Not sure what skill to inherit or who to inherit it from? Read this! (Please read before posting)

MrSmokestack

16 minutes ago, Simpsons138 said:

While pulling for Karla (didn't got her in the end), I pulled a 4* Ares, I know he has a good skill in Brazen Atk/Def, but who should I give the skill to? For references, I've got every unit except Siegbert, Krom, Leif, Swordhardt, Bownoka, Shigure, S!Chrom, W!Lissa, LA!Roy and L!Lyn

Regular Lyn for example

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/7/2018 at 9:31 AM, Xenomata said:

Wow, I just have no idea how to use Axes...

This time, it's Chrom's Sack of Gifts+. Since Brazen Atk/Def and Wary Fighter are both 4* available, even if I've yet to summon Ares, this one Chrom [+Spd -Res] sits doing nothing when I have a different and more desirable [+Res -HP] Chrom to use, and in fact have already given some SI to. Of course I could just merge him into +Res, but I'd at least like to explore my options first.

Since it's an axe with Spectrum Stance built in, that'd logically make it an enemy phase weapon. From what I can see though, most Axe users would rather be using a Slaying Axe+ if they aren't using their default or personal weapon. It could probably be given to someone who'd appreciate that extra bit of bulk offered by the Axe, such as Sheena or +Def Frederick (I'd have to completely rebuild my Frederick if this were to be done). Since he has decent mixed bulk, I could give it to my +Res -HP Hawkeye and go from there.

I'm still coming to the issue that for an enemy-phase axe, most everyone'd rather have a Slaying Axe, and in fact Sheena and Hawkeye can both get one by default. I'd appreciate input, but I'd honestly not be surprised if there's no scenario where Sack o Gifts would be better than a Slaying Axe.

Also thanks for the input on Ardent Service Xray, I think I will hold off for now. I don't think we'll be getting anymore axe dancers anytime soon, if ever, but I should at least what happens in the times coming for the game.

Sack o' Gifts, Handbell, and Melon Crusher work best on Steady Breath + Ignis builds because Slaying Axe can't make Ignis any faster (without also running Quickened Pulse).

On 6/7/2018 at 7:31 AM, Xenomata said:

I'm still coming to the issue that for an enemy-phase axe, most everyone'd rather have a Slaying Axe, and in fact Sheena and Hawkeye can both get one by default. I'd appreciate input, but I'd honestly not be surprised if there's no scenario where Sack o Gifts would be better than a Slaying Axe.

Slaying Axe is good, but I do not think Slaying Weapons are always necessarily better than stat-boosting Weapons. Having more stats is generally more important than activating a Special in my opinion, although it really depends on the unit.

Sheena +Def, -Spd
Ignis
Distant Counter, Vengeful Fighter
Close Def
Enemies +5, +Spd, Moonbow, Fury
Enemy Phase [Slaying Axe [Def]] 170:55:34
Enemy Phase [Sack o' Gifts [Def]] 176:40:43

Hawkeye -Spd
Distant Counter, Quick Riposte
Close Def
Enemy Phase [+Atk, Slaying Axe [Def], Ignis] 154:88:17
Enemy Phase [+Atk, Sack o' Gifts [Def], Bonfire] 153:77:29
Enemy Phase [+Def, Slaying Axe [Def], Ignis] 152:83:24
Enemy Phase [+Def, Sack o' Gifts [Def], Bonfire] 147:72:40

On 6/8/2018 at 6:27 AM, Jingle Jangle said:

I'm trying to think of a build for aTiki (+atk -spd) that uses the Fog breath refine. However, I don't not have steady breath or distant counter available. Any Ideas?  

You may also want to consider Atk/Def Bond if you get some spare Fjorms during Legendary Banners. Other than that, I agree with @Karimlan that Fury is your best bet if you want something cheap.

13 hours ago, Simpsons138 said:

While pulling for Karla (didn't got her in the end), I pulled a 4* Ares, I know he has a good skill in Brazen Atk/Def, but who should I give the skill to? For references, I've got every unit except Siegbert, Krom, Leif, Swordhardt, Bownoka, Shigure, S!Chrom, W!Lissa, LA!Roy and L!Lyn

You can give it to Lyn, but Brazen Atk/Spd suits her better in my opinion, as she still needs Spd to double opponents that cannot counter attack. Lyn will have a pretty terrible first round performance though, so Swift Sparrow or Life and Death might be more preferable depending on your play style.

Brazen Atk/Any suits slow Brave units very well once they get into HP range, although getting there might be difficult. Reinhardt, Cherche, and TOD!Henry are some popular slow Brave units.

If you got the Orbs and like Reinhardt, I highly recommend pulling for LA!Roy, as he is just as stupidly broken with the same set up as Reinhardt. LA!Roy also comes with Reciprocal Aid, so he can drop his HP quickly to get into Brazen range.

I was thinking what B skill would be the best for Linus. My first instinct said Desperation, but then I started to check. His Base Attack is 37 + Basiliskos 16 + Basiliskos skill effect 5 + Brazen Atk/Spd 7 to a total of 65. When Brazen is active, his speed goes up to 45. I feel like Vantage might be better, because he probably doubles anyway, if he actually needs to double with that much attack. As for Assist, Reposition. 

That's the budget option I can think of. Not sure about the Seal yet. How are you guys going to build him?

Stats-wise, it seems counter-intuitive to build him like you would Raven. I myself am thinking of two candidates for the B slot:

• Vantage, for counterkill setups,
  • Wrath (provided I get the fodder), to maximize killing ability (coupled with Quick Riposte in the seal slot)

5 hours ago, Garlyle said:

I was thinking what B skill would be the best for Linus. My first instinct said Desperation, but then I started to check. His Base Attack is 37 + Basiliskos 16 + Basiliskos skill effect 5 + Brazen Atk/Spd 7 to a total of 65. When Brazen is active, his speed goes up to 45. I feel like Vantage might be better, because he probably doubles anyway, if he actually needs to double with that much attack. As for Assist, Reposition. 

That's the budget option I can think of. Not sure about the Seal yet. How are you guys going to build him?

Desperation with Heavy Blade Seal and Draconic Aura so he can continue to murder stuff, although he is outshined in this department by Raven, because Raven can have boons.

I am not going to build him since i run a +10 Raven and all i can say is Raven murders everything with that build once he is in Desperation range and has Dancers nearby. The day we get a Desperation Seal or Wrath Seal is the day i will swap out Heavy Blade for either of the two for more busted power.

On 6/12/2018 at 8:12 AM, Garlyle said:

You can never have enough Spd for reliable doubling without Quick Riposte. 45 Spd is good enough to double slow units, but that is nowhere near enough to double other common offensive nukes who can easily reach 50 Spd, especially with Even Spd Wave being a thing now.

65 Atk is not enough for one hit knock outs on some of the common beefier melee units in my opinion, but it should be enough against most ranged units. You can consult this chart from the wiki.

I would personally go with your first instinct. As for the Sacred Seal, Speed +3 is probably his best bet. If you need some extra points for scoring, then Heavy Blade makes more sense.

@XRay Sheena now has the Sack o' Gifts. If you care to know, it looks absolutely stupid on her, but a silly kind of stupid. Now all I need is a Santa Hat accessory...

Spoiler

After my summoning, I got a few 5* units with rarer skills that I've no idea what to do with.

Spoiler

Nanna: Restore+ and Absorb+ (I'd probably find a way to pass both on to whoever gets one or the other)

Pale Flower Nino x2: Swift Sparrow 2, Aerobatics

Bridal Bloom Ninian: Fresh Bouquet+, Chill Atk 3

Ishtar: Swift Sparrow 2, Odd Attack Wave 3

Shigure: Harmonic Lance+

Bridal Blessings Charlotte: First Bite+

Bridal Bloom Tharja: Atk/Spd Bond 3, Speed Feint 3

As well as the following from past summonings (not my immediate focus)

Spoiler

Priscilla: Panic+ and Rehabilitate+ (same as Nanna, try to give both to the same unit)

Sakura: Fear+ and Physic+ (same)

Mist: Slow+ and Recover+ (same)

Leon: Slaying Bow+ and Guard 3

Rhajat: Keen Gronnwolf+ and Distant Defense 3

Soren: Watersweep 3

Fae: Light Breath+

Catria: Killer Lance+ (evolved to Slaying Lance+)

Oscar: Sapphire Lance+, Rally Spd/Def, and Spur Spd/Def 2

Mathilda: Ridersbane+ and Cancel Affinity 3

Winters Envoy Robin: Tannenboom!+, Brazen Atk/Spd 3, and Armor March 3

Shiro: Steady Stance 3 and Defense Tactic 3

Fjorm: Atk/Def Bond 3, Shield Pulse 3, and Drive Atk 2

Male Morgan: Dull Ranged 3

Siegbert: Atk Tactic 3

Sigurd x2: Close Defense 3 and Speed Smoke 3

Cain: Brave Sword+

Vanguard Legend Ike: Warding Breath

Lyn: Galeforce

Ogma: Brave Sword+

Notes on what I'm thinking...

Spoiler

I know a unit is allowed to have more than one weapon they actively use, but most of my lancers already have lances they work perfectly fine with... save for Peri I guess. She's been using the Brave Lance+ on LnD3 and -Atk for way too long now...

I have a few units who might like Swift Sparrow 2. Most notably, I managed to snag a Karla +Res -Def who, while basically neutral, is still quite fast. I also have a number of units who'd like Swift Sparrow or LnD3, such as Brave Roy, Siegbert, BB!Tharja, Legault, and M!Corrin.

Fresh Bouquet would probably go to either my PA!Shigure or Mae. Chill Attack would probably go to my Azama, who currently still suffers from having to tank REALLY strong attackers.

First Bite is the one that stumps me the most. Most lances would rather run Berkut's Lance for defensive builds, but First Bite improves both Defense and Resistance after combat. I'm also remembering the Anniversary Feh Channel and almost wanna give it to Effie...

Save for Ogma, I have pretty much every above fodder unit trained up as well, so if I really wanted to I could just go crazy with merges. But that feels a waste when I know the benefits of the skills I have.

I'm not seeking immediate help, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Edited by Xenomata

59 minutes ago, Hilda said:

@mampfoid
As promised my +10 HP built Vengeance Karel! Together with the other trash units Clair and Saizo! He kinda replaced B!Ike in that Team for now. I just love him <3

Hey cool, congratulations! Won't you show him around? 

As I already have a Brave Roy with maxed Hero Merit, and I maxed a regular Roy, plus I saw the Quick Riposte, anti-dragon, Bracing Stance 2 effect of Binding Blade, I couldn't resist to refine it.

But I only checked his IV after I invested. Spd+, Res-. I'm already thinking on a Close Def(Seal), Desperation, Reposition, Sol build, but what would be more reasonable?

5 hours ago, Garlyle said:

As I already have a Brave Roy with maxed Hero Merit, and I maxed a regular Roy, plus I saw the Quick Riposte, anti-dragon, Bracing Stance 2 effect of Binding Blade, I couldn't resist to refine it.

But I only checked his IV after I invested. Spd+, Res-. I'm already thinking on a Close Def(Seal), Desperation, Reposition, Sol build, but what would be more reasonable?

Roy is pretty slow even with +Spd, so Desperation does not fit him in my opinion.

If you are using him in Arena, I highly recommend a damage Special over Sol, since the healing is generally too little and too slow. Sol is fine for non Arena modes though.

If you are using him for Arena Assault, his vanilla set is fine as is and I would just put Glimmer and Guard to fill up his slots.

Arena:
Binding Blade [special]
(Special depends on your A slot)
Fury / Steady Breath / Warding Breath / Sturdy Stance / Mirror Stance / Atk/Def Bond
Wrath / Guard / Swordbreaker
Close Def

Arena Assault:
Binding Blade [special]
Glimmer
Triangle Adept
Guard

@XRay I can already see he is not going to be super cheap as my Brave Roy. He doesn't look bad, but his skillset doesn't worth much. He's a good Triangle Adept fodder, but that skill won't go well with the Binding Blade imo.

2 hours ago, Garlyle said:

@XRay I can already see he is not going to be super cheap as my Brave Roy. He doesn't look bad, but his skillset doesn't worth much. He's a good Triangle Adept fodder, but that skill won't go well with the Binding Blade imo.

If you are using him in Arena Assault, Triangle Adept tanks are generally preferred over generalist tanks since you can preview the enemy team and run counters. Triangle Adept tanks are also much cheaper to build since you just need Triangle Adept 2/Gem Weapons and the corresponding Breaker, and maybe Glimmer to shut down bulky units.

If you are using him Arena, depending on what you can afford and what your team set up is like, you may want to just stick with Triangle Adept and have him focus on green units instead of dragons. If you do need him to deal with other stuff, the Fury would indeed be better. Other stat boosting options give more score and allow Roy to specialize towards certain targets without taking recoil damage, but they are also much more expensive. Mirror Stance is best in my opinion for dealing with dragons, but it is expensive as it is locked to 5* F!Morgan.

I have a Y!Tiki in need of skills, and Aether, Steady Breath, and Wrath lying around. The twist is that Y!Tiki is +Spd -HP. It looks like the Aether / Steady Breath combo is best used by slow dragons (getting more charges out of Steady Breath) running Lightning Breath+ (being able to fire off that Aether with Distant Counter).

Is a skill set like this still the best for a fast Y!Tiki, or can I find better users? I don't have the other baby dragons at 5-stars.

Edited by Chrom-ulent

15 hours ago, Chrom-ulent said:

I have a Y!Tiki in need of skills, and Aether, Steady Breath, and Wrath lying around. The twist is that Y!Tiki is +Spd -HP. It looks like the Aether / Steady Breath combo is best used by slow dragons (getting more charges out of Steady Breath) running Lightning Breath+ (being able to fire off that Aether with Distant Counter).

Is a skill set like this still the best for a fast Y!Tiki, or can I find better users? I don't have the other baby dragons at 5-stars.

Y!Tiki might not be the best user of [Lightning Breath, Aether, Steady Breath], but Aether is still valuable for Rival Domains and Grand Conquest.

Between Breath of Fog and Lightning Breath, they are pretty similar in terms of performance, but I think Lightning Breath is a better due to team composition flexibility, less dependent on positioning, and has a slight performance edge.

Y!Tiki +Spd, -HP
Breath of Fog [special][1 Ally], Moonbow
Distant Counter
Enemy Phase [Quick Riposte, Speed +3] 156:74:34
Enemy Phase [Wrath, Quick Riposte] 156:96:12
Enemy Phase [Quick Riposte, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0] 200:30:34
Enemy Phase [Wrath, Quick Riposte, 4/4/0/0] 190:63:11

Y!Tiki +Spd, -HP
Lightning Breath [Spd], Bonfire
Steady Breath
Enemy Phase [Quick Riposte, Speed +3] 159:36:69
Enemy Phase [Wrath, Quick Riposte] 159:69:36
Enemy Phase [Quick Riposte, Speed +3, 4/4/0/0] 194:15:55
Enemy Phase [Wrath, Quick Riposte, 4/4/0/0] 203:29:32

If you want maximum performance, you can give all three to Y!Tiki with her regular build being [Lightning Breath [Spd], Reposition/Swap, Bonfire, Steady Breath, Wrath, Quick Riposte], and during Rival Domains and Grand Conquest, you can switch out Bonfire for Aether to give her better sustainability.

Assuming you have Distant Counter, if you want to maximize scoring potential in Arena, you may want [Breath of Fog [special], Rally stat/stat, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Close Def/Distant Def] and you can save Wrath and Steady Breath for another another teammate.

Edited by XRay

@XRay May I ask for some help with Myrrh? She is +Atk / -HP. Although the bane is not the best, her IVs are relatively safe. I was thinking, with her minimal HP, that she could be a player-phase dragon unit. I was thinking of using her standard weapon, Brazen Attack / Defense, Desperation and Brash Assault as her set. Would this be too inconvenient for her? My thinking around is that because she has high enough defense, she would not take doubles and not take too much damage in one hit. The only thing inconvenient about her build is that her HP must be 1 to 18 HP in order to set off Brash Assault. 

Overall, I wish to find another way to use her besides her standard set and the Distant Counter / QR / Iote's Shield set she usually runs.

6 minutes ago, Aera said:

@XRay May I ask for some help with Myrrh? She is +Atk / -HP. Although the bane is not the best, her IVs are relatively safe. I was thinking, with her minimal HP, that she could be a player-phase dragon unit. I was thinking of using her standard weapon, Brazen Attack / Defense, Desperation and Brash Assault as her set. Would this be too inconvenient for her? My thinking around is that because she has high enough defense, she would not take doubles and not take too much damage in one hit. The only thing inconvenient about her build is that her HP must be 1 to 18 HP in order to set off Brash Assault.

I have not tried using Player Phase dragons before, so I think maybe @Ice Dragon may have more experience. It sounds fine though. If you have trouble reaching the HP threshold, you can switch Brazen Atk/Def to Fury and maybe that might help her get there faster.

12 minutes ago, Aera said:

Overall, I wish to find another way to use her besides her standard set and the Distant Counter / QR / Iote's Shield set she usually runs.

That is her best set in my opinion, at least for Rival Domains and Grand Conquest. One that I currently use is [Great Flame, Reposition, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Guidance, Iote's Shield]. Guidance on Myrrh and FV!Robin helps a lot in moving infantry dragons around.

23 minutes ago, Aera said:

May I ask for some help with Myrrh? She is +Atk / -HP. Although the bane is not the best, her IVs are relatively safe. I was thinking, with her minimal HP, that she could be a player-phase dragon unit. I was thinking of using her standard weapon, Brazen Attack / Defense, Desperation and Brash Assault as her set. Would this be too inconvenient for her? My thinking around is that because she has high enough defense, she would not take doubles and not take too much damage in one hit. The only thing inconvenient about her build is that her HP must be 1 to 18 HP in order to set off Brash Assault. 

I personally find Brash Assault far too much of a hassle to activate to be practical. I still consider Lyn the only character that has a practical use for Brash Assault due to the fact that she can have it activate at 75% HP with her weapon's effect, which is a far easier threshold to work with.

Additionally, Brazen Atk/Def would make it even harder to get Myrrh's HP into the correct range if you manage to land between 50% and 80%.

The biggest problems with dragons as player-phase units is the fact that they are melee attackers with none of the staple melee weapons for player-phase use. They don't have access to Slaying, Wo Dao, Brave, or Firesweep weapons.

If you still want to run a player-phase build, I would rather opt for a Weaponbreaker instead of Desperation, which would give her options both above and below 50% HP, using Brazen Atk/Def to keep her alive in lieu of Desperation.

@XRay

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Additionally, Brazen Atk/Def would make it even harder to get Myrrh's HP into the correct range if you manage to land between 50% and 80%.

The biggest problems with dragons as player-phase units is the fact that they are melee attackers with none of the staple melee weapons for player-phase use. They don't have access to Slaying, Wo Dao, Brave, or Firesweep weapons.

That makes sense. Half the time, she would be enemy-phase only until she is at that threshold (under 50% HP) to fully utilize her build. By the time she can get there, the battle could be finished.

I think the reason why I thought Great Flame or any of the breath weapons could be used for Desperation builds is that it targets the lower Defense or Resistance stat if they are 2-range. Her greatest weakness, if this build could work well, would be melee units with high Resistance.

Thank you and @XRay for your input!

• 5 weeks later...

I have a Libra Atk+ Hp- from my last summoning session, and I'm not sure what to do with that. His speed is too low for my taste, are there any particular builds that is good for him?

1 hour ago, Garlyle said:

I have a Libra Atk+ Hp- from my last summoning session, and I'm not sure what to do with that. His speed is too low for my taste, are there any particular builds that is good for him?

I like cookie cutter Brave builds since he got +Atk. You cannot go wrong emulating Reinhardt with Death Blow-Quickened Pulse/Heavy Blade.

If you want him to be an Enemy Phase unit, he got great mixed bulk, so you can just slap [Glimmer, Triangle Adept 2, Quick Riposte 2] on him for a cheap Arena Assault build, or you can go with something like [Wo Gùn [Def], Moonbow/Bonfire, Atk/Def Bond/Sturdy Stance, Quick Riposte, Close Def] for Arena.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Arcphoenix said:

I recently acquired my fourth Lyn, an attack minus, hp plus Lyn. When I saw her IVs a part of me got crushed. I believe that every Hero can be made into something great - powercreep or no- but I'm not sure what to do with her. I want to make her into something I can run in a Lyn Emblem team (Herself, Bride Lyn, Brave Lyn, and a Legendary Lyn) or in general just for fun. Any advice? Maybe even builds that have worked out very well for you?

It is best to use this thread or the question thread for questions regarding skills and builds, so questions do not clog up the front page.

If you just want something serviceable and cheap, then I would go with something like [Moonbow, Death Blow/Fury/Triangle Adept, G Tomebreaker, Brash Assault]. She should still be able to counter most greens with that set up.

If you are going to whale for her eventually, the -Atk does not really matter since you are going to replace the nature anyways, so you might as well just invest in her normally with [Moonbow, Brazen Atk/Spd/Swift Sparrow/Fury, Wrath/Chill Def/Chill Spd, Attack +3/Speed +3]. You can also try Luna instead if you plan to run Flashing Blade, but she will need Spd buffs to pull it off reliably.

Edited by XRay