• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Olivier doesn't count because he's the best damn character in the place

Well, you ain't wrong there.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Reboot Camp never stood a chance. If Pikmin wasn't competing, Engage would probably have won by default, as divisive as it is, just because its brand name is better known. The Game Awards are a popularity contest, and Reboot Camp made very little impact, I'm afraid.

I suppose that's true.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Don't worry, you still haven't played Trails in the Sky SC yet despite the previous game ending on a cliffhanger, so you might not be tempted to start Xenoblade 3 immediately.

Well, it fluctuates whether I play a series sequentially or put other games between them.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I saw a comment in the Engage Hate thread at the subreddit pointing out that the Switch era of FE is actually following the exact same structure as the 3DS era.

1. First game defies all expectations, sells like cupcakes and becomes the most popular game in the series bar none.

2. Second game kicks its sorry behind to the stratosphere in terms of gameplay, but is generally derided for having bad story. Fire Emblem fans truly want visual novels, so this is enough to make it vastly more unpopular.

3. Remake. Probably will be "too faithful" and go by without much fanfare.

We basically know that FE4 is coming, so... Yeah, accurate. It's the exact same process. Which means on top of passing on FE4, I can safely pass on the first FE that comes out in the next console generation. Hurray.

Interesting comparison.

Funny how for a video game, it's not the gameplay that matter apparently. Well, not that it has truly mattered for a long time in general anyway.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

tbg

Leafy boy in Engage should've given weapon ranks to all weapons

Well, that's because Emblems grant Weapon Proficiencies instead. Which Lief does give all... save Tomes and Brawl, for some reason. Well, Brawl since even that wasn't a thing back then, but not sure why Tomes are also out.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, that's because Emblems grant Weapon Proficiencies instead. Which Lief does give all... save Tomes and Brawl, for some reason. Well, Brawl since even that wasn't a thing back then, but not sure why Tomes are also out.

There one Emblem that actually grants weapon ranks -  Miccy, she gives staff Rank

Leady boi could've had a similar skill, but with all weapons instead, to call back on the Master Knight thing

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

There one Emblem that actually grants weapon ranks -  Miccy, she gives staff Rank

Leady boi could've had a similar skill, but with all weapons instead, to call back on the Master Knight thing

Perhaps it was considered too much. So they kept it to the Proficiencies instead. After all, no other Emblem grants Weapons Ranks. I wonder if Staffs still having uses had to do with being the ones chosen to be granted through Emblem use.

Okay, I've decided. I will hold on until the Steam Winter sale. If I don't get anything there, then I'll do buy something on the Switch... whether that's Xeno 3 or something else.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yep, the predictable result all around.

What wasn't predictable was how low-key disrespectful TGA was this year. Award recipients get like 30 seconds before they're told to "please wrap it up". They even told mf'ing Aounuma that, as his speech was being translated because he doesn't speak English.

Oh but Kojima gets like 10 minutes (none of his games came out this year). And Anthoney Mackie (not a game developer btw) also get like 10 minutes.

Even the devs behind Baldur's Gate, when they were dedicating their speech to a coworker who passed away during development, they still got prompted to "please wrap it up".

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Relatedly, I've seen people say that Minus One is the first time they rooted against Godzilla. I'd say it certainly made him menacing.

The final act. Peak cinema.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Especially impressive since it didn't get any advertising, at least from what I saw, though I heard word-of-mouth was unexpectedly good.

Yeah, Toho is extending the screenings by at least a week in North America while also opening up more screenings across Europe in the coming days.

One thing is for sure, MinusGoji will be the face of Godzilla for years to come. Shin's time is done.

Haha, indies having a chance at the Game Awards.

I mean It Takes Two did win GOTY 2021. Defeating the Red Dead Sweep. Stray was also nominated for GOTY last year.

This year we had Dave the Diver in Best Indie, despite not being Indie at all.

Edited by Armagon

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Considering most FE games before that point are easy, i don't think that's really the case. 

Even 776, which most say is "way more difficult", is easy af.

I mean, 776 is pretty difficult if you don't follow a guide. It constantly kicks you in the nuts when you least expect it. It's when you know your way around the game and how easily it can be broken that it becomes easy.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Either way, the dumb Fatigue mechanic is crippling to those that like to play the game using their favorites (system abuse not withstanding)

All you need to do is spend a few rounds in the chapter 9 arena and buy a surplus of stamina drinks. Plus, benching a unit for a single chapter is not going to render them unusable in a game with stat progression as minimal as Thracia's. It's a much more inconsequential mechanic than most people imply.

59 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Nah, that was FE6 back then

Oi.

49 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

I petition for new FE games to bring back Master Knight, and it needs to be as insane as it always was.

Screw that, what I want is more Sierras.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What wasn't predictable was how low-key disrespectful TGA was this year. Award recipients get like 30 seconds before they're told to "please wrap it up". They even told mf'ing Aounuma that, as his speech was being translated because he doesn't speak English.

Even the devs behind Baldur's Gate, when they were dedicating their speech to a coworker who passed away during development, they still got prompted to "please wrap it up".

Of course, who cares what the developers of the games that are winning the awards have to say? They already made the product, they no longer matter! Gotta focus on the things that make money now!

Oh but Kojima gets like 10 minutes (none of his games came out this year). And Anthoney Mackie (not a game developer btw) also get like 10 minutes.

Who the fuck even is Anthoney Mackie?

...A fucking Hollywood actor? The Game Awards are a damned joke.

I mean It Takes Two did win GOTY 2021. Defeating the Red Dead Sweep.

Hence why small indies are no longer allowed outside of their pity category. Can't let the little guys beat our big names, or else they might give us less money!

I suppose Berwick Saga didn't actually have an equivalent of the Master Knight. Unlike Tear Ring Saga.
Black Knights, Dark Knights, Swordfighters, Gigas Knights and Assassins do very much fit the role of enemy elite troops, at least.
Imperial Paladins do also exist, but they are quite underused.

It's back in Vestaria Saga, but I think it's Cromwell's personal class there. And as a guest unit, he is limited to his starting inventory. So he doesn't get to take advantage of the weapon ranks.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

mean, 776 is pretty difficult if you don't follow a guide.

I mean..... that's kinda the problem isn't it? I shouldn't need a guide to not get my ass kicked.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Who the fuck even is Anthoney Mackie?

...A fucking Hollywood actor? The Game Awards are a damned joke.

He was there because of the Twisted Metal TV Show. Which didn't win. Best Adaptation instead went to The Last of Us, because of course it did. It was not a coincidence that they announce Best Adaptation would be a category the same year that The Last of Us was confirmed to get a TV show.

So he at least had a reason to be there. Unlike the guy from Wonka but I think he didn't talk for too long.

8 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose Berwick Saga didn't actually have an equivalent of the Master Knight. Unlike Tear Ring Saga.
Black Knights, Dark Knights, Swordfighters, Gigas Knights and Assassins do very much fit the role of enemy elite troops, at least.
Imperial Paladins do also exist, but they are quite underused.

It's back in Vestaria Saga, but I think it's Cromwell's personal class there. And as a guest unit, he is limited to his starting inventory. So he doesn't get to take advantage of the weapon ranks.

I'll find out in due time, when I get the man himself.

mean..... that's kinda the problem isn't it? I shouldn't need a guide to not get my ass kicked.

I'm not saying it's a good thing, it's just saying it is a thing. More FE fans have been repeating that "Thracia is actually really easy" line without considering it's only easy when you know the dickmoves ahead of time.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He was there because of the Twisted Metal TV Show. Which didn't win. Best Adaptation instead went to The Last of Us, because of course it did. It was not a coincidence that they announce Best Adaptation would be a category the same year that The Last of Us was confirmed to get a TV show.

So he at least had a reason to be there. Unlike the guy from Wonka but I think he didn't talk for too long

Even so, that's just crappy. He's an actor, what could he even be talking about that was so much more interesting than what actual devs had to say?

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I mean..... that's kinda the problem isn't it? I shouldn't need a guide to not get my ass kicked.

Only in the sense that this helps finding all kinds of powerful tools.

It's not like New Mystery and Awakening where you have to look up the enemy spawns on every map, or else they will kill you before you get any chance to react.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll find out in due time, when I get the man himself.

I love how the 2 Gotohs of Vestaria Saga are 1 guy in an overpowered uber-class at max level and a generic low level griffon rider without her mount.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Even so, that's just crappy. He's an actor, what could he even be talking about that was so much more interesting than what actual devs had to say?

Best Adaptation is just an unnecessary category in general. It's like if the Oscars had a Best Adaptation category for which movie got the best novelization.

Again, they only made it so that they could suck Neil Cuckmann's dick again.

10 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I call bullshit.

tp86Od8.png

I LOVE 14X REINFORCEMENTS I LOVE 14X REINFORCEMENTS I LO-

42 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Youtube when people like YouTubers more than Jimmy Fallon.

Its so over. 

50 minutes ago, ping said:

I like playing fire emblem.

No you don't.

mean, 776 is pretty difficult if you don't follow a guide. It constantly kicks you in the nuts when you least expect it. It's when you know your way around the game and how easily it can be broken that it becomes easy.

Too many Thracia fans have a habit of calling it easy. Stop trying to traumatize the poor new fans by tricking them into submitting to Kaga's CBT sessions. It's a brutal experience that can be cheesed once you realize Kaga also has nuts you can torture back, but you can't exactly just escape his dungeon without knowing the pass codes to open his locked doors ahead of time. 

For a comparison to normal modes, its indeed one of the hardest in the series. For the few players that actually play lunatics, yeah enemies are scrubs, use Marty.

All you need to do is spend a few rounds in the chapter 9 arena and buy a surplus of stamina drinks. Plus, benching a unit for a single chapter is not going to render them unusable in a game with stat progression as minimal as Thracia's. It's a much more inconsequential mechanic than most people imply.

I really like the idea of the stamina system and how I have to think about who to use and when I think I'll need them most, and I like the excuse to use a larger roster of based obscure nobodies, but again this is horrifying for blind players. No one wants to realize they can't beat 12x because healer girl is fatigued and no one else can use warp, or God forbid you fatigued Mareeta and now you can't recruit Galzus. Sure, I reckon new players will naturally horde stamina potions like hell, but that's its own problem. You'll be too mortified to use them because you don't know when you'll NEED them. And in a game like Thracia, you kinda do NEED certain units on certain chapters. Heck, Linoan only gets one chapter to promote in. Imagine her being fatigued for that. Unlucky. 

I doubt anyone will be thrilled upon being told "just arena grind". That's arguably cheating, given many would likely use save states for that. Like, you just can't play normally and safely use units without the fear of stamina screwing you over against the unexpected.