• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Forgot to reply here! Im doing well, like usual! And how about you?

I'm ok, but my sports team keeps losing games that they should win, so that's a bit of a bummer.

Non-spoiler 13 Sentinels thoughts after the first hour.

• The artstyle is pretty neat. A little bit washed out but i do like the watercolor aesthetic.
  • Definitely intrigued by the way the story is being told.
  • The actual gameplay is pretty neat. When i heard it described as "tower defense", i expected something along the lines of Bloons Tower Defense but this game does give you more option and the ability to move around makes it feel more like an SRPG. Although the strategy here won't be involving the maps themselves it seems. Who knows, this is still the prolouge. I'm also gonna raise the difficulty after this too, i hear that the game is braindead easy on everything except the highest difficulty. 
  • I will say, not a fan of the Sentinel designs themselves. I generally don't like bulky mechs that much. It's why, for example, i prefer the Showa and MonsterVerse incarnations of MechaGodzilla over the Heisei and Millennium incarnations. Or how the only type of Skell i don't like in Xenoblade X are the heavy ones.
  • I played with JP voices and i'll play with English voices next sessions but given what the game is about, i'll probably make a rare exception and stick to JP here.
1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And again, tell me how much filler/icebreaker chatter is food related. Vanillaware has had a slight liking for food in their past games.

Well one of the characters does really like yakisoba. So yeah, the trademark Vanillaware food humor is here.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, only picture?

13 Sentinels fans have a very spoken rule about not spoiling anything about the plot.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Im unsure of the movement right now. It didnt look "crisp" to me.

I'm very curious as to why you feel this way given that Samus is clearly at her fastest in this game. And now between the teleport dash, the return of the Speed Booster, sliding -> Morph Ball (which can be done with a press of a button), i feel like MercurySteam would have to fuck up abysmally to make this game feel anything but fast and crisp.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm very curious as to why you feel this way given that Samus is clearly at her fastest in this game. And now between the teleport dash, the return of the Speed Booster, sliding -> Morph Ball (which can be done with a press of a button), i feel like MercurySteam would have to fuck up abysmally to make this game feel anything but fast and crisp.

When i watch Samus run, comparing to the GBA games, it just looks slow. Speed Booster didn't look like it flew you through areas, although that coulda just been in that particular video.

Jumping looked a little slower as well.

Edit: Wall jumping: when i compare that to ZM WJ's, its for sure alot slower.

Edited by lightcosmo

So I did the first half of chapter Sakura perfectly, then Charlotte refused to get a 64% crit thrice, and now I've regressed to baby brain and am incapable of getting back to that point. This is so frustrating.

12 hours ago, Sooks said:

how do I get to the menu you showed me where I can open the mod folder after right clicking?

directly when you open Citra?

8 hours ago, Ghost_06_ said:

https://i.redd.it/rf9b0aqc5yj71.png

editors suck

water is wet

28 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So I did the first half of chapter Sakura perfectly, then Charlotte refused to get a 64% crit thrice, and now I've regressed to baby brain and am incapable of getting back to that point. This is so frustrating.

classic FE

58 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

When i watch Samus run, comparing to the GBA games, it just looks slow. Speed Booster didn't look like it flew you through areas, although that coulda just been in that particular video.

Jumping looked a little slower as well.

I think you might be confusing flair for speed. Which admittedly, the game does lack the flair of some abilities. Screw Attack and Speed Booster do look better in Super and the GBA games (i miss the afterimage visual effect of the Speed Booster)

But with everything that's been shown off, i have a hard time believing that Samus isn't fast. Dash attacks, counters that carry your momentum, sliding into Morph Ball, an actual double jump (better at trajectory than the High-Jump Boots), that new teleport dash and wall-jumping with the Speed Booster, i honestly have a really hard time seeing where you're coming from tbh. All of these are movement options that Samus didn't have before or if she did, they've been upgraded. 

And since Nintendo confirmed a while ago that sequence breaking is available for those who want to do it, i have a feeling Dread will have an extremely active speedrunning scene, even among Metroid games.

Fiery desert temple done. The flame skeleton monstrosities hit hard (and I accepted I sucked and dropped damage taken to 20% on the second attempt of the giant moth boss), and the puzzles were tricker than the last. Still have the puzzles mostly under control however, the question is whether the mental ordeals will never stop increasing in challenge, or if the difficulty will reach a rough plateau.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

I will say, not a fan of the Sentinel designs themselves. I generally don't like bulky mechs that much. It's why, for example, i prefer the Showa and MonsterVerse incarnations of MechaGodzilla over the Heisei and Millennium incarnations. Or how the only type of Skell i don't like in Xenoblade X are the heavy ones.

On the Skells, besides the Ares, it's the Verus that's my favorite design. Well, judging hastily in the moment from the official artwork. Ingame isn't the same however, as the 3D models have a wholly different feel from the artwork, plus the colors and weapons on the Skell can be whatever I want them to be. Thoughts on the Skells:

• I think the problem with the heavy frame Skells- the Mastema and Amdusias- is the size of the front of their legs, the thighs, knees and shins are fat and blocky.
  • Not to say skinnier is better, I don't like the light frame Formula design very much at all, the armor looks as fragile as wet tissue paper.
  • The Urban is okay however, its looks like you could readily downsize it into armor for a sci-fi infantryman.
  • The medium Lailah is a thicker Formula, thick enough that it doesn't look like laser cannon fodder.
  • And the medium Inferno seems to be a petite heavy, which is alright.

On the Gears, the PS1-era 3D graphics don't do them a whole lot of justice, they're too simple and too blocky. They need to be sent back to the drawing board and polish these rough diamonds. It is a tad hard to judge them, though I think I can make a few personal judgements.:

• Fenrir is too slim and Renmazuo is eh, I'd prefer the outright fat Seibzehn and somewhat plump Brigandier. 
  • Yet, Stier has a weird head and Crescens is sorta good though (but that's more the nanomachines than the visual design).
  • Weltall is fine. Vierge makes little impression on me besides "feminine".
  • The Xenogears is on the bulkier side and I like it, but it being the titular machine meant it had to look good.

Thinking on the Banpresto Originals I've seen, trying not to let the characters who use them bias me... I'd say I lean to some degree towards bulkier. Not "almost literal brick" bulky, heavier isn't always better, but a few extra pounds won't hurt.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Still have the puzzles mostly under control however, the question is whether the mental ordeals will never stop increasing in challenge, or if the difficulty will reach a rough plateau.

In my experience, the third and fourth temples are a bit easier (mainly cause of shorter length) but the mechanics introduced there are honestly really neat so I don't mind. Fifth temple is a bit harder and then after that is the final dungeon of the main story which you can straight-up skip most of it thanks to an exploit with that saw attack on the neutral skill tree. But should you choose to do it legit, it's a fair challenge as far as the puzzles go.

The seventh dungeon in the epilogue I'd say is the hardest. It's by far the longest dungeon in the entire game and it basically is the final test of everything you've learned put into a brand new mechanic that is really fun to play around with. It's actually my favorite because of it haha.

24 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ingame isn't the same however, as the 3D models have a wholly different feel from the artwork, plus the colors and weapons on the Skell can be whatever I want them to be.

True but even then, the heavy Skells just don't look that good.

Admittedly tho, depending on how you outfit a Skell, it can end up looking really stupid regardless of weight class.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Xenogears is on the bulkier side and I like it, but it being the titular machine meant it had to look good.

Yeah, the Xenogears is one of the few exceptions to the rule for me.

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

JgINnKe.png

Best attempt yet, hopefully i don't fuck up somewhere

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

sTAQ57v.png

200.gif

There's a tragedy developing here somewhere.

Just now, Armagon said:

*Shrimpy misses the 99% hit-rate on the boss and thus gets swarmed on enemy phase*

Corrin just git hit by 3 20% lol

He is only alive because i made sure to heal him in between and to give him guard stance

FFS tho

At Camilla's doorsteps now and will have to finish next turn or lose

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

But guard stance bad

Never said that 😛

I think attack stance is better, and i use it much more often, but when facing enemy attack stance that could kill you guard stance is needed

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

p2YBgr7.png

Ababababababa

Where did all those fliers come from!? Is this lunatic Hinoka? Oh God...

Well, on the bright side, I won't ever see it, because Takumi's Fun Castle will probably make me lower the difficulty!

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Where did all those fliers come from!? Is this lunatic Hinoka? Oh God...

Thing is, these reinforcements are suppossed to come much later, but since i triggered Severa early due to her 12 Mov, all the reinforcements that should come a bit later are coming now along other reinforcements.

It's why i have been retrying so much trying to find the optimal way not to get swarmed. In 'Vanilla' Conquest you got 3 Dragon veins outside Setsuna's range you can use before she triggers reinforcements, here i only have one such DV

Edited by Shrimperor