Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

What do you mean with "too long"?

Not enough variety after some time?

It's a RPG, so I'd assume it takes some hours.

Yeah, I guess not enough variety after some time is a good way to describe it. Like the story naturally comes to a conclusion and the gameplay culminates in basically the best it can do at that specific point, but after the climactic battle the game just sort of says “no” and adds like +3 worlds and now you have to do missions to progress from a sort of hub and you can also do tons of side quests for people that need help like the bracer guild quests in Trails in the Sky (FC, at least) or missions in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon franchise and I’m just like “…what?”

Edited by Sooks

10 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

Played through Super Smash Bros Brawl's Subspace Emissary on highest difficulty again.

This was really hard and I had tons of death, but once more it was superfun.

This game never gets old and always will be my favorite Smash game, not only because of its story mode.

Sacrilege. Melee must be your favorite. The important people on Youtube said so.

Metroid is not a series I'd enjoy since I get lost by its map design and also don't like shooting monster games. I tried out Super Metroid on Switch Online and got bored by it after 30 minutes, plus couldn't beat the first boss.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sacrilege. Melee must be your favorite. The important people on Youtube said so.

I played Melee for a little bit. I had massive issues to play it with a second hand controller, so I quitted it fast, but it's not the game's fault for sure. Still it also has a good story mode and the probably most interesting gameplay (even if too fastpaced for me). For real Smash veterans it was the best game of this series for sure, still my #2 even with mentioned issues.

@Sooks

I see.

I still think playing it with other people (using their miis) can give some motivation. The more friends you have, the more variety in terms of miis you have. That's how I will step into this game.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Melee must be their favorite? I thought fe12 was your favorite fe.

What a funny, original joke of mine.

3 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

@Sooks

I see.

I still think playing it with other people (using their miis) can give some motivation. The more friends you have, the more variety in terms of miis you have. That's how I will step into this game.

Yeah, it is, and I think it stays that way for quite a bit, but not the whole game.

Done with Shantae and the Seven Sirens. Took me 10 hrs for a run, not 100%, as I somehow missed 11 Nuggets and 2 Heart Squids + one from the dancing minigame. For the best win screens, the time requirements are less than 6 hours for 100%, and less than 4 for any %. Not like I care about things I could look up online later.

Again, the game was fun, familiar, quirky, but much too easy if you take advantage of everything the game gives you. Half-Genie Hero the prior game did have things to make it easy, but I felt the Seven Sirens stripped bosses of some of their challenge and made the platforming segments a breeze, Half-Genie had some snappy sections. The final dungeon was a bad and boring combination of too long and not enough challenge. Although I prefer games to be too easy, given a choice between that and too hard.

I'd feel inclined to give SatSS a 7/10 or 7.5. Pirate's Curse still can't be beat. 

Tomorrow, I think I'll move on to Bug Fables. Although as I expect to be longer than Shantae and won't be concerned about forgetting places I should return to with new abilities later in Metroidvania, I'll juggle in XPassword at some point, just to change it up.

XBybrwR.png

mario got kissed to death by bullet bills it seems

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I'll move on to Bug Fables.

oho i am looking forward to your thoughts on that

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Everyone in the thread waiting for Ruben to get someone killed so they may send anime be like

Op8hhlgq o

Meanwhile Ruben be like

Khmaeq4k o

should've threatend you with anime while we were doing our run xD

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Tomorrow, I think I'll move on to Bug Fables.

I remember you once said that you don't know if Bug Fables can capture the charm of the first two Paper Mario simply because it plays the same. I wonder what you'll feel like after playing it.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'll juggle in XPassword at some point, just to change it up.

Nice nice, hope you enjoy this one too.

32 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

oho i am looking forward to your thoughts on that

To get the opinion of a veteran of old Paper Mario I take it?

It has been over a decade since I last touched TTYD, although I did play some PM64 on my Wii U. So I have some memory of the gameplay of good old days of childhood long gone. Which reminds me (spoilered just for size):

Spoiler

When I heard that again as an adult, as Mario was being rejuvenated by the Star Spirits after getting sent flying out of Peach's Castle in the opening of the game, I was brought to verge of tears of nostalgia. I don't think I've ever actually cried when it comes to games, so that is a magnificent achievement. Music that stirs memories seem like a good trigger for that in me.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I remember you once said that you don't know if Bug Fables can capture the charm of the first two Paper Mario simply because it plays the same. I wonder what you'll feel like after playing it.

So do I.

Since I have no friends, the only way I can confirm if it has that old charm, is buy the game and play it myself. Since the charm is derived in part from childhood, which is a time that can never be replicated later in life, I won't be demanding every last drop of charm be imitated. That would be impossible, I was in like the second grade when I was playing the first Paper Mario, I still remember a silly "invent a cereal" assignment and picked the Star Spirits for it.😆

When I did play FFIX recently, I think I was able to reasonably say that had I played the game back when I had first gotten by PS3 after high school or in a year or two thereafter, or even earlier in my youth somehow, I likely would've loved it. So I'll see if I can judge Bug Fables with a similar, but modified mindset, given Bug Fables isn't literally PM and isn't an old game I missed out on.

-Although I do want to enjoy the game for what it is as well! I hurt only my own enjoyment if I stare at it solely to search for other things. And I mean no resentment at all towards modern Paper Mario either.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To get the opinion of a veteran of old Paper Mario I take it?

yup!

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Music that stirs memories seem like a good trigger for that in me

understandable. Same here.

58 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

should've threatend you with anime while we were doing our run xD

Nobody would've died.

47 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ruben when playing Mario Party: 

Always choose green.

Always.

Green is a creative color.

I had a brilliant plan in order to avoid all casualties.

Then Roberto decided he really wanted to get a crit.

Then he dodged a 67, so it all went according to plan.

Gracias, Roberto.

Man, I'm on a roll today. Everything's just going great. Nothing can stop me! Clearly fate wants no lewds.