Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Man, the story beats will hit much better if the cutscenes weren't suffering from "everyone is standing and doing nothing" syndrome xD

Yeah, game may be pretty but it's not Berwick lolololol that game had the best cutscenes.

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Hide contents

Badass while mindwash. Is such a thing  possible!

And you spoiled it to me 10 seconds before it happened butvmy mistake  for being slow cuz of hype xD

Spoiler

That and it also let Mauvier be a badass on his own right without victimizing Veyle for his sake like Kaga definitely would've. Remember Fauve? Yeah. Thank God Mauvier is not that.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I foresaw this happening from the beginning of the game

Yet still amazing

Ch.22 end spoilers

Hide contents

Alear becoming an Emblem i mean

To be completely honest...

Spoiler

Yeah you know me, we've had these talks before. I know the outrage, but if they had stuck to their guns, killed off Alear for real after the corrupted shenanigans and replaced them as protag with Veyle, it would have blown my mind. It would have been the perfect switcheroo: "though we were just going to find an excuse to instantly undo their death? SIKE being corrupted only gave them one more chapter to live."

As it is, it feels like they wanted to have their cake and eat it too. They killed them twice in a row and found a way to turn it all into a consequenceless power up. Can't say I was as thrilled about it.

But I mean, who cares. It's very clumsy and rushed, but the story still got better. With the supreme gameplay, I will take it.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:
  Hide contents

Emblems: "Alear, we grant you the title of Emblem"

I don't want this game to end....

You said it.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Sigh* I so badly want to feel something to this scene but just the fact that she's talking to a brick wall kills any potential emotion.

That and from the player's perspective they haven't seen each other in a grand total of five minutes lol

Some Bylethless chapters would've been best here, I feel. But they had no time or budget.

I've said it before I'll say it again, the designs in post time-skip Three Houses are hands down the most unique and interesting designs of any Fire Emblem game, and it's literally just because FE remembered that men can also have long hair.

You know what they did not remember?

Men can have beards.

swear to god, I don't give a shit that it has no effect on gameplay, from now till the end of this game I will not have Linhardt kill anyone.

Give him an axe, Quetzal.

It's just a shame that Mastermind from Awakening is literally the only good boss theme in Fire Emblem music history.

Eh. Lost King's Supper better.

Then what the fuck are you doing back at the Monastery?!

The question everyone has ever asked.

They really should've axed the monastery in part 2.

But then, if they did that part 2 would've lasted like two hours, so I can't blame them for padding.

3 hours ago, joevar said:

Chapter 20 is.. kinda clever actually. Imo

Hide contents

Turning annoying stuff like fog of war into even more annoying but clever at the same time ( if you were in enemy position). Theres actual strategy from enemy boss here they actually put good use of their quirkiness and theur emblem ring power.

Almost like playing horror game; moving then putting up torch only to see boss hiding the dark corner ready to surprise you lmao

"So bad its good" maybe the correct word here

I dunno about maddening, but on hard I found the enemy placement was lenient enough that this map didn't become complete bullshit. Thank goodness for that.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Wow, the only thing Treehouse did wrong with the localization was tone down the player becoming lovers with underaged characters into being friends with them? They really did solid job with this one didn't they.

Well, that's going to cause an argument. Dive for the trenches, everyone.

...I will say only this: I find it exceedingly difficult to feel outraged over this particular brand of "butchering." No doubt the localization has other flaws, I mean, it's Treehouse lol. But this specific thing...

What does it matter to me anyway, I married the oldest fuck in the game because it was funny

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...I will say only this: I find it exceedingly difficult to feel outraged over this particular brand of "butchering." No doubt the localization has other flaws, I mean, it's Treehouse lol. But this specific thing...

If there is something else to this Treehouse "butchering" claim, I would love to see it...

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Spoiler

killed off Alear for real after the corrupted shenanigans and replaced them as protag with Veyle, it would have blown my mind. It would have been the perfect switcheroo: "though we were just going to find an excuse to instantly undo their death? SIKE being corrupted only gave them one more chapter to live."

Spoiler

Honestly, i feel like Alear will die at the end now, who knows.

Don't spoil if you already finished the game

Spoiler

They killed them twice in a row and found a way to turn it all into a consequenceless power up.

Spoiler

Well, it's not exactly consequenceless, what's with the Emblems not being able to help this world anymore after this and all.

That and they wanted to use this for Lumera.

And it honestly made sense how they did, since Alear's body still exists and all

No doubt the localization has other flaws,

Some of which have already been pointed out on this thread and how characterizations/writing changed.

Louis, Fogado and there's probably more.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:
  Hide contents

Honestly, i feel like Alear will die at the end now, who knows.

Don't spoil if you already finished the game

Got two chapters left. One of them has the best map theme in the series.

Hide contents

Well, it's not exactly consequenceless, what's with the Emblems not being able to help this world anymore after this and all.

That and they wanted to use this for Lumera.

And it honestly made sense how they did, since Alear's body still exists and all

Spoiler

Yeah, that's fair enough. Still, I feel like getting to keep their body, for now at least, felt a bit cowardly. Regardless, like I said, it may be a bit clumsy, but it has certainly improved.

Some of which have already been pointed out on this thread and how characterizations/writing changed.

Louis, Fogado and there's probably more.

Yeah, I thought I remembered some things. Truth be told, I don't mind that they made Louis weird instead of creepy, but that's just me personally. As for Fogado... What was it that changed, again? I don't remember.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't mind that they made Louis weird instead of creepy, but that's just me personally. As for Fogado...

Not the loc. Position to change a character like this, imo.

He is a creep and got turned into a weird but nice dude.

Fogado was made less flirty and from what others have said less shrewd as well.

There's probably more, as there's super big mismatch between the en text and jp voices everywhere. Probably playing with en voices such stuff doesn't become noticeable, and i wouldn't be complaining lol.

...And honestly even romance changes are weird, since Alear is 17 but can't date fellow 17 year olds, but ok with 50 year olds? That's stupid. Only ones really "censor worthy" are Jean and Anna. Alas idc about romance that much, but it's stupid.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Not the loc. Position to change a character like this, imo.

Fogado was made less flirty and from what others have said less shrewd as well.

There's probably more, as there's super big mismatch between the en text and jp voices everywhere. Probably playing with en voices such stuff doesn't become noticeable, and i wouldn't be complaining lol.

...And honestly even romance changes are weird, since Alear is 17 but can't date fellow 17 year olds, but ok with 50 year olds? That's stupid. Only ones really "censor worthy" are Jean and Anna. Alas idc about romance that much, but it's stupid.

I like how you are trying to make me see how sacrilegous these changes are by telling me they made Fogado less like Claude.

Don't get me wrong, I see your point, I just thought it was funny.

That aside... Ultimately, I suppose I am just more lenient with these things, on a personal level. I don't mind changes like this that much, and if I find they are more to my liking... Well, I can't bring myself to be too upset about it.

Roy's paralogue,...

you know what, if 1st attempt win with no turtling, no retry, no battle save, no rewind, count as easiest.. this would be it.  dunno whether im already spending too much time on the original FE6 map, or because they cut the reinforcement in half, or because im starting to overlevelled a bit. maybe all of it

heck, Roy forgot to use the Binding blade too somehow, smh.  Either way, the cleanest fight i've done in any paralogue.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I dunno about maddening, but on hard I found the enemy placement was lenient enough that this map didn't become complete bullshit. Thank goodness for that.

agreed. the map could become hellish BS, but they stop short of that thankfully. they just want to make sure they are being clever in map design without being too cruel. except the previous chaper 19.. which is just BS if not turtling

Edited by joevar

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

don't mind changes like this that much, and if I find they are more to my liking... Well, I can't bring myself to be too upset about it.

Yh fair

I just don't think it's a loc's job to rewrite or change stuff like that. Adapt yes, but same meaning/characterization should be retained.

Playing with jp voices shouldn't feel like i am watching the hitler meme with different subs, ya know, the one lol

3 minutes ago, joevar said:

Roy forgot to use the Binding blade too somehow, smh

He critted me with it lol

53 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Then I must have missed the side-by-sides translations of those two characters in there somewhere. If you could drag them back up I would appreciate it, but the thread is moving fast enough, that I wouldn't blame you if you can't find where this came up (I certainly missed it the first time around).

37 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I think some Fogado stuff was posted here somewhere, but not Louis. Could look it up when i finish work, but at the same time i'd rather just continue playing to not kill my hype lol

No problem, although I hope you aren't too offended that I base my opinion on what I have actually seen.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I kinda see it more as an admission that they consider Alear as more of a stand-in for the player, than they are an actual character.

That could just as easily be a sign of a good localization than that of a bad one. Japanese is a very different language from English, prone to dropping anything they can get away with implying in a sentence, and a localization that closely matches up with the Japanese vocals often has to do some extremely awkward things to cover that feature. Some classic, and hamfisted example of this is when you keep hearing "A certain ___" a lot in the localization, or the passive voice appearing a lot. Another example I remember seeing in one of the Engage side-by-side translations was for the fan translator to interpret this as people talking metaphorically ALL the time, which came across as obnoxiously pretentious.

31 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I kinda see it more as an admission that they consider Alear as more of a stand-in for the player

Alear is anything but a self-insert. S/He isn't even close to it.

Might be the MC with the most personality in the series tbh

If the translators see Alear as more of a self insert, then i am doubting even more they understood the game they worked on

31 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Japanese is a very different language from English, prone to dropping anything they can get away with implying in a sentence, and a localization that closely matches up with the Japanese vocals often has to do some extremely awkward things to cover that featur

I realise, but the meaning shouldn't change.

Like the Louis thing, they completely changed his character.

A good loc should make the text flow well, it shouldn't change the writing/meaning/intent/characterization.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Alear is anything but a self-insert. S/He isn't even close to it.

Yet you name them, define their gender, walk around as them, decide who they will hang out with, and make decisions as them. I do think they are closer to the defined character end of things, but it isn't a binary thing, and the trapping of an avatar linger on them still.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I realise, but the meaning shouldn't change.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it sounded like this was something that you could personally hear while playing the game. Are you sufficiently fluent in Japanese that you can hear this change in meaning?

Like the Louis thing, they completely changed his character.

I don't even know that they did that. Even if I take you at your word (which for all I know came from you taking someone else at their word) that

that isn't exactly a huge change, and could simply be a difference of interpretation of the guy's intent, than necessarily an earth shattering change.

19 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

walk around as them, decide who they will hang out with, and make decisions as them.

Literally every protag in existence.

Are you sufficiently fluent in Japanese that you can hear this change in meaning?

admittdely not, but i double checked with people who are to make sure i am not going crazy with the stuff i noticed with the little knowledge i have. And there's even more stuff i didn't notice when i kept asking around.

necessarily an earth shattering change.

Even a slight change it might be, it's unneeded and shouldn't be a thing.

finished Ch.21

what can i say, this map 

Spoiler

will break or make the people who likes turtling.

the map looks spacious with scattered emblem energy placed well enough not too far unlike other chapter. whats the harm in spreading my forces a bit right... right ???

then reinforcement came.. oh wait theres more, oh no theres even more, oh well F* theres no end to it

reinforcement basically becomes the time limit of the map without telling us it is. well played IS, you got me there even tho i dont really plan on turtling

entering Ch. 22

....WHAT?!

Spoiler

WHAT THE -

thats XC3 level plot twist. thankfully my tissue is near

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Literally every protag in existence.

There is a distinction that I think you understand perfectly well, and I will illustrate it using Lief. Lief may be the protagonist of Thracia 776, but he holds a different role from Alear. You don't name Lief. You don't walk around with Lief in a way that is distinct from any other characters. You don't control who Lief hangs out. Lief doesn't have the trapping of an Avatar, you are not playing as Lief, but Lief is the Protagonist of his game.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Even a slight change it might be, it's unneeded and shouldn't be a thing.

The thing is, I don't know if the difference is big enough that it necessarily is a change. English sentences need to fill in the blanks that Japanese leave behind through implication. Is it a change if the distinction isn't made in the Japanese, but a distinction has to be made in the English?

12 minutes ago, joevar said:
Spoiler

thats XC3 level plot twist. thankfully my tissue is near

IKR

Spoiler

I even saw someone compare the music to Xenoblade. Which is the feeling i got as well

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

You don't name Lief. You don't walk around with Lief in a way that is distinct from any other characters. You don't control who Lief hangs out. Lief doesn't have the trapping of an Avatar, you are not playing as Lief, but Lief is the Protagonist of his game.

That's because Leif happened before the support system. Every FE from 6 onwards let's you choose who "the protagonist" hangs out with.

Sorry but this ain't it. If Alear is an avatar then every other FE protag is a cardbord with no personality. Including Leif.

Every protag in existence the player can control has the things you talk about.

And i will be direct and honest:

Anyone who claims or thinks Alear is a self insert either didn't play the game or understand it. And if the translators think so, then they are guilty of the same and maybe they shouldn't translate games anymore

13 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And i will be direct and honest:

Anyone who claims or thinks Alear is a self insert either didn't play the game or understand it. And if the translators think so, then they are guilty of the same and maybe they shouldn't translate games anymore

I will say, on some level they were very clearly intended as a self-insert. Not just because you can name them, or that you can control them directly, or even that stuff like the S support CGs and the hilarious "wake up to stalkers in your room" nonsense are presented in a first person PoV. For me, the big one that confirms it is that in a lot of tutorial blurbs about gaining supports, Somniel activities and other things that concern Alear specifically, the game straight up addresses them as "you."

The difference, I think, is that this time they didn't sacrifice their entire character for the sake of making them a complete self-insert. They are their own realized character with some self-insert elements. Akin to previous avatars like Corrin, Robin and Kris, minus the character customization, though Alear's character writing is probably the most robust out of the avatars, with the arguable exception of Robin.

What I'm getting at is, instead of being a bad avatar and a bad character like a certain someone, they're just a bad avatar lol

Edited by Saint Rubenio

For me, the big one that confirms it is that a lot of tutorial blurbs about gaining supports, Somniel activities and other things that concern Alear specifically straight up address them as "you."

Correct me if i am mistaken, but don't most tutorials in gaming in general do that, atleast from what i remember.

Some games do mention protag name, but not all do.

What I'm getting at is, instead of being a bad avatar and a bad character like a certain someone, they're just a bad avatar lol

They ain't even an avatar. If an avatar has that much personality then every protag in existence is an avatar

Correct me if i am mistaken, but don't most tutorials in gaming in general do that, atleast from what i remember.

Some games do mention protag name, but not all do.

Ehhhh I do feel that most games refer to protagonists by their name at least some times in tutorials and meta text. Engage never does as far as I recall, it's always "you". But I haven't paid that much attention to the tutorials so I could always be mistaken. Yell at me if so.

They ain't even an avatar. If an avatar has that much personality then every protag in existence is an avatar

Well, I'm talking more about intent than anything else here. I just get the feeling that Alear was meant as a self-insert to some degree, is all. I do very much agree that they are a better character than previous avatars, though.

Heck, previous protagonists. As a character, I am finding that I like them more than most FE protagonists. As a unit too. Reminds me of Reese, starting rather bleh but gaining cool tools for themselves as the game goes (Gram, Uber Corrin). Except since Alear is Camilla, they have utility from the start.

And that's just... That's just not right man. Colgate-chan from Bad Story Game should not be a fine protagonist... Right?

...You know, on another matter. Your completely uncalled for Leif slander got me thinking... Alear and Leif have in common that, unlike like, every other FE protag, they both make mistakes and fail over the course of their games with disastrous consequences. Huh.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Ehhhh I do feel that most games refer to protagonists by their name at least some times in tutorials and meta text

It's different from game to game, then again tutorials for me are "read to understand and then forget" lol

I just get the feeling that Alear was meant as a self-insert to some degree, is all

I actually feel the exact other way around. They wrote them as a "normal" Lord then just decided to add name and gender change for the hell of it/modern crowd. No way that writing was intented as "self insert"

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Reminds me of Reese, starting rather bleh but gaining cool tools for themselves as the game goes (Gram, Uber Corrin).

Ya know

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they got some Berwick designers on the game somehow. Some stuff feels really intended in some way, ya know? Then again, if it's the same designers as Fates, it has lotsa oldies as well, including those who worked under Kaga, so...

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Your completely uncalled for Leif slander got me thinking

I didn't mean to attack Leafy boi, more like if Alear is an avatar, then so is Leafy boi kek.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

lear and Leif have in common that, unlike like, every other FE protag, they both make mistakes and fail over the course of their games with disastrous consequences. Huh.

see?