Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yandere, huh?

Yet another trope that needs to die.

Actually, I think the trope has its merits.
An antagonistic character with "if I can't have you, no one can" as a motivation is simple, but effective (say for example, the character is a shunned childhood friend, whose affection for the protagonist gets corrupted in some way (for example, protagonist falls in love with a different character, and the childhood gets "eaten" by jealousy) - Boom! Instant antagonist. That easy!).
Same with the philanderer stuff, really. If you play it for what it is (that is, what happens when love gets twisted and becomes a negative thing), I think you can make good antagonists with it.
It's when you try and portray it as a good thing that it becomes a problem. At least that's my (unqualified) take.

Edited by DragonFlames

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Going down to Picnic difficulty in Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 difficulty really is one hell of a drop.
I can kill even F.O.E.s just by spamming attack (still need to be careful, though, since they do pack quite a punch). At least this makes getting some levels much easier.

Although the difference in difficulties can vary from game to game, these are the numbers for Untold 2. Standard is taken as the "normal" difficulty which the numbers of Picnic and Expert are relative to.:

• Damage Dealt to Enemies: Picnic 300% Standard 100% Expert 66%
  • Damage Taken from Enemies: Picnic 25% Standard 100% Expert 166%
  • Health Healed to Allies: Picnic 300% Standard 100% Expert 100%

Meaning on Picnic, you hurt and heal triple that of Standard and suffer a quarter of the damage.

For Untold 1, the Standard vs. Expert numbers are the same, but Picnic's numbers are a less cray cray 133% 33% 150% for the above three values.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

:headbangingcat:

Just now, DragonFlames said:

An antagonistic character with "if I can't have you, no one can" as a motivation is simple, but effective (say for example, the character is a shunned childhood friend, whose affection for the protagonist gets corrupted in some way and they become an antagonist through this).
Same with the philanderer stuff, really. If you play it for what it is (that is, what happens when love gets twisted and becomes a negative thing), I think you can make good antagonists with it.
It's when you try and portray it as a good thing that it becomes a problem. At least that's my (unqualified) take.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although the difference in difficulties can vary from game to game, these are the numbers for Untold 2. Standard is taken as the "normal" difficulty which the numbers of Picnic and Expert are relative to.:

• Damage Dealt to Enemies: Picnic 300% Standard 100% Expert 66%
  • Damage Taken from Enemies: Picnic 25% Standard 100% Expert 166%
  • Health Healed to Allies: Picnic 300% Standard 100% Expert 100%

Meaning on Picnic, you hurt and heal triple that of Standard and suffer a quarter of the damage.

For Untold 1, the Standard vs. Expert numbers are the same, but Picnic's numbers are a less cray cray 133% 33% 150% for the above three values.

I see, I see! That's some interesting stuff (and would explain why my Hexer can suddenly one-shot enemies with a standard attack).
But then I have to wonder... Why was my first playthrough of Untold 2 on Picnic still really hard for me? XD

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Thank you! ^^

8 hours ago, Benice said:

Wait-WHAT?! HUBERT JUST AMBUSHED SPAWNED ME AND KILLED FOUR OF MY UNITS IN THE BERNIE/PETRA PARALOGUE! ANGER!

Now you feel true pain.

Honestly though, the ambush spawn isn't the worst part of that map. It's the fact that the game lies to you.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

An antagonistic character with "if I can't have you, no one can" as a motivation is simple, but effective (say for example, the character is a shunned childhood friend, whose affection for the protagonist gets corrupted in some way and they become an antagonist through this).

Philanderer characters at least feel more reasonable because some people are just horny and when it's presented as just an aspect of their character, it can make for some pretty fun gags. Like Brock in Pokemon.

Yanderes are harder to do right because they always go down the violent path real quick. A philanderer character can be likable, but it's hard to say the same for a yandere.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Philanderer characters at least feel more reasonable because some people are just horny and when it's presented as just an aspect of their character, it can make for some pretty fun gags. Like Brock in Pokemon.

That stuff was actually the reason I started hating Brock, ngl. Because it just stopped being funny... or endearing.
The only philanderer character that ever managed to be funny to me was Ringabel from Bravely Default (and even then, that part of his character irks me). Otherwise, I've always disliked that archetype, and if a character falls into that mold, they have immediately lost points with me.

Edited by DragonFlames

21 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Well, in FE at least.

Only because FE almost never seems to get stuff done right

It's an exception in FE to have a good story & characters, not the norm

Edited by Shrimperor

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

That stuff was actually the reason I started hating Brock, ngl. Because it just stopped being funny... or endearing.

Hey I agree with this! Although Brock had some really awesome moments in the beggining to make up for it as well. Not just to be made fun of all the time.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

lol
XD

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Hey I agree with this! Although Brock had some really awesome moments in the beggining to make up for it as well. Not just to be made fun of all the time.

He did!
But then they flanderized him to be a complete idiot, sadly.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

He did!
But then they flanderized him to be a complete idiot, sadly.

He had heart, like telling Ash he raised Butterfree to have alot of courage, and showing some himself in the process. that's just heart warming!

2nd place in Mario 35...

Yay? It feels worse then getting 5th or tenth place because i was so close xD

But then again in the end there was too much going on and i kept spending coins xD

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tellius in particular is one of the few amazing exceptions to that.

Yup!

If only Blood Pact wasn't a thing

I would say 3H and Jugdral gen 1 as well...

before Jugdral gen 2 goes full evul duragon modo

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

He had heart, like telling Ash he raised Butterfree to have alot of courage, and showing some himself in the process. that's just heart warming!

True, it was!
*sigh*
Back before Pokémon went to hell and never came back... those were the days...

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Tellius in particular is one of the few amazing exceptions to that.

Indeed!
Three Houses and Echoes I'd say are great, too.

Just now, DragonFlames said:

True, it was!
*sigh*
Back before Pokémon went to hell and never came back... those were the days...

Haha, yeah. Then the Johto Journeys series kinda killed it to me.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Haha, yeah. Then the Johto Journeys series kinda killed it to me.

Yeah, Johto wasn't great. Like... at all...
I stopped watching the anime entirely during the Diamond and Pearl arc. That was around the time my interest in Pokémon started waning in general.
Gen 4 in general was a dud, ngl.

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Indeed!
Three Houses and Echoes I'd say are great, too.

Agreed. Both 3H and Echoes (what I played of it, that is) had very interesting narratives, with great characters, imo.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Yeah, Johto wasn't great. Like... at all...
I stopped watching the anime entirely during the Diamond and Pearl arc. That was around the time my interest in Pokémon started waning in general.
Gen 4 in general was a dud, ngl.

Haha, considering soooon many people consider the D/P/PT era to be godly! I agree with you though.

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It's an exception in FE to have a good story & characters, not the norm

Well I expect good characters from FE but good story? Lol.