Japanese Fire Emblem Twitter posts

Crubat

1 minute ago, Safy said:

Also to me 3H felt more "back to the roots" while this seems to continue that Fates/Awakening style, but maybe that's just me.

HAAAARD disagree, 3H lacked a lot of what made classic FE so loved for longtime fans, while engage returns to it. Engage seems to have more varied maps with objectives to push you to rush rather than turtle. 3H to me is a just a lot of open space and not a long of strategy.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this means we'll be getting a demo soon?

8 minutes ago, Safy said:

Also to me 3H felt more "back to the roots" while this seems to continue that Fates/Awakening style, but maybe that's just me.

Gameplay wise Three Houses was more of an experimental title than either Awakening or Fates so I'd say ''going back to its roots'' would be an accurate description.

10 minutes ago, Safy said:

Funny how they say "less social sim, more gameplay" and go on to list a dozen free-time activities you can do with the others at the hub.

We saw from the Somniel video and today's Twitter post that you can still talk to others between maps, have tea time with different characters, workout with them, dress them up etc..so I think there's actually plenty of social sim mechanics in game. 

Which makes me think they're hinting at the lack of S supports which is arguably the most 'important' social mechanic for FE fans that play for the social sim aspect. Which I guess is also why they said those fans may be disappointed. It also matches with the lack of romance tag in the Japanese rating for the game. 

If it's true, it's a very strange decision to make.

Edited by zuibangde

I think here are the calculation for combat stats:

• Hit = Weapon hit + Dex * 2 + Lck / 2
  • Avo = Spd * 2 + Lck / 2
  • Crit = Dex / 2

So based on that, here are some weapon stats:

• Fire: 5 Mt, 95 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron-Body Art: 3 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Javelin: 6 Mt, 80 Hit, 0 Crit, 9 Weight
  • Iron Bow: 6 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Axe: 9 Mt, 80 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Sword: 5 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Lance: 7 Mt, 85 Hit, 0 Crit

Range weapons look pretty busted at the moment if they can still double and crit

Edited by kienquocsi

18 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

Gamespot straight up saying 'slant away from social sim mechanics from Three Houses might disappoint some' makes me think no S supports. 

They only got to play one chapter, so I don't really think they would know if there's S supports or not. I don't think they even got to be in Somniel? 

17 minutes ago, Crubat said:

HAAAARD disagree, 3H lacked a lot of what made classic FE so loved for longtime fans, while engage returns to it. Engage seems to have more varied maps with objectives to push you to rush rather than turtle. 3H to me is a just a lot of open space and not a long of strategy.

I think the response to this is going to depend a lot on what was meant.

Mechanically, 3H is a departure. I'd argue that tonally and aesthetically, it's a return to form.

Engage is mechanically a return to form (to the 3DS era, not before that), but it is aesthetically, and possibly tonally, a departure.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

8 minutes ago, morgan117 said:

They only got to play one chapter, so I don't really think they would know if there's S supports or not. I don't think they even got to be in Somniel? 

You may be right but I am under the assumption that you have access to check the support convos/log early on in the game which is how they'd know if there are S supports or not.

I'd rather they say that didn't have access/manage to reach the part of the game with social mechanics yet instead of making it sound definitive, it just makes us more curious and jump to conclusions.

I am excited about the gameplay though, it looks more fun than Three Houses tbh.  

Edited by zuibangde

7 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Mechanically, 3H is a departure. I'd argue that tonally and aesthetically, it's a return to form.

Engage is mechanically a return to form (to the 3DS era, not before that), but it is aesthetically, and possibly tonally, a departure.

I think it's too hard to say aesthetically, since it would change from game to game, similarly for the tone. I'm talking about mechanically, 3H lacks a lot of core fire emblem things so I cannot say is a return in any way shape or form. Engage's maps, to me, reminds me a lot of GBA FE, while the mechanics are completely new, its power reminds of 3DS FE, it probably is unbalanced but I'm hoping the enemies are strong enough to offset the power we get from emblems.

Edited by Crubat

30 minutes ago, Safy said:

Funny how they say "less social sim, more gameplay" and go on to list a dozen free-time activities you can do with the others at the hub.

Well, since they are ditching the calendrical system, the system that said "you have a limited amount of time- optional fight, seminar, explore monastery *wink wink*, or do absolutely nothing", then it should -practically speaking- make the social sim less upfront. It isn't being treated upfront as a valued commodity? Do I make any sense?

What we don't know yet is precisely the strength of the benefits of the various activities offered. Ideally judged perhaps on the highest difficulty if FE continues in its current trend regarding difficulty settings. -Although moderate forging in Fates (like +2 for +4 Mt at an affordable cost) and an upgraded Mess Hall weren't insubstantial in their bonuses if you had the resources.

If number of activities = high + benefits of activities = great, then even without being mandatory or heavily encouraged, the social sim aspect might be considered prominent. Though I do feel this also will have some variation in estimation based on individual players, as should be expected.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Crubat said:

I think it's too hard to say aesthetically, since it would change from game to game, similarly for the tone. 

I think that for every FE since FE4 when the series actually had an art director, the series has a certain regality/dignity to all of its art styles, and one of my disappointments here is that Engage... doesn't. It's a series that mostly takes itself seriously, and I know that by saying that, someone's going to at me with the like 10 characters across 20 years that stand out for being visually ridiculous.

1 minute ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I think that for every FE since FE4 when the series actually had an art director, the series has a certain regality/dignity to all of its art styles, and one of my disappointments here is that Engage... doesn't. It's a series that mostly takes itself seriously, and I know that by saying that, someone's going to at me with the like 10 characters across 20 years that stand out for being visually ridiculous.

I agree that Engage is def different in how the characters look but I feel like a big part of it is that we're missing 2D portraits which is a big downgrade to me. Oh and IS is kinda dumb to hire an artist that has exaggerated designs for a medieval time game lmao

Engage has the best artstyle in the series bar none. Nothing else comes even close.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Have supports been confirmed to be in the game?

Supports? Yes

S-Supports? Dunno yet

54 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Yes pls

54 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I sure do hope so, even it is just 1 map. I wanna try out how it feels and seeing all animations and stuff, Id probably replay the map like 5 times

1 hour ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yes, this is what I meant. 3H felt like a Fire Emblem that tried to be more serious again (and could be taken seriously), since I find Awakening and Fates just silly, weird and much more gimmicky in general. Azure Moon feels like a really classic FE tale of war. Characters die when they are killed and that weight is present. There are so many Genealogy references and imitations going on that I'd lose count of them if I started listing them. The aesthetics are more in-line with the older titles, compared to Engage.

Engage follows that Kozaki character design direction for example (perhaps with the personalities as well). It also has the same weapon system of Fates without durability. And seems to take a lot of Heroes inspiration which is really, really faraway from the series' roots. Look at all those multi-attacks and the busted mechanics slapped on top of each other.

But true, Engage brings many older mechanics back, but the series changes and refines mechanics all the time. Sometimes some are left out, and some return. That's just the normal cycle. Bringing back old maps means some good map design but it remains to be seen what the new maps feel like.

Fates capture when

I've already seen a couple bosses I'd love to have on my team, never mind proper generics.

1 hour ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Engage has the best artstyle in the series bar none. Nothing else comes even close.

Shrimpy with the hot take. I just like it because it has Vandad.

31 minutes ago, Safy said:

Characters die when they are killed and that weight is present.

Uuhhhhhhhhhhh

Fair enough on the rest, but... Yeah that part's just not true. Hubert and the Death Knight had to die so many times before they were killed it became laughable. It's a meme for a reason. Same goes for the lords in the routes where they're enemies, as well as a few of the more important enemy students and the defacto "protagonist talks to me in cutscenes" playable characters like Gilbert, Seteth and the master of undeath himself, Hubie. Even some nothing characters like Randolph and Ladislava get to die a couple times.

If anything Three Houses is arguably worse in this regard than other modern FEs. Half the playable cast of Fatesawakening retreats due to paralogues, but on the other hand, they tends to get less carried away with the enemy retreats. Just a tad.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fates capture when

Never
That was just needlessly shoehorned in, and I'd rather have capture in a game where it's not thrown in just because.

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Never
That was just needlessly shoehorned in, and I'd rather have capture in a game where it's not thrown in just because.

I mean, I liked it. The execution could've been better, particularly the persuasion process (not that it mattered, having played the game on my Nintendo PC), but having generics and minor bosses in my team was just plain fun. Generics only significantly improved my Revelation run, too. Turns out they're better balanced than the actual characters in that campaign lol Besides wouldn't you rather have generics than some of this game's designs

Finally got to watch the preview videos. God I hate companies like IGN and GameSpot. I did get a chuckle out of them using footage from the the very first Three Houses trailer rather than any other footage that exists lol.

Did gleam some interesting stuff tho. Bond rings are interesting. Will certainly grow redundant once you get all 12 rings and have your final party sorted but will certainly be a nice boost early/mid game. Also the game looks beautiful and am happy to hear people say it does and that it runs well. Also nice to know that the castle chapter is chapter 5 (so I guess we have the prologue and chapter 1 in Lythos, and chapter 2-5 in Firene).

Really hoping we get a demo soon, even if its just a chapter or two. We haven't gotten a FE game demo since FEA (not counting W:TH obvi).

Also really interesting Vander can only use Axes as a Paladin. In fairness we have only seen other Paladins using one weapon type (Lapis and Amber), but it's still quite weird to me when Paladins have always been the well rounded type class.

Edited by Azz

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, I liked it. The execution could've been better, particularly the persuasion process (not that it mattered, having played the game on my Nintendo PC), but having generics and minor bosses in my team was just plain fun. Generics only significantly improved my Revelation run, too. Turns out they're better balanced than the actual characters in that campaign lol Besides wouldn't you rather have generics than some of this game's designs

The persuasion part was not the only issue with it. It's also that both of the units that get capture are shit; I'd be hard-pressed to justify Niles or Orochi's use in their respective campaigns, let alone Revelation, where they're both even worse then they are in their own campaigns. Not to mention that all capture gets me is worse versions of the units I get just by playing the game. Pfft. Niles's only worth is in getting me Nina.

Edited by Shadow Mir

14 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

The persuasion part was not the only issue with it. It's also that both of the units that get capture are shit; I'd be hard-pressed to justify Niles or Orochi's use in their respective campaigns, let alone Revelation, where they're both even worse then they are in their own campaigns. Not to mention that all capture gets me is worse versions of the units I get just by playing the game. Pfft. Niles's only worth is in getting me Nina.

Fair enough. But I like it. It's neat having generics. Never did care much for having the best units, myself.

Three Houses is definitely its own beast in pretty much everything it does compared to the rest of the franchise. Engage is definitely more a throwback to the Fatesawakening games (makes me wonder if there's children units~), but I think there's enough in Engage, from the rings to Breaking, that makes me feel its defintiely going to be as different a game from the 3DS titles as Path of Radiance was to the GBA games. Similar in structure, but nowhere near as easily compared with.

Hortensia retreating is a bit eye-rolly, but of course they won't off plot-important royals like that. This been a thing since the GBA titles, this is not a surprise. I still laugh at Innes crawling himself to safety as a retreat line.

I'm okay with Turnwheel coming back, it's really a mainstay mechanic and regardless of my feelings on it, it has much of a right to stick around as Casual Mode does. It may devalue the experience in some ways (you should have the option to turn it off completely AND be rewarded for it), but I also cannot say I need every playthrough I will ever do in my lifetime to be sweat-inducing. Sometimes I just want to fill up the Support Log or fool around with stuff, I don't need the pride and accomplishment of clearing a Nintendo game at its hardest. I have no qualms with saying I abuse save states or in-game stuff like Bookmark Saves or Genealogy's Every Turn Save.

I'm curious what option gives you infinite Time Stone uses? FE hasn't been this "polite" to the newcomers since the advent of Phoenix Mode. It's definitely weird to see, and I hope the higher difficulties reign in the bloat Echoes and Three Houses ended up with. That's always my biggest issue with the mechanic, it just a little too much at time.

I'm genuinely laughing at the ability to walk around EVERY battle map after you are done! Guess that proves that there's some kind of dungeon mechanic in the game, can't imagine why they would go through so much effort to do such otherwise.

Yay for Build Growths!

I think you can equip both Emblem Rings and Bond Rings at the same time, it doesn't make sense to essentially have filler rings when you will end up with 12 of them. Like, at most you would have 3 characters that don't have some kind of ring on average.

6 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

I think here are the calculation for combat stats:

• Hit = Weapon hit + Dex * 2 + Lck / 2
  • Avo = Spd * 2 + Lck / 2
  • Crit = Dex / 2

So based on that, here are some weapon stats:

• Fire: 5 Mt, 95 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron-Body Art: 3 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Javelin: 6 Mt, 80 Hit, 0 Crit, 9 Weight
  • Iron Bow: 6 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Axe: 9 Mt, 80 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Sword: 5 Mt, 90 Hit, 0 Crit
  • Iron Lance: 7 Mt, 85 Hit, 0 Crit

Range weapons look pretty busted at the moment if they can still double and crit

Should we start listing those? I have a bunch lying around

6 hours ago, kienquocsi said:

- Curiously, this enemy Archer (Covert type) only has 54 Avoid, even though they are standing on a +30 Avo terrain (remember, Covert gets double terrain bonus)

There's this theory that enemies get a hit and avoid penalty on lower difficulties. There are a few examples out there.

... the problem then, would be that this is probably normal mode. So this bodes well.
This guy should have 20 more Avo than he does, at least. Similarly, as you've seen the Iron bow has 90 accuracy, and our friend only has 94 with one... which suggests a 10 accuracy debuff. Maybe there's something else lowering his Avo, like someone's skill.
... or, maybe in a roundabout way, the 10 Avo debuff is doubled along with the Covert terrain bonus. Maybe!

- Out of all of this... there's this thing in Vander's inventory:
ipEGOtb.png

We also see it alongside the Armorslayer in the Thief's inventory, as droppable. So predictably, this came from one of those two chests at the top left.

- The boss has a red gem, then doesn't, then doesn't get a death animation

- Knights do seem to get a move bonus from Sigurd's engage, just like cavalry.
... or wait, no they don't! Still no explanation for 12 Move general Louis in that other video, then.

Edited by Cysx

6 minutes ago, Cysx said:

- Out of all of this... there's this thing in Vander's inventory:
ipEGOtb.png

That's a funky looking... Staff? Sword? Lance? It certainly doesn't look like an axe to me...

6 minutes ago, Cysx said:

- Knights do seem to get a move bonus from Sigurd's engage, just like cavalry.

Can't wait to slap him on Jade and never look back.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

That's a funky looking... Staff? Sword? Lance? It certainly doesn't look like an axe to me...

If it was an axe, he could probably use it, so... yeah, hm, sword maybe...?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Can't wait to slap him on Jade and never look back.

Sorry, was looking for something that wasn't there. Louis gets the normal bonus here.