Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Washington came first, but yes that’s what happens when you have a parent in the military. I’ve heard of worse from that actually.

My dad was also in the military. Not when I was born, he retired before then.

I should clarify he was in the Venezuelan Navy. I think he was a Lieutenant.

32 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Huh, how come it looks like people are camping out there?

"Recreational activities include walking and picnicking as well as a playground for children. Visitors are allowed to explore both sides of the Canada–United States border inside the park, but are warned not to cross the boundary of the park to enter the adjacent country without being cleared to enter by the respective customs authority, as violators are subject to prosecution"

There's also International Peace Garden on the border as well, specifically at the edge of North Dakota. Same rules apply although you have to pay to enter the park, it's one of those.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, I think I will get Stellaris now, taking advantage of the current sale.

Make sure to befriend the Worm. It loves us.

WHAT WAS, WILL BE;
WHAT WILL BE, WAS

Spoiler

Unfortunately, there's only a 5% chance of the Worm even existing in a given save file. It is very sad.

9 hours ago, Sooks said:

That does sound better, actually.

From the two seconds of it that's seen in Wonder, it doesn't seem to be quite the same. In 3 you snapped in the direction you pressed, while in Wonder it looks more like tank controls. Still, much less cumbersome swimming, so the principle is the same.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Read this

F45Fb-yWgAAEUqL?format=jpg&name=medium

F45Fb-rXAAA_b1s?format=jpg&name=medium

If the Wonder effects are unique to most courses, then it goes from being just a gimmick to a full-on game mechanic.

Okay, I know I don't often give Nintendo points, but I have to give Nintendo points here. A wonder flower in every single level is going to make this a much more interesting game.

Man has Gibraltar like a train ride away and hasn't gone.

Haven't you heard people who live in cities with big landmarks and yet have never bothered to go there for one reason or another? Same principle, I suppose.

All of this because when American and Canadians were drawing the border, they said "ehhh we'll draw it along here" without actually surveying the area. It'd be a hassle to change it now.

Frontiers: Never did lines on a map have such power.

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

They should've made Yoshi babysit Baby Mario for the authentic Yoshi's Island experience. I would've preferred if Yoshi wasn't easy mode, but it's better than him not being playable at all.

I mean, you can technically do that still. Just have an idle player ride along and protect them.

...Heck, since Mario would take damage, it would actually make Yoshi more interesting to play. There's an idea.

7 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

SMB Wonder looks exciting, I look forward to the Wario and Waluigi DLC to make things even weirder.

Oh God, not DLC in a mainline Mario game.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

TIL that Innes is named James in the European Spanish version. Outside Chinese using his Japanese name, that's like... the only language that deviates from his English name...

There's also Tirado, who was changed to Tatoh for obvious reasons. As for Innes, well... Inés is a female name, so perhaps that's why?

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

The Sparks of Hope Season Pass is currently $20. The Rayman expansion just came out. Now is the time.

@Saint Rubenio probably isn't gonna go cheaper than this.

I will consider it. I'll admit the DLC still hasn't really piqued my interest that much, and with Ubisoft being how it is, this is bound to go on sale again and again, anyway.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's also Tirado, who was changed to Tatoh for obvious reasons. As for Innes, well... Inés is a female name, so perhaps that's why?

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Of course Tirado would also get renamed. lol

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh God, not DLC in a mainline Mario game.

NSMB U Luigi moment

I'll admit the DLC still hasn't really piqued my interest that much, and with Ubisoft being how it is, this is bound to go on sale again and again, anyway.

I will report back with my findings.

There's also Tirado, who was changed to Tatoh for obvious reasons

Ok I'll ask: What's wrong with tirado? What's the slang cause as far as I know it just means thrown.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok I'll ask: What's wrong with tirado? What's the slang cause as far as I know it just means thrown.

I think it's just that. Not a word you'd use for a proper noun in your own language. It's like if you found someone named "Servilleta" and it's not a nickname.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think it's just that. Not a word you'd use for a proper noun in your own language. It's like if you found someone named "Servilleta" and it's not a nickname.

Oh ok. Makes sense.

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ok I'll ask: What's wrong with tirado? What's the slang cause as far as I know it just means thrown

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In Spain it's also slang for something that is really easy. If you say something "está tirado" it's basically the equivalent of saying it's "a piece of cake." Not a name you want to give to your first semi-important promoted boss lol

Cleared the first battle after the first route split ends. ...Despite running having played this game to completion twice this year, I forgot that Yuu's joining scenario isn't that one. The entire reason I played it this morning was thinking it was only one more battle to the fourth Brain.😆

Although, even with only three Brains obtained, they're doing well. Yuu will be nice for making a Brain-square wherein everyone gets two Hit & Evade friendship bonuses, plus Nanga's Command aura for the others to benefit from, but three is still better than none.

I will say that between...

• S-size & high Mobility. 
  • Antibody providing more Hit & Evade, a bit of extra attack, and some lategame range.
  • High movement with the added bonus of teleportation from Vital Jump, and A proficiency in water on both unit and weapons.
  • A universal barrier, Afterimage (albeit J’s nerfed version). 
  • Small HP & EN Regens. 
  • Everyone is friends with all the other Brain pilots for more Hit & Evade, and has Support Attack & Defend.
  • And, everyone has a combination attack with someone else (if restrained by J's forbiddance of Support Attacks when using a combination).

...The Brains are very flavorful units!😃

All of this is kept in-check by...

• The Brains being individually weak.
  • Tiny 110-120 EN tanks without upgrades, yet outside of their weak 6-ammo Missile Launchers, they need at least 10 EN per attack. Making the Brains surprisingly energy gluttons.
  • And they don't have sub-pilots, or MAPs, or the raw boss-slaying offense of Supers. But against grunts they've plenty of satisfactory firepower.
  • Also, they all look pretty similar with the same animations and have little flair, but that's got nothing to do with gameplay.😄

And while Yuu might lose out to Kira & Athrun eventually, and Eiji and Blade speaking of dodgy units, the Brains being basically identical means the series’s lesser pilots are better than the second-rates of other dodgy unit licenses in this SRW and others. The Sol Tekkamen (which I'm forcing myself to use this time) are probably going to be greatly inferior to Kant and Nakki Brains for instance.

Again, for a license's second and last appearance in SRW (Why only twice? -I'm sure that question or a similar one could be asked of many licenses.), Brain Powerd did really well from a gameplay perspective. Not busted like HPZ, which is almost the antithesis of BP in that it it is one big supremely powerful playable unit with only boss-type enemies (and source-wise dark compared to the rainbows BP turns into), but splendidly subtle nonetheless.

@Acacia Sgt Just asking, what is the cockpit like for the Brains/Grand Chers exactly? Since they're living beings able to act on their own, do they actually have control systems installed? Or do the pilots just make vocal commands to their Antibodies and the units carry them out? The dialogue spoke like the Brains have an enhanced cockpit module installed, but the Grand Chers don't bother with them. So like riding a horse with a saddle vs. on its bare back?

---

Two days straight of J has thoroughly drained me of the craving for it for now. I need with the start of the Starting Month of Significant Northern Hemispheric Light & Warmth Decline to start something new. Maybe Tri Strat after all, since I want something meaty and serious to sink into ...though part of my mind is also distracted by want for light & fluffy.😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Again, for a license's second and last appearance in SRW (Why only twice? -I'm sure that question or a similar one could be asked of many licenses.), Brain Powerd did really well from a gameplay perspective. Not busted like HPZ, which is almost the antithesis of BP in that it it is one big supremely powerful playable unit with only boss-type enemies (and source-wise dark compared to the rainbows BP turns into), but splendidly subtle nonetheless.

Yeah, it is odd. Still, it has it better than those who are still on their single appearance in SRW. At least the Brains are decent to good to use in their appearances. In Alpha 2 they benefit from the Squad System, as you can easily deploy them all as well over there.

Just asking, what is the cockpit like for the Brains/Grand Chers exactly? Since they're living beings able to act on their own, do they actually have control systems installed? Or do the pilots just make vocal commands to their Antibodies and the units carry them out? The dialogue spoke like the Brains have an enhanced cockpit module installed, but the Grand Chers don't bother with them. So like riding a horse with a saddle vs. on its bare back?

I think it depends. Various kinds are seen through the series, all ranging from having actual "buttons and levers" to just having the pilots touch some kind of plates. As it were, there is a kind of neural/telepathic connection between the antibody and pilot, from what I recall, which is what mainly makes it work, at least for combat.

Also, the cockpits are located... let's just say if the antibodies had wombs... uh huh...

Two days straight of J has thoroughly drained me of the craving for it for now. I need with the start of the Starting Month of Significant Northern Hemispheric Light & Warmth Decline to start something new. Maybe Tri Strat after all, since I want something meaty and serious to sink into ...though part of my mind is also distracted by want for light & fluffy.😆

Can I suggest again Another Eden?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I'm not gonna accuse them of pulling another Mario Royale, the concept of the bubble power-up is obvious enough that I can reasonably assume they also came up with it themselves / liked the idea and couldn't imagine any way to improve on it, but still. Everyone's praising Nintendo for their creativity here.

Snark aside though, the more I sit on them the more I like Wonder's power-ups. I was initially taken aback by their low number, compared to other Marios that have like seven or eight power-ups, but I love how multi-layered they all are. It's like they sacrificed sheer quantity to have more penguin suit-like powers, and that's probably for the best. People have also been bringing up that there's no flight power-up, which I also feel is probably for the best, those powers (especially the propeller suit) have a tendency to break everything.

I do wonder what happened to the star though. They brought up the fire flower in the direct, but the star is the other classic power that has almost always come back and it went unmentioned. No star? It would be a rather harmless ommision but I'd miss those sweet dopamine rushes.

Snark aside though, the more I sit on them the more I like Wonder's power-ups. I was initially taken aback by their low number, compared to other Marios that have like seven or eight power-ups, but I love how multi-layered they all are. It's like they sacrificed sheer quantity to have more penguin suit-like powers, and that's probably for the best.

F44znKaWwAAAAAU?format=png&name=medium

They specifically went out of their way to not include things that were in the other games to an extent.

I do wonder what happened to the star though. They brought up the fire flower in the direct, but the star is the other classic power that has almost always come back and it went unmentioned.

It's probably still there. There just wasn't neccisarily a need to mention it probably whereas the Fire Flower continues to get outclassed by everything so they went "hey guys it's till here"

Black bears living in urban environments are apparently skipping winter hibernation now. The steady supply of abundant food in the form of human garbage makes being awake during the winter viable, and it allows (sub)urban blackies to be 25% bigger than their rural counterparts. Thankfully, the bigger alway-awake bears living in our sprawling steel jungles might not bite us to death (they'll still maul us to our graves with their claws), humanity's love of sugary food means urban ursus are suffering from tooth decay.

What humanity hath unexpectedly wrought.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There just wasn't neccisarily a need to mention it probably whereas the Fire Flower continues to get outclassed by everything

I never really had that thought of that, but it is true that Fire Flower vs. Jump Enhancer (Leaf, Feather, Propeller, Acorn), I would pretty much always pick the later. Mario is platformer without hyphenated "action" in front, the enemies are always much less of a threat than the stages themselves. All the Fire Flower does is help against enemies, and even then being limited to bouncing along the ground and perhaps enemies needing more than one fireball or even being invincible, they aren't very useful.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Black bears living in urban environments are apparently skipping winter hibernation now. The steady supply of abundant food in the form of human garbage makes being awake during the winter viable, and it allows (sub)urban blackies to be 25% bigger than their rural counterparts. Thankfully, the bigger alway-awake bears living in our sprawling steel jungles might not bite us to death (they'll still maul us to our graves with their claws), humanity's love of sugary food means urban ursus are suffering from tooth decay.

Black bears are basically oversized dogs. 

plbfpl.gif

If not friend, why friend shaped?

Compared to grizzlies and polar bears, black bears seem to benefit the most from human "companionship".

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

never really had that thought of that, but it is true that Fire Flower vs. Jump Enhancer (Leaf, Feather, Propeller, Acorn), I would pretty much always pick the later. Mario is platformer without hyphenated "action" in front, the enemies are always much less of a threat than the stages themselves. All the Fire Flower does is help against enemies, and even then being limited to bouncing along the ground and perhaps enemies needing more than one fireball or even being invincible, they aren't very useful.

Not even that. In NSMB Wii/U, the Fire Flower is objectively an inferior version of the Ice Flower. NSMB 2 has the Gold Flower which admittedly only lasts for the level.

Now at least in this game the Fire Flower does have a faster-rate of fire than the Bubble Flower but it's still outclassed in terms of what it can do. It simply has no other purpose.