That's basically the scene that introduces Artoria in a nutshell.

That being said, Type Moon seems to be very ready to embrace its own memes. The Polygamist Castration Fist became an actual attack for Tamamo to use, Lu Bu was introduced as the "Tamamo Killer" in Extella (which was apparently his fan nickname in Extra), Lancer dying over and over in Carnival, and now this Saberface stuff.
All we need now is a resurgence of the A.U.O. Cast Off! thi--- no, scratch that.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Gilles

One of the worst fate characters ever. Right down there with Shitji

Ā 

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That being said, Type Moon seems to be very ready to embrace its own memes.

Type Meme

Just now, Shrimperor said:

One of the worst fate characters ever. Right down there with Shitji

Yep. Guy creeps me the hell out.
He's a recurring villain in Extella Link, so you get to beat him up a bunch, which is quite cathartic.
Killing him as Jeanne must be fun...

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Type Meme

Should be their new name.

Reminds me, there was this scene right here:
Bn2WOhm.jpg
That there in the background, who she is talking to while she says what she does...
Monkeyflippin' irony.