• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you had already seen this @Acacia Sgt, since the game is more than two decades old.:

2560px-Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg

Quite the controller, for a one mech game. Bumped into an article about the game's design and development from half-a-year ago.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

why insect tho

*Checks scientific classification*

Royal aquatic arthropod. All insects and crustaceans are arthropods and below that they are pancrustaceans, but they scientifically branch off after that. Common use of the word "insect" be darned.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh dear...

It felt like I learned something at first? I didn't run into one of the issues I did on the first attempt- dealing with 3 or 4 crossbows and I think the Killer Axe guy just east of the easternmost range of the wyvern pack. I exposed Aegina to too much (I need one mage to kill General Disheveled Beard), and either she or Marcel continually got murdered by them (and I think Sylvis was low on HP too). The first few turns go by quickly and easily, and the initial little snags whatever they be don't seem insurmountable. But, as things progress.

If Berwick were an action game, I'd move on because I know my reflexes tend towards being worse than that of a dead squirrel. But an SRPG? No reflexes involved, purely a matter of knowledge, wisdom, and luck. I feel more inclined to ram into a wall until I get through it, as frustrating a process as it may be.

Pirate Papa isn't the best fighter, to be sure, and his utility stops being as needed as the game goes. But we love him anyway, because he's the coolest dad.

It all comes down to a lack of accuracy with him. Pulverize gives him plenty of offense, but with Dean having the Str, the Axe, and the Hit, Axel finds it hard to compete.

This said, as a Searcher, Axel is definitely the best -for a rookie that is. Outside of chest utility, I feel like the two thieves are among the very worst units in Berwick for a newbie. When Axel hits, it'll be much more than 1-2 damage, and low Def he might have, but he has enough HP at least to practically always avoid being OHKO'ed. If you want the sparkly items strewn on a map, Axel sacrifices the least offense. -Now for a Berwick expert, knowing how to properly utilize Czene/Thaddy and work around the decrease in deployed raw strength, could be worth it for a few captures that -regardless of whether you're going for rankings- gives you a couple extra nice pieces of gear. 

-I can understand the game, but it doesn't mean I can play it well enough.🤨 -Although I'm not sure if I should use that language when I've 34(?) of its maps behind me.

And yeah, as a character? Not bad at all. -I mean a lot of memories of what the characters are like have faded for me.😅 But his lingering impression is quite a good one whereas the spear knights, Sherlock, and Daoud can be summarized in my mind as who?.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if you had already seen this @Acacia Sgt, since the game is more than two decades old.:

2560px-Steel_Battalion_controllers.jpg

Quite the controller, for a one mech game. Bumped into an article about the game's design and development from half-a-year ago.

Oh, no, this is the first I'm seeing this.

Still, that's very fascinating. They should do something like this again with a mecha game, heh. Heck incorporate microphone support too. Let me yell "ROCKETTO PUNCH" and have Mazinger Z actually do the attack!

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Heck incorporate microphone support too. Let me yell "ROCKETTO PUNCH" and have Mazinger Z actually do the attack!

"There's also a manga called The Five Star Stories that features scenes in which a person controls a robot by communicating with a humanoid computer. I wanted to do something like that, make certain commands voice-activated. So you could say something like, 'Search for hostiles!', while performing other actions with the controller."

-The director had wanted that himself, in the above article.

Right before this, Kouno also stated he wanted the eject button to be encased in breakable glass -but smashing glass isn't consumer-safety.

Another line from the link.:

"One thing I wanted was a smooth shift lever, not a gear system. If you look at Japanese robot anime, there are these scenes where the pilot engages the Vernier thrusters or the afterburner by pushing on the lever like this, gweeeeee. <moves hand, smooth motion> I'm disappointed that we couldn't do that. In Steel Battalion, the lever goes ka-ka-ka-ka. <stilted movement>"

As for a screenshot of Steel Battalion.:

steel-battalion.large.jpg

Gotta go all-in on the HUD (or as much as you could on the original Xbox), would be a travesty not to with that controller.

The game would also delete your data if you died ingame (so EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!), quite the uncompromising ambitious vision.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"There's also a manga called The Five Star Stories that features scenes in which a person controls a robot by communicating with a humanoid computer. I wanted to do something like that, make certain commands voice-activated. So you could say something like, 'Search for hostiles!', while performing other actions with the controller."

-The director had wanted that himself, in the above article.

Oh, The Five Star Stories, heard of that one. Mostly for the (now debunked) rumors about one of its mechs being used accidentally in SRW. Turns out, the confusion came mostly from the fans. The mech in question was from L-Gaim, but likely due to the SD style, it was confused for a TFSS one, and then people thought the maker of TFSS got mad about it since it was "used" without his consent.

Right before this, Kouno also stated he wanted the eject button to be encased in breakable glass -but smashing glass isn't consumer-safety.

Not to mention... that would only work once.

Another line from the link.:

"One thing I wanted was a smooth shift lever, not a gear system. If you look at Japanese robot anime, there are these scenes where the pilot engages the Vernier thrusters or the afterburner by pushing on the lever like this, gweeeeee. <moves hand, smooth motion> I'm disappointed that we couldn't do that. In Steel Battalion, the lever goes ka-ka-ka-ka. <stilted movement>"

Oh, I get what he means. Yeah, would make it feel more like you're using a car, not a mech. XD

As for a screenshot of Steel Battalion.:

steel-battalion.large.jpg

Gotta go all-in on the HUD (or as much as you could on the original Xbox), would be a travesty not to with that controller.

Plus, it would be immersive!

The game would also delete your data if you died ingame (so EJECT! EJECT! EJECT!), quite the uncompromising ambitious vision.

Reminds me of all those anti-piracy methods in games that would delete your data as a last resort.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:22 PM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Playing non-FE games always makes me feel like FE should for once stop being so safe and do a non-medieval game. I really feel the setting is holding FE back quite a bit.

First off, calling them medieval is like calling both WW2 games, and Cyber Punk games based on modern times. Second, I like that they are still melee focused, as there are plenty of gun based tactic games around, and the tactics of those weapons make things very different. Unless they do something like Dune where force shields have made melee weapons relevant to war again, I would prefer they keep it in the vaguely fantasy past.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:28 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

"Can we have FE on Mars?"

"We have FE on Mars at home."

FE on Mars at home:

Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars - Game Boy Advance | VideoGameX

I do have a real soft spot for The Fist of Mars. It is nothing like the other Zone of Enders (which are great, and I consider them the best way to feel like you are playing a Mecha Anime), but a fun little tactics romp.

On 1/4/2024 at 7:29 PM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Would Mars itself then be the fire emblem?

Naw, it would have to be either metatron, Aumann, or potentially one or both of the sister frames of Jehuty and Annubis, or sister frames of Testament and Iblis if we want to focus more on the Fist of Mars than the series as a whole.

On 1/4/2024 at 9:39 PM, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J068.png

After much hardship and skill (reloading saves a dozen times) I managed to clear the way without getting the little guy killed.

Poor Dew, the thieves just do not resemble a combat unit unless you grind them up to promotion.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J077.png

Uh... shouldn't we-... *scratches head* if he's the fucking prince shouldn't we take him hostage to force a peace treaty with Issac? Like I'm just saying...

There is a bit more going on, but you are right, he probably should. Then again, leaving a child to the wolves that want to use him isn't exactly the kindest of things either.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J079.png

So now that we have the kid you'll stop attacking us right?

...Right?

Oh you sweet summer child.

Ahah, okay. Let me just reload my save and take the castle while making sure none of my units are in range. Surely Sigurd will be able to survive after he sieges-

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J082.png

Oh no...

Big oofs for that one. Ayra is a real combat beast.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J084.png

I'm sure Arden will be able to hold off those guys just fine.

I believe in Arden, he has got this. Just look at all the confidence in that face of his.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:34 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah yes, the good ol' "sigurd is invinicible and can solo FE4" claim that every single FE4 player likes to make.

I threw him at the chunk of enemies around the first castle in the game. He narrowly avoided death by getting a lucky dodge. Every time I tried to have him go on solo missions, he died horribly and I needed to send the team to back him up.

I'll never understand it.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:27 AM, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The claim is not unfounded. Sigurd can solo gen 1 with little to no effort. Only some bosses present danger to him

Alot of players (including me) have that experience.

An important caveat to remember is that people have found way to solo the first gen with everyone in FE4, and that this isn't like a Seth solo, there are times where you need to actually position him, be careful at times, and think about your moves a little bit.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Do you our royal aquatic insect win again? Smells like it.

Yet, I'll sympathize with Ruben once more on this. Personal Experience Negates Investigated Statistics.

Try the calcs with the mage army of chapter 4 next, as that is one of the real places an actual Sigurd solo really struggles in. As said, he can do it, but you have to be clever to do so, especially with how SIgurd's combat can suffer at 1-2 range, and the disjointedly forested terrain slowing his horse down.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:34 AM, Armagon said:

. But the Gen 2 substitute units are always worse than the normal ones because they don't get to inherit everything. There is one exception, one of the subs is the cousin of the intended recruitable so she gets similar bonuses but.

Really its a different set of substitutes that people will argue compete with the originals, with the substitute being the only way to get a dancer with the charm skill, and in her brother's case, access to the Berserk staff at all. Dancer and healer being some of the FE classes that are least reliant on stats for relevance really helps that out a fair bit.

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At least it isn't the forest directly next to Zeph's crew (why does it feel like Kaga yet again -Tia & Sennet- wrote another story begging to be given its own game, within his game?). But then that forest is just a little too small to hide the NPC guy without the wyverns being adjacent to him.

I kind of like how the world has more heroes than just you in it.

17 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

R1RZ4qV.jpg

RR Ironman is a go!

That is a really fitting start there. A prepromoted Mauvier defending little Veyle.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Statistically my skill is bad

Ftfy 😛

Confounded Shrimplord. How dare you?!

I aim to please

I'd kill him off if there were enemies that could kill him.

There's one dude tho?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Royal aquatic arthropod.

Better!

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

like that they are still melee focused, as there are plenty of gun based tactic games around, and the tactics of those weapons make things very different. Unless they do something like Dune where force shields have made melee weapons relevant to war again, I would prefer they keep it in the vaguely fantasy past.

It's not like i am saying go full guns, but the series basically has the same setting in all the games.

Why not go even more fantasy? Or Cyberpunk? Magitech? Pirate Emblem? Witch hunts? Something else beside the oh so common "Prince/Lord retakes his country and something something dark cults"?

Or how about some rapid industrial development thingy?

There're alot of possibilities that can work with experience FE is able to deliver

22 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

prepromoted Mauvier defending little Veyle.

The playthrough is more the other way around actually xD

Mauv is more a healer xD

36 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I do have a real soft spot for The Fist of Mars. It is nothing like the other Zone of Enders (which are great, and I consider them the best way to feel like you are playing a Mecha Anime), but a fun little tactics romp.

Me too, actually. I played it years before I even knew about Super Robot Wars. Fist of Mars was pretty much my first mecha game. Well... I may have played a Robotech game before it... no, wait, that was definitely after FoM. So yeah, my first video game mecha experience.

I never got the chance to play the other Zone of Enders game, however.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Poor Dew, the thieves just do not resemble a combat unit unless you grind them up to promotion.

I went into FE4 thinking "Sure Dew will have a rough start, but how bad can it really be?". 3 Str and no Pursuit quickly sunk any notion of doing that.

If he had either more Str or Pursuit (probably the former and let the latter be his little promotion reward), it'd make feeding him near-dead enemies less of a hassle.

I kind of like how the world has more heroes than just you in it.

Oh I don't disagree with that. But if you write them good enough, I'll be left wanting to experience their tales myself.😆

Try the calcs with the mage army of chapter 4 next, as that is one of the real places an actual Sigurd solo really struggles in.

Let me see...

10 Wind Mages, 11 Mag, 10 Skl. Elwind is 14 Mt, 80 Hit. Weaponless commander Cuvuli has 3 Authority Stars, effectively negating Sigurd's if he's in range. 25 Atk, 100-120 Hit.

Sigurd has 3 Res, which at a 5% growth he isn't likely to ever proc. Let's reuse the level 25 averages of 55 HP and 65 Avoid b/c it's easy, and not infeasible I guess for Sig the Strong to be at that at this point. 

Now, the terrain around the wind mages is dense with forests, so we can slap another terrain-derived 20 Avoid on Sig.

25 - 3 = 22 damage. Sigurd is 3HKO. Now, to be most-friendly towards Sigurd, let's say the wind mages aren't close to their commander and Sig is on a forest. 100 - 85 = 15% chance of being hit. IDK what the wind mage AI is, but they stay close to Cuvuli, it's 35% chance of landing, and if you make a mistake and leave the S on a forest-free tile within Cuvuli's zone of authority, then it's 55 and possibly a reset.

Now, if Sigurd wanted to try soloing this with a 1-2 range weapon. Well, I take it he'd be swinging the Light Brand he sis canonically keeps then for WTA. Loses 2AS owing to the Light Brand/Lightning's 5 WT vs. an Iron/Steel/Silver Sword. But that's still a net gain of 16 Avoid for him. So Sigurd would become potentially untouchable in woods away from Cuvuli? -I wish I actually had the game and at such a point I could test this myself.😆

26 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Me too, actually. I played it years before I even knew about Super Robot Wars. Fist of Mars was pretty much my first mecha game.

For me... the first exposure to mecha in games was almost certainly this. As I've posted before.:

Also before my dear OG1.:

Crbox.jpg

Ray 01, your visage is still so sleek to me.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I went into FE4 thinking "Sure Dew will have a rough start, but how bad can it really be?". 3 Str and no Pursuit quickly sunk any notion of doing that.

If he had either more Str or Pursuit (probably the former and let the latter be his little promotion reward), it'd make feeding him near-dead enemies less of a hassle.

Thief Fighters are also closer to Sword Fighters than Sword Masters. It's not like it's some kind of uber class or anything.

The good news is that Thieves can even steal money through indirect attacks with magic swords.

Magic swords are an interesting choice in general, because besides the ability to do indirect magic attacks, they also have solid physical power in melee while still only being C-rank swords. If you are locked to C-rank, they are easily your strongest option.

Edited by BrightBow

Huh, interesting. So skills in V need to be unlocked by buying a previous one, tech tree style. Hmm, I also see it doesn't have the Preemtive Strike of T. Looks like that one was added in X, so V doesn't have it. It was one I was putting on my pilots in T, but that's okay. Wasn't overly critical.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It felt like I learned something at first? I didn't run into one of the issues I did on the first attempt- dealing with 3 or 4 crossbows and I think the Killer Axe guy just east of the easternmost range of the wyvern pack. I exposed Aegina to too much (I need one mage to kill General Disheveled Beard), and either she or Marcel continually got murdered by them (and I think Sylvis was low on HP too). The first few turns go by quickly and easily, and the initial little snags whatever they be don't seem insurmountable. But, as things progress.

If Berwick were an action game, I'd move on because I know my reflexes tend towards being worse than that of a dead squirrel. But an SRPG? No reflexes involved, purely a matter of knowledge, wisdom, and luck. I feel more inclined to ram into a wall until I get through it, as frustrating a process as it may be.

Well, force yourself only as far as you can handle. It's only fun until it's not fun anymore.

It all comes down to a lack of accuracy with him. Pulverize gives him plenty of offense, but with Dean having the Str, the Axe, and the Hit, Axel finds it hard to compete.

This said, as a Searcher, Axel is definitely the best -for a rookie that is. Outside of chest utility, I feel like the two thieves are among the very worst units in Berwick for a newbie. When Axel hits, it'll be much more than 1-2 damage, and low Def he might have, but he has enough HP at least to practically always avoid being OHKO'ed. If you want the sparkly items strewn on a map, Axel sacrifices the least offense. -Now for a Berwick expert, knowing how to properly utilize Czene/Thaddy and work around the decrease in deployed raw strength, could be worth it for a few captures that -regardless of whether you're going for rankings- gives you a couple extra nice pieces of gear.

The thieves do need a bit of know-how, and Axel certainly helps with how much more ass he kicks in forced search fights than they do - and honestly? When it comes to searching, newbie or no, he's definitely the best. Ain't no way either of those scrubs is beating Vasquez without a lot of RNG involved - but I'd still say Aegina is the biggest begginer's trap. If you don't know to buy her a blessed brace she's basically doomed to mediocrity all game long.

-I can understand the game, but it doesn't mean I can play it well enough.🤨 -Although I'm not sure if I should use that language when I've 34(?) of its maps behind me.

Haha, hey, I didn't know until my second run that equipping a spear before moving makes it accumulate extra damage for each hex traversed. I also didn't know how to use Aegina properly until my forth run. It's not an easy game to master.

And yeah, as a character? Not bad at all. -I mean a lot of memories of what the characters are like have faded for me.😅 But his lingering impression is quite a good one whereas the spear knights, Sherlock, and Daoud can be summarized in my mind as who?.

Sounds about right. Axel has a super cute character story. One that's also not commonly seen in FE, and certainly not developed as well as Axel's is.

That is a really fitting start there. A prepromoted Mauvier defending little Veyle.

The Engage RR works super well. Especially since the Old People Squad is there on chapter 2.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I aim to please

Well aim better.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

There's one dude tho?

I killed him on PP.

Okay, after fiddling with some skill purchases (naturally, being a battleship, Yamato gets Hits & Away, for example), it's back into the action!

Okay, so, both protagonists are onboard the Yamato. Soji got assigned to the aircraft squadron, and Chitose to... accounting. Considering the aircraft squadron is one of Yamato's attacks (though not currently available), I wonder if it's actually determined over who is the main protagonist, and thus who pilots the VangRay during battle while the other is in a fighter plane.

Oh yeah, I remembered the Jupiter Empire mechs include some with Spanish names. But did they really had to go with using words like Batalla? Or Pez Batalla...

There's something so hilarious to see the Yamato dodging a Mobile Suit coming in melee with a beam saber...

Now that I think about it, the Crossbone Gundam BGM seems more subdued in V than in T.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Well, force yourself only as far as you can handle. It's only fun until it's not fun anymore.

I'd consider resorting to the dark arts, meaning pluming Leon cheats. I did flip on/off one little game breaker to bypass two obscene enemies SRWAP. 

But, I'd need to be a simple, general code. Something I can copypaste off the Internet into a page in the emulator and break things simply by doing that. Having to download a different build of PCSX2, and then searching through lines of little letters and numbers for specific characters/items to edit, would be too much for me.

I do see SF has a few general codes listed, but I'm not sure what help they would be. Making everything enemies have droppable is something that would've helped had I enacted it a while ago (since what would I do with the unending rain of rarities but spam them!), yet in this particular moment? Maybe not so much. Enemy control apparently wastes the player's actions, which isn't ideal either and trying to block a few of the enemy reinforcement spots (can't block them all so the refugees can appear) with Zephy's crew could very well end up making the rest of them attack me by mistake.

But for now, I think I'll just come for air again, and try tackling it again another day. -Or at least I hope.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

All that said, I very much agree with this sentiment. Fuck Seth, he makes FE8 boring AND he is boring. I'd kill him off if there were enemies that could kill him.

Wait, I can LAND the Yamato? It's even classified with Ground and Water movement, so it can also dive and move in both land and water. Geez, told ya, the Yamato is getting all the stops here!

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Why not go even more fantasy? Or Cyberpunk? Magitech?

Heroes is doing this 

reghin_bearing_hope_slide02.png?ex=65ac2

But we need it in a mainline game.

Oh, right, V (and possibly T as well?) does not use Crossbone Gundam's main story itself. Rather, it goes straight to using one of its sequels, Skull Heart. V also has in its list the second sequel, Steel Seven. However, it's marked as Units only, so no plot.

No wonder both it and T talk about the Jupiter Empire making a comeback, since that is the plot of Skull Heart. Steel Seven's plot is about a last ditch effort of them in using a Colony Laser to devastate the Earth... but it seems this bit won't be shown here in V. I mean, with Earth devastated by the Gamillans, and Crux Dogatie being dead, it's kinda overkill to use a Colony Laser now, I guess.

The thieves do need a bit of know-how, and Axel certainly helps with how much more ass he kicks in forced search fights than they do - and honestly? When it comes to searching, newbie or no, he's definitely the best. Ain't no way either of those scrubs is beating Vasquez without a lot of RNG involved - but I'd still say Aegina is the biggest begginer's trap. If you don't know to buy her a blessed brace she's basically doomed to mediocrity all game long.

Actually you don't need to beat Vasquez during the Search battle at all. He will leave the house after the battle is over and the person entering the house moves to a different hex. He even does this when the person on the hex loses the fight.

Considering this, someone with a knife might actually be the better pick here because they have a greater chance to inflict an injury on them, so he becomes an easy capture once he enters the overworld.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Heroes is doing this 

reghin_bearing_hope_slide02.png?ex=65ac2

But we need it in a mainline game.

Totally!

You know, looking at it... I guess the pilot's feet end up somewhere in the Gullinbursti's knee. Since the calves don't look like they can accommodate the pilot's legs, and since there is a knee joint...