Should Fire Emblem Do Japan Again?

Should Fire Emblem go for a Japanese setting again?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should they?

• Yeah, I'd like to see it
    • Ew. No.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Okay, no context was given, but... lol it's an old woman saying that Arara, so seeing it translated as bro is... XD

So it is about sweet potatoes then due to 焼き芋? Or why the parenthesis there?

That's (phonetically rendered Romanji) Yaki Imo, with Yaki being fried (like Yakisoba) and Imo being sweet potato. Regular potatoes are Jyagaimo. So it looks as if Sweet Potatoes are the base noun in Japanese with regular potatoes being the modified noun (so, like in Japanese it's sweet potatoes and unsweet potatoes).

6 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Despite never having played Genealogy, I went through a phase when I was really into Irish history and mythology and so I was able to recognize quite a bit of the references that are in Genealogy and Thracia. The Norse elements interwoven into the Irish also made plenty of sense to me, I'm pretty sure the two cultures interacted quite a bit in their history. There are some games in which the real-life cultural references are baked very deeply into the world so you can't ignore it (like in Fates and Heroes and even 3H) while other continents are a bit harder to figure out (what real life culture is Tellius even based on anyway). But Genealogy is pretty heavily Irish and Norse, so Isaach turning Japanese would be odd.

Yeah, but let's not forget this is also the game that randomly threw in a guy called Muhammed in the midst of all those names XD Wonder if that one will make it through the hypothetical localization.

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's (phonetically rendered Romanji) Yaki Imo, with Yaki being fried (like Yakisoba) and Imo being sweet potato. Regular potatoes are Jyagaimo. So it looks as if Sweet Potatoes are the base noun in Japanese with regular potatoes being the modified noun (so, like in Japanese it's sweet potatoes and unsweet potatoes).

Figured as much. I brought it up the sweet was not in the word itself, so it's down to context then.

In fact, full sentence would be in the likes of "one freshly baked sweet potato" due to Yakitate, thanks Yakitate Japan for teaching me that, considering the full sentence and all that.

Yeah, but let's not forget this is also the game that randomly threw in a guy called Muhammed in the midst of all those names XD Wonder if that one will make it through the hypothetical localization.

Considering Muhammad is one of the most common names used in the world, I'd hope there'd be no qualms on keeping it. Since it's not considered a taboo to name children after it unlike, say, non-Iberians do with Jesus.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Figured as much. I brought it up the sweet was not in the word itself, so it's down to context then.

In fact, full sentence would be in the likes of "one freshly baked sweet potato" due to Yakitate, thanks Yakitate Japan for teaching me that, considering the full sentence and all that.

Considering Muhammad is one of the most common names used in the world, I'd hope there'd be no qualms on keeping it. Since it's not considered a taboo to name children after it unlike, say, non-Iberians do with Jesus.

Still random as all hell to throw into Jugdral.

25 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Forgot about him. I guess that's either one name that'll be changed in localization to fit the rest of the setting, or this poor fucker just got lost traveling and ended up in Jugdral and settled down there and that's his backstory.

Even more random that he just straight up reuses Chagall's portrait.

I suppose there's no other Arabic or Middle Eastern name or stuff in the Jugdral games? Gonna have to look...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Even more random that he just straight up reuses Chagall's portrait.

I suppose there's no other Arabic or Middle Eastern name or stuff in the Jugdral games? Gonna have to look...

They could use the weirdness as an opportunity to make him a foreigner. Though I have a gut instinct they might just leave his face alone and redesign Chagall, while I can't think of any examples, I'm pretty sure they have done that in the past, left the minor character with the old design and redesigned the major character. Oh, I guess Deen  is a pretty good example (and not a redesign I particularly like). Portraits in general would be really interesting for Genealogy, have they have committed to unique designs to everyone for the past twenty years or so, but Genealogy has so many minor bosses of no consequence (and quite a few major bosses to boot, though most of them are unique already) that giving them all a unique face would be quite a bit of work (I could see them actually keeping that one comb over squinty eye portrait for each of the bosses with it and turn it into some kind of joke). Using Muhammed's name as an excuse to throw a random middle eastern face in there might be a blessing for the character designers.

I'm most curious to see how they'd handle Coulter's face, because, as I've noted in the past, he has two completely separate shared-generic-portraits that look nothing alike in the two games he's in.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Metal Flash said:

I would like to see another country based on Japan, more Eastern inspired nations in FE aside from Egypt would be nice to see, really.

I wouldn't really call Egypt east. Middle East at best (and even that is purely a political and not geographical categorization).

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'm most curious to see how they'd handle Coulter's face, because, as I've noted in the past, he has two completely separate shared-generic-portraits that look nothing alike in the two games he's in.

I would expect that both Jugdral games would use the same art style in remakes, not unlike how the Archanea games were, so Coulter will likely just have a single new appearance used in both.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I wouldn't really call Egypt east. Middle East at best (and even that is purely a political and not geographical categorization).

Fair point, it just seems to be the main "eastern" nation people take inspiration from. 

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I would expect that both Jugdral games would use the same art style in remakes, not unlike how the Archanea games were, so Coulter will likely just have a single new appearance used in both.

Well that's if both end up getting remade. Genealogy I'm fairly confident will get a remake eventually, soon if their smart enough to take advantage of Three Houses hype given their similar concepts. But Thracia, I'm not nearly as hopeful for. It's always been the odd duck of the series, not only because of it's complete user unfriendly game, but also because it was a SNES game released in 1999! I don't think it gathered that strong of a fanbase even in Japan. If I were a betting man I'd say they'll give use a Genealogy remake next and then a Binding Blade, with Thracia eventually being included in the distant future when it's easy, safe and convenient, possibly on a separate console.

I still hope Coulter will have the same general appearance though, just because I do expect them to care that much. Shadows of Valentia was any things, but unfaithful to the source material was not one of them.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well that's if both end up getting remade. Genealogy I'm fairly confident will get a remake eventually, soon if their smart enough to take advantage of Three Houses hype given their similar concepts. But Thracia, I'm not nearly as hopeful for. It's always been the odd duck of the series, not only because of it's complete user unfriendly game, but also because it was a SNES game released in 1999! I don't think it gathered that strong of a fanbase even in Japan. If I were a betting man I'd say they'll give use a Genealogy remake next and then a Binding Blade, with Thracia eventually being included in the distant future when it's easy, safe and convenient, possibly on a separate console.

I still hope Coulter will have the same general appearance though, just because I do expect them to care that much. Shadows of Valentia was any things, but unfaithful to the source material was not one of them.

If I recall, taking into account Japanese sales only, it's in between the Tellius games, so it's not in absolute last place. It also got many rereleases through the virtual consoles / eshops, so it's not like it remained in obscurity. So at least as Japan itself is concerned, they can afford a remake.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

36 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If I recall, taking into account Japanese sales only, it's in between the Tellius games, so it's not in absolute last place. It also got many rereleases through the virtual consoles / eshops, so it's not like it remained in obscurity. So at least as Japan itself is concerned, they can afford a remake.

Where are you getting those numbers? VGSales has it as last by quite a bit, of course VGSales are also notoriously unreliable as far as sales calculations go (it has Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones ahead of Old Mystery which I know isn't true).

We'll certainly see it if a Genealogy remake ends up being a big hit (which it might just end up being, as original Genealogy was a little bit shot in the foot being a SNES game released around the time of the N64),

23 hours ago, Jotari said:

I wonder if the arena would have been a standard part of the series if not for that early Greco Roman flair.

Good point. Not to mention plenty of characters (Caesar, Minerva, Palla, Catria, Astram, Midia, Cornelius, Malledus, Medeus), weapons (Parthia, Mercurius, Gradivus), and locations (Thabes, Aurelis, Altea) whose names sound very Latin-inspired. I daresay the world of Archanea feels more "Roman Empire" than it does "Dark Ages".

On 7/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, Zapp Branniglenn said:

But when it's time for Corrin to get his (literal) first taste of Japan, and he gets potatoes instead, it demonstrates an unwillingness to try. I would not be upset if he were handed a sticky sweet rice ball.

I would accept this on one condition: the localization team must translate "sticky-sweet rice ball" into "delicious jelly-filled doughnut".

5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Where are you getting those numbers? VGSales has it as last by quite a bit, of course VGSales are also notoriously unreliable as far as sales calculations go (it has Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones ahead of Old Mystery which I know isn't true).

We'll certainly see it if a Genealogy remake ends up being a big hit (which it might just end up being, as original Genealogy was a little bit shot in the foot being a SNES game released around the time of the N64),

It does says it adds VGChartz, which are lifetime sales. It's possible it includes sales on the Wii U eShop.

For that matter, Thracia 776 is at 0.26m in VGChartz, much higher than the 0.16 and 0.17 of Japan Tellius sales.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It does says it adds VGChartz, which are lifetime sales. It's possible it includes sales on the Wii U eShop.

For that matter, Thracia 776 is at 0.26m in VGChartz, much higher than the 0.16 and 0.17 of Japan Tellius sales.

This is what I got by quickly googling

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

Which puts Tellius as significantly higher than Thracia.

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

This is what I got by quickly googling

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Fire_Emblem

Which puts Tellius as significantly higher than Thracia.

Like the chart says, it took the numbers from the Games Data Library and added VGChartz to those with the asterisk. Notice Thracia doesn't have it, which is here:

https://www.vgchartz.com/game/3338/fire-emblem-thracia-776/sales

So in total would be ~0.41m, barely higher than RD's international sales.

But it's true, all these numbers are hard to corroborate to tell if it's true or not.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

53 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Good point. Not to mention plenty of characters (Caesar, Minerva, Palla, Catria, Astram, Midia, Cornelius, Malledus, Medeus), weapons (Parthia, Mercurius, Gradivus), and locations (Thabes, Aurelis, Altea) whose names sound very Latin-inspired. I daresay the world of Archanea feels more "Roman Empire" than it does "Dark Ages".

I would accept this on one condition: the localization team must translate "sticky-sweet rice ball" into "delicious jelly-filled doughnut".

It is still very much a flair though. Nothing really seems to have been taken from Rome as a state or culture. Which would be everything centering around a single empire with a focus of importance on citizenship and militarism. Civil War and succession disputes also figured very heavily into Rome's overall identity. People might point to Archanea as it's the biggest nation on the continent, but it's relationship with the other nations doesn't really seem to be similar to Rome and it's other states, though it's also hard to tell as it's dismantled before the story begins.

The setting that seems most similar to Rome actually seems to be Fodlan, particularly with how it views its foreign nations.

34 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Like the chart says, it took the numbers from the Games Data Library and added VGChartz to those with the asterisk. Notice Thracia doesn't have it, which is here:

https://www.vgchartz.com/game/3338/fire-emblem-thracia-776/sales

So in total would be ~0.41m, barely higher than RD's international sales.

But it's true, all these numbers are hard to corroborate to tell if it's true or not.

Well one rather verifiable way of gauging its success is looking at how Nintendo/IS treat it itself. By which I mean how they figure Thracia's content into things like Cipher and Heroes. Where it seems to be, by a country mile, the least represented title in the series. So it doesn't seem like they view it as something many fans are interested in.

Edited by Jotari

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind if they revisit Hoshido and Nohr. I find the kitsune, wolfskin and some of the aesthetic interesting and there's room to flesh more their world. Thoug, it would need to be an  unrelated story, something like 1000+ years later. 

Edited by genesis

On 7/24/2022 at 6:13 AM, Samz707 said:

Only if it's done similar to FE7 or Three Houses treated it's setting, if they go full weeb again then I really wouldn't.

How did they go weeb with Hoshido?

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

How did they go weeb with Hoshido?

You have Heal Staves that send Cherry Blossoms everywhere and Kagero's design.

It doesn't look good IMO and it feels more like someone's JRPG idea of Japan from what I've seen than the relatively historical inspired FE has been. (As well as just a Heal Stave that sends Cherry Blossoms everywhere being incredibly out of place.) 

Edited by Samz707

should FE do japan? Yes, if it doesnt have anything to do with Fateslandia.

No, if we're going back to fateslandia.

better yet, just dont make it seem like Japan vs (insert some overused nation or european culture here). it feels forced to the point like the game ask us: "are you weeb? then choose this side thats full of girly girl wearing japanese war attire thats also modest, prim and proper". 

because we dont see the reverse in other FE games afaik.

3 hours ago, joevar said:

better yet, just dont make it seem like Japan vs (insert some overused nation or european culture here). it feels forced to the point like the game ask us: "are you weeb? then choose this side thats full of girly girl wearing japanese war attire thats also modest, prim and proper".

What about Japan vs Persia? I'd put that game on a cracker. The Virgin Girly Shrine Maiden vs The Chad Jihadist Imam.

I demand camels cavaliers in my Fire Emblem.

5 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I demand camels cavaliers in my Fire Emblem.

They do that and they'll have a tonne of desert maps to justify a niche over horses. Are you really prepared for that?