• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Okay, finally done with Little Trouble in Big Town. I'm just about done with visiting every place on the map. Well, that matters to visit. I'll head north now towards Oasis... but that will be for another day.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Well, that’s all the prologue chapters of Shadow Dragon. RIP Jegan.

That Norne chick is… an archer?? You’re pitied by the game for having lost two units in the prologue chapter (that was intended to be played on normal mode)… by getting a unit in a mediocre at best class when at least one of the units you lost had to have lost has to have been a paladin of a cavalier? Why?

Anyway, that was fun. It was nice to play some good old FE since I haven’t in a while. That was harder than I expected. It’s likely a quirk of those chapters not being designed to be played on this difficulty, but everything did just a bit too much damage for me to be able to turn my brain off (this is a very good thing). I actually had to stop and choke a point… in a tutorial chapter of an fe game! (Although that was mostly because of the stupid mage and everyone except Jegan who was totally alive at that point having literally 0 res, if it wasn’t for that I probably could have got by.) That bodes well for the rest of the game, even if there might be shenanigans going on here due to the difficulty.

I have Frey five levels and honey were mostly pretty underwhelming. I know I said I would use him but if he doesn’t pick up the slack…

Does this game have fe6 growths or Three Houses growths, anyway?

38 minutes ago, Benice said:

It does make it pretty good for ironmanning.

Well, unless you're halfway competent, but I'm not, so it's a perfect game to ironman for me!

But the game would be better for ironmanning if you were gauaranteed to be able get all the bonus units and chapters.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

But the game would be better for ironmanning if you were gauaranteed to be able get all the bonus units and chapters.

Yeah, but the gaidens give the game a kinda wacky charm, y'know? Plus, it means you only get the help when you need it.

I dunno. It's a completely pointless mechanic, but I like it anyways.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Shot growths: but every three if a character doesnt good a good level, they get a pity good one automatically.

3 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Shot growths: but every three if a character doesnt good a good level, they get a pity good one automatically.

That’s pretty cool, actually.

How does the game define a good and bad level though?

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Ah, I missed this one, sorry!

Growths are, overall, pretty meh in FE11, but are closer to FE8 growths than FE6 ones. That said, stats are a little odd in this game because every time a unit doesn't get a  stat from a level, 10% of that stat's growth is added for the next level, until the stat is procced. For example, if someone missed a speed growth of 50% in one level, it would be a 55% chance for the next one, then 60% for the next, and so on. (I can't remember precisely how it works, but I know it does get lowered closer to normal after the stat is procced, but I don't know by how much.)

27 minutes ago, Benice said:

Growths are, overall, pretty meh in FE11, but are closer to FE8 growths than FE6 ones. That said, stats are a little odd in this game because every time a unit doesn't get a  stat from a level, 10% of that stat's growth is added for the next level, until the stat is procced. For example, if someone missed a speed growth of 50% in one level, it would be a 55% chance for the next one, then 60% for the next, and so on. (I can't remember precisely how it works, but I know it does get lowered closer to normal after the stat is procced, but I don't know by how much.)

Yep, that is very cool. I approve.

58 minutes ago, Sooks said:

That’s pretty cool, actually.

I think its like 1-2 stat gains is "bad" and anything above is good. Could be a bit off, its been a while for me haha.

Oh hey, the Lonely Mirror hack I played a while back has been updated. Most notably, a more accessible version called friendly mode has been added. I approve. While I enjoyed it quite a bit, I must admit I found the difficulty to be too much at times. Might be time for a replay once I finish Echoes.

...Plus, the hacker gave the best character in the game her own gaiden chapter. I've got to see that.

EDIT: Okay, so I've just discovered that my GBA emulator has lost the ability to manipulate save files of FE games. It recognizes them, but I cannot save or erase saved data. Completely out of the blue.

This has to be the most baffling glitch I've ever encountered.

12 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Gaidens are hardly worth playing anyway, tbh

Hey, you get Etzel in one of them.

11 hours ago, Sooks said:

Huh, interesting. Well, let’s see…

According to the internet, Frey is the canon sacrifice, stated in fe12 somewhere and obvious by the fact that he simply doesn’t exist if you don’t pick the prologue.

Gameplay wise, Gordin is probably the best pick, why would I want the crappy early game archer? You would be a heartless monster for picking the literal child who doesn’t want to be here, however, over all the knights who kinda expect to die for the prince.

Buuutt Jagen is here, and I like to use Jagens as minimally as possible. I could stick his items on someone else and say bye, and that would certainly present a fun challenge, I think. It’s probably the most “ethical” decision here since he definitely looks like he has the least life left in him, and according to the internet again, some scenes have slightly different dialogue if you do this. It’s also pretty in character for Jagen. But some FEs make you use the Jagen more than others, and I don’t know how much hard 2 relies on you having him and I’m not trying to softlock myself. We’ll see, but I‘m keeping a save state.

Jagen is... eh. The pros will tell you he's amazing the entire game, but his stats are barely any better than the basic cavaliers and his growths don't exist. Really, the best thing about him is that he can reclass to dracoknight and fly around with a silver lance when nobody else can. Otherwise, he's useful for a few chapters, and then unless you hand him a forged ridersbane he fades into obscurity fast. I wouldn't pick him, personally (usually I just choose whichever of Cain, Abel and Frey I won't use long-term), but he's not as terrible a choice as he could be.

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

He's very forgettable because he's an Archanean cavalier, of which all of them just blend in together and I forget who they are.

Some of Ruben's favorite characters are Archanean

Frey included

dd0.jpg

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Speaking of cavaliers, they seem to be kinda busted in this game.

Like in the entire series, you mean?

That Norne chick is… an archer?? You’re pitied by the game for having lost two units in the prologue chapter (that was intended to be played on normal mode)… by getting a unit in a mediocre at best class when at least one of the units you lost had to have lost has to have been a paladin of a cavalier? Why?

In the full content patch there's like, zero objective reason not to sacrifice Gordin, since you get Gordin 2 anyway lol.

Honestly, I just don't get why the prologue has to be stuck in normal mode. The sacrifice is a super cool moment, but if you're even slightly experienced with the series, chances are you'll miss it. Thank God for the patch... I'm quite fond of SD, but I'll readily admit I've never played it to completion without the patch. It's just too nice to have.

I have Frey five levels and honey were mostly pretty underwhelming. I know I said I would use him but if he doesn’t pick up the slack…

Generally low.

9 hours ago, Benice said:

I actually had no idea this was a thing. Huh. Does it happen in 12 as well?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I actually had no idea this was a thing. Huh. Does it happen in 12 as well?

I think the levelup generator is the same, although slightly less generous, if anything since the growth rates are higher in 12.

This just gets better and better. A few games have had their saves completely wiped out, every FE and FE hack I have still has the saves but I am unable to manipulate them, and other games like Mother 3 and Mario vs Donkey Kong are working normally.

I haven't used this emulator in a while. What the absolute fuck has happened.

...Yeah, you know what, I think it might be time to upgrade to mGBA.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I wouldn't pick him, personally (usually I just choose whichever of Cain, Abel and Frey I won't use long-term), but he's not as terrible a choice as he could be.

Down with the Jagens! Down with the Jagens!

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

In the full content patch there's like, zero objective reason not to sacrifice Gordin, since you get Gordin 2 anyway lol.

If all you care about is gameplay, sure. But Gordin is this random kid you just found, how could you?

You know, I genuinely do not understand how some people think Gravity Rush 2 is worse than 1. GR1 was a game where the devs came up with a cool concept and felt that it could be carried on that alone. The end result is a game that's incredibly barebones. GR2 actually has substance and it brings the game to it's full potential. GR2 is an actual game that is better than the first in literally every regard and it's not even close.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Some of Ruben's favorite characters are Archanean

Frey included

dd0.jpg

Me looking at Archanea characters

6lwrp2xhplg41.jpg

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

But Gordin is this random kid you just found, how could you?

fjWMywi.jpg

Dude's got a serious downgrade since MegaNep VII.
Didn't even require Next Forms to take down.
Still... his boss fight was nothing short of amazing. Even better than in MegaNep VII, I would argue.

In this game, you deal more damage if you attack enemies from behind.
Affimojas' thing is that his giant metal cape makes him completely immune to back attacks, so you are forced to expose yourself to his own, very powerful sword swings if you want to damage him, meaning you need to be very proactive about guarding and dodging at the right time.

Also, this game is teasing me.
Relentlessly.
1gmqnrk.jpg
wzoLP35.jpg

WHY ARE YOU NOT PLAYABLE?!?
*cough*
Sorry. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, this game is teasing me.
Relentlessly.
1gmqnrk.jpg
wzoLP35.jpg

WHY ARE YOU NOT PLAYABLE?!?

This is the first time the Candidates have been acknowledged in a spin-off since Cyberdimension. At least it's better than not showing up at all but man, it does suck how much the sisters have been getting shafted lately. They ain't gonna show up in that upcoming Vtuber spin-off either.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

This is the first time the Candidates have been acknowledged in a spin-off since Cyberdimension. At least it's better than not showing up at all but man, it does suck how much the sisters have been getting shafted lately. They ain't gonna show up in that upcoming Vtuber spin-off either.

Yeah, it's really sad.
Nepgear and Uni in particular, because those two really stand out in terms of character development across the series, and especially in the anime adaptation.

Helps that these two in particular very quickly became two of my absolute favorites in the series next to Neptune herself, but this only serves to make me even more sad that they're getting shafted like this.

Well, just got mGBA. Gonna miss that filter, it was perfect to me and this emulator only has shitty filters. So I guess it's pixel party from now on. I really wish I knew why VBA broke completely out of nowhere while I wasn't using it, but I guess it will forever remain a mystery.

Just now, Sooks said:

That's a dangerous game you're playing, man. The pros will come out of the woodwork to attack you.

Just now, Sooks said:

If all you care about is gameplay, sure. But Gordin is this random kid you just found, how could you?

Yeah, exactly. Why would Marth sacrifice one of his trusty, loyal knights over some kid he doesn't even know that can't even fight?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, just got mGBA. Gonna miss that filter, it was perfect to me and this emulator only has shitty filters. So I guess it's pixel party from now on. I really wish I knew why VBA broke completely out of nowhere while I wasn't using it, but I guess it will forever remain a mystery.

In my experience, mGBA works okay. Speed up is a little more wonky, I found, but other than that, it's a fine emulator that'll get you most GBA games just fine.
VBA doesn't even exist for my operating system, so I was forced to make the switch a while back. Seems I dodged a bullet on that one. xD

31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a dangerous game you're playing, man. The pros will come out of the woodwork to attack you.

We'll sic dinosaur Jagen on them.
2ZXai98.jpg
9lNECrB.jpg

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

#nofilter

And farewell to your saves I suppose.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah if he was playing H5 that would get him first.

17 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In my experience, mGBA works okay. Speed up is a little more wonky, I found, but other than that, it's a fine emulator that'll get you most GBA games just fine.

Most people say it's better.

Speed up and rewind both work differently, certainly. Speed up makes the audio higher pitched, and rewind is smoother. When used in conjuction, they make the emulator play the Crazybus title theme. Joy.

It does have one major advantage, however - when in the background, VBA still registered inputs. So I couldn't type anything on another program because the emulator started going apeshit. Not the case here, it doesn't freeze, but it also doesn't register inputs. Neato.

VBA doesn't even exist for my operating system, so I was forced to make the switch a while back. Seems I dodged a bullet on that one. xD

I'm just so confused. I've been using this emulator for years. The same set of files, in fact! I haven't updated it, I haven't changed anything, I've done absolutely nothing but move it from one computer to another, and it has worked just as well for years. And yet today I find that it broke in the strangest, most arbitrary ways. For some undiscernible reason. While I wasn't touching it.

...I'm not even going to play GBA right now lol, I was just checking that Lonely Mirror's new version worked and in doing so I discovered the whole mess. Sheesh...

17 minutes ago, Dayni said:

#nofilter

I guess it'll have to be that way.

And farewell to your saves I suppose.

Funnily enough, that's not the case. Quite the opposite, in fact, all the games I checked that lost their saves in VBA have been restored in mGBA. Or, well, more to the point, the emulator properly loads them.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Shrimp γ said:

Oh hey, it's the girl who had the most chemistry with Rex, but it didn't pan out, because red strings be stranglin'.

You know... now that I think about it, that aspect of the game was eerily similar to Tales of Hearts R. That game really tried hard to force Kor and Kohaku together, but Kor had much better chemistry with fellow team member Beryl (who was also in love with the guy, similar to Nia with Rex), and it just ended up making a mess that was a stain on the story as a whole.

It does have one major advantage, however - when in the background, VBA still registered inputs. So I couldn't type anything on another program because the emulator started going apeshit. Not the case here, it doesn't freeze, but it also doesn't register inputs. Neato.

Yeah, that's really good!

I'm just so confused. I've been using this emulator for years. The same set of files, in fact! I haven't updated it, I haven't changed anything, I've done absolutely nothing but move it from one computer to another, and it has worked just as well for years. And yet today I find that it broke in the strangest, most arbitrary ways. For some undiscernible reason. While I wasn't touching it.

That's IT for you!
I had programs suddenly not working for no reason whatsoever before, too. Technology is wonky like that sometimes. XD

28 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

but this only serves to make me even more sad that they're getting shafted like this.

I don't even get why it's happening either. They used to be everywhere.

4 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That's IT for you!
I had programs suddenly not working for no reason whatsoever before, too. Technology is wonky like that sometimes. XD

You can say that again. Oh, well. Guess I'll keep the emulator around. It hardly weighs anything and it might sort itself out...? I can't see why it would but... then again, I can't see why it broke in the first place, so...

Edited by Saint Rubenio