• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

48 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I  prefer Mia over Zihark  mainly because vantage. That means i can get  Vantage + Wrath on 2 Grills, Mia and NephNeph

Vantage/Wrath doesn't help much when you hit like a wet noodle, which Mia tends to do.

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Recommended strat for 3-13...

Defend the line, or try to send Tauroneo to Ike and end it sooner?

GUARD! As you've no doubt seen. Ike can dent generals, and Tauroneo is not that durable. If Tauroneo goes splat, it's... well watch this and you'll see:

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Recommended strat for 3-13...

Defend the line, or try to send Tauroneo to Ike and end it sooner?

lmao ending Ike with the Scrub brigade

DEFEND

Unless DB is omega blessed, you can't do it!

Edited by Shrimperor

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Gotcha. Defend it is.

Also, stay far away from the south end of the map in the last turns. And look our for reinforcements on the left end in the later turns. I wouldn't count on the braindead AI doing much of anything against them.

Edited by Shadow Mir

7 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tauroneo to Ike and end it sooner?

Personally, I'd vote to Tauroneo it.

Wait, no, you don't have the sleep staff. Never mind. Guard.

Also, save at least on use of Purge for Miccy-She can use Sacrifice to get into wrath range and blast everybody with infinite use Purge later on.

2 minutes ago, Benice said:

Personally, I'd vote to Tauroneo it.

Wait, no, you don't have the sleep staff. Never mind. Guard.

Also, save at least on use of Purge for Miccy-She can use Sacrifice to get into wrath range and blast everybody with infinite use Purge later on.

Even with it, defeating Ike is still a tall order thanks to the fact that most everyone has to go through his iron defense. Also, honestly, I'd say long range magic would have outlived its usefulness by that point you're talking about.

Finished Trials of Mana, in 23 hours including the ending and credits. The game is very straightforward, barely any side content.

Final boss was attackattackattack with barely any time for me to react and the ally AI was too poor to shatter one of the three crystals I needed to stop the boss's MASSIVE damage unavoidable explosion spell. I was afraid of running out of Cups of Wishes, but its HP dropped quickly when I could pound at it and it was only a single phase long. The prior bosses weren't so bad though, one was particularly quick to die and its hailstorm of spells weren't a problem. The game is kind enough to show you in red the area an enemy's attack will cover and when the enemy will finish charging and unleash the attack, most of the time that suffices.

I've said critical stuff on the plot and characters before that I won't repeat. A promising personal start that fizzles into a generic story, when the personal returns, it isn't by any means amazing. Lack of intra-party interactions.

On the gameplay, it is decidedly on the simpler side of an Action RPG, not a whole lot of nuances to it, perhaps this, like other faults of the game, is owed to age. The class system runs into an obtusity, though you could get through the game even with that being the case, I just wanted greater clarity for the sake of optimization. In combat, I felt the camera was another fault, I did have the freedom to adjust it to any angle I wanted at any time, but I needed a second right thumb, adjusting the camera to get a better sense of the chaos meant not pressing attack/charge attack/jump/roll. Even so, I had fun with the fighting, a little light-minded fast combat can be fun in moderate doses. I played on Normal the entire time and got a Game Over only once because of Petrification I had not expected.

Music is good though not great and none of it is bad. Graphics are clean and adequately high and bright fantasy.

Do I intend to play through this game again? Yes, because the other three characters I want to play as, and maybe I want to toy with the postgame on finished file. But I'm not going to go for any of it now, my memories need to fade a bit before I go through it all again. If I find something dense to play in a few months, this can serve as a side dish to lighten the meal.

I'm not one to rate things usually, but I'd say that if this game's faults are big for you, I'd say a 6/10 is fair. If the faults are less of a problem, an 8/10 sounds appropriate. Therefore, a 7/10 is a fair average for this. A 7/10 on my scale of game ratings means the following:

• 10/10- A perfected masterpiece. You must play it regardless of your interests.
  • 9/10- Supremely great, alas short of perfect, unless you really don't like the genre, play it.
  • 8/10- Above-average good. If you're into the genre, you must consider it.
  • 7/10- Maybe it's average, but it's a good average. Consider it if you're into the genre.
  • 6/10- A little below average, the flaws are unfortunately too big despite its potential. If you're into the genre, maybe consider it if its select strengths are sufficiently appealing.
  • 5/10 or below- Just don't bother with these, there are too many video games out there to mess with these.
Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

Even with it, defeating Ike is still a tall order thanks to the fact that most everyone has to go through his iron defense.

True enough, although with a 3rd tier unit, you'll have a proc skill that can almost certainly OHKO Ike, and with sleep, about 4 chances to do so for free. (Such as Aran's Pierce-He was really helpful here for me.)

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also, honestly, I'd say long range magic would have outlived its usefulness by that point you're talking about.

Yeah, but cheese can be fun.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

how the hell

4 T3 units with the scrub brigade

How

I believe they meant "Sleep lasts for 4 turns, so you have 4 turns for the one 3rd tier unit to proc their Mastery".

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I believe they meant "Sleep lasts for 4 turns, so you have 4 turns for them to proc their Mastery".

And no Dawn brigade unit will last there for 4 turns while op Merc units come every turn unless DB unit is super blessed and Merc units are super screwed

how the hell

4 T3 units with the scrub brigade

How

Sleep lasts for four turns, does it not? Unless there's a restore bishop that I forgot about. Physic can keep the unit topped up if they need it.

rng = pitfall

True, but there's enough chances to hit that it's not too absurd.

The Merc comes with the items you had on them iirc, so if you had a restore on someone there...

Yep, so Ike could indeed be woken up-You have until turn 11 to get him, though, as the mercs all show up on turn 11, which is a good enough window. Probably.

(at least according to the .org wiki)

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

True enough, although with a 3rd tier unit, you'll have a proc skill that can almost certainly OHKO Ike, and with sleep, about 4 chances to do so for free. (Such as Aran's Pierce-He was really helpful here for me.)

The gamble doesn't seem worth it when in general, those skills have about a 1-in-10 chance of activation, which is not nearly enough to rely on. Also, I'd honestly say Fire Emblem games after Binding Blade tend to make status effects useless. Radiant Dawn is no exception.

9 minutes ago, Benice said:

Yeah, but cheese can be fun.

Not when it doesn't work on the stuff that'd likely warrant cheesing, which is the case here.