• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I just remembered. SRW A had the woman among the Gon Jem Squadron end up with the Practice group. Did this not happen here? Also fun fact, in the anime Dan dies, the only of the three Practice members who does. 

Min was just another member of the GJ squad this time, no different than the others. I think it was... *checks AP's flow chart for the Hong Kong map where Master Asia was an NPC* Scenario 18 where the Gon Jem and his cohorts were all killed, barring Min as in the Dragonar anime.

Dan has Detonate/Self-Destruct as his last Spirit, fitting. I wasn't expecting the trio to join here, since A has Meio tell them and Min to help Giganos or something when their story is settled, he himself was a secret there after all.

Dragonar felt pretty subdued here in GC, some nice additional early Real units, but narratively just the willing tool of Zeon. Guiltorre showing up only twice and the total lack of conversation between him and the Zabis, or really any Giganos perspective on why the alliance was made and what they think of it, kinda drives this home. Plenty of good Meio-Char stuff early though, and it ends with a bit of a bang.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Impact and 30 got to over 100 scenarios... but even they knew when to stop I guess. But yeah, there really wasn't room. As pointed above, Z and ZZ are here seemingly just to pad the roster, or because it's VERY rare to not have them in. It has happened. Shin only used CCA and Victory, Zverse and 30 didn't had ZZ, BX only had Unicorn (so no Amuro for the first time in a SRW that has UC Gundam... funny, 3DS games be forcing absenses on Koji and Amuro)... though I think that's it?

I'd take 100 for GC. Sure I'm not done with it, but we could pad things with more Interstellar Alliance IP battles probably, and Raijin-Oh too.

With a franchise as long and prolific as SRW, I guess any tradition can/will eventually be broken. 

And Shin SRW looks dry checking its flow chart. One game-long route where I'm stuck with like a dozen Gun Blasters and only so many alternatives sounds painful.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Also, fun fact. Amuro and Char do not show up at all during Gundam ZZ. So any interaction you see between, say, Haman and Char, it happened during Zeta Gundam instead (as Haman also showed up there already). So Zeta Gundam at least got this to be in GC, due lack of the whole Titans storyline.

I take it over the decades it has been stated somewhere what they were up to at this time? Especially Char.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Min was just another member of the GJ squad this time, no different than the others. I think it was... *checks AP's flow chart for the Hong Kong map where Master Asia was an NPC* Scenario 18 where the Gon Jem and his cohorts were all killed, barring Min as in the Dragonar anime.

Wait, so she just dies here? Huh, interesting...

Dragonar felt pretty subdued here in GC, some nice additional early Real units, but narratively just the willing tool of Zeon. Guiltorre showing up only twice and the total lack of conversation between him and the Zabis, or really any Giganos perspective on why the alliance was made and what they think of it, kinda drives this home. Plenty of good Meio-Char stuff early though, and it ends with a bit of a bang.

Hmm, so somewhat better than what they got in A, I guess? Only other time Dragonar shows up is in MX, but I'm not sure on how exactly it goes there.

I'd take 100 for GC. Sure I'm not done with it, but we could pad things with more Interstellar Alliance IP battles probably, and Raijin-Oh too.

With a franchise as long and prolific as SRW, I guess any tradition can/will eventually be broken. 

And Shin SRW looks dry checking its flow chart. One game-long route where I'm stuck with like a dozen Gun Blasters and only so many alternatives sounds painful.

Lulz, Shin SRW did the Fates split first. Well, at least you can dodge-tank it for a while?

I take it over the decades it has been stated somewhere what they were up to at this time? Especially Char.

Yeah, I'm sure of it, though currently don't remember.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, so somewhat better than what they got in A, I guess?

Real Route in A begins with Meio & Practice vs. the Dragonar trio. Cima defected to Giganos. A portion of the first split Earth route is spent on Dragonar too; the Gon Jem Squad showed throughout the midgame. Grendizer and Getter Liger drilled through the Mass Driver. The Devil Gundam took up residence in the Mobile Fortress. 

All in all, I felt Dragonar did well in A(P), as befits its debut game.

Since GC was the third and final appearance of Dragonar, I guess Banpresto felt fine lowering its prominence, which I understand.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, at least you can dodge-tank it for a while?

I wrote that thinking of how numerous the Victory Gundam characters are in 30. Yet how unlikely it is you'll want to use probably anyone other than Uso, the Reinforce Jr., and whoever you give the second V2 to. Because why, when you have... *unfurls a very long list of names, that amount to practically everybody else in 30*.

Probably would make you more grateful for the units who aren't mass-production models that you have on hand in Shin's space route.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Real Route in A begins with Meio & Practice vs. the Dragonar trio. Cima defected to Giganos. A portion of the first split Earth route is spent on Dragonar too; the Gon Jem Squad showed throughout the midgame. Grendizer and Getter Liger drilled through the Mass Driver. The Devil Gundam took up residence in the Mobile Fortress. 

All in all, I felt Dragonar did well in A(P), as befits its debut game.

Yeah, debut usually means getting quite a few focus/prominence. Usually.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I wrote that thinking of how numerous the Victory Gundam characters are in 30. Yet how unlikely it is you'll want to use probably anyone other than Uso, the Reinforce Jr., and whoever you give the second V2 to. Because why, when you have... *unfurls a very long list of names, that amount to practically everybody else in 30*.

And yet some other SRW's had even more characters. 30 only having half the Shrike Team playable was a curious approach. Since in games like Shin, Alpha 1, or 2G, they'd have them all playable. Although in Alpha 1 they were only temporary, they'd leave the party eventually. D was something of an oddball in only having Junko playable. The rest only show up in one of her attack animations, and then just the mechs. I don't think even in dialogue they showed up.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J210.png

Your honor, he's just a little guy

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J214.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J215.png

Sibling rivalry

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J217.png

If only Brigid's pirate dad was still alive, they could reenact the Fates plot with this.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J218.png

This was definitely needed

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J221.png

Your country

A thing that, in fact, has never fought for you

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J224.png

Oh wonderful! She'll be able to give birth to the next king!

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J225.png

I was joking but if they actually go that route...

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J227.png

B-But I just promoted you! You can't leave me now!!

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

This is why you promote Capitalists! Well, in Victoria 2 at least. Aristocrats/Landowners can be of any ideology, and in fact, you need more of them to create more demand for their needs, and thus make them spend more, which means more money to the POPs that produce them, which in turn means more money for them to buy the goods they need. Then what you tax them can be used to fund StatePensions/UnemploymentSubsidies, which in turn use the money to buy goods again, putting the money back at top with the Capitalists/Landowners who own the factories/RGO's. Thus causing a feedback loop of money. Once their needs are capped, it's when you increase the POP's %'s, starting with Rich Strata.

It's basically Trickle Down Economics, but it's less of a trickle and more of a flow, which in turns goes back up in order to flow back down again.

Free Flow of Capital, Baby! Capitalism as it's meant to work.

I would have to start a new game, since I don't have a save file at the moment. I'm... not too bothered, honestly. I'll just calmly play after the shutdown at my own pace. If I lose something, then that's that.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, I mean, it's easy to make it work when the game doesn't fully immerse itself on how much the human factor can... well, mess it up.

Just like how No Plan Survives Contact with the Enemy, the Human Factor ruins lots of things. Since Victoria 2 doesn't have something like a greed/corruption factor on POPs, then the rich do pay their due in taxes, for example. Thus it's easy to have a workable economy.

I've never played Vicky 2 but in Vicky 3 it works slightly differently, with capitalist pops aiming for balanced profit in the local and global market and thus not caring about lowing food prices for poor pops or paying them a fair wage. The Industrialists always advocate for tax breaks for the well-to-do and the lowest possible wages on every industry. They want a surplus to sell on the international market but not to mass sell locally as they would have to drive down prices so that everybody could afford them. There is somewhat of a flow, as there was in real life, but it is inconsistent and one-sided.

But you still promote them early game as they are much better than the aristocrats in the landed gentry.

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J214.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J215.png

Sibling rivalry

Staff access means Ethlyn wins.

Yeah, that was a big bummer for anyone not expecting it.

Fun fact, Finn leaving this early is the reason why his Love Point gains with Tailtu and Brigid are +10 per turn. So +15 when standing next to each other. As well as having a starting base of 180. Precisely so you can rush to 500 points in the single chapter they can be deployed together. 

I've never played Vicky 2 but in Vicky 3 it works slightly differently, with capitalist pops aiming for balanced profit in the local and global market and thus not caring about lowing food prices for poor pops or paying them a fair wage. The Industrialists always advocate for tax breaks for the well-to-do and the lowest possible wages on every industry. They want a surplus to sell on the international market but not to mass sell locally as they would have to drive down prices so that everybody could afford them. There is somewhat of a flow, as there was in real life, but it is inconsistent and one-sided.

But you still promote them early game as they are much better than the aristocrats in the landed gentry.

Yeah, Victoria 3 can allow itself to be more complex since it's a much newer game. Victoria 2 doesn't have to details either. Wages are paid in full and can only change through Social Reform. Prices depend on supply and demand. While not a personal desire, it's still beneficial to keep taxes low so the POPs can use the money to buy goods, and thus stimulate the economy.

So yeah, you can say Victoria 3 is more realistic by adopting the human factor, if less ideal as a result.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, Victoria 3 can allow itself to be more complex since it's a much newer game. Victoria 2 doesn't have to details either. Wages are paid in full and can only change through Social Reform. Prices depend on supply and demand. While not a personal desire, it's still beneficial to keep taxes low so the POPs can use the money to buy goods, and thus stimulate the economy.

So yeah, you can say Victoria 3 is more realistic by adopting the human factor, if less ideal as a result.

There are a lot of complexities regarding local prices and trading policies, how high or low tariffs are on specific imports, and all that explaining why a grocery worker in one state is earning twice the wages of a grocery worker in another, which also plays into how migration works.

Generally, capitalists in the game oppose state interference in the market, and so they oppose things like subsidized wages and support privatization of all industries, even for public services like railroads and power plants, which is why laissez-faire as a law makes you as the state unable to subsidize or nationalize certain industries. If that all sounds very familiar...yeah its supposed to.

What makes it all very impressive is that its all modeled at the pop level, making it more dynamic and materially inspired.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_2024-01-30-18-07-12-44_0b2fce

It did always seem to be a bit too perfect to be coincidence that the best social link in the franchise is P3's Sun, and what has a solid argument for being it's worst is P3's Moon...

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Oh hey, speaking of Persona 3, seems the remake cut out the transphobia. As you can imagine, people are having normal reactions over this.

I don't think the Persona 3 scene was quite as bad as the original P5 one was, but it sounds like a fine enough change to make. Also it is not a very memorable scene, I had to really think about it to figure out what scene you might have meant with this one, and without all the pointless drama, I doubt many people would have even noticed.

3 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Sibling rivalry

You really put a lot into Ethlyn...nice job promoting her. Although it does make one interesting event slightly less likely, but I guess we will see what happens when we get there.

If only Brigid's pirate dad was still alive, they could reenact the Fates plot with this.

Lol, I guess Nohr would fit as a pirate nation in most regards. Although she does not have enough siblings on either side...

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J218.png

This was definitely needed

Although the main difference is she is kinda a badass, with a real holy weapon on her hands, not the cheap toys they hand out in most of the franchise.

Just out of curiosity, did you follow enough of court gossip from chapter 2 to figure out the little secret of this?

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J221.png

Your country

A thing that, in fact, has never fought for you

Isn't that the truth. Poor guy is the doormat the Granvale

Yeah, big oofs on that one after going through the effort of getting her promoted.

Oh, c'mon.

9 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

That's... Really not an image I needed. 

Too bad.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Beach scene apparently.

"The Persona 3 scene in question had the party trying to hit on women at the beach, with Akihiko, Junpei, and the protagonist approaching a character referred to as "Beautiful Lady." After some back-and-forth, Akihiko points out a bit of facial hair on her chin, to which Beautiful Lady responds, "I-I missed a spot?!" Junpei then exclaims "she's a he?!""

Reload removes all reference of her being trans and instead she's just a straight woman who is a conspiracy theorist trying to sell super sunscreen or some shit.

I mean, "change the trans woman into a cis woman" is not exactly the most graceful solution, but considering this has probably been enough to incur the wrath of the purists and the transphobes who were looking forward to seeing this mockery in HD, I suppose it's not the worst they could've done either.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-30_224257_vote8.c

latest.png?ex=65cc3723&is=65b9c223&hm=b3

There's the real CYL winner

The coolest of the Tellius vendor four. Of course. Who even remembers Jorge's brother?

Well, that aside, who lost of the playables?

...A five-way tie for second-last that includes Roberto and Dice. Of course. It's BSFE again. BSFE are champions of losing lol

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Interesting to note that Timerra scored better than we thought. 23rd place, right behind Nel who scored 22.

Fans beat the racism allegations this time.

Glad to be wrong.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/s/Pfwb7bAWca

The bottom five Engage characters placed there specifically to spite Ruben bruh 💀💀💀

Surprised I am not.

Pleased I am not.

5 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J210.png

Your honor, he's just a little guy

Even a (presumably) tall and handsome man atop a white steed is small in Briggid's eyes. It's canon that Briggid is a giantess.

...Nice.

Sibling rivalry

I like how she's just better than him in every way.

The "Sigurd is overrated" saga continues.

"Rebellions are like seeds, Briggid."

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J224.png

Oh wonderful! She'll be able to give birth to the next king!

You should know better than to joke where Kaga is concerned.

Don't worry, they'll be back.

6 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I do appreciate the detail that once you remove holy blood, those identical twins also have almost identical growths. They just have their strength and magic growths swapped. Which given that Aideen trains by healing people and Briggid trains by pulling longbow strings, is probably fair enough. Especially since it's just a 10% difference anyway.
Now Briggid does have a lower Luck growth than Aideen, though I would wager that this is with consideration for the fact that Ulir already boosts her luck to an obscene degree.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I like how she's just better than him in every way.

The "Sigurd is overrated" saga continues.

Too bad Pursuit is not a class skill for Paladins.
Also that Sigurd got not a single point of speed in 10 levels, as well as only 3 points of strength on a 50% growth. Not exactly an average Sigurd there. Good defense, though.

7 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Man they really did just alter the face on those sprites huh.

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It did always seem to be a bit too perfect to be coincidence that the best social link in the franchise is P3's Sun, and what has a solid argument for being it's worst is P3's Moon...

See, this doesn't even seem to be mechanically, he was referring to the writing in this case based on the "sometimes you meet people you don't like". Like yeah, that's true. Sometimes you meet people you don't like. But it's not real life, it's a game, a story. If someone criticizes an aspect of it, going "nooooo you just didn't get it, it's supposed to be bad" is a pretty annoying defense. And I see this constantly with P3 fans as an outsider. 

>Tartarus is a slog

"No but you see, it's supposed to represent the trials and tribulations of life so it makes sense that it wastes your time"

>P3 AI only allies is bad game design

"No but you see, it represents having trust in your friends and trusting them to do the right thing" yeah like getting me killed.

I don't see it often tbf but this is a thing I see happen specifically with P3 fans.

27 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Man they really did just alter the face on those sprites huh.

The hair and body positionings are different, actually.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Too bad Pursuit is not a class skill for Paladins.

I don't care.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Also that Sigurd got not a single point of speed in 10 levels, as well as only 3 points of strength on a 50% growth. Not exactly an average Sigurd there. Good defense, though.

Sigurd Bad.

Ya know

I've been trying to revisit some FE games in various ways....

I find my mood souring in all of them when revisiting/replaying pretty fast ngl - sometimes even in a "Why did i like this again" way before i stop playing so i can keep remembering the game fondly...

Except 3

Y'all probably know which 3 i am talking about 😛

Those 3 i find myself appreciating more actually, despite their flaws

Then again, i ususlly do not replay games

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The benefit of a being a franchise where most of your most prominent music is the great hits of many different IPs. 

I liek

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Persona and it's consequences have been a disaster for the human race

Ftfy 😛

31 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ya know

I've been trying to revisit some FE games in various ways....

I find my mood souring in all of them when revisiting/replaying pretty fast ngl - sometimes even in a "Why did i like this again" way before i stop playing so i can keep remembering the game fondly...

Except 3

Y'all probably know which 3 i am talking about 😛

Those 3 i find myself appreciating more actually, despite their flaws

Then again, i ususlly do not replay games

Preferences and tastes change with time. There's definitely a few FEs I used to love that I couldn't go back to now, and conversely, I'm certain I would've looked back on PoR a lot more fondly if I'd played it when I started with FE rather than much later as I did. In short, shit happens.

Good that you've found yourself enjoying some of them, at least. Have you gone back to the entire series or just some of the games?

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

See, this doesn't even seem to be mechanically, he was referring to the writing in this case based on the "sometimes you meet people you don't like". Like yeah, that's true. Sometimes you meet people you don't like. But it's not real life, it's a game, a story. If someone criticizes an aspect of it, going "nooooo you just didn't get it, it's supposed to be bad" is a pretty annoying defense. And I see this constantly with P3 fans as an outsider. 

Not to be confrontational, but it can be very grating to see somebody complain about a game they apparently haven't played, if you're a fan of said game yourself. I personally bounced off of P3 because of the uncontrollable party members after coming from P4, too, but I'm not going to tell somebody who enjoys that aspect of the game that they're wrong.

9 minutes ago, ping said:

Not to be confrontational, but it can be very grating to see somebody complain about a game they apparently haven't played, if you're a fan of said game yourself. I personally bounced off of P3 because of the uncontrollable party members after coming from P4, too, but I'm not going to tell somebody who enjoys that aspect of the game that they're wrong.

This... Is actually a fair point.