• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Man, wish I could knew the context, heh.

Like, okay, Gibdo mask means it's after curing Pamela's father, but then what exactly is he doing offering that potion. The one holding the cap gives me a chuckle, heh.

Wow, nothing like watching an old YouTube video and suddenly... bam, you find a comment you made 13 years ago...

Then again, I've been here on Serenes for longer than that. Wait... *checks* Oh, it's already over 14 years since August. Totally missed that, haha.

11 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Man, wish I could knew the context, heh.

Like, okay, Gibdo mask means it's after curing Pamela's father, but then what exactly is he doing offering that potion. The one holding the cap gives me a chuckle, heh.

It's above ground, probably b/c the music box house makes the location recognizable. But I believe alluding to the Beneath the Well stuff in MM (not to be confused with the undead well in OoT), the whole giving of gifts to gibdoes to unlock various doors that ultimately lead to the Mirror Shield. A blue potion is one of the items you need to offer (or a red).

Personally I don't think I ever did any of Ikana Canyon. Child me, like current me, was too much of a coward, and Ikana is peculiarly a death-themed region in a Zelda game with an overabundance of the enemies that OoT made me regard as nightmare fuel. There is an odd feeling like I might've somehow messed around in Ikana Castle, but then those could be false memories born from watching LPs.

What I do remember is seeing this.:

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Majora's

The full list and all the items you can find within the well itself (though not everything you need).

I remember being so confused as to where to find a big poe. 

I started wandering around but eventually I stumbled upon the one behind the gibdo that wanted ten bombs. I still don’t know where else in the game to find one

The area is certainly... something, I'd say. Seems to have some fascinating history going on there. Specially at the temple. Perhaps one big mystery are those floating blocks since they have the Triforce carved on their undersides. You know, as in, Triforce symbology in Termina, not Hyrule. Or they used to have, since apparently the 3DS version took them out. Why? Who knows...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

RFEE01_2023-09-03_20-58-12.png

The Astrid blitz herself! One of my strongest units in the last game!

Just to leave room for new units I probably wont use her, but much respect.

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-00-21.png

Gay rights

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-02-22.png

Alright, so like, I don't the writers were being particularly malicious or racist when making this character, I could totally see them just trying to make another simplistic thinking himbo character who happens to also be the first black character in Fire Emblem...

...But the thing about tokenism is that it's not about how a minority character is represented as much as it is about if they are the only minority character represented, and having the only black character here be a simple minded, half English speaking guy who was in slavery, (Though they didn't call it slavery even despite them being fine with the term for other characters) is a bit uncomfortable.

Also I think this specific portrayal is a common stereotype of African men in Japan? I may be misremembering that.

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-03-22.png

Oh well if it's a different character than I guess it's okay

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-05-11.png

e4ad6fe7b35aab39cd58f0ef01b3bbee.png

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-09-07.png

Who does she think she is, a Fates protagonist?

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-09-28.png

Shout out to Lance Pal and Blade Pal, truly the best of totally not gay guy pals

Makalov was flirting with Geoffrey earlier so this comparison is perfect

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Did you remember?

Yes thankfully.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Gay rights

Gotta be on the boss' good side whenever they salary review.

Alright, so like, I don't the writers were being particularly malicious or racist when making this character, I could totally see them just trying to make another simplistic thinking himbo character who happens to also be the first black character in Fire Emblem...

...But the thing about tokenism is that it's not about how a minority character is represented as much as it is about if they are the only minority character represented, and having the only black character here be a simple minded, half English speaking guy who was in slavery, (Though they didn't call it slavery even despite them being fine with the term for other characters) is a bit uncomfortable.

Also I think this specific portrayal is a common stereotype of African men in Japan? I may be misremembering that.

I mean, isn't there also Fiora?

See? That's three black people now!

RFEE01_2023-09-03_21-05-11.png

e4ad6fe7b35aab39cd58f0ef01b3bbee.png

Reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.

Don't worry, Ludveck is too much of a coward, he's playing on Casual.

Shout out to Lance Pal and Blade Pal, truly the best of totally not gay guy pals

Oh my God, they were Pals!

Yes thankfully.

That old lullaby?

1 minute ago, GuardianSing said:

Gay rights

You know, the canon relationship he has with Astrid makes me question him as a gay icon, but I guess he could be bi...he is still an asshole though.

I am a bit suprised we didn't get a talk like this about the token lesbian already, but I guess Danved/Devdan is way worse.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

The Story of Little Black Sambo (in particular later version that depict the Indian main character as a racist's depiction of an African child) became a beloved book in Japan, and is where a lot people in Japan, who have never met a black person, main ideas of a black person come from. Its also why we have things like the original designs of characters like Mr. Popo, and Jynx, as the illustrations of those version of Little Black Sambo became iconic in the region.

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

...he definitely isn't a different character, but pretending he is, is his main gimmick.

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Fun fact, you do get Bonus Exp for every enemy you leave alive on the map.

12 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

he is still an asshole though.

I wouldn't go that far. That'd imply he has an attitude to me, and Makalov doesn't.

This said, speaking of that "unlikable characters" topic that popped up, I like Makalov. Not as a person, but for what he is. An IRL army consists of thousands of people, a few will with such numbers, unfortunately, be: arrogant, or racist, or petty thieves, or drunkards, a variety of relatively minor character flaws. Makalov adds a touch of realistic imperfection to Tellius's roster, and only that of a gambler and a drinker who in RD admits he's ain't good. His are petty crimes you could see many "normal" soldiers committing, Makalov isn't a murderer, or ravisher, or civilian abuser, rarer more serious things that would make his inclusion very difficult to tolerate.

25 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wouldn't go that far. That'd imply he has an attitude to me, and Makalov doesn't.

This said, speaking of that "unlikable characters" topic that popped up, I like Makalov. Not as a person, but for what he is. An IRL army consists of thousands of people, a few will with such numbers, unfortunately, be: arrogant, or racist, or petty thieves, or drunkards, a variety of relatively minor character flaws. Makalov adds a touch of realistic imperfection to Tellius's roster, and only that of a gambler and a drinker who in RD admits he's ain't good. His are petty crimes you could see many "normal" soldiers committing, Makalov isn't a murderer, or ravisher, or civilian abuser, rarer more serious things that would make his inclusion very difficult to tolerate.

The way he pushes the consequences of his action onto other people is what makes him an asshole to me.

1 hour ago, GuardianSing said:

Probably for the better, Astrid is incredibly bad in Radiant Dawn.

Small, but significant tip: Once you can manage skills, you can take Paragon off of her and/or Geoff, which will give you the appropriate skill scroll, and give it to somebody that you do want to use. Unlike PoR, RD allows you to swap skills around as much as you like, with the only disadvantage being that unlike innate skills (like Paragon on Astrid), assigned skills cost skill capacity like all skills did in PoR.

I haven't played RD in a long time, so I don't remember when it allows you to reassign skills, though, so maybe this'll have to wait for a bit.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, calling Fiona an actual, full-fletched character is being generous.

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm curious @Shrimpy -Limited Edition-, did you stick with BotW's German dub or did you change it?

English

Any nerd stuff i do in English.

Even in the rare case i do them in German, my mind auto-translates them into English.

It do be like that when i have been doing it that way for ~20 years xD

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Do you planning on hacking the classes in, or will we actually have to think about class availability?

I plan to use the save editor to change the classes - so no need to think about class availability.

There will be limits ofc, for example in the early to mid game Felicia has to be a promoted staff user. And Units generally have to be in the same "class tier"

11 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

That is actually hilarious

I completely encourage it, and if you do it, send pictures.

Heh, will do, if we get around to it.

11 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

That one's great, purple is unfortunately a rare color in flags.

Purple's a nice color.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

dawg they want half the country. The origins of all this:

"Venezuela argued that Spain–whose territory they had acquired–controlled land from the Orinoco River to the Amazon River in present-day Brazil. Spain, according to Venezuela, only designated its claimed Guiana territory to the Dutch, which did not include much land within the disputed territory. Meanwhile, Britain, who had acquired the Dutch territory, stated that the disputed Guiana region was not Spanish because it was so remote and uncontrolled, explaining that the original natives in the land had shared the territory's land with the Dutch instead of the Spanish and were thus under Dutch and British influence"

This continues even after Guayana gained it's independence.

This is true, present day Guayana is one of the two South American countries that are not "Latin America", the other one being Suriname. Also, French Guiana is basically just France's Alaska. It's part of the EU despite being on a completely different continent because it's legally France. James Monroe is rolling in his grave.

Countries are such a weird thing.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

_L0A2952.jpg?w=1084.125&h=721.875

The oldest living bald cypress tree in the US has been dated as having been alive back in at least 605 BC, 55 years before the Achaemenid Empire was founded, almost two centuries before Plato the Greek philosopher was born. Astounding their longevity.

That's a fucking awesome landscape.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

AIL4fc_zf1qEGspr9XrwpdnlvqrzJ15n17BYoeBo

Hah. Feeling cheeky today, aren't we.

Lol, that sounds like a funny little change to make.

Doesn't it. My dad was inspired that day.

Do you planning on hacking the classes in, or will we actually have to think about class availability?

Yeah, I hadn't thought about that, unless he hacks there's no way his economy can sustain constant class changes lol

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

RFEE01_2023-09-03_20-58-12.png

I used her. She wasn't ovepowered, which was a good thing. This game has too many broken, unfun units.

Gay rights

Pictured: The first person to ever see Makalov and not react with vitriol.

Yeaaah I believe I had mentioned, eons ago, wanting to know your opinion on a certain character from Tellius, and... well, yeah, it's Danved. Or Devdan, whicever you like best.

It's kind of sad that they felt the need to put animal ears on white people for their racism allegory, and then turned around and made the first black man in FE into a complete caricature. Unless you want to count Garrett and Igrene.

Geoffrey x Makalov is not a ship I expected to ever see.

...But fuck it, I support it. Geoffrey might actually be able to whip Makalov into a decent person.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Fiora's a lot less... questionable, but Devdan still came first, all jokes aside. For a time he was the only black man in FE, and in the game with racism allegories in it too. Again, unless you want to count Garrett and Igrene. Which I endorse, because Igrene would be so, so much better as FE's first PoC character than fucking Devdan lol

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I plan to use the save editor to change the classes - so no need to think about class availability.

Ah, good, good.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

There will be limits ofc, for example in the early to mid game Felicia has to be a promoted staff user. And Units generally have to be in the same "class tier"

So much for the land of freedom.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Personally I don't think I ever did any of Ikana Canyon. Child me, like current me, was too much of a coward, and Ikana is peculiarly a death-themed region in a Zelda game with an overabundance of the enemies that OoT made me regard as nightmare fuel. There is an odd feeling like I might've somehow messed around in Ikana Castle, but then those could be false memories born from watching LPs.

What I do remember is seeing this.:

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Majora's

The full list and all the items you can find within the well itself (though not everything you need).

I am just now finding out where the fairy fountain was in Ikana.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

The area is certainly... something, I'd say. Seems to have some fascinating history going on there. Specially at the temple. Perhaps one big mystery are those floating blocks since they have the Triforce carved on their undersides. You know, as in, Triforce symbology in Termina, not Hyrule. Or they used to have, since apparently the 3DS version took them out. Why? Who knows...

Yeah I remember the theory was that the Triforce being depicted on tongues and the whole Tower of Babel aspect of Stone Tower was the ancient Terminians blaspheming against the Goddesses.

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

English

Any nerd stuff i do in English.

Even in the rare case i do them in German, my mind auto-translates them into English.

It do be like that when i have been doing it that way for ~20 years xD

Honestly, I can relate. I tried doing the LATAM dub but, in part because you can't change the subtitles, my mind was being torn apart by hearing Spanish but reading English. Especially because it obviously doesn't line up (grammar and whatnot).

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Again, unless you want to count Garrett and Igrene.

I mean, I'm not sure why they wouldn't count.

@Lightchao42 bro Godzilla might actually be evil in this one. The second time that's ever happened.

12 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

They must have hired clowns to translate the text, because that's a joke! XD

Bro you made four posts about this back to back. It's not that deep.