• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

The hack is good. I'm enjoying it so far. The dialogue is cheesy and cringe at some points, but in a charming way, kind of like old anime with bad English dubs. The maps are pretty simple so far. I hope that the difficulty kicks up a tad as it goes along. But I still like it a fair bit.

Now that I’ve turned aside the apocalypse for a second time, I’ve at last cleared my mind, and after some cold-feet delaying, finally turned to peaceful farming with Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town.

My first impression could’ve been better. The title screen did not have a remix of the old title theme.:

Whatever replaced it did not sound all that good to me, and stood no chance of eliciting tears of nostalgic joy like the above track could.

My memory said the first day of Spring used to be one big forced tour of Mineral Town, it isn’t in this update, but the first day of Spring is still unplayable, a little odd. And there aren’t really anything in the way of forced interactive tutorials either (written tutorials exist though), though Seedling Mode exists for beginners. I’m a little disappointed the town map doesn’t let you see the hours of operation and closed days of the various shops. The music for Spring alternates between the old tune I recognize, and something new and unfamiliar, not sure why. I made the mistake of leaving one tile untilled in each 3x3 crop square for my first few plantings, the remake does away with the old “no stepping on your crops!”, so I can even with a basic watering can reach and harvest the center plant, that cost me a few hundred gold. Also, I noticed they changed the title screen flashback stuff a little, probably because same-sex marriage meant the old "I was the little boy/girl you played with those years ago, and now we're at the altar" was no longer viable -unless they had chosen to include both a local little boy and a little girl in the sequence.

I turned off character portraits first thing, but I think I might turn them back on, considering the portraits add expression to the characters’ words. My turning off of the portraits was likely because the mayor Theodore and Zack, who got really bad redesigns IMO, are the first two people you meet, and I think I’ll be mostly fine with the rest. I picked the new character design myself, since I wanted to mentally separate this remake from the original somewhat, and the new design is perfectly fine too for me. I liked what the designer said of it, that the modern urban look suits the player character more than the classic farming getup because the player is technically an immigrant from the city in the first place. The basic chibi 3D models are alright from the usual ingame distance, up close they’re poor.

For all ye RF4 players, this is definitely too simple for you. Wait for RF5, or if you really want to try the mother franchise, the brand new SoS instead (or that indie Stardew Valley game everyone loves, I'm not overly interested in it though).

But, I can’t say I’m not having some fun. I played through half of Spring before I decided to take a break, at which point my undocked Switch was down to 20%. Days are definitely fast in this game, though the world is pretty small and time doesn’t go by indoors (including the mines), so it evens out somewhat. I’ve planted about all I can within my current stamina limits, and have upgraded the watering can once. I don’t like that going to sleep even before it’s too late doesn’t give me a 100% Stamina recharge.

It’s almost never not a slow start in SoS I’d think, since you have little stamina, little means of replenishing it, basic tools, no animals, and above all else, next to no money. I keep investing in more seeds because they mean more money later, and I've upgraded my rucksack. My next purchase will probably be a chicken for that constant egg money, and although it’d be far better to get all my subsequent chickens from the incubator, I think I’ll break from efficiency and add some visual diversity to my coop by purchasing a brown chicken too.

House renovations and such can wait until after I get a cow and a sheep sometime in Summer, and some tool upgrades. IDK when I’ll start putting time and stuff I’d rather sell into wooing my man, and I honestly don’t know who they are, so I’ll butter them all until I do.

...I think I've written enough for now.🥔🥒🥬

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

My memory said the first day of Spring used to be one big forced tour of Mineral Town, it isn’t in this update, but the first day of Spring is still unplayable, a little odd.

That's how it was in original FoMT as well. Told you it had less stuff than BtN. Also the tour was on Spring 2, not 1, anyway.

So, hmm, sounds like I suppose I can just stick with the original FoMT, then. Or buy BtN from the PSN if I were to really buy another version of the game.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Alright, so Luciel, The Eternal is capable of destroying a freshly crafted Ares 90, good to know. I've been mostly using it to clear out Tyrant Surveys, particularly in Cauldros so I could get it to 60% and recruit Mia but I decided to test my mettle against Luciel and we'll, yeah.

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

. I love the Ares wings when it soars, they are beautiful to look at. 

The Ares just has a really sleek look to it in general, I really like it.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For all ye RF4 players, this is definitely too simple for you. Wait for RF5, or if you really want to try the mother franchise, the brand new SoS instead (or that indie Stardew Valley game everyone loves, I'm not overly interested in it though).

Yeah, honestly, I'd wait for Pioneers of Olive Town at this point. And RF5, obviously but that's not until later.

As for Stardew, I don't blame you for not being interested. It's good but I did feel like something was missing. Also the character portraits put me off, I know PC versions can be modded for them to look nicer but I have the game on Switch and I can't do anything about it.

IMG_20201101_223611.jpg

Went ahead and crafted an Excavator Skell but one I keep this time because it's the easiest Lv.60 Skell to make. I've named it the Fur Elise and I'm not linking to what song it's named after because everyone here has listened to Fur Elise at least once in their lives.

16 minutes ago, Sooks1016 said:

Dang paralogue 17 (the Tiki paralogue) is hArD... but should be really easy when I cut back on my number of pair-ups. F for Gerome and Nah’s romance.

Yeah that chapter is basically form a ring around Tiki and let no one through.

45 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Alright, so Luciel, The Eternal is capable of destroying a freshly crafted Ares 90, good to know. I've been mostly using it to clear out Tyrant Surveys, particularly in Cauldros so I could get it to 60% and recruit Mia but I decided to test my mettle against Luciel and we'll, yeah.

The Ares just has a really sleek look to it in general, I really like it.

Yep, the one in Sylvalum Is a bit easier to handle, although still capable of killing you just as easily. Getting some defence augments for ether, physical, etc is something that makes it hella easier.

It does! They did such an amazing job making it feel "supreme"! 

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah that chapter is basically form a ring around Tiki and let no one through.

Hmm I never tried a dIrEcT ring... I think I’ll try it with less pair up first though.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Yep, the one in Sylvalum Is a bit easier to handle, although still capable of killing you just as easily.

There's a Milesaur in Sylvalum?

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

As for Stardew, I don't blame you for not being interested. It's good but I did feel like something was missing. Also the character portraits put me off, I know PC versions can be modded for them to look nicer but I have the game on Switch and I can't do anything about it.

I'm not sold on the game's pixel art in general either. And I heard the entire game was made by one man and some say that character writing wasn't exactly his strong suit. Farming is nice, but the characters better be good too, considering that about it for what the game has.

That might have something to do with the fact Luciel inflicts Topple with every attack it has, it's its gimmick.

IMG_20201101_223611.jpg

I have never seen a single snippet of either the manga or anime adaption, but I from the occasional random image of the series I've seen, I can tell you went JoeJoe on the colors here.

IMG_20201101_224538.jpg

The Orphe are welcome to immigrate to the United States, we could use 'em.

I love The Party Line, yaaaaaay to interfering in elections for sanity's sake! 

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

There's a Milesaur in Sylvalum?

Not that I'm aware of. Although I would say Ignit, the Ultimate Chaos in the region is on the dicey side for an unaugmented Ares. And the husband and wife Sabulas.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That might have something to do with the fact Luciel inflicts Topple with every attack it has, it's its gimmick.

Oh, so if you aren't going in with Topple Resist XX, you literally just lose then? Well, at least it's not a Spike effect.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I have never seen a single snippet of either the manga or anime adaption, but I from the occasional random image of the series I've seen, I can tell you went JoeJoe on the colors here.

Now that you point it out, I can see that. I took a page out of JoJo by naming my Skells after musical references and some of the names I picked are used in the series but as far as colors, for this one, I just wanted to use colors I haven't really used all that much.

Pictured: me trying to get Coil, the Never-Ending to spawn by reloading the map until an EM Storm happens because Cauldros Survey

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

Monolith Soft please have a weather change option in the next Xenoblade game, I beg you.

Edited by Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

Monolith Soft please have a weather change option in the next Xenoblade game, I beg you.

Plot twist they hire Kaga and you have the options of "Fog" or "Thracian fog," the latter making you 98% blind.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pictured: me trying to get Coil, the Never-Ending to spawn by reloading the map until an EM Storm happens because Cauldros Survey

Waiting-Skeleton.jpg

I don't think you have to spam quick travel, IIRC, flying back and forth over a region's border (as in, fly into Sylvalum, when you see you're labeled as being there, turn around and fly back until you see the location has changed to Cauldros and see what the weather is there, if not the desired weather, fly back into Sylvalum and repeat) works too. Maybe thats faster.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think you have to spam quick travel, IIRC, flying back and forth over a region's border (as in, fly into Sylvalum, when you see you're labeled as being there, turn around and fly back until you see the location has changed to Cauldros and see what the weather is there, if not the desired weather, fly back into Sylvalum and repeat) works too. Maybe thats faster.

That does work although i must be having really bad luck right now as the weather is refusing to budge from cloudy.

Ehh, i'll do this another day.

Ugh, still feeling residue Daylight Time. Hour back to normal but feeling sleepy already.

And I was suppose to finish the next chapter of one of my fanfics today, but I've been pretty much stalling it...

Edited by Acacia Sgt