• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah, I see. The dungeon you're about to enter is kinda stinky but the following areas after that are kino.

Okay, then. I’ll probably check it out sometime. Got to finish some other games first though.

5 minutes ago, Benice said:

mean I've never played an FF game either but still.

I haven’t either.

Unless Bravely Default counts? Yeah, BD counts. XD

Edited by twilitfalchion

Fun fact, my first FF game was X-2.

My pre-teen self didn't mind, natch.

Though for a long while I was left wondering about X... had this wild thought that it was the sequel to Kingdom Hearts, haha.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, you haven't!?

Nope! A non-comprehensive list of games I've finished:

Spoiler

Skyward Sword

Minish Cap

Ocarina Of Time

Wind Waker HD

Twilight Princess

Breath of the wild

Age of Calamity

Kirby's Epic yarn

Kirby's return to dreamland

Mariokart Wii

Mariokart 8

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2

Most FEs

NiGHTS: Journey of dreams

Brave: A warrior's tale

Sonic and All-stars racing transformed

Yoshi's Woolly World.

I think that's all the games I've played, but I could be forgetting one or two.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I wonder if i will ever be able to get into any squeenix game...

Well, there's certainly not a lack of games.

What strikes your fancy?

14 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Gotta correct that, I'd say. Start with IV... no, VI! Uh... V? X? Hmm...

Yeah, I'm not sure which FF would be the ideal starting point. With Dragon Quest, it'd be an easy VIII or XI recommendation and a major dissuasion regarding VII. Final Fantasy doesn't work the same way, partly because of it trying to reinvent itself so often.

FFV has a fun class system, but the narrative is the weakest of its era. IV is fast and but a tad simple in gameplay. VI is the most ambitious of the 16-bit era, but honestly it needs serious gameplay improvements, it just isn't sophisticated as is. The 8-bit era is purely historical novelty at this point. I wouldn't recommend VIII as a first, VII probably because of its fame (but gameplaywise it's only somewhat better than VI, not a real complement). Still haven't played IX. X didn't exactly rub me the right way. XI and XIV are MMOs. XII is different and I had personal issues with it...

...Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 Grimoire of the Rift. Yes, thats the definite starting point for FF. I won't hear it otherwise.😜

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

The thing about Square Enix RPGs is that I look at them and go "yep that sure is an RPG" and then I don't think about it too much.

At least as far as their mainstream stuff goes (which is a lot, Square Enix is in the public conscious), Square Enix RPGs don't particularly stand out to me. I don't mean this in like a bad way, I just don't gravitate towards them despite liking the genre.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Just something special about those games compared to others.

Maybe the game being called Rune Factory 4 special.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Same.

For the absolute last resort, Chrono Trigger. If that fails, well, all is lost. 

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

The thing about Square Enix RPGs is that I look at them and go "yep that sure is an RPG" and then I don't think about it too much.

At least as far as their mainstream stuff goes (which is a lot, Square Enix is in the public conscious), Square Enix RPGs don't particularly stand out to me. I don't mean this in like a bad way, I just don't gravitate towards them despite liking the genre.

Well when they invented the genre, it's hard to stand out. They are the standard that has been copied by many a mass produced JRPG since. It's why I'd expect Chrono Trigger to fail for you, because the cheery, bright, fun 16-bit JRPG experience that CT apotheosized, has been cloned to no end.

Part of me also wants to say age is a problem. The golden ages that made Square and Enix so famed are decades in the past now. I have a fraction of a mind that says "JRPGs are on the whole only improving with the passage of time", not good for SE. But, then I'm reminded of games that should really make me question that notion.

32 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Bravely Default is pretty good, IMO.

I tried the BD2 demo...

It was ok, i guess? Not something i would spend 60€ on or play for 50 hours though, but maybe a 10hour adventure or something

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah something like that. Somehow they stick to close to the formula or something that makes it hard for me to play them for long.

Although FF7R is lookin a bit different so if it ever gets ported i might give it a try. Dunno.

Edited by Shrimperor

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Hehe morning Jules!

Hopefully you will have a nice sunday^^

Thanks Shrimpy, hopefully same for you!

Night was good which has not been my standard at all lately.

Day will be...whatever...lying in the bed and playing games for most of the time, I guess - typical gaming sunday.

Wait...

OH YES

I can add Thracia capture to my game...

All hail SRPG studio.

That said, I may limit it to certain units. Or something. I dunno. But me likey.

Mornin', Jules!

Edited by Benice

Good morning european teeheers! It became Sunday over in the eastern U.S. 33 minutes ago.

1 hour ago, Benice said:

FFFFFFFEFRFDFHJKSJHG

HAYATO JUST DIED BECAUSE RINKAH LANDED A CRIT WHILE SHE WAS IN ATTACK STANCE

Smh not having him end up with Sakura.

Anyway yay you’re playing again! I wish I had joined the Conquest cult back before I told you to start with Birthright, but alas. The padawan will get their eventually.

Ah well, not gonna reset. More space for generics, I suppose.

>using genetics in birthright

lol

Enemies so rarely have skills that they are straight downgrades. (Yes I know this convinces you to use them.)

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

I wonder if i will ever be able to get into any squeenix game...

59 minutes ago, Jules Necrofantasia said:

Sounds like me.

Don’t like the typical Square Enix game? Then Life is Strange is the game for you!

Maybe

...but I wouldn’t count on it 🥲

Edited by Sooks

My problem is that all Square Enix games had the same issues for me.

Octopath Traveler is the best example how to make a JRPG become instantly unenjoyable to me:

• no different difficulties
  • random encounters
  • much grinding required to overcome a boss

The only hope left for me is I am Setsuna which I haven't started yet.