• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Benice said:

Thank you!

Aye... I hope it's not as stressful as applying for it is. There's so much to be worryin' about. Not knowing for sure what degree to get or program to do, not knowing whether or not I can follow my passion, getting a huge debt...

Well, for now all I can control is getting in, so I'd best do a good job with that!

Student Debt? What's that?

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

ULJS00143-00012.jpg

So this is when Gundam stopped being "Real" for a subseries. When it went Lavos instead (*Checks* okay, this crab-centipede is a few years older, and this isn't exactly a unique idea), and possibly provided the inspiration for the Machine Cells.

Yep, the one Super Robot Gundam, hahaha. Good for them, since it allowed them to show up in SRW NEO, which excluded Real Robots. Would've been the only non-OG SRW without Gundam if not for G Gundam. And yeah, there's certainly a connection there between Ultimate/Devil Cells and Machine Cells. Specially the part about them going haywire.

One day a SRW with G Gundam will include Tequila Gundam... and when that happens, it will be GLORIOUS. In the meantime, I can always fanfic it in, hahaha. Bias? What bias? XD lol

I played the following map, it was actually difficult for a base defend with the enemies properly coming in from opposite directions. There were chances when the enemies could have moved onto the base and GO'ed me, yet they chose not to and instead attacked me.

Ah, Torrington. So close to Sydney Gulf...

Best Colony Drop GIFs | Gfycat

5 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Makes perfect sense but still has the same energy of playing Majora's Mask and having none of the items from Ocarina of Time.

It's a video game staple. Like Samus losing all her upgrades before each game. Not every game lets you begin already overpowered... or if they do, it's not for long.

IS, add guns to Fire Emblem you cowards.

Just make them reskins of longbows or something.

Eh, perhaps hand cannons first, or instead.

3 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

God dammit, even outside of Gaiden Minerva gets damseled.

Outside? Minerva was not in Gaiden.

Also... it's just the one time. Why can't she be a Badass in Distress instead? Defaulting to saying she got damsel'ed speaks more on you than the game.

Though it's true this is a Kaga game, and if he ever began the downward slope, it was with Mystery.

Hello Anna, where the hell were you in SoV?

Still in Archanea? Remember, this was before it was decided she'd cameo in every game... and before Awakening decided to make them all multiverse sisters.

Surprising then they decided to not add her to SoV... but well, perhaps they wanted to respect that.

Oh goodie I get to defy gender roles twice!

If you don't mind being pointed out once more time... nope. Only females can use it in this game. Another weapon or two also share this distinction, by the way.

Oh, they were talking about that thief in particular, whom I've ignored until it was already too late.

Someone please give me a dunce hat.

Tsk, truly a shame. The 12 MT was already pointed out, but it also effective damage against thieves, pirates, brigands, etc.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, this is Kaga we're talking about. I firmly believe that in Berwick Saga there was some brave editor at Tirnagog keeping him on an extremely tight leash, because there's only like four damsels as opposed to 90% of the game's female cast as in fucking Vestaria, the passion projects he made in his retirement with absolutely nothing to hold him back.

Even he started somewhere... it's just this somewhere was here.

18 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Ah shame. If it's in New Mystery I'll have to get it then.

It's there. But without the effective damage effect.

I'm conflicted.

3 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

When it all ended, I met a familiar person on the fields at night.

She kicked me, of course.

2 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Greetings.

I return to bring your an incredibly cursed romhack.

I hope you enjoy.

Will I return again? Who can say?

>Sigurd and Ethlyn can't be paired together

Not blessed cursed enough

2 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

I'm fully aware.

I've already experienced the cursedness myself:

nomalfe4_2.png.f58907baa4f13019bae0d085e079eeba.pngnomalfe4.png.9c9f42565d3c9b95e645c1de0a1c6953.png

So characters can use any Holy weapon, no matter what class, as long as they have Major blood?

Because if that's not the case, I don't see any advantage in pairing Quan with other characters, as only Fee (and Altena and Leif, but its redundant then) uses lances in the 2nd Gen.

6 minutes ago, Green06 said:

So characters can use any Holy weapon, no matter what class, as long as they have Major blood?

No

Mage knights have a sword rank, and knight lord has a lance rank.

Seliph is the only unit who can inherit the Gae Bolg and use it. Well, besides Altena, anyway.

12 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

No

Mage knights have a sword rank, and knight lord has a lance rank.

Seliph is the only unit who can inherit the Gae Bolg and use it. Well, besides Altena, anyway.

So the biggest draw of the hack is Sigurd being cuckolded by his best friend, got it.

d56HKBt.png

Oh yeah I forgot you existed.

Expect to hear that a lot for all the returning characters.

r1jEFYD.png

Oh god why is he back.

vqO9hQ5.pngwQbx33X.png

...Conrad?

ZN2C9ME.png

What, will they sell me things above market value over something?

hC9Pf2D.png

Ouch, killed by the guy I was just about to recruit.

HgZDdwd.png

Now kitsh.

myZVCjD.png

I'm so happy that Jagan is an actual character in this one.

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Outside? Minerva was not in Gaiden.

It was a joke referring to a previous post I made during the SoV run about how if Minerva was in the game she would've been damsel'd.

46 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also... it's just the one time. Why can't she be a Badass in Distress instead?

Because she was already a badass in distress in Shadow Dragon in a significantly more interesting way. She was metaphorically being damsel'd by being forced to fight for the bad guys to keep her sister alive, which was interesting and made sense for her character. No physical chains could keep her down, but that didn't mean she didn't have anything to lose.

Here she's been literally damsel'd and was rescued by her older thought-to-be dead brother, and if she was only captured to keep her sister alive, well that's just retreading old ground.

56 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Defaulting to saying she got damsel'ed speaks more on you than the game.

Speaks what?

59 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Though it's true this is a Kaga game, and if he ever began the downward slope, it was with Mystery.

I highly doubt it was a coincidence that a Nintendo game made in 1994 by Shouzou Kaga took one of the few female plot relevant characters and damsel'd her.

4 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

highly doubt it was a coincidence that a Nintendo game made in 1994 by Shouzou Kaga took one of the few female plot relevant characters and damsel'd her.

Like Acacia and Ruben said, this is where it starts. It gets worse in Judgral. It gets really really really bad in TearRing. And Vestaria makes all the damsel moments in SoV mere insignificant events.

Berwick is the only game where he had restraint and even then, he couldn't help himself.

Edited by Armagon

4 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Oh god why is he back.

The real reason.

7 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Speaks what?

How Damsel has become a label with little actual meaning these days for how much people love to use it whether warranted or not.

I highly doubt it was a coincidence that a Nintendo game made in 1994 by Shouzou Kaga took one of the few female plot relevant characters and damsel'd her.

Why is it significant that it's a 1994 game?

Pft. So, the Halloween costume contest the workplace is doing... I wasn't expecting to win, and I definitely won't. I only have like 1/10th the votes of who is in first place. lol

59 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

vqO9hQ5.pngwQbx33X.png

...Conrad?

Oh that masked stranger coming to save the day is definitely not Conrad, why he is in a mask, and Conrad would never hide his identity like that... I find this especially funny, as I was thinking about doing this little bit for him,  I just get to start it a bit earlier.

ZN2C9ME.png

This is actually kinda cute, as visiting the shop is what triggers all those dragons you can see on the mountain into aggroing your army.

hC9Pf2D.png

RIP random cavy to the chad Mattis

myZVCjD.png

I'm so happy that Jagan is an actual character in this one.

Jagan's crowning moment of awesome, keeping the story from descending into Conquest territories, although whether comically bad is better than what this game has is certainly up for debate

48 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

How Damsel has become a label with little actual meaning these days for how much people love to use it whether warranted or not.

fe12-minerva-overthrown.png

You are full of shit with that take, as she is definitely getting damseled here.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

11 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

fe12-minerva-overthrown.png

You are full of shit with that take, as she is definitely getting damseled here.

Rude much?

Oh, she's definitely a prisoner there and the CG choice is less than stellar. Better than what SoV did but still not that good either. But I wouldn't use the term "damseled" for it.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Oh, she's definitely a prisoner there. But I wouldn't use the term "damseled" for it.

Than what pray tell would need to happen for her to be "damseled" in your view? Would some prince have to waltz in there and save her...like what literally happens? Does wearing armor magically make her immune to damseling or some nonsense like that?

30 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Rude much?

If that was rude, I don't see it as any ruder than your snide and blatantly disingenuous comment about it "speaks more on you" take, only I am more honest about what I, and you are saying. If you had a more genuine argument here you might start by showing How this doesn't fit the term, instead of pretending it doesn't, especially after @Edelguardiansing layed out a few ways on how it does, and why it isn't the badass in distress with his comparison.

Can I please toss the entire Eurasian continent on Master Asia?

Doing the first part of Scenario 8 without Axel by picking Space over Earth would have been pushing things to the brink. Too many enemies, too much area to defend, I did have a bunch of spare turns actually where I did nothing having trapped the Devil Gundam. But then the old man showed up and I did not expect Banpresto to let him use a massive map attack and attacks at or over 5000 power at this point in the game. Getter Robo had already depleted its SP by that point (Hayato best- Getter Vision), and Domon needs to learn Strike. That 10k HP looked suspicious, and I saw that ability, but I did not seriously think Horse HP would be a thing in SRW.

Considering the breeze that 30 was, it is fun to have some real challenge. It did make the reinforcements more appreciated. Though Dragonar-3 is the true MVP, and I couldn't have eventually won the second half without all those juicy base tiles for the healing and damage reduction & evasion boost.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yep, the one Super Robot Gundam, hahaha. Good for them, since it allowed them to show up in SRW NEO, which excluded Real Robots. Would've been the only non-OG SRW without Gundam if not for G Gundam. And yeah, there's certainly a connection there between Ultimate/Devil Cells and Machine Cells. Specially the part about them going haywire.

Machine Cells I don't recall going haywire very much in OG2. They do become destabilized after the battle in the Cradle b/c of the very rapid sequence of events, but until that point they were functioning just fine.

Though if I can tolerate a visually-improved port of a game whose original version was release six months after Alpha Gaiden, I ought to be able to endure that. The only iffy thing is the necessity of getting skill points there.

Ah, Torrington. So close to Sydney Gulf...

Best Colony Drop GIFs | Gfycat

Where this footage be from? Just curious about the specificity of impact site.

Tsk, truly a shame. The 12 MT was already pointed out, but it also effective damage against thieves, pirates, brigands, etc.

Which has the odd effect of letting ladies OHKO bandit-type enemies in Old Mystery, 36 Mt is astounding. The Old Mystery version of the Ladyblade embodies some of the quirky, and perhaps imbalanced, old school charm that the game has.

58 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Than what pray tell would need to happen for her to be "damseled" in your view? Would some prince have to waltz in there and save her...like what literally happens? Does wearing armor magically make her immune to damseling or some nonsense like that?

Nothing? I said I wouldn't use the term for that, and I abide to it.

If that was rude, I don't see it as any ruder than your snide and blatantly disingenuous comment about it "speaks more on you" take, only I am more honest about what I, and you are saying. If you had a more genuine argument here you might start by showing How this doesn't fit the term, instead of pretending it doesn't, especially after @Edelguardiansing layed out a few ways on how it does, and why it isn't the badass in distress with his comparison.

I already said it. The term thrown about so much. All it took was her being in that cell and Edelguardiansing used the term four times in the same post. Goes to the same tired old term.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... do I detect some hostility there? Feels that way, considering how quickly you resorted to an insult in your previous post.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Can I please toss the entire Eurasian continent on Master Asia?

Doing the first part of Scenario 8 without Axel by picking Space over Earth would have been pushing things to the brink. Too many enemies, too much area to defend, I did have a bunch of spare turns actually where I did nothing having trapped the Devil Gundam. But then the old man showed up and I did not expect Banpresto to let him use a massive map attack and attacks at or over 5000 power at this point in the game. Getter Robo had already depleted its SP by that point (Hayato best- Getter Vision), and Domon needs to learn Strike. That 10k HP looked suspicious, and I saw that ability, but I did not seriously think Horse HP would be a thing in SRW.

Considering the breeze that 30 was, it is fun to have some real challenge. It did make the reinforcements more appreciated. Though Dragonar-3 is the true MVP, and I couldn't have eventually won the second half without all those juicy base tiles for the healing and damage reduction & evasion boost.

Yeah, I prefer taking the Space route there, haha. Though it might feel different in the GBA version. I probably just don't remember, but I don't recall having too much trouble dealing with him.

Machine Cells I don't recall going haywire very much in OG2. They do become destabilized after the battle in the Cradle b/c of the very rapid sequence of events, but until that point they were functioning just fine.

They certainly do. At least in Alpha Gaiden definitely. Though Magus is more composed and coordinated than the Devil Gundam.

Though if I can tolerate a visually-improved port of a game whose original version was release six months after Alpha Gaiden, I ought to be able to endure that. The only iffy thing is the necessity of getting skill points there.

Oh yes. I'm certainly looking forward to see if I manage to get them all in T myself, heh.

Where this footage be from? Just curious about the specificity of impact site.

That's from Unicorn. Curiously, the impact site of Operation British being Sydney was not that set in stone. In the original Gundam the footage showed a non-descript city. In War in the Pocket, Sydney is spoken of as if it still existed. It wasn't until Stardust Memories that the impact site being Sydney was finally set in stone.

Which has the odd effect of letting ladies OHKO bandit-type enemies in Old Mystery, 36 Mt is astounding. The Old Mystery version of the Ladyblade embodies some of the quirky, and perhaps imbalanced, old school charm that the game has.

It's certainly a curious thing, yeah.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Maybe my mind is to quick to default to the actual meaning of Damsel. That of "young woman". To "Damselify" sounds more like enacting the plot of My Fair Lady instead.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They certainly do. At least in Alpha Gaiden definitely. Though Magus is more composed and coordinated than the Devil Gundam.

Which sounds somewhat odd coming off of OG. For OG, the Machine Cells are functional for like eight months at best before Rest in the Cradle (or, "Rest Beneath the Earth"), assuming Dr. Feff couldn't have had them operational prior to the "acquisition" of Magus's bio-core (which he says might no longer be needed at some distant point in time) as his dialogue suggests. For Alpha Gaiden, there is a timeskip of how many years, 100, 500? Cryostasis I can imagine is the reason, you can't do much in cold sleep, but how did the Machine Cell not get perfected somewhere down the line in all that time?

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Which sounds somewhat odd coming off of OG. For OG, the Machine Cells are functional for like eight months at best before Rest in the Cradle (or, "Rest Beneath the Earth"), assuming Dr. Feff couldn't have had them operational prior to the "acquisition" of Magus's bio-core (which he says might no longer be needed at some distant point in time) as his dialogue suggests. For Alpha Gaiden, there is a timeskip of how many years, 100, 500? Cryostasis I can imagine is the reason, you can't do much in cold sleep, but how did the Machine Cell not get perfected somewhere down the line in all that time?

That's basically the main difference. In Alpha Gaiden the timespan was longer form their initial malfunction. I don't remember if an actual number is given, likely not, but it's basically "time enough".

Well, after the gravitational shockwave ravaged Earth, it likely wasn't much priority. What survived of humanity had to flee the planet when the Underground Empires took this chance. There's actually a short manga depicting this. Magus shows up and drives them back, while allowing the humans to leave the planet. Then she goes back to "slumber".

Meanwhile, the Earth Cradle project had been abandoned by DC, leaving it unfinished. It was the Nubia Connection from Galaxy Cyclone Braiger who finished the Cradle, providing both funds and the like. No one left the hibernation after the shockwave, so nothing was done. When the machine cells began to go haywire, the Nubians woke up and left for Jupiter to continue their cryostasis. Anyone who remained was killed or assimilated... except for Sanger, who Magus kept him in cold sleep likely due to that one part of Sophia Nate that remained.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... do I detect some hostility there? Feels that way, considering how quickly you resorted to an insult in your previous post.

The argument you are pulling here is particularly disingenuous, and in a topic where a lot of disingenuous arguments get thrown around because people like to pretend sexism doesn't exist. You are claiming the term's overuse has stripped it of meaning, while literally stripping it of meaning yourself. You never once even tried to show how the term doesn't fit here, or what would be needed for it to fit, or even define what you think damseling even means. You just started claiming it was unwarranted, even after people justified it as warranted in this case. At least now I think you tried to show what you meant with

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe my mind is to quick to default to the actual meaning of Damsel. That of "young woman". To "Dameslify" sounds more like enacting the plot of My Fair Lady instead.

The term is more hearkening back to the "damsel in distress" trope, forcing her to fill the role of the damsel that is in distress, whether that role fits her character or not.

16 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I already said it. The term thrown about so much. All it took was her being in that cell and Edelguardiansing used the term four times in the same post.

Her just being in that cell is kinda the problem. If we actually got to see the context behind her imprisonment, see what overwhelming odds surpassed what should have been her badassery (and not some half-assed attempt) I don't think the term would fit so well. Instead we have what should be a powerful woman stripped of power and imprisoned, seemingly arbitrarily by the plot, so some young princes can show off their prowess instead. Adding even more insult to the injury, the feebleness of her kidnappers is made even more evident by Michalis just waltzing in and cowing them with a glance, making you wonder how she was captured by these clowns to begin with.

8 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Still crazy to me that Faye and Ruby never get kidnapped.

Faye even gets rendered helpless several times because she has her shonen arc, where her rival kicks the crap out of her several times before she finally turns the tables with a powerup in their final battle.
And Ruby is a rookie knight with a strong sense of justice and Leeroy Jenkins tendencies. But her impulsiveness never even gets her rendered helpless at all.

Yeah, the only time Ruby loses in the plot it only makes another character look bad.

Almost all NPC girls get kidnapped at some point. But Tianna, who is very much the female lead of the game, is notably spared from it.

I don't recall Rosalie ever being kidnapped either. Those two are great. Marybelle never gets into any sort of trouble, and Cecily's friend oh my God I can't believe I'm blanking out on her name escapes safely before anything can happen to her. Then there's a bunch of character arc NPCs, like Ophelia or Shaiah (I hope I didn't butcher her name either) who never suffer anything either.

Honestly, I'd say "almost all" is an exaggeration here. There's a fair amount that don't suffer any kind of Kaga shenanigans. Because Berwick is best.

Maybe it helped that the game has a POW exchange system. So kidnappings of player characters can happen naturally as part of the gameplay.

They did it to appease to Kaga lol

8 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

0/10

You mean.

8 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Greetings.

I return to bring your an incredibly cursed romhack.

I hope you enjoy.

Will I return again? Who can say?

Well, that sounds like it could be rather humorous.

Now make Gay Gen so I can do Arden!Seliph

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

"I got full cover here, I should be fine"

*Burn, Splash and Gust damage*

Haha, well, simply don't get it, my man.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

God, the World 5 gimmick is so cool.

Oh shit, I gotta hurry then. I've slowed down again, so I'm still in Terra Flora. Now I wanna see that gimmick for myself.

Yeah, by this stage of the game, it's official, the last tiny remaining bits of doubt are gone. Sparks of Hope clears every other SRPG in the genre.

I do like how even here we've managed to find a way to disagree. You call it best SRPG, I'm not sure if I'd go that far. I call it GOTY, you have Xeno 3 instead.

6 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Ah shame. If it's in New Mystery I'll have to get it then.

It works just the same there.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

r1jEFYD.png

Oh god why is he back

Because Kaga did contrived survival first. Admittedly, not to the point of making an absolute mockery of it like Hubert and the Death Knight do, but... Yeah.

wQbx33X.png

...Conrad?

F U C K

C O N R A D

ZN2C9ME.png

I believe it's supposed to be that it is in range of the ballista.

But yeah, it's a weird bit of text nonetheless.

hC9Pf2D.png

Bye Luke. Better luck in the game where you are a character.

HgZDdwd.png

Now kitsh.

Cool guy Matthis.

myZVCjD.png

I'm so happy that Jagan is an actual character in this one

He has the best line in the game, to be sure.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is actually kinda cute, as visiting the shop is what triggers all those dragons you can see on the mountain into aggroing your army.

...oh, and that happens too.

Almost 5:00 AM...

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Now make Gay Gen so I can do Arden!Seliph

But you can do this already. Seliph is tied to Deirdre.