• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I MADE IT THROUGH THE CHAPTER! I was positive that I was going to have to stop having everyone paired up with their S support partner at all times but then I made it through! ^^

I mean only because I got a lucky dodge but we can ignore that part

2 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I MADE IT THROUGH THE CHAPTER! I was positive that I was going to have to stop having everyone paired up with their S support partner at all times but then I made it through! ^^

Congratulations! ^^

3 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

The RNGoddess has looked down upon with mercy! Shower praise on her!

Seriously though, congrats.

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

F

How come? Are they hard to activate?

I don't know if they're necessarily hard to activate but it's not as intuitive as in the other games. They aren't marked on the map or on the HUD, not at first anyway. Then there's the matter that the character who's Heart-to-Heart you're going to view can't be in the party. Some have some other minor additional requirements.

The good news is that Heart-to-Hearts are basically just an extra, the meat of character interactions and developments comes from each character's Affinity Missions (each character has a set of three) and this includes characters who aren't playable, which explains why I'm just now realizing that I haven't done any Heart-to-Hearts. 

Just now, Armagon said:

I don't know if they're necessarily hard to activate but it's not as intuitive as in the other games. They aren't marked on the map or on the HUD, not at first anyway. Then there's the matter that the character who's Heart-to-Heart you're going to view can't be in the party. Some have some other minor additional requirements.

Ah, I see!
That's kind of odd, considering how relatively easy they were to get in Xenoblade 2.
But this is most likely down to QoL stuff.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The good news is that Heart-to-Hearts are basically just an extra, the meat of character interactions and developments comes from each character's Affinity Missions (each character has a set of three) and this includes characters who aren't playable, which explains why I'm just now realizing that I haven't done any Heart-to-Hearts. 

That is indeed good news!

16 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Congratulations! ^^

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Seriously though, congrats.

I am kind of concerned that the strategy can’t last for long... for most units, any way. Chrom and Sumia are at B support and can already one round most enemies.

8 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Ah, I see!
That's kind of odd, considering how relatively easy they were to get in Xenoblade 2.

They're pretty easy to find in Xenoblade 1 as well but they're a pain in the ass to actually activate in that game. In Xenoblade 2 it's easy to both find and activate them.

9 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

I am kind of concerned that the strategy can’t last for long... for most units, any way. Chrom and Sumia are at B support and can already one round most enemies.

It should work out. Awakening has only a few maps where not pairing up is advantageous.

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They're pretty easy to find in Xenoblade 1 as well but they're a pain in the ass to actually activate in that game. In Xenoblade 2 it's easy to both find and activate them.

I see, I see!
If I recall correctly, some do require a Field Skill, but I generally found them rather easily when I played Xenoblade 2.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

It should work out. Awakening has only a few maps where not pairing up is advantageous.

Yes but at all times when I’m having trouble with too many enemies and effectively halving my unit count is gonna be trouble...

I just learned of a strat where I use Elma's Blood Sacrifice -> Shadowrunner outside of battle to completely get past enemies undetected, regardless of level. This is the only time in a Xenoblade game where an Art has a practical use outside of battle and gotta say, I love it.

15 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I recall correctly, some do require a Field Skill, but I generally found them rather easily when I played Xenoblade 2.

Yeah, for some, you do need a Field Skill to reach them but the Heart-to-Hearts themselves don't really require any prerequisites.

8 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Yes but at all times when I’m having trouble with too many enemies and effectively halving my unit count is gonna be trouble...

Good point.
In that case, only pair up the ones where you're planning to use only one partner long-term and have the one you're not planning on keeping around be their "backpack", as it were. Or alternatively try to use pair up to boost characters whose stats are on the low side. Those stat increases can count for a lot.

13 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Good point.
In that case, only pair up the ones where you're planning to use only one partner long-term and have the one you're not planning on keeping around be their "backpack", as it were. Or alternatively try to use pair up to boost characters whose stats are on the low side. Those stat increases can count for a lot.

Those are good ideas, but I just found out that characters only need to attack while paired up 3 times and they will have maxed out their support for the map... that’s not very many before I can unpair them. (Well, technically 4 but attacking 3 times will round it up to the limit, although to be safe I should probably have them attack 4 times because I could run the risk of them maxing support with someone else in that map, in which case their support points would actually be rounded down to 2 (the max is 3).)

Quick question for the Trails experts...

Of course, I'm only halfway (I think) through SC at this point, but I've been reading about the next games to have an idea of what to expect or to see what was changed from game to game, etc. Avoiding spoilers as well.

What I've consistently heard about Sky the 3rd is that it largely is a side story in an almost exclusively dungeon-crawler format, and that except for a few story bits, it can largely be skipped.

To be honest, a gameplay format like that doesn't interest me much, since the dungeon parts of FC and SC (so far) have been my least favorite aspects of the games. Not bad, of course, but just significantly less interesting to me.

Would I be missing much or anything by going straight to Crossbell after SC, or at least reading an LP of 3rd before doing that?

Edited by twilitfalchion

1 minute ago, Sooks1016 said:

Those are good ideas, but I just found out that characters only need to attack while paired up 3 times and they will have maxed out their support for the map... that’s not very many before I can unpair them. (Well, technically 4 but attacking 3 times will round it up to the limit, although to be safe I should probably have them attack 4 times because I could run the risk of them maxing support with someone else in that map, in which case their support points would actually be rounded down to 2 (the max is 3).)

HOW in the heck have I put 2,000+ hours into Awakening and never known this?!?

5 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

HOW in the heck have I put 2,000+ hours into Awakening and never known this?!?

Because you never thought to Google it like I did. Paired up characters attacking gain 6/9 of a support point per attack and there is a max of 3 points per pair per map, and the game rounds up to the nearest whole at the end of the map.... math!

Just now, Sooks1016 said:

Because you never thought to Google it like I did. Paired up characters attacking gain 6/9 of a support point per attack and there is a max of 3 points per pair per map, and the game rounds up to the nearest whole at the end of the map.... math!

I see, I see!
Friggin' hell...

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Quick question for the Trails experts...

Of course, I'm only halfway (I think) through SC at this point, but I've been reading about the next games to have an idea of what to expect or to see what was changed from game to game, etc. Avoiding spoilers as well.

What I've consistently heard about Sky the 3rd is that it largely is a side story in an almost exclusively dungeon-crawler format, and that except for a few story bits, it can largely be skipped.

To be honest, a gameplay format like that doesn't interest me much, since the dungeon parts of FC and SC (so far) have been my least favorite aspects of the games. Not bad, of course, but just significantly less interesting to me.

Would I be missing much or anything by going straight to Crossbell after SC, or at least reading an LP of 3rd before doing that?

Though Sky 3rd is one giant dungeon, a good chunk of the floors are locations from the previous two games.

But you absolutely should play Sky 3rd. While the main story itself is mostly self-contained, all of the side stories either provide character development, set up something for a future game, or both. In fact, pretty much everything that happens from Trails to Zero to Cold Steel 4 is set up one way or another in Sky 3rd.

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Friggin' hell...

What’s wrong?

Also that number seems kinda low so I’m gonna look at other sources instead of just Serenes Forest.

Although, if they gain only 6/9 of a point, wouldn't three attacks just make it 2 points straight (18/9)? You would need that fourth attack so it's 24/9, rounded to 27/9.

Also, the info is just here in Serenes. Which shows just how many people actually check those pages before asking in the forums.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Although, if they gain only 6/9 of a point, wouldn't three attacks just make it 2 points straight (18/9)? You would need that fourth attack so it's 24/9, rounded to 27/9.

I didn’t count the first 6/9 as an attack.... how did I manage that xD

19 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm still baffled by the fact that I've put over 2,000 hours into the game, have owned it for seven years and never known that this is how support point gains work...

Me with Three Houses finding out that Triangle Attack was a thing.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

just learned of a strat where I use Elma's Blood Sacrifice -> Shadowrunner outside of battle to completely get past enemies undetected, regardless of level. This is the only time in a Xenoblade game where an Art has a practical use outside of battle and gotta say, I love it.

I've mentioned this strat in the past before, it's not as good turning off enemy aggro in XC2, but it works. If you have some Meaty Evello Eggs and Turba Nectars, you can make Extend Aura V for an extra 5 seconds of stealth.

If you feel like running on foot through some lava for whatever reason, Geolibrium from Photon Sabers via Doug or Yelv can negate terrain damage. But, Terrain Damage Reducer XX is ridiculously easy to make. 

2 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

Did you ever realize the easy way to save Maribelle and Ricken was to Pair Up them, head, south, have Lissa use the Rescue staff Donnel's Paralogue provided? Rescue is eventually infinitely buyable in this game, no need to save it, barring financial limitations.

3 hours ago, Sooks1016 said:

There are ambush spawns in this one????? *heaviest sigh imaginable* I have to take back my perfect difficulty opinion. The only reason Sully is still alive is because Kellam decided to tank the attack.

They tend to be restricted to forts and stairs. Not always, but blocking/being wary of those spaces will help.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Ah, I see!

The little requirements of XCX Heart-to-Hearts are basically four things:

• Viewing of any and all HtHs that are supposed to precede the current one. A few HtHs do form a little chronological chain for the character.
  • Completion of a certain story chapter, or the character's Affinity Missions, access to which are often locked based on your story progression.
  • A specific time of day, the person may not be at the prescribed location if it's wrong.
  • Either a cat or dog is on display in your barracks. That pet will then show up for them out in NLA.

Lao needs a dog in the barracks and the time to be Early Morning (4-7 AM I think) before he'll show near Deliverance Park for his first HtH for instance.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did you ever realize the easy way to save Maribelle and Ricken was to Pair Up them, head, south, have Lissa use the Rescue staff Donnel's Paralogue provided? Rescue is eventually infinitely buyable in this game, no need to save it, barring financial limitations.

I actually had that in Lissa’s inventory but forgot about it. Good to know I can buy as many as I want though.