"Ask Fire Emblem Heroes Questions and Get Them Answered Here" Thread

Randoman

3 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

That’s a pretty good team! I have a similar one, but Amelia turned up instead on the Brave banner. The GHB rotation armour quests give you around 20 orbs, so it’s definitely worth building armour emblem even if you wouldn’t usually use them.

Amelia (or Sheena) would be nice. 
for all the greens i've been sniping lately, Amelia's awful sparse - and I only have 1 3* Sheena whom i am gonna Gold up relatively quickly once i get some feathers. 

and now with L!Tiki I kinda need to snipe her. 
my hope is my luck on this banner is much better than what it was last month. the ONLY 5* i got from all my sniping was Swordhart - who better be worth it.my hope is i get some Karlas/Tiki/Micicah super duper fast. 

• Replies 22.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

Amelia (or Sheena) would be nice. 
for all the greens i've been sniping lately, Amelia's awful sparse - and I only have 1 3* Sheena whom i am gonna Gold up relatively quickly once i get some feathers. 

and now with L!Tiki I kinda need to snipe her. 
my hope is my luck on this banner is much better than what it was last month. the ONLY 5* i got from all my sniping was Swordhart - who better be worth it.my hope is i get some Karlas/Tiki/Micicah super duper fast. 

Good luck. Those banners are a nightmare to snipe.

On 9/21/2018 at 12:09 AM, Zeo said:

Hey, tagging a bunch of people again. Sorry of that's getting annoying, but this time it's not for any video showcase, this time I need some help. I've come to the realization that I have not only a lot of unfinished and outdated units in my barracks, but a lot of unused premium fodder, some I've been sitting on for a long time. Just for clarification... let's see...

Sorry, I have been busy and haven't gotten around to replying. Is there anything that you are still unsure about? I don't want to give my opinion on everything if you have made up your mind on most of it already.

So here's one that I specifically figured @Ice Dragon would be able to help out with, but if someone else knows this too then that works.

I was looking at the Summon Odds the other day and realized something: Looking at the math, you actually aren't more likely to get a Focus 5S than a non-Focus 5S. The game makes sure to separate the odds for a Focus 5S and a non-Focus 5S Unit, but both numbers remain the same. If I have a 3% chance to get a 5S Focus Unit and a 3% chance to get a 5S Unit that is not one of the Focus Units, how am I more likely to get a Focus 5S than a non-Focus 5S?

Again, I know Ice and I think @XRay are pretty solid with Heroes-related math, but if anyone else can let me know if there's something wrong with my math or if I'm wrong in assuming that was the point of Focus Units that would be great.

Edited by SoulWeaver
accidental early post

2 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I was looking at the Summon Odds the other day and realized something: Looking at the math, you actually aren't more likely to get a Focus 5S than a non-Focus 5S. The game makes sure to separate the odds for a Focus 5S and a non-Focus 5S Unit, but both numbers remain the same. If I have a 3% chance to get a 5S Focus Unit and a 3% chance to get a 5S Unit that is not one of the Focus Units, how am I more likely to get a Focus 5S than a non-Focus 5S?

Short answer:

Non-focus 5-stars are split across 4 colors. Focus 5-stars on a 3-character banner are split across a maximum of 3 colors, resulting in a higher rate when sniping just that color.

7 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Short answer:

Non-focus 5-stars are split across 4 colors. Focus 5-stars on a 3-character banner are split across a maximum of 3 colors, resulting in a higher rate when sniping just that color.

Ok, so just to check and see if I've got this right, looking at a single color, I have a 3% chance to pull, say, Helbindi, and a 3% chance to pull one of any other Green 5S. How am I more likely to pull Helbindi than any other Green if they're both still the same % rate?

1 hour ago, SoulWeaver said:

Ok, so just to check and see if I've got this right, looking at a single color, I have a 3% chance to pull, say, Helbindi, and a 3% chance to pull one of any other Green 5S. How am I more likely to pull Helbindi than any other Green if they're both still the same % rate?

You don't have a "3% chance to pull Helbindi" or even a "3% chance to pull Helbindi when picking a green umbrella". You have a "3% chance to pull a focus character when picking an umbrella at random without looking at its color". That's what the 3% focus rate actually means.

The game determines the characters underneath each umbrella first, then colors the umbrella to match the character and not the other way around.

As a specific example for comparing Helbindi's rate to the green pitybreaker rate:

The game has a 1% chance of generating Helbindi (3% focus rate divided by 3 focus characters). The game has a 0.58% chance of generating a green pitybreaker of any sort (3% 5-star rate divided by 88 5-star characters multiplied by 17 green 5-star characters). This is the tell-tale that we're going to end up with a higher chance of pulling Helbindi than a green pitybreaker.

If you add up these rates with the chances of pulling a 4-star green and a 3-star green, you have a total of 18.6% chance of any one orb being green.

This means if you are summoning only green, you can divide by 18.6% to get

• a 100% chance that the umbrella you just picked was green (18.6% divided by 18.6%), which should be obvious
  • a 5.4% chance of a green umbrella having Helbindi under it (1% divided by 18.6%)
  • a 3.1% chance of a green umbrella having a green pitybreaker of any sort under it (0.58% chance divided by 18.6%)

I keep meaning to draw a picture of how this works eventually, but never have the time to do so.

Edited by Ice Dragon

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

This is pretty much rehashing what Ice Dragon said, but the way I understood it was:

Imagine the pools as four laundry baskets. The game picks a sock at random, 3% of the time one from the 5-F basket and 3% of the time for the 5-N basket, and tells you what colour it is. With that info, you can determine how likely it is that sock came from each basket.

In the case of Helbindi's banner, even though the rates are equal, a 5-F yields a green sock 1/3 of the time, and from 5-N (17/88) 19% of the time. So if you know the sock is green, it's more likely to come from the 5-F basket. So you're more likely to get Helbindi than a non-focus green.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

As a specific example for comparing Helbindi's rate to the green pitybreaker rate:

The game has a 1% chance of generating Helbindi (3% focus rate divided by 3 focus characters). The game has a 0.58% chance of generating a green pitybreaker of any sort (3% 5-star rate divided by 88 5-star characters multiplied by 17 green 5-star characters). This is the tell-tale that we're going to end up with a higher chance of pulling Helbindi than a green pitybreaker.

If you add up these rates with the chances of pulling a 4-star green and a 3-star green, you have a total of 18.6% chance of any one orb being green.

This means if you are summoning only green, you can divide by 18.6% to get

• a 100% chance that the umbrella you just picked was green (18.6% divided by 18.6%), which should be obvious
  • a 5.4% chance of a green umbrella having Helbindi under it (1% divided by 18.6%)
  • a 3.1% chance of a green umbrella having a green pitybreaker of any sort under it (0.58% chance divided by 18.6%)

I keep meaning to draw a picture of how this works eventually, but never have the time to do so.

4 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

This is pretty much rehashing what Ice Dragon said, but the way I understood it was:

Imagine the pools as four laundry baskets. The game picks a sock at random, 3% of the time one from the 5-F basket and 3% of the time for the 5-N basket, and tells you what colour it is. With that info, you can determine how likely it is that sock came from each basket.

In the case of Helbindi's banner, even though the rates are equal, a 5-F yields a green sock 1/3 of the time, and from 5-N (17/88) 19% of the time. So if you know the sock is green, it's more likely to come from the 5-F basket. So you're more likely to get Helbindi than a non-focus green.

Ok, that makes more sense, thank you both for the help! The extra math was what I was missing in that equation, so thanks!

4 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

I think @XRay are pretty solid with Heroes-related math

I appreciate the compliment, but I am not that great with math outside of accounting/financial equations. I used to be much better at math when I was younger though! I can still do probabilities if it is not too complicated or if I can draw it out.

3 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

5 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

Imagine the pools as four laundry baskets.

Hope you like my Paint masterpiece! I am not sure if you can tell those are laundry baskets.

Spoiler

KpVTU6E.png

1 hour ago, XRay said:

I appreciate the compliment, but I am not that great with math outside of accounting/financial equations. I used to be much better at math when I was younger though! I can still do probabilities if it is not too complicated or if I can draw it out.

Hope you like my Paint masterpiece! 

It's beautiful.

Hm, with some Excel wrangling one could probably set up something like this for every banner.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Hope you like my Paint masterpiece! I am not sure if you can tell those are laundry baskets.

Hide contents

KpVTU6E.png

That picture reminds me why I never have good luck with Red Focus units.

The LG banner left me in a bad mood, since I only got a Bunrena with terrible -Atk +Def IVs. I might change my mind later, but right now I feel like foddering her off. Anyone in need of Swift Stance you can think of? I'm kinda drawing a blank here.

3 hours ago, Nanima said:

The LG banner left me in a bad mood, since I only got a Bunrena with terrible -Atk +Def IVs. I might change my mind later, but right now I feel like foddering her off. Anyone in need of Swift Stance you can think of? I'm kinda drawing a blank here.

Res Tactics, perhaps is a better option

10 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Is this a good build for Halloween Henry?

Go Glacies. BF lets you trigger 3 CD specials and Galeforce. VF lets you trigger 4 CD specials

4 hours ago, Nanima said:

If you do change your mind, HATF!Sharena can still function well as an Arena Assault unit with Glimmer, Triangle Adept, and Quick Riposte, and you can just merge her into a better copy nature later.

If you still want to go through with foddering her, Swift Stance is nice for mage counters like Felicia and Niles; Spd/Res Bond is superior in my opinion since getting an ally adjacent to you is not exactly difficult, but it can be annoying sometimes. Unless the mage counter is running a Breaker, bear in mind that mage counters who stack Spd will be more easily killed with one shot nukes, while mage counters that stack Res will be more easily doubled and be killed with a Special trigger, so unless you Felicia or Niles is +10 AND hogs Distant Def Sacred Seal or runs a Breaker, I would not let them tank mages like Celica or Lilina unless you do the math before hand to be sure they can survive.

16 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

VF lets you trigger 4 CD specials

TOD!Henry is too fast to trigger 4 cooldown Specials reliably, especially with Gronnowl, unless all he faces are Bold Fighter armor units.

Glacies:

Enemy initiates: 4 > 3

TOD!Henry counters: 3 > 1

TOD!Henry counters: 1 > 0

Iceberg:

Enemy initiates: 3 > 2

TOD!Henry counters: 2 > 0

TOD!Henry counters: 0 > Trigger

Edited by XRay

Just now, XRay said:

If you do change your mind, HATF!Sharena can still function well as an Arena Assault unit with Glimmer, Triangle Adept, and Quick Riposte, and you can just merge her into a better copy nature later.

If you still want to go through with foddering her, Swift Stance is nice for mage counters like Felicia and Niles; Spd/Res Bond is superior in my opinion since getting an ally adjacent to you is not exactly difficult, but it can be annoying sometimes. Unless the mage counter is running a Breaker, bear in mind that mage counters who stack Spd will be more easily get killed with one shot nukes, while mage counters that stack Res will be more easily doubled and be killed with a Special trigger, so unless you Felicia or Niles is +10 AND hogs Distant Def Sacred Seal or runs a Breaker, I would not let them tank mages like Celica or Lilina unless you do the math before hand to be sure they can survive.

TOD!Henry is too fast to trigger 4 cooldown Specials reliably, especially with Gronnowl, unless all he faces are Bold Fighter armor units.

Glacies:

Enemy initiates: 4 > 3

TOD!Henry counters: 3 > 1

TOD!Henry counters: 1 > 0

Iceberg:

Enemy initiates: 3 > 2

TOD!Henry counters: 2 > 0

TOD!Henry counters: 0 > Trigger

Oh right, my bad

@Jingle Jangleabort, abort. don't fodder Glacies to Henry

11 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

RIP. This is exactly why favouriting is a thing.

yup! it wasn't my main, which was a phew

10 minutes ago, silveraura25 said:

Unless you were using him as unit you can still promote combat manuals

Thankfully it was my 3rd Klein. my main one is favourited. 

and that is true :) 

also. the two new B!Tharja's i got are both minus attack. 
Joy. 

I've a couple questions regarding Chill skills and units. 

1) How is it determined whether a Chill skill is best used over a B skill like Quick Riposte or Desperation? Armor B skills staying make sense. 

2) I've see some builds recommend Chill skills for supportive units like dancers. Catria with her Chill Res looks tempting to me (and I wouldn't mind a Tiki in the process) to put on Ninian (or save for Nils if he ever comes out) for Dragon Emblem. If dancers having Chill skills over say, WoM, is a thing, is there a Chill Skill considered best for dancers in general? And for dragon Dancers in Emblem, is Chill Res considered better than other Chills?