Nintendo Direct 9/13/22

Fabulously Olivier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, the Direct was fairly solid with some good titles showcased. I'm sure the new Fire Emblem will be received well due to the popularity of Heroes and since its the new mainline game.

As for further observations from the trailer...
-- Gauntlets/Fists are back.
-- I have a feeling the past "Hero Characters/Emblems" will be the "Pair Up/Adjutants" for Engage. // Also, there may be a fusion/transformation sequence for some stuff?
-- Yeah, there's definitely a hub area. I saw Marth standing around while the MC was exploring, and the mini-map seemed to solidify its existence for me.
-- ...Maybe the game might be good? It's just the initial impressions/aesthetics is not selling it for me.

Just now, joevar said:

honestly, the only thing that actually makes me hate this trailer is how they try to hard to sell Marth all over again.

seriously, theres even Grima-like dragon there. FE is not a continuos series, but its like marth is the progenitor of all heroic. and the new protag just know it somehow he's the big shot

If I remember correctly from the leaks, the game was meant to be a celebration of Fire Emblem as a franchise, so that's why there's so many callbacks and bringing back legacy characters.

2 minutes ago, Florete said:

Looks like Engage has no weapon triangle again. Unfortunate.

But it also looks like Engage doesn't have a significant pick-a-path system like Fates and TH. Fortunate.

I think the WT is back. At about 1:39 in the trailer, Alear goes up against a Corrupted and there are up and down arrows indicating that the WT is present.

Just now, Azz said:

I think the WT is back. At about 1:39 in the trailer, Alear goes up against a Corrupted and there are up and down arrows indicating that the WT is present.

Oh, I missed that. I didn't see anything like that in the actual combat so I assumed it was still gone.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I can't wait for more support conversations with other lords who have accomplished as much as Marth, if not more, to just praise him as the greatest evarrrr while he humbly insists he's not all that. I hated that shit in FEW.

you just add another reason for me to dislike warrior. lol

why not just make new marth game at this point, smh.. i might even play it if that were to happen. sequel is nice afterall. but pretending like all of this is one big sequel/continuation despite not, thats kinda weird

------------------------------------------------

just realized, Bayonetta 3 really cherry picked the scene they show in Direct huh? i mean, its the horniest nintendo game, everyone knows it, its part of its selling point. gotta keep the family-friendly-vibe in check i guess.

Front mission remake is sweet, more SRPG for switch. they remake the graphic but wish the character design got a remake too. but no big deal.

Xenoblade 3 DLC hero is completely new character just as i had hoped. and swimsuit too, another prediction come true

23 minutes ago, Azz said:

Plus it looks beautiful even with the heavy 'animu' influence.

My thoughts exactly. Studio Gust is putting in work, and I just it doesn't draing too many resources from their own projects.

8 minutes ago, Sire said:

-- Yeah, there's definitely a hub area. I saw Marth standing around while the MC was exploring, and the mini-map seemed to solidify its existence for me.

I wonder if the hub will be justified this time: I saw shops and the like so it's probably not a moving camp like in Hopes, but if the major conflicts take place around the central point it could make more sense than going back to Garreg Mach each month. I think Hopes had a fair compromise between "letting you get to know everyone" and "don't take up too much time between chapters" so that could return too.

Also, it seems we're getting at least 12 reps from past games, with one from each (not counting remakes or Archanea sequels):

If the above doesn't load:

Spoiler

Marth, Celica, Sigurd, Leif, Roy, Lyn, Eirika, Brave Ike, Micaiah, Legendary Lucina, F!Corrin and M!Byleth!

My reaction to the direct as a whole: I really need to stop wasting my time by watching these things in full. If I just waited for the specific trailers and announcements that I care about, it'd take me under ten minutes.

My reaction to Fire Emblem Engage: well, I'm not really feeling it so far, but I'm going to wait until we get more information rather than jumping to conclusions. It didn't feel as if we saw enough here to really have a strong grasp of how it will play. I'm not thrilled by the whole "summon characters from old games" thing, but I'm not ready to completely write the game off yet.

Well I will take Engage, I skipped the leaks so I am not let down over it and seeing Sigurd in the trailer was nice and gives me slight hope of an FE 4 remake down the line since Sigurd now has been made ready for it.  I was one of the few people who actually gave TMS a chance and actually really enjoyed it, so I will give Engage the same chance.

1 minute ago, lenticular said:

My reaction to the direct as a whole: I really need to stop wasting my time by watching these things in full. If I just waited for the specific trailers and announcements that I care about, it'd take me under ten minutes.

My reaction to Fire Emblem Engage: well, I'm not really feeling it so far, but I'm going to wait until we get more information rather than jumping to conclusions. It didn't feel as if we saw enough here to really have a strong grasp of how it will play. I'm not thrilled by the whole "summon characters from old games" thing, but I'm not ready to completely write the game off yet.

I just hope the characters are actual characters and not just gimmicks. Marth is in that cutscene at the end, but my hopes aren't high for the others.

But if there are only 12 "Emblems" (plus one or two villain ones) and the new cast is fairly small... well, then there's a chance!

As for the rest of the Direct, while the only games that stood out to me are this and the Zelda teaser, there was a lot of stuff here overall and I'm sure everyone that isn't a Metroid fan came away with something to be happy about, at the very least.

Here’s how I would’ve made that better, as far as brand-new announcements that I could think of (sorry for the last-minute edit):

• Fire Emblem Echoes: Genealogy of the Holy War
  • Xenoblade 3 Expansion
  • Splatoon 3 Splatfest
  • Octopath II
  • Theatrhytm: Final Bar Line
  • NSO N64 games + Game Boy and GBA
  • Battle League Update
  • Nintendo Switch Sports: Golf update
  • Pikmin 4
  • Booster Course Pass
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Return to Dream Land Deluxe
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

It is worth noting that in the original post where we got the screenshots leak from 3 months ago, there was a mention that a FE4 remake was already in development, although nothing really more than just mentioning it exists.

It would not really be that surprising to me if the FE4 remake is sometime in the future (although how close that would be is hard to tell).

22 minutes ago, Sire said:

If I remember correctly from the leaks, the game was meant to be a celebration of Fire Emblem as a franchise, so that's why there's so many callbacks and bringing back legacy characters.

i've read that too. and iirc they miss the timing. but ---

5 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

Marth is in that cutscene at the end, but my hopes aren't high for the others.

--.. look at that marth faces in trailer thumbnail. his face is the BIGgest. thats a yellow (if not red) flag already. on flip side, at least those 12 character at least will be rendered in HD while talking. and that fusion thing is worrying too

Happy about the direct. New FE, Pikmin 4, Kirby Dreamland remake and we even got a date for BOTW 2 (now name Tears of the Kingdom).

Good surprises here and there too. From SquareEnix (New Theatrythm and OctopathTraveler2), Atelier Ryza 3, RainCode and even Tales Of Symphonia got a remaster?

I'm stocked.

I don't know where else to put this, but I looked at the art again and was able to pick out the lineup of Engage heroes with some interesting Easter Eggs in their costumes.

• OG boxart Marth
  • Celica
  • Sigurd
  • Leif
  • Roy
  • Lyn
  • Eirika
  • Brave Ike
  • Micaiah
  • Legendary Lucina (with the mask)
  • Corrin
  • Byleth

Yet the Marth that appears in battle features the modern design? Jewelry is weird.

Edited by Morgan--Grandmaster

16 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

It is worth noting that in the original post where we got the screenshots leak from 3 months ago, there was a mention that a FE4 remake was already in development, although nothing really more than just mentioning it exists.

It would not really be that surprising to me if the FE4 remake is sometime in the future (although how close that would be is hard to tell).

I'm trying to remember if that was in the leak that originated from the Chinese boards it came from, or that was just something someone made up later because that happens all the time. That whole thing was kind of a mess with multiple people trying to get in on it

Edited by Aiddon

Do you guys think that the reason they try to sell Marth so hard is because there is a female-lookalike of the main character, and since Marth has Lucina as his look-alike, it is natural to match him with the male protag and Lucina with the female protag?

And what is the hate with Marth anyway? I missed the forums during Warriors and Mirage.

13 minutes ago, False Prophet said:

And what is the hate with Marth anyway? I missed the forums during Warriors and Mirage.

It’s more that I’d rather the main character interact with people instead of 12 ghost monopolizing their time, reflecting how familiar this is. Even as an Ike fan, I’m not excited to see him here either.

Oh boy, Fire Emblem! And Zelda! My favorites!

Starting with the elephant in the room, the Fire Emblem x Colgate crossover is very real, and that is both hilarious and awesome. I'll be looking forward to the new Lord Pair-Up mechanic; it looks like a subtle return of Einherjar, but implemented in a far different way. Speaking of Lords, the characters missing from the window wheel at the beginning of the trailer are:

Spoiler
  • Alm
  • Seliph
  • Eliwood
  • Hector
  • Ephraim
  • Chrom
  • Edelgard
  • Dimitri
  • Claude

It's also interesting to note that Ike and Lucina are wearing their Brave outfits from Heroes. I wonder if Engage will tie into Heroes in any way? That would be neat.

~

Tears of the Kingdom looks as fantastic as I would have expected, and I love that new subtitle. We can finally call it something other than BotW2. 

Also, I didn't know Crisis Core Reunion was coming to Switch... and not as a cloud version. Hell yeah.

I didn't watch the Direct, I was playing games and forgot about it. I've just skimmed the headlines.

Reposting what I typed elsewhere:

"New lighthearted grand crossover FE? Okay. I'll get it out of tradition, but I think I'll wait for a remake before attempting to put my heart back into the franchise. I don't care if it's Jugdral, Elibe, a third remake of FE1, Simultaneous Stones, Radical Redo of Radiance and Radiant; anything familiar.

Seeing it listed that Rune Factory 3 is getting an HD port is nice. Although I wouldn't be getting it, since the old playable male & female candidates thing isn't exactly working for me now. Maybe RF2 will follow at some point, it might be tolerable even if RF1 isn't. Frontier and Tides of Destiny are 3D, making more intensive to HD. Marvelous having to announce another Rune Factory without ceremony at the end might be because of all the flak RF5 has gotten, although the game has also been out for over a year in Japan, maybe it was just the right time too. Curiously, they didn't say "Rune Factory 6", so maybe it's another HD port? Or maybe it's the SRW-styled intraseries crossover I've been pipe-dreaming about. 

On a related note, A Wonderful Life getting a remake under the Story of Seasons renaming is good. I know the game has quite some popularity within the old fanbase. Letting you marry queer is expected, letting you go nonbinary on the gender wasn't and excellently inclusive! -I wouldn't be getting the game though, it's a little slow from what I remember, and the whole "circle of life" aspect doesn't mix well with my mental health. It gets my full endorsement however.

I guess I'll try the Front Mission remakes, maybe Octopath Traveler II if the characters are better integrated and the gameplay less stiff. Breath of the Wild: Tears of the Kingdom, why not? I didn't love BotW, and I didn't get into its story at all, but I didn't dislike it. -And where is Advance Wars? Please take this unexpected extra time and add Dual Strike to Re-Boot Camp if you're delaying for this long."

I'll add that while FE Heroes proved wholly incompatible with me, I liked TMS, so any superficial resemblances there doesn't bother me. I didn't bother looking at the leaks, as I naturally assume all leaks to be fake until proven otherwise, though I'm not at all bothered that it was real.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer