Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't like the sprites, especially gba ones and think they are massively overrated

SNES ones are fine, but i honestly prefer 3DS style over most the series

Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one. 3DS, I can... understand, sort of, but Three Houses is just... how can anyone think that's visually appealing at all? THe game doesn't even have a basic friggin' anti-alias! Jaggies all over the place! It's hilariously bad in that aspect and all others but meh!

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Now that's a hot take if I ever saw one. 3DS, I can... understand, sort of, but Three Houses is just... how can anyone think that's visually appealing at all? THe game doesn't even have a basic friggin' anti-alias! Jaggies all over the place! It's hilariously bad in that aspect and all others but meh!

There's a reason why i said 3DS  and not 3H xD

Edited by Shrimperor

Hard to say how good the 3DS animations actually are. Considering the constant freezes destroy any flow they otherwise might have.

The GBA ones were definitely terrible too, but for different reasons. It's basically the battle of the gifs.

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

There's a reason why is said 3DS  and not 3H xD

Good, at least we can agree to that. 3DS... Well, my image of the 3DS FEs is a bit muddled. Awakening's old and they didn't know how to 3DS yet, as evidenced by the whole "feet are too demanding on the hardware" nonsense; Fates had all the amazing bugs that did nothing but improve my experience, and Echoes I played on my tiny-ass first edition 3DS that made my eyes burn after barely an hour of playtime, so... I can't really judge them properly.

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The GBA ones were definitely terrible too, but for different reasons. It's basically the battle of the gifs.

I like the GBA animations in a vacuum, but after playing SNES FE, TRS and BWS the lack of "dynamism" to them is quite glaring. Sure, fancy flips and all, but there aren't even different animations for doubling. The fancier they are, the more grating the repeats are.

That being said, no game has worse battle animations than DSFE. Hot take, I like DSFE's portrait and map artstyles, but the combat sprites are just... Eugh.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That being said, no game has worse battle animations than DSFE. Hot take, I like DSFE's portrait and map artstyles, but the combat sprites are just... Eugh.

I never liked them myself back in the day but after spending so many runs of Echoes trying to force myself to like that game's animations, I was shocked just how pleasant they were when I came back to those games.
The DS animations aren't great but at least they are actually animated. The game doesn't freeze for 10 seconds every time a critical hit occurs.
...not exactly helped by the fact that those long freezes don't even have a payoff. Usually it's just a normal attack with some extra particle effects.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

And i have 0 faith in Falcom that it will be as good as XB2

Xenoblade 2 can't be topped anyway.

Well aside from Xenoblade X but it's just preference at that point.

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE going 3D only made it uglier for no good reason. Even the better-looking 3D FEs are nothing more than just kinda okay visually, and at worst you have something like Three Houses, which looks like a freeware Wii game and suffers from FPS drops in spite of the fact that it has a 30 FPS cap. You compare that to something like Berwick Saga and there's just no competition.

That being said, the 3D in Fire Emblem Warriors does look pretty nice. Well on Switch anyway. Looks a lot cleaner.

It's like a Pokemon situation, a franchise that didn't really need to go 3D for the mainline but the spin-offs in 3D look pretty good.

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but after playing SNES FE, TRS and BWS the lack of "dynamism" to them is quite glaring.

Speaking of, i do think it's pretty funny how Berwick makes me watch a cavalier unit cross rivers, mountains and bridges before they hit the enemy with the pointy stick.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

DSFE sprites feel like 3D models they turned into 2D tbh.

16 minutes ago, Benice said:

?

Sooks wrote, “Doesn’t have his well-being prioritized over everyone else’s by the court system due to being a minor so that multiple people’s lives are put in danger and/or ruined just so what the kid wants to happen will happen.“ I have no idea what he’s talking about.

I finished fe4. So I’m back, I was gone because I new my last post would spawn a potential oasis of spoilers.

18 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Hey Benice, has Sooks finally lost the plot?

No.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Speaking of, i do think it's pretty funny how Berwick makes me watch a cavalier unit cross rivers, mountains and bridges before they hit the enemy with the pointy stick.

I can't tell if you mean it as a good or a bad thing. You can probably guess what I think about it.

Also, there's a purpose to that. In Berwick Saga, when a unit attacks another unit at melee range, the unit attacking "moves" to the target's tile for the duration of the fight. This isn't displayed in the overworld, but what it means is that any terrain effects in the target's tile apply to the attacker as well. It's important to remember.

Besides, it make take a bit too long, but it's better than a floating tile with a carpet painted on it that's supposed to represent a throne.

czGnu9s.png

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

DSFE sprites feel like 3D models they turned into 2D tbh.

That's probably kinda what they tried to go for. It was not a good decision.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I finished fe4. So I’m back, I was gone because I new my last post would spawn a potential oasis of spoilers.

Very much did. So, what did you think? On a scale from Hilda to Arden, what rating do you give it?

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can't tell if you mean it as a good or a bad thing.

Oh i just think it's funny.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but it's better than a floating tile with a carpet painted on it that's supposed to represent a throne.

czGnu9s.png

Counterpoint: FE GBA battles take place in Final Destination.

latest.png?width=768&height=432

D Tactics. Aw yeah 😎

That was easily the second best Fire Emblem. Great game!

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Very much did. So, what did you think? On a scale from Hilda to Arden, what rating do you give it?

Gatekeeper.

And no, I don’t remember anyone ever saying Deirdre was related to Loptyr or anything that would lead one to think so.

I would put fe4 in S or A tier on my Fire Emblem tier list but tier maker never works for me, so...

Edited by Sooks

Gonna briefly join on this rare GBA Hate-Train and say that, while the animations are certainly made with high quality, they get very repetitive, very quick. Not bad, but just uninteresting; you've seen one character crit once, you've seen it every time. 

Here's what I think of the animations: BWS > Echoes > FE5 > FE4 > RD > TRS > GBA > FE3 > Fates > Awakening > 3H > DSFE > Vestaria (who the hell plays VS1 with animations???)

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I would put fe4 in S or A tier on my Fire Emblem tier list but tier maker never works for me, so...

If you're on mobile, tierlist maker is dogshit.

2 minutes ago, Spara said:

Here's what I think of the animations: BWS > Echoes > FE5 > FE4 > RD > TRS > GBA > FE3 > Fates > Awakening > 3H > DSFE > Vestaria (who the hell plays VS1 with animations???)

True, Vestaria animations are powerpoint slides lmao.

But that's not really Vestaria's fault.

I would also put Radiant Dawn in "who plays with animations on" on account of how slow they are.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If you're on mobile, tierlist maker is dogshit.

It’s barely any better on the computer, still takes 5 hours for every page to load and freezes every other second.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

It’s barely any better on the computer, still takes 5 hours for every page to load and freezes every other second.

Oh yeah, that's definitely a problem on your end then.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, that's definitely a problem on your end then.

No idea why though. It’s only with tier maker and didn’t use to happen on the same devices.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

D Tactics. Aw yeah 😎

That was easily the second best Fire Emblem. Great game!

Not bad at all!

...wait, that means you still place Three Houses first, you fucking d--

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Gatekeeper.

Oof, poor Kaga...

6 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And no, I don’t remember anyone ever saying Deirdre was related to Loptyr or anything that would lead one to think so.

If you check Deirdre and Arvis's holy blood charts, you can see they have minor Loptyr blood (the purple one in the middle, it's only named for Julius, as it's meant to be a secret what it is initially). Manfroy needed them to fuck so they'd give birth to a child with major Loptyr blood. Then he could hand the Loptyr tome to the kid and turn him into the reincarnation of his dark lord. In other words, Manfroy literally played the same game as the player.

The problem is that Deirdre had a second child with major Heim blood. Not something Manfroy could've easily prevented, especially since at that point Arvis was at the height of his power. By the time Julius grew up and snatched all influence from his father, Deirdre sacrificed herself and spirited Julia away. The only thing Manfroy could do now was look for her - which he obviously did.

Everything makes sense up to this point. The problem is when he goes "yeah I'm gonna weaponize my lord's one weakness, that totally cannot backfire."

7 minutes ago, Spara said:

Gonna briefly join on this rare GBA Hate-Train and say that, while the animations are certainly made with high quality, they get very repetitive, very quick. Not bad, but just uninteresting; you've seen one character crit once, you've seen it every time. 

My thoughts exactly.

7 minutes ago, Spara said:

I would place TRS higher and 3H below DSFE, but otherwise yes to this as well.