• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Some things to note about fliers.
Since fliers are in the air, their movement cannot be blocked. But they also cannot block the movement of ground units either.
It's also impossible to initiate combat against them with a 0 range attack. But 0 range attacks can still counter a flier if they initiate a 0 range attack themselves.
Attacking from the Air with a 1 range attack also ignores the rule that defenders with 11+ speed can still counter attack with a 0 range weapon, for obvious reasons.
With her middling stats, Larentia does not take counter attacks well. But with Windsweep and Throw she has a good kit to get around that limitation.
So yeah, being a flier provides a lot of safety.

That being said, in complete violation of common sense, crippled fliers can be captured just fine by ground units. So careful there.

Fliers also do not benefit from the avoid bonus of the terrain there are on. But that does not mean they don't get an avoid bonus at all.
Being in the air is the same as being under the effect of an 3% avoid tile.

thats a very helpful tips. thanks yet again.

this tidbit or rules about flier are interesting. it has much more sense. 

either way, i like using her. hit & run attack mostly

2 hours ago, BrightBow said:

Clerics are primarily needed on the road anyway. As Daoud implies and the Game Hints state, while standard healing orbs cannot fix cripples, the more HP a crippled unit has, the less likely it is that their movement is canceled prematurely.

oh thats interesting. i thought crippled is a truly lost cause already that you dont need to heal them

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Same as any other 0 range attacker. Because attacking at 0 range means you are moving onto the tile the defender is standing on

wait.. so you benefit from any avo tiles that some boss refuse to move? and they become easier to hit when attacking our unit (thats not on high avo tile for example) ?

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That scene is so funny.

insta max-skill her. one chapter later her skill maxed at 30, lol. 

but is it really just 30 for light orb? 

is there even a promotion in this game. feels like i dont want to know

36 minutes ago, joevar said:

wait.. so you benefit from any avo tiles that some boss refuse to move? and they become easier to hit when attacking our unit (thats not on high avo tile for example) ?

That's right, you got it.

insta max-skill her. one chapter later her skill maxed at 30, lol. 

but is it really just 30 for light orb?

Lol you're dedicated.

Yeah, Saphira's stats are... Not amazing.

is there even a promotion in this game. feels like i dont want to know

There is, yes. Characters must fulfill requirements to promote. In most cases you need to reach a threshold of level and weapon skill, though some people promote due to story events or completely different requirements, such as one specific character who promoted when they reach 5 magic.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lol you're dedicated.

Yeah, Saphira's stats are... Not amazing.

Still, gotta protecc

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There is, yes. Characters must fulfill requirements to promote. In most cases you need to reach a threshold of level and weapon skill, though some people promote due to story events or completely different requirements, such as one specific character who promoted when they reach 5 magic.

Out of all characters that has appeared in ch. 5, is there among them who is a pre promote? I really cant tell.

Also @BrightBow please explain cripple again. Feels like every bandit and their assasin/thief have fancy weapons, while our army just standard issue hardware, except the one from chest

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Exactly.
Though it is of course most impactful with cliff tiles because of them always setting avoid to 0.

For the same reason moving onto the opponent's hex counts towards the charge bonus of spears and lances.

6 hours ago, joevar said:

TjsZM9UAEu.jpg

Speaking of Avoid, this is a pretty convenient screencap to talk about it now that we established Larentia is always on 3% avoid terrain. The tooltip does tell you what each number means, when it's used and how it's calculated, but there is a lot to take in, so I think there is no harm in a refresher.

As you can see every character has 3 avoid values. They are used for different situations.
The first one is for physical attacks at 0-1 range.
The 2nd is for magical attacks at 0-1 range.
The 3rd is for any attacks at 2 or more range. Regardless of whether or not it's magic or physical.

The first value is your AS x 2 + Terrain bonus. Pretty standard stuff. In this case your AS is 4 and the terrain gives a bonus of 3. 4 x 2 + 3 = 11.
The 2nd however ignores terrain bonus entirely. Without the +3 from terrain we end up with 8.
The 3nd one doubles the terrain bonus. So it's another +3 on top of the first value and we reach 14.

This distinction is particularly impactful for magic attacks, since they might go from completely ignoring terrain at 1 range to getting double the terrain penalty when attacking at 2 range.

Edited by BrightBow

7 hours ago, joevar said:

another painful one. 90% axe users that somehow hit me more than axe user in FE6, while my army hit like those in FE6 axe user... wtf..

They are usually set with high weapon levels, which affects accuracy.

Edited by Lightcosmo

13 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

They are usually set with high weapon levels, which affects accuracy.

To put it simply, those weird +80% hitrate miss in engage, happen so much more here..

hence why i said its painful since as you already know, missing means enemy get to counter

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Also @BrightBow please explain cripple again. Feels like every bandit and their assasin/thief have fancy weapons, while our army just standard issue hardware, except the one from chest

Well, it's extremely RNG dependent at the best of days. If it seems like your units are more likely to get crippled then enemies, that's because they are. They use a different formula that makes them more likely to get crippled.
You are most certainly not expected to steal stuff left and right. You might have noticed that abilities like Czene's Mug, Thaddy's Steal or Axel's Robbery have a hard cap for how often they can be used each map.

The more of your current HP you lose in one blow, the higher your chance to get crippled. But if you take only half your current HP or less in damage, you cannot get crippled. Something to keep in mind to ensure the safety of your own units.
The chance of a successful cripple rises dramatically once an injury comes into play. For injuries, it only takes 30% of your current HP to face a cripple chance. So if one of your units is inflicted with one, you want to heal it up ASAP by getting their HP back to full.

So injuries. How do you inflict those?
Assuming the unit does not have Robust, normal attacks that successfully deal damage have a 3% chance to inflict an injury. 9% if the weapon was a knife.
An injury will cause the afflicted to drop their weapon and shield after the current battle. Though nothing stops them from reequipping the next time they move. It also inflicts a 10% avoid penalty.
If it wasn't for the increased cripple chance, this status would be relatively harmless.

If an enemy is injured, reducing them to 1 HP with a Cripple chance multiplying weapon should get the job done in almost all situations. Unless they are already reduced to like 2 HP or something.
There are two weapons that have a cripple multiplier: The Apeiron, a bow that can be crafted at the Blacksmith. And the Lightning spell, which can be purchased from the magic shop. They can be quite valuable tools.
Injuries are were it gets tricky. There are limited ways to increase your injury chance, and they are tricky to set up. I would recommend to simply focus on seizing the opportunity if an enemy does get injured.

It might be easier to focus on Thaddy's Steal skill. Since he can just steal stuff on command, as long as he can safely get close to an enemy.
He has a good kit that helps with that. He can Provoke enemies to force them to come close. (Keep in mind, he can combine this with Hide, which has all kinds of implications) And he can use Evasion to make himself temporarily untouchable to a lot of enemies.
But other allies with Provoke, as well as those with Guard can help with that as well.
Eventually there are also Stun Knifes in the shop. Stun knives have a 1 / 3 chance to force the target to drop their weapon, similar to inflicting an injury. And if something is not equipped, Thaddy can steal it.

But there is indeed stuff you can do about maximizing your injury chances.
As I said, Knifes have a higher than normal chance to cause injury. 9% instead of 3%.
Also, the Harpoon has a +12% chance to inflict injury and it's easily accessible in the Spear shop. Beyond that it gets difficult.
Arthur has the Flourish skill, which will half his attack power in exchange of increasing his injury chance by +33%. Much better then normal attacks, but still not exactly super reliable considering it's 4 turn cooldown. Still, it synergizes greatly with attack multiplying weapons like the Estoc. Just keep in mind, you can't inflict an injury if your attack don't cause any damage at all.
Then we have the Blizzard spell, which can get crafted at the Alchemist. +33% cripple chance and no cooldown. A great and simple option, but limited by it's durability of 15. So we are dealing with an average of 5 injuries here before it runs out.
Then there is the Bolt Knife. A knife that gives +33% injury chance. Being a weapon, it has no cooldown. It has low value, meaning it only costs a single charge of a Repair Stone to full restore, even from red durability. And since it's a knife, it's guaranteed to always deal scratch damage.
Easily the best tool to truly go nuts with setting up injuries. The problem is getting one.
There are only 2 in the game. The 2nd one can be fairly easily stolen by the highest bounty target in the game: Riddle. He carries a whole bunch of knives with him. Simply bait him into equipping his Assassin Knife, then steal the Bolt Knife.
The 1st one is harder to get. It's wielded by a generic Rouge in Adel's map during chapter 5. It's his sole weapon, so he is not going to drop it unless you force him to. Stun Knives are not available at that point, so you got to do it with an injury.
Your best bet here is probably Arthur with a Short Sword. With the Short Sword being very weak and Flourish halving your attack power, you should get a decent amount of tries. Just make sure Thaddy is nearby to steal it when the opportunity presents itself.

Certain dishes will also modify your cripple and injury chances.

Edited by BrightBow

50 minutes ago, joevar said:

To put it simply, those weird +80% hitrate miss in engage, happen so much more here..

hence why i said its painful since as you already know, missing means enemy get to counter

Berwick generator has a wicked streak, no doubt about it.

"Least popular Engage character" thread in the FE subreddit.

General consensus is Lindon.

I mean, I know it is true. I always knew it would be this way. It still hurts a bit to see, though.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Welcome to the beautiful world of 1 RN. You see, most Fire Emblem games lie about their hitrates. Over 50% displayed rates are actually higher, under 50% are lower. It's what we call True Hit.

Engage uses a different system that doesn't lie as much, and Berwick just plain doesn't lie. 80% means for every 5 hits, one will miss. It's important to stop thinking of 70+ rates as guaranteed hits, and 30- rates as guaranteed missed.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but I looked at the finished doodle and my first impression was "yeah that's the Walter White face."

You should always want to say something.

We have to cook, Ochette.

You are my assistant now.

Yo, Mistah Vanstein.

Don't remember. I'm pretty sure SP recover automatically between battles, but I may be wrong.

Well, now it recovers more. Or they changed it so it doesn’t recover at all, and you can recover it now with Castti’s skill.

Yeah I was afraid Hikari would be really generic. Guess I'll look forward to that little twist you mentioned.

I mean, it’s not that big a deal, but I was expecting the plot to go through a certain formula that I guess it won’t now. Or not fully, in any case.

...Dear dear...

Yeah. You might recognize it when you get there, it’s been in FE too.

Perhaps for those who played the first chapters on the demo / are replaying the game and want to get to the teambuilding goodness faster?

I guess, but they’ll have to deal with under leveled characters for a little bit. 

Oh they made the Ganon form of the final boss in Link's Awakening cringe in HD. In the original/DX version, you simply slashed away at him. In this version, he has his spear which he uses to guard himself while he's throwing the fire bats at you. When he throws his spear, he's supposed to be vulnerable except I've hit him a few times when he did that and nothing happened.

Also the room is still the same size so avoiding the spear in the first place is a lot trickier.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

80% means for every 5 hits, one will miss.

Alternatively, all five of those hits will miss because everybody other than Dean is a Stormtrooper.

This applies to the enemy too and because of how Berwick battles go, it causes a lot of interactions to just be nothing. I know you aren't supposed to approach it like FE but c'mon.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

I'm pretty sure Engage is the FE where 8% hit rates get me at least 5 times a battle. XD

Fates RN will do that to ya haha.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

You should always want to say something.

Fine, I will say something:

Go play Osvald.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Yo, Mistah Vanstein.

Now I'm imagining the cocaine chase scene but Osvald is struggling to exit through the bathroom door while Ochette dashes away with her coke.

....you know what's funny though? I've been browsing the Octopath subreddit, and they have been making Breaking Bad memes there as well... But with Castti instead. Maybe when I play her chapter I'll find out why.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Well, now it recovers more. Or they changed it so it doesn’t recover at all, and you can recover it now with Castti’s skill.

That can't be right, because I depleted Osvald's SP in every battle and in the next it was always, without fail, magically back to max.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I mean, it’s not that big a deal, but I was expecting the plot to go through a certain formula that I guess it won’t now. Or not fully, in any case.

Yeah. You might recognize it when you get there, it’s been in FE too.

Nooooo that's not a good sign

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I guess, but they’ll have to deal with under leveled characters for a little bit. 

True.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Alternatively, all five of those hits will miss because everybody other than Dean is a Stormtrooper.

Well, yeah. Probability is a complex thing.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This applies to the enemy too and because of how Berwick battles go, it causes a lot of interactions to just be nothing. I know you aren't supposed to approach it like FE but c'mon.

I suppose that's fair. Even if I've never seen it as that big of a deal.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah like fr what is this? I can damage him with Pegasus Boots but I end up taking damage.

Looool

It really seems like he SHOULD be vulnerable there...

Berwick Saga Chapter 5: War... war never changes

This is it.. THIS IS IT @Saint Rubenio. yes, the time has come: this is the chapter where i truly, honestly, like both gameplay and story at the same, in the same degree. dunno what your time is now, hopefully you can sleep well today, knowing someone just praise berwick.

I love when they just go full war with great numbers but not in dumb swarm ala FE6, chaotic battlefield, multi chokepoint, some defend objective thats not BS (more than one line of defense) and a bit of drama sprinkled on top. Oh, and War Theatre! about time they go back to it. No war stories will be complete without multi frontline status update that gives you sense of progression despite you (can) not participating. HEck, a lot of war-themed games forgot to present it in their cutscene properly.

Everybody and their sons now equipped with shield. should be painful i thought, but somehow not really? since there are quite a number of NPC that acts as initial buffer. and their attention kinda divided too. Also stubborn a old villager guy that renders another old dude in the army near useless.

Some key moments:

Spoiler

54VhcA7agJ.jpg

you were almost, almost redeem yourself there.. but you just had to step back huh. To be fair, i actually agree to some extent with the corrupt advisor here. If the king go, theres a lot of ways things go even worse. I mean, last time Berwick Leagues' King go to war.. the king died horribly and half the territory lost not long after that, so theres already precedent LMAO

5s24gPI4La.jpg

at least this guy has the decency, alas you're not the chosen one. not this time dude.

CydGlJXVvk.jpg

this is battle of the century. A burglar calling the tresspasser a thief and proceed to kill each other to decide who can steal. this got me a good laugh amid the tensions.

WUR4i2MfjE.jpg

another close one. last turn, end up with a BANG. or rather a crippled enemy General.. when was the last time i crippled a boss, cant remember since ch. 1

Aegina, Elbert, Adel the MVP here. actually everyone is. Somehow a lot of good hits were delivered in this chapter. heck, Daoud desperation hit 100% all the time iirc no matter how many backtrack, rewind load save, i did. he went nuts against enemy armor lieutenant. speaking of MVP, Marcel was good, unexpectedly so. With so  many dodge and counter, i was wondering if he's actually armor class. its also the perfect time to introduce Armor knight: a big Defense mission! now i just need a boots if theres one for him.

oyEPjfvdIp.jpg

yes, your fates is in my hand. no less than overwhelming victory is an acceptable fates

A very satisfying chapter. with mostly balanced but challenging fight, ample deployment slots, a bit of drama, and the story progress heavily building up from the foreshadow of previous chapters. this is how you should pace your story FE...

current chapter; Story 9/triumph, Gameplay 9/slaughter

Edited by joevar

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even if I've never seen it as that big of a deal.

I think if you were allowed to double even if the first hit misses, it would be a lot smoother.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It really seems like he SHOULD be vulnerable there..

Ikr. This is a Zelda game, they're supposed to be really polished.

Reminded me of Luigi's Mansion 3 where the rubber duck controls feel like they were designed by the intern who joined the company a week ago.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Berwick Saga Chapter 5: War... war never changes

This is it.. THIS IS IT @Saint Rubenio. yes, the time has come: this is the chapter where i truly, honestly, like both gameplay and story at the same, in the same degree. dunno what your time is now, hopefully you can sleep well today, knowing someone just praise berwick.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

I love when they just go full war with great numbers but not in dumb swarm ala FE6, chaotic battlefield, multi chokepoint, some defend objective thats not BS (more than one line of defense) and a bit of drama sprinkled on top. Oh, and War Theatre! about time they go back to it. No war stories will be complete without multi frontline status update that gives you sense of progression despite you (can) not participating. HEck, a lot of war-themed games forgot to present it in their cutscene properly.

Chapter 5-main is one of the most climatic maps in the game. In gameplay... well, I can't really speak for its gameplay quality because I think Berwick is consistently excellent haha, but still. It doesn't surprise me it's your favorite so far. No wonder it marks the first appearance of Clouds of War, the best map theme ever composed.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Everybody and their sons now equipped with shield. should be painful i thought, but somehow not really? since there are quite a number of NPC that acts as initial buffer. and their attention kinda divided too. Also stubborn a old villager guy that renders another old dude in the army near useless.

What I love about that citizen request is how the old guy keeps calling Ward a youngster and Ward clearly loves it. It's kind of adorable.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Some key moments:

Hide contents

54VhcA7agJ.jpg

you were almost, almost redeem yourself there.. but you just had to step back huh. To be fair, i actually agree to some extent with the corrupt advisor here. If the king go, theres a lot of ways things go even worse. I mean, last time Berwick Leagues' King go to war.. the king died horribly and half the territory lost not long after that, so theres already precedent LMAO

5s24gPI4La.jpg

at least this guy has the decency, alas you're not the chosen one. not this time dude.

CydGlJXVvk.jpg

this is battle of the century. A burglar calling the tresspasser a thief and proceed to kill each other to decide who can steal. this got me a good laugh amid the tensions.

WUR4i2MfjE.jpg

another close one. last turn, end up with a BANG. or rather a crippled enemy General.. when was the last time i crippled a boss, cant remember since ch. 1

Aegina, Elbert, Adel the MVP here. actually everyone is. Somehow a lot of good hits were delivered in this chapter. heck, Daoud desperation hit 100% all the time iirc no matter how many backtrack, rewind load save, i did. he went nuts against enemy armor lieutenant. speaking of MVP, Marcel was good, unexpectedly so. With so  many dodge and counter, i was wondering if he's actually armor class. its also the perfect time to introduce Armor knight: a big Defense mission! now i just need a boots if theres one for him.

oyEPjfvdIp.jpg

yes, your fates is in my hand. no less than overwhelming victory is an acceptable fates

Spoiler

Expecting anything good out of Volcyboy was your mistake.

Imagine if the owner of that house came back at that moment. He just returns to find two separate trespassers duking it out in his living room. Who does he help? Does he help? Maybe he just grabs his belongings and runs for the hills while they're distracted...

Lyarc has the hidden skill Weakness, which makes enemies a lot more susceptible to cripplings. I imagine it's intended as a sort of reward for making it to him in time. He makes for a lucrative ransom, and Erzheimer pays big bucks for his general shield.

There is no such thing as boots, sadly, but Marcel, funnily enough, gains a point of move by leveling up. Or, rather, he starts with a hidden skill called Slow. The only thing it does is substract one point of move from his base of 4. It goes away when he becomes level 15. Because Kaga despises armor knights.

1 hour ago, joevar said:

A very satisfying chapter. with mostly balanced but challenging fight, ample deployment slots, a bit of drama, and the story progress heavily building up from the foreshadow of previous chapters. this is how you should pace your story FE...

current chapter; Story 9/triumph, Gameplay 9/slaughter

I am truly glad you've enjoyed this map so much.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I think if you were allowed to double even if the first hit misses, it would be a lot smoother.

To be fair, you do get to do that... If the enemy also misses lol.

Basically, you want it to work more like Engage break. Which is fair. Engage break is awesome.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Ikr. This is a Zelda game, they're supposed to be really polished.

Reminded me of Luigi's Mansion 3 where the rubber duck controls feel like they were designed by the intern who joined the company a week ago.

Hahahaha! I remember those. I legit loved that boss fight, though. Weird is my middle name.

Link's Awakening is good (review)

Many years ago, I played Link's Awakening DX on the 3DS Virtual Console. I was very bad at it. A few years ago, a remake for the Switch came out and it is only now that I finally got around to it. I figured "what better way to reexperience a game than by playing it's remake". And yep, Link's Awakening is still pretty good.

For starters, the chibi clay aesthetic of the remake is absolutely phenomenal. Easily one of the most appealing art styles I've seen in a game. Everything pops and everything feels like it all flows in to each other. It's all like somebody's play set which is rather fitting.

Gameplay-wise, it's a pretty standard Zelda game. It is a bit easier than DX because you have more buttons to go around and you have a bigger field of view. The first four dungeons are all extremely basic, with basically no puzzle solving elements. Instead, it's mostly "beat enemies to progress" style. The latter four dungeons do incorporate more puzzle solving and I think the dungeon design in this half generally pops off. There are some neat ideas here, even if they are still simple by nature. The bosses are an absolute joke however.

While the world is merely a means to an end like in most Zelda games, this was one where the narrative feels like it's more than it's presented as. This game was Majora's Mask before Majora's Mask existed. You are presented with the moral question of: "is it ok to leave the island if it means everyone who lives there ceases to exist?" Of course the game was originally a GameBoy game so there's only one ending to this whole thing but the presentation of it all makes for a damn good effective ending (the music of the Face Shrine in particular is a highlight for me). I was able to do something I wasn't able to in DX, that is, beat the game without any game overs, and was able to get the extended ending, an ending that cements this game as one of the best Zelda games.

Of course, there's still some annoyances. There's a bit of "we won't tell you anything" game design in regards to the mandatory trade quest and stuff like the signpost maze, which is misleadingly designed. The telephone house occasionally gives you hints but there were times where I was like "what that's it" and I was reminded why I was constantly looking up walkthroughs as a kid in the first place. I still did that but way, way less frequently, owing to the fact that I'm much better at games now.

Link's Awakening is fantastic. A good game enhanced by it's ending (this is why endings are important).

9/10

Fine, I will say something:

Go play Osvald.

Eventually…

Now I'm imagining the cocaine chase scene but Osvald is struggling to exit through the bathroom door while Ochette dashes away with her coke.

Ochette finally found the third legend to save her home island.

....you know what's funny though? I've been browsing the Octopath subreddit, and they have been making Breaking Bad memes there as well... But with Castti instead. Maybe when I play her chapter I'll find out why.

With Castti as Walter? Well, uh, she’s the one who makes “healing concoctions” and her night ability literally just lets her drug people, but beyond that… no idea. Is there anything referenced by the jokes or just “haha Castti Breaking Bad”?

That can't be right, because I depleted Osvald's SP in every battle and in the next it was always, without fail, magically back to max.

That didn’t happen for Castti or Hikari outside of boss battles…

Nooooo that's not a good sign

It’s Fates

but it’s not funny this time

Just now, Sooks said:

Eventually…

But we have a deal. I will play Castti before the end of the day. And then I will be owed.

Just now, Sooks said:

Ochette finally found the third legend to save her home island.

Osvald is big enough to pass off as an Octopath boss lolololol

Just now, Sooks said:

With Castti as Walter? Well, uh, she’s the one who makes “healing concoctions” and her night ability literally just lets her drug people, but beyond that… no idea. Is there anything referenced by the jokes or just “haha Castti Breaking Bad”?

Probably just the latter, I mean...

Just now, Sooks said:

That didn’t happen for Castti or Hikari outside of boss battles…

...Huh? I could've sworn... Huh. Maybe when you play Osvald you can tell me?

Just now, Sooks said:

It’s Fates

GARON!?

Just now, Sooks said:

but it’s not funny this time

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT'S NOT GARON