New Heroes & Ascended Ishtar

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Awww shit. Now I have something to be upset about on this banner. You're right, Arthur totally should have had a pony. Now he needs to join Azelle and Miranda in the "someone stole my horse" club.

Blame Eliwood for hogging all of the horses. He's the only unit that gains a horse on promotion that has his horse in his normal version.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

I have to note that their calling her Queen of Friege, which might seem obvious at an overview, but she's actually more often referred to as Hilda of Chronos in Genealogy, while also having Valtomer blood, leading me rather confused as to her actual origins. I thought maybe she was genuinely a Miletos queen in her own right that married into another (newly established) royal family.

And having Daein holy blood to boot due to a glitch.

I always assumed she was one of Victor's bastards since I believe its stated that Azelle wasn't the only one. This would make Julius and Ishtar cousins though. Ewwwww. 

8 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

There's no point running Spd/Res Menace on her over the easier to get Atk/Spd Menace (or the strictly better Spd/Def Menace once it's released).

Woops. Had a brain fart at midnight. I guess Hilda: Queen of Friege will have to wait for her ideal C skill to be available.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

And having Daein holy blood to boot due to a glitch.

I always assumed she was one of Victor's bastards since I believe its stated that Azelle wasn't the only one. This would make Julius and Ishtar cousins though. Ewwwww. 

My hevaens! Incest in Jugdral! Perish the thought.

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Blame Eliwood for hogging all of the horses. He's the only unit that gains a horse on promotion that has his horse in his normal version.

Really, only Eliwood? Huh well they didn't give it to Mist or Lachesis, and I suppose Three Houses characters don't count, so I suppose you're right. Oh wait, they have Python as bow cavalry despite being infantry bow like Leon. Guess he's secretly friends with Eliwood.

Hector and Amelia also get to be armoured units despite only having them on promotion (and only one of several possible promotions for Amelia, which is actually a shame since her base form is lance infantry which is in shortest supply amoungst the canon movement+weapon types). There's also quite a few mercenaries that use axes they gain on promotion to Hero, so it's certainly not something they're against doing.

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Really, only Eliwood? Huh well they didn't give it to Mist or Lachesis, and I suppose Three Houses characters don't count, so I suppose you're right. Oh wait, they have Python as bow cavalry despite being infantry bow like Leon. Guess he's secretly friends with Eliwood.

Hector and Amelia also get to be armoured units despite only having them on promotion (and only one of several possible promotions for Amelia, which is actually a shame since her base form is lance infantry which is in shortest supply amoungst the canon movement+weapon types). There's also quite a few mercenaries that use axes they gain on promotion to Hero, so it's certainly not something they're against doing.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

The other promoted-beyond-their-default-class-in-their-original-version units don't have secret stashes of horses, though.

12 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The kid of Julius and Ishtar would no doubt end up with a gigantic habsburg jaw.

Well it's two different branches of incest. A hypthetical Julius Ishtar kid (if Hilda is Victor's daughter) would be

25% Victor

25% Cigyun

12.5% Prince Kurt

12.5% Whatever noble is Hilda's mother

12.5% Reptor

12.5% Mrs Reptor (I asusme she looks like Ishtar with a monocle)

Compare Julius himself who is 50% Cigyun. Somewhat amusingly, such a child would be heavily related to Saias, who is also 25% Victor and 25% Cigyun (though Saias is their grandchild while Julishtar is their great grandchild).

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

The other promoted-beyond-their-default-class-in-their-original-version units don't have secret stashes of horses, though.

I think I might have edited it in afterwards, but Python does join Eliwood at least (and of course Three Houses units).

Edited by Jotari

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

My hevaens! Incest in Jugdral! Perish the thought.

I doubt it. At least by Kaga's notes, where Arvis exiled or turned into servants all of his half-siblings outside Azelle. Which means Hilda wouldn't get to boast who she is by that logic, as I doubt Arvis would rescind that decision even after becoming Emperor.

It's very likely she's his cousin as the least distant relation (making Julius and Ishtar second cousins at the worst, which means they're as related as any two random strangers so no incest), as otherwise considering the scandal surrounding Victor, if she was one of his bastard children it'd be a blemish, rather than something to be prideful, and considering just how haughty Hilda is, it'd not make sense for her then.

28 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Huh well they didn't give it to Mist or Lachesis, and I suppose Three Houses characters don't count, so I suppose you're right.

Mist did get a horse for her Day of Devotion alt though. Plus, she could get one as a Legendary when IS inevitably gives us another sword cav Legendary.

25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I doubt it. At least by Kaga's notes, where Arvis exiled or turned into servants all of his half-siblings outside Azelle. Which means Hilda wouldn't get to boast who she is by that logic, as I doubt Arvis would rescind that decision even after becoming Emperor.

It's very likely she's his cousin as the least distant relation (making Julius and Ishtar second cousins at the worst, which means they're as related as any two random strangers so no incest), as otherwise considering the scandal surrounding Victor, if she was one of his bastard children it'd be a blemish, rather than something to be prideful, and considering just how haughty Hilda is, it'd not make sense for her then.

I think the suggestion is that she's unknowingly Victor's bastard while believing she's just a Velthomer noble.

9 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Mist did get a horse for her Day of Devotion alt though. Plus, she could get one as a Legendary when IS inevitably gives us another sword cav Legendary.

Yeah a lot of characters get their promoted versions for legendries and alts. Seliph, Ephraim, Eirika, Nana to name but a few. We're talking about the default versions though, as in the first version to get into the game (that's not a seasonal) and uses the title they have in the ending of their own game. Of which only Eliwood and Python are infantry at base and cavalry in Heroes (discounting Three Houses characters). And unlike Mist, Lachesis and the lords, the chances of us getting a legendary or ascended Azelle/Miranda/Arthur are rather slim (though maybe Forseti Arthur some day! After they do Forseti Ced).

When Dwyer gets in I'm sure he'll be the inverse though, Cavalry at base but Infantry in heroes, because he was clearly designed for the Butler class yet the quirk of Fates's class layout means Butler is promoted and all child units come as tier 1.

Edited by Jotari

26 minutes ago, Jotari said:

When Dwyer gets in I'm sure he'll be the inverse though, Cavalry at base but Infantry in heroes, because he was clearly designed for the Butler class yet the quirk of Fates's class layout means Butler is promoted and all child units come as tier 1.

I’d say it’s fifty-fifty as to whether Dwyer ends up as an infantry dagger or a staff cav, mostly because it has been a suspiciously long time since the last underwhelming staff demote (Linhardt).

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I’d say it’s fifty-fifty as to whether Dwyer ends up as an infantry dagger or a staff cav, mostly because it has been a suspiciously long time since the last underwhelming staff demote (Linhardt).

Well he could be staff infantry.

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well he could be staff infantry.

I went with cav because his base class is Troubadour (since that’s the only class that can promote into Butler / Maid).

But yeah, IS can always say “fuck it” and go with infantry staff anyways like how they put Ingrid on a horse instead of a pegasus.

6 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

I went with cav because his base class is Troubadour (since that’s the only class that can promote into Butler / Maid).

But yeah, IS can always say “fuck it” and go with infantry staff anyways like how they put Ingrid on a horse instead of a pegasus.

Well that's why I brought him up in the first place. As I reckon he will be an infantry unit despite his base class in Fates being a mounted class (Troubadour). But since Butler has both staves and daggers, and his artwork depicts him with a staff, I expect he'll be a staff infantry.

4 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Interestingly, Linhardt is also the most recent colorless demote we've gotten at all, over a year ago now. Seems like they're trying to fix its low 5* rate.

For comparison, Linhardt, Natasha, Merlinus, Lena, Emmeryn, and Forrest all released in a single year.

Edited by Othin

And here I am still haven't not pulled a Linhardt. And after getting all the tickets and opening all blue and grey, still having not pulled an Ascendant either. Can't say I'm too bothered about either since decision paralysis probably means I'd just end up hoarding the Floret, but a combination of minor frittering away of orbs and the Hero Fest being surprisingly soon means I'm probably 100 orbs short of where I wanted to be.

As for FE4, I mean, Sigurd is already well on the way to gaining that jaw.

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Tinny's, Arthur's, and Ishtar's stats are unsurprising.

Even if Arthur didn't get an exclusive weapon, he at least has the highest offensive stats of all infantry green tomes. Even with just Gronnfox+ [Spd], he's still on par with Asvel, Pent, Lugh, and Legendary Celica and flat-out beats Sety. I think only Legendary Byleth and Levn are flat out better than him. That said, I think this mostly just highlights the fact that there just aren't many good exclusive weapons among infantry green tomes.

Skasaher's stats are good for his role, but his role is garbage. His biggest problem is that his main competitor is Bride Oboro, who has +1/-1/+7/-1/-6 relative to him after Dragonflowers, which is literally the exact same as him except not slow (and she even has the exact same weapon).

Slow melee tanks really need some better options, namely for their B skill since they're forced to either give up their B slot for Quick Riposte or give up a stat-boosting skill to run Quick Riposte in the Sacred Seal slot. I think they should release something similar to Pastel Poleaxe's effect for infantry sword, lance, and axe (numbers adjustable, but you get the idea):

If unit's Def > foe's Def and foe initiates combat, neutralizes effects that prevent unit's follow-up attacks, unit makes a guaranteed follow-up attack, and reduces damage from foe's attacks by 20% of unit's Def (excluding area-of-effect Specials).

I think something like this would significantly help bulky melee infantry actually remain relevant, especially with more skills being released that ignore percentage damage reduction. That said, this wouldn't change the fact that Oboro is still better than him.

Hilda:

Reveal hidden contents

Okay, I'm legitimately surprised that they gave her such a good weapon.

Ideally, she should probably replace her C skill with Spd/Def Menace once the skill is released.

There's no point running Spd/Res Menace on her over the easier to get Atk/Spd Menace (or the strictly better Spd/Def Menace once it's released).

Spd/Res Menace overlaps with the debuffs on her weapon and grants less useful buffs, resulting in a total gain of +6/+12/+0/+6 relative to having no C skill with a maximum of +12/+12/+6/+6 with a +6 buff to all stats provided by allies.

In comparison, Atk/Spd Menace grants +12/+12/+0/+0 (maximum +12/+12/+6/+6), and Spd/Def Menace grants +12/+12/+6/+0 (maximum +18/+12/+6/+6).

EDIT: Looking through the datamine, the internal names of some of the characters amuse me.

Tinny, whose official name from previous publications is spelled "Teeny" now has the internal name "Tiny". This is actually kind of hilarious. ウケる~

Hilda, whose official name from previous publications is spelled "Hilda", manages to avoid having the same internal name as the other Hilda by having it now spelled "Gilda", presumably using the Spanish pronunciation of the name.

The hypothetical skill you mentioned seems awfully similar to Blue Lion's Rule, only with Null Follow-up and slightly less damage reduction.

Also for what its worth, Oboro is a five star locked seasonal. Personally, I would take Scathach's greater availibility over her better statline, though I will not be looking into seriously investing into him either way until a better doubling skill than Quick Riposte is introduced for infantry units. At the very least, he's got a really good attack stat with a super asset, so he could be a possible budget check to Fallen Edelgard in Arena assault.

Edited by 5PointGordin

33 minutes ago, 5PointGordin said:

The hypothetical skill you mentioned seems awfully similar to Blue Lion's Rule, only with Null Follow-up and slightly less damage reduction.

Blue Lion Rule is percentage damage reduction, whereas Pastel Poleaxe's effect is flat damage reduction. It's the same effect as Shield Pulse's 5 damage reduction except the flat number is based on the unit's Def stat instead of being a fixed value.

Flat damage reduction has two specific interactions that are distinct from percentage damage reduction:

1. Flat damage reduction isn't nullified by Deadeye, etc.
  2. Flat damage reduction is applied after percentage damage reduction. This means if the unit has both, enemy damage is first mitigated by Def, then by percentage damage reduction, then once again by flat damage reduction. This makes flat damage reduction extremely powerful when the unit also has a source of percentage damage reduction.

Flat damage reduction's primary drawback is the fact that on its own, it's weaker than percentage damage reduction on its own, and it's also weaker than percentage damage reduction the more damage the opponent deals.

On 4/17/2022 at 12:24 AM, Ice Dragon said:

Fiery Bolganone is "嘲謔ボルガノン" (chōgyaku boruganon), "Sadistic Bolganone". "嘲謔" (chōgyaku) is a novel compound word composed of "嘲る" (azakeru), "to ridicule", and "謔れる" (tawamureru), "to be amused" (also "to play at" or "to joke"), and I'm interpreting it as "finding enjoyment in causing torment".

Added translation note for Fiery Bolganone.

• 2 weeks later...

In a rather weirdly humanizing moment it seems Hilda took to drinking after the events of gen2

You again? You should know better than to bother someone who is drowning their sorrows.
Your needs do not concern me. I am but a widow wishing to grieve in peace at the bottom of her bottle.
My husband, Bloom, and my son, Ishtore, both slain by the resistance... Ulster stolen. How much must I bear?
All that remains of House Friege are myself and Ishtar...and it's all the fault of that insipid brat Seliph!
Does my tortured soul please you? I am not here to be your entertainment. Begone before I lose my temper...