Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

ATB is a detriment to this fight.

Real fun when the boss switches to "don't kill me or you'll lose" mode in the middle of my combos so i accidentally end up killing it.

I do remember losing a few times here myself from killing it. How I got through it, I forget. Maybe be extra super cautious about attacking? IDK.

The one time they try something different in this game, it flops.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Who designed this fight?

*Flips to the credits*

Looks like a Shuhei Rokumoto from Tri-Crescendo as the Battle Planning Director. Looks like Tri-Cres handled the battle side of the game again. Clearly they don't sit well with your gaming palette. Monolith Soft looks to have done most of the other jobs, other than sound effects.

Although, bosses dealing overkill damage in a co-developed game where Monolith -without looking at the credits- took over on the gameplay side....

200.gif

I've warned you.

And worse, the character must have spent their turn defending as opposed to attacking, as every hit is guarded or "dodged" (~10% of the normal damage is taken) here.

On the topic of who did what, I did look, and noticed the BK games have different head writers.

In Baten Kaitos: EWatLO, the lead writer was Masato Kato.

• Kato most notably wrote for the 16-bit classic of classic JRPGs- Chrono Trigger. He wrote & directed Chrono Cross as well, which some like, but is not as praised as its predecessor.
  • Yasuyuki Honne was a lead artist for Chrono Cross (the game does look pretty for the PS1 era), and Kato made some minor contributions to Xenogears, so Kato though a freelance writer had some relationship with Monolith.
  • I'm not sure if characters are really Kato’s forte.
    • Chrono Trigger’s cast works because depth and detailed interactions weren’t so possible back then, simple charm had to carry the weight.
    • Chrono Cross had a playable roster of more than 30 characters, which left them mostly operating on a thin amount of charm and quirkiness. The plot is of debatable quality as well, not to say there aren't people who love the game, I mean them no disrespect.

Koh Kojima replaced Kato for Origins. I don’t know anything about his background, other than him being a normal Monolith employee. Yet, given the sheer difference between the two games in the writing, this had to have had a major impact. The localization deserves some credit on our end of the game too, because getting real voice actors and giving the characters flavorful dialogue ought to have made a huge improvement. 

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Krellian's twin sister pulled off (only Xenogears fans are gonna get this joke).

😄

With Valara, the one semi-joke/meme thing with her I sorta have is an old Nickelodeon cartoon and her nickname for Sagi.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I did it.

😤

That is thankfully the only boss fight to be like that in the whole game.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The one time they try something different in this game, it flops.

Worst part is that it doesn't seem to have made a difference narratively.

If i return from the past to find that Valara killed the Afterling anyway...

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, bosses dealing overkill damage in a co-developed game where Monolith -without looking at the credits- took over on the gameplay side....

200.gif

I've warned you.

And worse, the character must have spent their turn defending as opposed to attacking, as every hit is guarded or "dodged" (~10% of the normal damage is taken) here.

I can't tell exactly tell what's going on but i'll take your warning regardless.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Koh Kojima replaced Kato for Origins. I don’t know anything about his background, other than him being a normal Monolith employee. Yet, given the sheer difference between the two games in the writing, this had to have had a major impact

Koh Kojima was also the other main writer for Xenoblade 2 and since we both know how good the characters are in that game, i'd be willing to agree.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That is thankfully the only boss fight to be like that in the whole game.

Good.

I went ahead and turned off max MP, hopefully i don't need that again.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I can't tell exactly tell what's going on but i'll take your warning regardless.

The point is that over half the character's HP went goodbye. If Xiaomu hadn't presumably guarded, she likely would have been KO'ed outright, from just one use of a boss's flashy and not-rare ultimate attack. Not incomparable to BKO, no?

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Koh Kojima was also the other main writer for Xenoblade 2 and since we both know how good the characters are in that game, i'd be willing to agree.

It looks like from a glance Koh Kojima was director & producer on XC2, not writer, but those are roles as major if not greater than writer in terms of importance. More than that, he was a director & designer on XC1 and XCX. BKO looks to be the origins of his rise to quiet prominence within the company.

Thank you for the info.😀

Baten Kaitos Origins major spoilers

Spoiler

Screenshot_2943.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_2944.png?width=769&height=432

Screenshot_2945.png?width=769&height=432

BRUUUUUUUUUH

I knew something was about to go down. But i wasn't expecting this. But...once i realized that last dungeon was Cor Hydae and there were five who received the power...

Very curious to see how this goes forward.

22 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The point is that over half the character's HP went goodbye. If Xiaomu hadn't presumably guarded, she likely would have been KO'ed outright, from just one use of a boss's flashy and not-rare ultimate attack. Not incomparable to BKO, no?

Dear God.

Although that's a more traditional JRPG so maybe it's not as bad.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Thank you for the info.😀

No problem.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

@Saint Rubenio 

Someone made the horny fanart you wanted.

You know, I had a feeling it would be that before it was done loading.

And that's not horny, but it is indeed the fanart I wanted. Both that one and the Manuela one, actually, they're both great. Hanneman only ever seems to get "what would Hanneman look like if he were younger?" artwork, but this may be the best I've seen, and even if it wasn't, I'll take it over the myriads of painfully generic Hilda and Marianne drawings that fill the FE subreddit every single day.

Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt people's talent, I'm not saying that they're badly done or anything, but c'mon. We've got enough Marianne smiling art to solve world hunger if art were edible. Draw something else, goddamnit.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And that's not horny, but it is indeed the fanart I wanted.

Really? Well, I guess I don’t know what you talk about because the only time I end up on Reddit is when looking for the answer to a question on the game. But designed to look attractive, eh.

Both that one and the Manuela one, actually, they're both great.

Oh, I didn’t know there was a Manuela one.

Hanneman only ever seems to get "what would Hanneman look like if he were younger?" artwork, but this may be the best I've seen, and even if it wasn't, I'll take it over the myriads of painfully generic Hilda and Marianne drawings that fill the FE subreddit every single day.

Well, that’s good.

Just now, Sooks said:

Really? Well, I guess I don’t know what you talk about

Stuff like this. Hey, fair is fair, I had to scroll down a bit to find that. Usually they're a lot more common.

And I never meant to imply that this is a terrible blight on society or unholy sacrilege or anything like that. Horny fanart is perfectly fine, people can do whatever they want. It's just that, when that and generic fanarts of Three Houses characters the same five Three Houses characters are the only things that fill the subreddit's main page every single day, well, there's not much reason left to go there.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oh, I didn’t know there was a Manuela one.

Honestly, I straight up prefer it to her ingame design. She still gives off that "failed flirt" vibe without needing an extremely ugly and inconvenient design with nonsensical sleeves.

6 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Where did you find it?

https://github.com/TheRepeat/SRPG-Studio

I only downloaded it for the Powermove script and didn't look at the rest, but I realized yesterday that R-MAvoid was what you'd been looking for. I think.

'Morning, everyone!

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
And I never meant to imply that this is a terrible blight on society or unholy sacrilege or anything like that. Horny fanart is perfectly fine, people can do whatever they want. It's just that, when that and generic fanarts of Three Houses characters the same five Three Houses characters are the only things that fill the subreddit's main page every single day, well, there's not much reason left to go there.

I know! I know! I promise I don’t think you hate women in anything other than completely covering clothing because it’s blasphemy on the good name of the father. 

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Honestly, I straight up prefer it to her ingame design. She still gives off that "failed flirt" vibe without needing an extremely ugly and inconvenient design with nonsensical sleeves.

I don’t know, she looks a bit more hopeful and determined in her youth to me.

I mean I prefer it as well, I just don’t know about the failed flirt part.

But Three Houses taught me you can’t be a female teacher without nonsensical sleeves.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I know! I know! I promise I don’t think you hate women in anything other than completely covering clothing because it’s blasphemy on the good name of the father. 

Why do we always end up having the exact same conversations?

I don’t know, she looks a bit more hopeful and determined in her youth to me.

She's very obviously shitfaced.

I mean I prefer it as well, I just don’t know about the failed flirt part.

But Three Houses taught me you can’t be a female teacher without nonsensical sleeves.

I mean, to be fair they definitely nailed Manuela's design. She looks like a complete wreck, a hodgepodge of ugly make-up, a bad hairdo and uncomfortably revealing clothes, perfectly befitting one so desperate for affection as her. It's just, bit weird to see that teaching at such a formal academy with Hanneman standing next to her. Makes me wonder how exactly she got hired. Byleth's weird too, but Rhea had ulterior motives for that, and Seteth calls her out on it, so it's not as grating.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

She looks good with the longer hair. The glass and sword pose totally looks like something out of one of her opera plays, haha.

Welp, back to school for me. Then, I am going to finish my LP. Also, it's my LP's🎊 birthday! 🎊

4 minutes ago, Benice said:

Welp, back to school for me. Then, I am going to finish my LP. Also, it's my LP's🎊 birthday! 🎊

A year long LP? F.

Good luck with school!

Hmm, I'd say, depending on what they kept for the offline version, I might finally give it a try. Not as big a fan of tower defense as strategy, but well, it's still SRW heh.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not as big a fan of tower defense as strategy, but well, it's still SRW heh.

Isn't tower defense a return to the franchise's black sheep origins? For a mobile game, it doesn't sound like the too outlandish to reference.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Isn't tower defense a return to the franchise's black sheep origins? For a mobile game, it doesn't sound like the too outlandish to reference.

No. SRW began as SRPG, and has always been SRPG. Barring the Endless Frontier spin-offs, and Cross-Omega being tower defense.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I think this is the first time Atelier has celebrated a one million milestone.

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Horny fanart is perfectly fine, people can do whatever they want. It's just that, when that and generic fanarts of Three Houses characters the same five Three Houses characters are the only things that fill the subreddit's main page every single day, well, there's not much reason left to go there.

That tends to be the problem with specific subreddits. Once the hype of new thing has died down, there's not much to discuss. So memes and fanart become the main subject.

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

She also still looks like she's in her late 20s/early 30s, which fits better than just going the easy route and drawing her what she might've looked like as a teen/early 20s.

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good day!

This brings joy.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

If i return from the past to find that Valara killed the Afterling anyway...

Heeeeeeeeeeeey guess what ended up happening......

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Every time I see that Ryza design, I keep finding the thighs too... off. Like, they overinflated them or something.

The art has always tried to go in the sex appeal route.

Which is funny because the actual games are pretty much anything but.