Which games are most likely to see remakes

lenticular

10 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Cute guess, but you're wrong there. Though my oozing vitriol like every time it's brought up might make you think otherwise. I played it once, ages ago, and found it to be, to be blunt, a very unfun experience with lots of problems to the point it felt rushed.

As to the question in the thread, I get the feeling the next remake is likely to be a pre-Tellius game that has yet to get remade.

Ah, I see. Once, ages and ages ago. Well that makes you a veritable expert on it.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

Ah, I see. Once, ages and ages ago. Well that makes you a veritable expert on it.

And yet I can see that there are issues that need ironing out. But you either are blind to those, or willfully ignore them. Honestly, I think it would be a disservice to their fans for a company to remake a game that was not released outside of Japan only to cheap out on it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

And yet I can see that there are issues that need ironing out. But you either are blind to those, or willfully ignore them. Honestly, I think it would be a disservice to their fans for a company to remake a game that was not released outside of Japan only to cheap out on it.

Oh I am far more aware of Binding Blade's actual shortcomings than you. Cause, you know, I've actually played the game (to completion) more than once in the past ten years. My problem isn't that you're right or wrong, it's that you have no idea what you're talking about, but misrepresent yourself as an expert when you are absolutely not. And I don't want novice users actually believing your bullshit. 50% of what you say might be accurate, but that's more through happenstance then any actual wisdom. If you actually phrased your comments as your own opinions coming from your own, very limited, experience, then fair enough. You're entitled to have any opinion you want. But don't pretend there is objective accuracy in your criticisms when there isn't. That's why I jump into threads to ask whether you've even played the games you talk about, because I know you certainly won't volunteer that context unprompted.

Edited by Jotari

On 7/25/2023 at 1:23 AM, Jotari said:

You rag on Mir a lot, and he takes his hatred of Binding Blade a little too far, but he has a lot of valid criticisms of the game.

Ambush spawns are dumb. Over half the characters being useless... is dumb. Enemy staff spam is dumb. Low hit rates, in particular axes, are dumb. Asinine character recruitments are dumb. Maps taking forever because of fire effects (and also just being really long) is dumb. Getting an awesome, legendary weapon, locked to a character that's bad for 3/4 of the game (Roy), and giving it only 30 uses is dumb. Secret ending... bleh.

-----------

Ironically, I also think it's the most likely to be remade. They just re-released the original for Switch, Roy is in Smash bros, it's never been released in the US. All good reasons for a remake. It also strangely has a lot of popular characters.

Genealogy is the 2nd most likely. Sigurd was featured pretty heavily in Engage, and it's "next" in order of games that need to be modernized. It also has some very unique mechanics, which might actually work in its favor (I'm only saying that because Gaiden has by far the most different mechanics, and they felt the need to modernize it). Also never released in the US. It could happen.

-----------

I think the games that are -least- likely to get remade are Thracia and Sacred Stones, and I think the reasons are obvious. Thracia didn't sell well, and it's effectively a side-story of Genealogy. Sacred Stones is standalone, doesn't have a whole lot of great characters, and I'm guessing (although I don't know) that it didn't sell particularly well either. If it didn't have cute GBA graphics (And wasn't by far the easiest to modify) I don't think many people would play it.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:25 PM, Jotari said:

Oh I am far more aware of Binding Blade's actual shortcomings than you. Cause, you know, I've actually played the game (to completion) more than once in the past ten years. My problem isn't that you're right or wrong, it's that you have no idea what you're talking about, but misrepresent yourself as an expert when you are absolutely not. And I don't want novice users actually believing your bullshit. 50% of what you say might be accurate, but that's more through happenstance then any actual wisdom. If you actually phrased your comments as your own opinions coming from your own, very limited, experience, then fair enough. You're entitled to have any opinion you want. But don't pretend there is objective accuracy in your criticisms when there isn't. That's why I jump into threads to ask whether you've even played the games you talk about, because I know you certainly won't volunteer that context unprompted.

There IS objective accuracy in my criticisms, but, Mr. Ostrich, you'd rather just bury your head in the sand and ignore it because I'd only played the game once, wouldn't you. OR do you think I am the only one in the world who has problems with all the shit I have named...???

Edited by Shadow Mir

11 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

There IS objective accuracy in my criticisms, but, Mr. Ostrich, you'd rather just bury your head in the sand and ignore it because I'd only played the game once, wouldn't you. OR do you think I am the only one in the world who has problems with all the shit I have named...???

You're not listening to me if that is your takeaway from this. Again, and listen carefully, I do not have a problem with you having a problem with this game or any other. I have a problem with you stating things without clarifying your context, quite intentionally as this is far from the first time, and presenting your issues with an objective standard when the truth is you actually don't know what you're talking about. You didn't enjoy Blazing Blade when you played it ten years ago, fair enough, but don't pretend that you have any further insight than that. You do not metagame these titles. You've been caught out in the past complaining about Rankings that don't exist. I could pick apart the specific stuff you've said here (and I'm tempted to, because, really, no droppable weapons, that's what you're complaining about now?) but that's not the point.

Edited by Jotari

On 7/25/2023 at 11:25 PM, Jotari said:

Oh I am far more aware of Binding Blade's actual shortcomings than you. Cause, you know, I've actually played the game (to completion) more than once in the past ten years.

Funny as I found this, I do feel like it's beating a dead horse. A more effective strategy to "combat misinformation" (cringe) than making negative assertions about Mir are to provide positive assertions- not to the contrary of what he says but in general, so that the people know FE6 exists as a good game whether Mir hates it or not.

On 7/26/2023 at 1:27 PM, Scanman said:

Ambush spawns are dumb. Over half the characters being useless... is dumb. Enemy staff spam is dumb. Low hit rates, in particular axes, are dumb. Asinine character recruitments are dumb. Maps taking forever because of fire effects (and also just being really long) is dumb. Getting an awesome, legendary weapon, locked to a character that's bad for 3/4 of the game (Roy), and giving it only 30 uses is dumb. Secret ending... bleh.

I actually dispute most of these points. A lot of people look at these things and call them flaws because they don't adhere to conventions from recent games, and don't really think about how they work in the whole rather than in a superficial comparison.

A few points:

• The biggest argument for ambush spawns in the Tiki paralogue in Engage. Trying to do that chapter early is hellish and the reinforcements on that chapter are especially awful. However, they aren't ambush spawns, so you can just camp around the entrance to the temple for thirty turns until they run out. This is the most reliable strategy for the map.
  • I won't dispute that most characters are worse than Rutger, but they almost all have uses and niches. Since FE6 is from the era still designed with ironmans in mind, having a large number of characters who vary in quality and ease of recruitment makes perfect sense.
  • Low hit rates are the billed disadvantage of axes. In games where hit rates don't matter, axes are better than everything else and swords are always worse. Swordmasters are actually good in FE6 because hit is a valuable stat like damage. You have to make trade-offs between power and reliability, which the game senses to be designed around. Compared to something like Conquest, the action economy and stat-thresholds in FE6 aren't very exacting. Instead of formulating a perfectly reliable strategy, FE6 challenges you do build a plan that can handle something going wrong.
  • Would the game somehow be better if you just didn't get to use the Binding Blade?
Edited by AnonymousSpeed

44 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

FE6 exists as a good game whether Mir hates it or not.

Can I join in too, pretty please with a glock on top?

I love yelling about Fire Emblem being bad, but I'm admittedly not in the mood to read misguided screaming, so I'll just shill FE6 real quick with no context of this thread. 

45 minutes ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I actually dispute most of these points. A lot of people look at these things and call them flaws because they don't adhere to conventions from recent games, and don't really think about how they work in the whole rather than in a superficial comparison.

I also disagree with a majority of these points, so I'd like to elaborate my stance on how what often seems like doing a bit of trolling is actually rather competent and compelling game design that often brings me back wanting to replay this game despite the one massive issue I will never agree with Speed Man over.

On 7/26/2023 at 10:27 AM, Scanman said:

Ambush spawns are dumb.

There's a lot of moments where ambush spawns are detrimental to the FE experience. Funnily enough, almost every example I can think of are purely modern FE. Having played at least 2 mods of Fe6 that remove ambush spawns, only a few maps feel "better" for it, like the infamous Rutger spawn no longer jumpscaring you or the reinforcements near the ch6 boss just swarming you as you try approaching the boss. In many cases, I believe reinforcements enhance the experience either through summoning enemies behind you to attempt pincering your army from 2 sides (ch6 bottom spawn, ch7 silver lance cav, ch12 spawns that aren't next to boss), or to serve as a fort spawn that you could avoid by reaching them prior to their assault (chapter 15, ch12 stairs, ch16, etc). Generally, ambushes are problematic. It sucks when you're close to a fort/stair, and a merc spawns in and immediately attacks, but I prefer the idea of being cautious near them with units always healed and ready in such cases where you're not confident that you made it in time to block over easily seeing them, killing them with no counter, then blocking rights afterwards. It's almost always unpromoted enemies anyways, so later ambushes are much more tolerable and death from these spawns have been incredibly unlikely in all my runs of it. I can't completely defend this, some moments have screwed me over, and I got mad. Thea squad appears near the mountains on my first run and all fly to my healer because I didn't think that spot was prone to spawns, it's annoying. However, a decent chunk of spawns are far away enough to where they shouldn't pose an immediate threat, and making them no longer ambush spawns only slows the map down, or speeds it up if you're a dirty ltc'er that loves skipping xp, but I have common sense. 

You're probably not gonna get jumpscared by the soldiers near the throne of ch8. You'll predict where they spawn, and can get a head start waiting where they would attack. Trying to kill the merc coming out the staircase of ch8 and rushing in to block the staircase before it's their turn and another one spawns is it's own challenge that can be rewarding to pull off, unless you don't want to despawn them for maximum xp. If an FE6 remake comes out, I won't object to removing ambush spawns, but I believe seeing it as an objective flaw that requires immediate removal is too narrow a mindset for FE design. After all, a lot of FE's were designed specifically with this in mind, as FE7 was the first game that removed it. A very good chunk of the franchise relies on ambush spawns, and good FE's know how to properly utilizes them while warning the player of their presence through dialogue when it would be damaging to the blind player. Fe6 tells you a few times when a marginable size of enemies appear. Chapter 15 tells when they're about to spawn the fort horses. Chapter 4 does hint that Rutger will appear soon and you can assume he'll be near the castle, although it is still admittedly common to not be far enough. Chapter 11A tells you that they'll summon a lot of enemies at least twice. I believe there's more examples, but my FE6 knowledge is rather limited. Chances are, they'll lock ambushes to hard mode in a remake.

2 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

The biggest argument for ambush spawns in the Tiki paralogue in Engage. Trying to do that chapter early is hellish and the reinforcements on that chapter are especially awful. However, they aren't ambush spawns, so you can just camp around the entrance to the temple for thirty turns until they run out. This is the most reliable strategy for the map.

I will never pay for DLC. Thank you for that input. Non ambush is too manipulatable. It makes them mostly a chore. Not all the time. But it isn't great.

Over half the characters being useless...

This is not a negative feature. Fire Emblem does not need every character to be equally as powerful. With a roster size as moderately large as FE6, it's fine to have units that provide their own unique niches, even if certain units are better than said characters in almost every way. Similar to Shadow Dragon, units show up with silly bases and funny growths, but the design of the game on both normal and hard allow for these units to be competent enough in combat to catch up and fight with the rest of your army with enough effort, whether that be you being incredibly based by actually giving Treck the time of day, or you play an ironman and are forced to use a majority of the cast, a classic experience that was seemingly the orignal intent for the franchise. Yes, most people nowadays would scoff at the idea of ironmaning FE given the number of casual players, but this doesn't mean that FE is now obligated to change itself to function solely for the playstyle of "listen to supports for 40 minutes and steamroll with 3 units until you reset because you overextended". For me personally, using these "useless" units provide a fun challenge on its own, encouraging replayability after knowing the game enough to find using the S tier units to be a trivial experience. Having a large cast of strong characters would lessen the impact of each unit individually and harm the tactical and replayable aspect of choosing units across runs methinks. Some units that might seem bad on paper might change your perspective on how you play the game and provide an oddly great yet hilarious FE6 experience, like speedy Bors, or Lot being the tankiest DEF growth unit next to Barthe, or using the armor triangle attack to rig powerful attacks with perfect accuracy in a game where hitting is something you always need to account for. I could go on and on about the respect I gained for FE6 using these units, as many of these felt oddly balanced around the game and the rng element of them is an entertaining gameplay element that makes each of of giving Bors and Ogier early xp a silly gamble of whether I stick with them or not, as opposed to "le le le Rutger crit le boss teeheeteeheeteehee", but I might make a separate post about it one day, where I ask pink suit man for his personal experiences with units in combination for enemy stats per chapter given growths and bases. Could be fun.

I won't dispute that most characters are worse than Rutger, but they almost all have uses and niches. Since FE6 is from the era still designed with ironmans in mind, having a large number of characters who vary in quality and ease of recruitment makes perfect sense.

Given the whole "hard mode bonuses are a glitch" thing, why would you WANT everyone to be Rutger? If you want to fufill your power fetish, sure. Go for it. But  I would not want him to be the standard, even if a concerningly large amount of FE6 players just use the same Rutger Miledy Percival team. Let me mix and match the A tiers with the C tiers and the D tiers that are actually A tiers that no one gave a chance. Also, the prepromotes have such good supports. Let me throw that in. The cast being large and varied, both character and unit wise, allow for all kinds of players to enjoy their own experiences they prefer with FE. Myrm Emblem plus Percival solo? Do it. Lot+Wade+Bartre gaming? Do it. Sophia+Wendy teamup? Get help, then do it.

Enemy staff spam is dumb

Yeah, it is pretty dumb....

but manageable. It's something that feels impossible to counter on a first run, but it's really not that bad when you remember that restore staves exist. As long as you buy one or two, you should be generally good for a lot of the game. You gotta be careful for them and prepare accordingly. I prefer siege tomes to prevent excessive tanking, but they make you shuffle about certain enemy ranges as to not simultaneously fall asleep and have your sage silenced. With 16x, you end up resotring each turn for about 3 turns, meaning you now can't heal with your stave users without dancing and or/dancing stave users, so the amount of damage you take matters much more. In most cases, it's just an inconvenience. I don't love them, but I don't hate them either. A lot of it is just an enemy near the throne sleeps you. You restore. Repeat 3 times. You move. Those are annoying, but no longer the hair pulling game breaker I once saw it as. The worst situations with these are ch20 Ilia and ch22 stair bishops. In ch20Ilia, they're too close to the start, but just far enough to where you can't hit them at all. They reach you from basically anywhere, so running away isn't an option. You get unlucky, and then Geese falls asleep while Elen gets sleep'd too...in an ironman. In chapter 22, they're ambush stave users, so you can't even counter them in time with spells or staves of your own. You just have to take it every 5 turns. That is dumb.

My biggest issue with enemy stave users that I believe can best be fixed with one simple solution: Staff hit rate. Hit rate is already infamous with FE6, but staves? Come on. I shouldn't be saving up my EXTREMELY limited uses of sleep and silence, only to miss when I most need it and have it do nothing all game. The problem is that it's based off the enemy's res, and who do you most want to use silence on? Bishops! With over 20 RES! How the bloody heck am I supposed to use this thing? It's worthless against the one thing it can be used on! Sleep is also something you'd largely want to use on bishops to prevent their sleeps, but then you have 22 hit.  They often have 15+ range so it's extremely hard to reach them just by running up to them. Without staves of your own, you just have to deal with the effects and restore burns. You wanna know what game mastered this? Thracia. Enemies had infinite range. But, you also had infinite range, and infinite hit. As long as your magic exceeded theirs, they were your dog. Silence them. Sleep them. Thief them. Give them a wedgie. Throw dirt in their eye. It's joever for these guys, as long as you had the tools you earned through previous captures. Both FE5 and FE6 feature plentiful of enemy stave enemies, but only one game lets you properly counter all of them, while FE6 is often just a chore to go through without restore abuse or rng rigging your horrible staves to land hits. Asking to remove most enemy stave users in a remake would be a huge change to the map design of several lategame FE6 maps, and it would leave the restore staff largely redundant, and the rare moments where the staves are an active tactical element of the map that do more than merely slow down progress are now less of a map. Instead, simply make your staves more reliable and satisfying to pull off when you meme on the memer. Choose the maps you want to silence the silencer in so you no longer need to deal with this factor should you find it to be detrimental to your strategy. For 20x Sacae, silence the berserk boss, have a restore user on standby for the sleep boss, and simply avoid placing mages near the silence boss. Now you have a map that utilizes enemy staves strategically without being an absolute paint to work around. Fe6 gives you tools to counter them, but they're just so unreliable. If you want to defend FE6 hit rates ANON, fine, but 3 use staves should not be something that you need to sacrifice a limb to your aztec deity to use.

Low hit rates, in particular axes, are dumb.

This is where I struggle to defend FE6, because this is still easily my least favorite thing about FE6. I ask for an Fe6 remake every day specifically to have a version of Fe6 with a better soundtrack and better hitrates. That's it. I want virtually nothing else changed aside from letting me kill Miledy as an enemy recruit. I do understand the idea that Fe6 presents with making sure you're always prepared with a backup plan, but what you do you when plan A, B, and C all fail because having a hit rate above 70 is so hard in the first half of the game. I mean, steel lances having 55 hit? Get real. Iron lances only have like 70 or 75 hit, which is stupid for an iron weapon. No one wants to surround an archer in ch4 and five because I cannot kill a single enemy in one full turn to due 5 consecutive misses in a row. Yes, this happens to me multiple times. Ya try using halberd on the tanky cavs, but you missed. Snipe the difficult chapter 7 wyverns with bows, but you miss. You practically just lose the map right then and there. 

Despite me having issues with hit rates with a lot of FE games and getting real pissy about it, I often find myself using units with the worst hits. my FE6 teams are often full of axe users, and devoid of mages with very few swordies. Somehow, I still enjoy the game and get by despite this. First 7 chapters suck, but once you're done having Marcus iron sword feed the kills, you reach a point where you have a large enough army to always do something about each predicament, usually. Support bonuses are great. Promotion gains help significantly and seeing your hit rate spike up dramatically feels so satisfying (bow warrior wade having 90 hit hits different, berserkers gaining 5 skill, etc.) Ogier's 100 hit makes him a blessing in my army. Triangle Attacks are so great to abuse. I still believe the game is in desperate need of better hits, since even +10 hit wouldn't just make everything land, trust me, but I think I can at least understand where defenders are coming from, even if I largely disagree and find this to be the single thing that ruins the early game completely for me, as well as a large chunk of Sacae, and almost every boss. But yeah, I do hope the remake increases hit. 

Asinine character recruitments are dumb

I can't think of anyone that's dumb. Thea? That's a little annoying, mainly on B route. Maybe they can make it easier on a remake, but who else? Douglass? Come oooon, it's a Xavier reference! But actually doable. You can work around him triyng to hit you. You can dodge with swordies. You can sleep him since his res is terrible. It kinda makes him a reason to rush the map instead abusing turtle strats, unless you can break his weapon. I suppose getting to Treck and Zealott is dumb, but that's more of ch7 needing a fix. That's all I can think of.

Maps taking forever because of fire effects (and also just being really long) is dumb

A very minor complaint, but understandable I suppose. At least the remake can easily speed that up, or you can just press skip.

Getting an awesome, legendary weapon, locked to a character that's bad for 3/4 of the game (Roy), and giving it only 30 uses is dumb. Secret ending... bleh.

You mean 20 uses? Funny!

I'd just make it infinite. That's almost definitely what they'll do in the remake. He's earned his right to become broken. And why not? He sucks most of the game as a relatively young lord with not too much combat experience, but with the ultimate binding blade and le determination, he now kicks Bernian butt and it would feel very satisfying. 

Would the game somehow be better if you just didn't get to use the Binding Blade?

Sure. Plot twist: Roy gets a gun.

I am almost certain that we will get a Genealogy remake next, but I really want an FE6 remake next, and hope that they will surprise me with such an announcement. To imagine the game redone with new artwork, redone music, voice acting, and to give people zero excuses to not use Lot and Wade is something I really want to experience. Oh right, Anon doesn't like voice acting. Afraid of sound? I point and I laugh. FE4 is too fixed and plays in a very specific way that only allows for specific types of FE fans to enjoy it's unique design. It's not for everyone. It can't be. It has made many sacrifices for the sake of storytelling, for terrible better or worse. Fe6 still functions like many games in the series for the most part. It's a much simpler game to bring to light, and who doesn't want to see the game where the crazy Melee guy is from? 

3 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Funny as I found this, I do feel like it's beating a dead horse. A more effective strategy to "combat misinformation" (cringe) than making negative assertions about Mir are to provide positive assertions- not to the contrary of what he says but in general, so that the people know FE6 exists as a good game whether Mir hates it or not.

For the community as a whole, yes, no doubt. But I didn't really want to get into a flame war arguing about the nuances of a game with someone who just cannot, and even worse is unwilling to, understand Binding Blade's design philosophy. But I guess I sort of ended up getting into an argument anyway, so mission failed. For what it's worth, I agree with pretty much everything the two of you have said when it comes to the specifics of these "issues".

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the most likely game to receive a remake would be Genealogy of the Holy War considering that it seems to be very popular in Japan and it's the oldest FE game that hasn't received a remake, so that would be my guess. Thracia 776 could be paired with Genealogy as a DLC or combined into a bigger package which would kill two birds with one stone.

Binding Blade and Fire Emblem (I still can't get over the fact it's straight up just called "Fire Emblem" over here in the States)-AKA Blazing Blade or FE7- would be the next most likely considering they're older games from the GBA era. A remake combining both games would be pretty interesting to see considering both games are connected like FE4 & FE5 and FE9 & FE10 are. 

As for Sacred Stones... potentially. Not as likely as the ones I mentioned above but more likely than the ones below. 

Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn don't really need remakes (A simple remaster or port would suffice, tbh) but if they DID get remakes, I'd like to see them both combined into one big Fire Emblem remake game (Though that may be too ambitious a task to undertake).

Any Fire Emblem before Genealogy or after Radiant Dawn doesn't really have a chance of getting the remake treatment right now. But hey, maybe one day there could be a remake of Awakening and/or Fates (Which seems pretty wild to me, but I wouldn't complain if they ever happened). 

FE4 remake seems the most likely based off of the Engage leaks. That being said, I am curious how much a potential remake would be willing to deviate from the source material. I think that the developers would drastically want to expand on the originally limited 16 bit story to flesh out a lot of scenarios that were presented in the game, with new maps, characters, and story scenes. However, I don't think they can do all this while keeping it both one-to-one with the original & enjoyable for a modern audience. Other FE games like FE6 or FE5 would be easier games to remake, since they don't deviate from the series core structure as much as FE4 did.

I think Archanea games will eventually aee a remake like Kanto remakes. It honestly needs It. But not to soon.

Probably after Tellius get a remake which means in at least a decade from now. 

the next one is obviously Genealogy follower but Thracia