Forging Bonds: A New Future! (August 18th)

Diovani Bressan

9 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Thinking about it more, I really, REALLY wish Edelgard had talked with Sothis, Yune, Mila, Duma, or all of them. That would have been the most interesting set of conversations.

Actually yeah. Talking about crest-like things (like the major and minor blood from FE4/5, the marks on Alm's/Celica's hands, and the Exalt Brand (not to mention Robin's special hand tattoo) would be better for Hanneman, but also maybe Linhardt. It feels like they played that card too soon and on the wrong person. Plus, it was too much Lissa. We didn't even get to see her talk with Alm and Celica. Lissa was fine for a C support, but after that, I think it should've been handled like Gerrick's FB convoes, where he talked to a bunch of different mercenaries. Even then, though, I'd rather that be left to Hanneman and let Edelgard maybe explore empires or people and such that don't have the gods' help, since that's what she's striving for. Maybe it's not as great as she thinks it'd be. Or, as you said, talk to the gods themselves and find out their perspective on stuff. Oddly, I think she'd find Duma agreeable since his whole thing was letting humans develop their own strength and not coddling them. Man, imagine Edelgard's confusion!

@jameslove001

Their brand is different. It comes from choices made by beorc and laguz ancestors, not as "gifts from the gods." The gods are what has Edelgard sour.

Edited by Mercakete

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Actually yeah. Talking about crest-like things (like the major and minor blood from FE4/5, the marks on Alm's/Celica's hands, and the Exalt Brand (not to mention Robin's special hand tattoo) would be better for Hanneman, but also maybe Linhardt. It feels like they played that card too soon and on the wrong person...Even then, though, I'd rather that be left to Hanneman and let Edelgard maybe explore empires or people and such that don't have the gods' help, since that's what she's striving for. Maybe it's not as great as she thinks it'd be.

Seconding this. If ever Hanneman ends up in FEH, the ensuing Forging Bonds talk ought to allude to the implications/realpolitik between people with such marks and those who don't.

2 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Or, as you said, talk to the gods themselves and find out their perspective on stuff. Oddly, I think she'd find Duma agreeable since his whole thing was letting humans develop their own strength and not coddling them. Man, imagine Edelgard's confusion!

This should be hilarious.

Edited by Karimlan

I just finished Edelgard's conversations, since green hearts was a little rare to me.

It feels... incomplete. It should have at least one more conversation, between Edelgard and some of the god characters. They spent too much time in Edelgard and Lissa. Probably my least favorite conversation of this FB.

On 8/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Karimlan said:

This should be hilarious.

Alright, I'm rewriting/continuing Edelgard's FB supports. Obviously, this is fanmade content and is not official in any way. It is based on my limited knowledge of the characters (especially since I've only played through the Blue Lions route and part of the Golden Deer route and I haven't quite completed my playthrough of SoV.)

C :

Edelgard: So, you are Sothis? You look to be a mere child...

Sothis: And you have no sense of respect, addressing me like that! A child... Really! How very rude! Well, considering how much you despise me, I suppose your crude behavior is to be expected.

Edelgard: You already know how I feel, then.

Sothis: Indeed. I have watched you through the eyes of another. I saw you striving toward your goals, working ceaselessly, and rising from student to emperor. Your drive and determination are admirable...though toward a goal you have not thought all the way through.

Edelgard: Excuse me? Not thought all the way through? Did you think your actions all the way through when you burdened humanity with crests? Did you think about how those with them would rise up, belittling and devaluing anyone who was born without one? What about how the destinies of those born with crests would already be determined for them, regardless of individual passions and ambitions?!

Sothis: To tell the truth, I do not remember what happened all those years ago. But even so, do not the history books say that it was humans who organized themselves in that way? And even if there were no gods in Fodlan, do you not suppose that humans would continue to structure their society in the very way that you claim is due to my influence?

Edelgard: ?!

Sothis: This is why I say that you have not thought this all the way through. Besides that, you have not even considered the perspective of the gods. Even if you still wish to rail against us, it can be no hindrance to learn of our thoughts, can it?

Edelgard: ... I suppose so. Understanding one's foe is beneficial.

Sothis: *sigh* However you wish to think of it, I suppose. Anyway, there are several gods here in Askr besides myself. We are easier to speak to than ever. I suggest you acquaint yourself with some of them. Their histories, peoples, and positions may differ widely from my own...but I am certain that there is much perspective to gain from speaking with them all the same.

Edelgard: Very well. Direct me to the first of these...deities.

B:

Yune: You want to know more about my influence over humanity?

Edelgard: Make no mistake, I am not friendly toward your kind. However, I seek to understand how other countries fare under the rule of other deities.

Yune: Well, that's rude. Why do you care if you hate us so much?

Edelgard: I understand the practicality of learning your perspective. Askr presents a unique opportunity to do so. As such, I have decided that I do not wish to squander such an opportunity.

Yune: How boring...but I suppose I can respect that. You should know, however, that I am only half a goddess.

Edelgard: Oh. You mean that you have human lineage?

Yune: No. I mean that I am literally half a goddess. Weren't you paying attention? I am half of Ashunera, the goddess who created Tellius. She split herself into two halves: one of chaos, and one of order. Ashera is the order half. I'm the chaos half.

Edelgard: Chaos? So, you wish to sew dissent and anarchy?

Yune: I don't particularly care. Everyone should just do what they want. That's what I plan to do.

Edelgard: You are...not what I expected of a goddess.

Yune: I get that a lot.

A:

Edelgard: Ah.

Mila: Hm?

Edelgard: It's just that...the last two goddesses I spoke to had the appearance of children. I suppose I had gotten used to that and was beginning to think that the norm. Anyway, I wish to know the perspective you hold. What are your views toward humanity?

Mila: To me, humans are helpless children. They have so much need, and lead lives filled with strife. It is my wholehearted desire to ease their lives, and to grant them happiness.

Duma: Hmph.

Edelgard: You disagree?

Duma: My sister understands nothing of the needs of humans. If they are given everything without any effort of their own, it cannot lead them to happiness. It nourishes their greed and discontent. They are at peace for but a moment, and then they see or imagine what they do not have, and burn with desire once more. They desire everything and value nothing. It is only when a human has earned something through his own effort and has overcome strife that a human finds contentment in what he has gained. As such, making every desire easily accessible to humans does nothing but harm them in the end. That is why the best thing we gods can do is to provide challenges for humans to overcome, so that by their own strength they can grow, and thereby find true contentment.

Mila: Why must you always promote strife, Brother? Can you not see the simple truth that kindness and gentleness soothe a broken spirit, and give hope to the downcast? How many humans have died under your harsh rule? How many have turned their eyes to you, searching for love and mercy, only to be met with cold indifference? How many have starved because you would not bless the land, or have killed one another because resources were too scarce? How many have served strength to the detriment of those born with frail bodies, or sightless eyes, or any other form of disadvantage?

Duma: All humans are born frail and weak. All humans have the capacity to improve their lives themselves through overcoming hardship. What becomes of them, however, if everything is given to them without any effort required on their part? They will never reach their potential. They will become vile, feeling entitled to anything and everything -- even things which others hold which they are jealous of. You criticize my rule of Rigel, but tell me, dear sister, what is the quality of the humans over which you rule? Are your kings and nobles known for their strength of character and strength of arms, or for their endless thirst for power and pleasure? When hardship presents itself in ways even you cannot prevent, do the humans of Zofia stand strong and overcome them, or do they crumble and whine over the smallest inconvenience? Zofia's humans claim that they somehow deserve every pleasure, despite having done nothing to earn it, and are incapable of handling any hardship on their own. By contrast, the humans who live in Rigel are strong. They have grown from mewling babes into self-sufficient adults. The same cannot be said of those who reside under your excessive providence. You coddle them, and they remain mewling babes. It is no wonder you see them as children, as you give them no chance to grow!

Mila: At least the people of Zofia live! How can you claim my way to be worse than your own when the people of Rigel lie sick and dying from the unforgiving lands you leave them to?

Duma: The people of Rigel are not so weak as the humans you are used to. You treat them as helpless, but they only become so when you grant their every need and desire! You are keeping the humans of Zofia from reaching any kind of potential! You are the reason why they are so weak! Is it not more cruel to limit a child's growth than to ignore a child's selfish demands?

Edelgard: Even the gods themselves cannot agree on their role in relation to humanity.

S:

Sothis: Well? Have you found enlightenment in speaking with the gods?

Edelgard: Not in the way in which you jest, but...yes. I believe I have gained a more complete understanding.

Sothis: And what is it that you have learned?

Edelgard: After speaking with several deities, I have come to the staunch conclusion that your kind and mine do not belong together. My resolution has been hardened.

Sothis: Oh?

Edelgard: There was no consensus on how humanity is to be ruled, even among gods who are close to one another. Their views were more varied than I had imagined. Each position was flawed in some way. Those flaws would harm humanity in one way or another, whether it led to famines or treachery, tyranny or anarchy. The gods do what they think is best and humanity has no choice but to accept the consequences decided by another. It is better that the gods keep to themselves, and that humans decide their own fates.

Sothis: At least you are better at thinking things through. But there is still something that you have not considered.

Edelgard: What is that?

Sothis: The gods created humans. And not only they, but all things. Without us, you would have no world in which to live, not to mention that you would not exist. If we left you to your own devices, then you would never be in the first place.

Edelgard: ...

Sothis: It is only natural for you to want independence, but you should not forget where you came from. You certainly are ungrateful...but you are also clearly resolute. I will not stop you from creating the Fodlan which you envision. However, in this world you will make, I wonder if someday, someone will see you as you see me.

THE END

Edit: After reading through all of the FB supports, I'd say that Lysithia's was the best one. It incorporated so many other characters, and helped both explain and advance Fjorm's personal story. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Lysithia and Fjorm unit somewhere down the line. Of course, we may also see an Edelgard and Lissa unit, and/or a Dimitri and Lif unit, too. Anyway, the next best was probably Dimitri's, followed by Claude's, and then Edelgard's. Dimitri's was simple, but it worked very well for him. Claude's had a vast cast, which was great, but minimal interaction, which wasn't. It felt like it didn't really achieve anything, much like Edelgard's. However, Dimitri speaking with Lif made so much sense on so many levels (Dimitri's constantly haunted by the dead, and Lif both goes through the same thing, and is dead, himself, while also having served the goddess of death directly) which is what pushed it to 2nd place for me. It felt like it helped both characters, even though there were only 2 of them. In fact, it kind of felt like there needed to be only two of them, though speaking with Hel herself, and possibly Thrasir, may have also worked. It still wasn't as high in quality as Lysithia's, though. That's my take.

Edited by Mercakete

All I have is the get Lysithea's bond to 3500. I wish you got something better for making it all the way to the end. I don't think there's another cutscene. It's been a long time since I maxed everyone's bond in forging bonds.

On 8/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, Fabulously Olivier said:

Hide contents

Book 2 was a disgrace.

You say that as if the rest weren't/aren't.

As for the convos, echoing the sentiments on Edelgard's. I liked Dimitri's, and Lysithea's were pretty good too. I kind of which Claude's had had more Claude in them. They were basically the villain talks for a bit, then Claude says, "I see. That's interesting."

I agree with Lysithea having the Best conversations, I like all of them, but Lysithea really offer the Best overall experience; in comparison Edelgard's feels like it needed extra dialogue because of how Lissa-centric ended up being despite how the concept present itself to make people like Alm, Celica or Micaiah appear; Claude's had very limited interaction in his own (though having villains talking is definitely something quite appealing) and Dimitri's, like everything about him, your enjoyment depends of how much you actually love the man.

Edited by Troykv

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

I agree with Lysithea having the Best conversations, I like all of them, but Lysithea really offer the Best overall experience; in comparison Edelgard's feels like it needed extra dialogue because of how Lissa-centric ended up being despite how the concept present itself to make people like Alm, Celica or Micaiah appear; Claude's had very limited interaction in his own (though having villains talking is definitely something quite appealing) and Dimitri's, like everything about him, your enjoyment depends of how much you actually love the man.

I found it amusing that Claude would praise the likes of Narcian for their tactical prowess. Claude is a lot smarter and more moral than those clowns so it was funny how he was being humbled by them. 

8 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I found it amusing that Claude would praise the likes of Narcian for their tactical prowess. Claude is a lot smarter and more moral than those clowns so it was funny how he was being humbled by them. 

In the end it was all part of his plan, just to know better how the wicked work, this knowledge works pretty well for both sides of the conflict.

Edited by Troykv

12 minutes ago, Troykv said:

In the end it was all part of his plan, just to know better how the wicked work, this knowledge works pretty well for both sides of the conflict.

I thought the whole conversations were about showing that Claude himself uses dirty tactics but it exaggerates them by putting him with people much worse than him. Instead he should have talked with Micaiah and Soren instead. 

52 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

I thought the whole conversations were about showing that Claude himself uses dirty tactics but it exaggerates them by putting him with people much worse than him. Instead he should have talked with Micaiah and Soren instead. 

Claude needs to talk to Robin too so he can learn about the time that the latter committed a war crime of a tactic against the Valmese fleet.