Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread

Alexmender

3 minutes ago, Kaden said:

Saw that on Reddit and I think the OP said yorotsruuu yorotsruuu used a +Def, -Res Matthew for the fifth map. OP tried using neutral Matthew and the red mage wouldn't go towards the right where he and Felicia were.

Edit: thread link: https://www.reddit.com/r/FireEmblemHeroes/comments/6sdakq/yorotsruus_4_no_si_squad_assault_2_clear/.

Yeah, spent a lot of time and stamina levelling up Matthew to find out that the lancer girl decided to move towards my daggers instead of breaking the wall for the axe cavalier and getting stuck there.

Probably going to Horse Emblem that shit tomorrow, too disappointed right now.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Yeah, spent a lot of time and stamina levelling up Matthew to find out that the lancer girl decided to move towards my daggers instead of breaking the wall for the axe cavalier and getting stuck there.

Probably going to Horse Emblem that shit tomorrow, too disappointed right now.

On the bright side, at least people can figure out 4/5 maps and really, it's 10-1 and chapter 10 in general being really rough maps.

37 minutes ago, Kaden said:

On the bright side, at least people can figure out 4/5 maps and really, it's 10-1 and chapter 10 in general being really rough maps.

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not disappointed in yorotsruuu, I’m disappointed in myself for being unable to utilise my own think pan.

I don't know how, but I managed to clear squad assault after running into a second stage shaped wall for most of yesterday. Decided to deploy Xander with QR instead of female Robin, and it worked out. On the final map, I had this interesting scenario where all of the enemies piled up on the right side and neither Soren nor the red mage could break the wall, so I had my team camp out on the left until the timer ran out. Right now, I don't know if/how I can replicate that.

yorotsuuu's strat for the 2nd map doesn't work for me because rather than Serra attacking Olivia, she ends up targeting Zephiel instead, breaking Wary Fighter and thus put Zephiel in a checkmate position with nobody else but Olivia in position to reach any of them.

Assuming all units are the same, 4* Narcian will make the strat fail on the 1st map since Ryoma would end up going north in the direction of Lissa and Cecilia rather than tail Takumi and Sakura.

I just cleared the first Squad Assault.

Map 1- Effie smash, with Lachesis and junk.
Map 2- Alm route characters (Alm, Lukas, Delthea) and Sakura- I probably would've used Silque if she was out just for fun.
Map 3- Good old M!Robin and his shiny new +Atk, along with Anna, Linde, and Hone Atk (Lissa).
Map 4- Great wall of Eldigan with Priscilla support, and then Bridal Caeda and Lilina rained down magic from over the river.
Map 5- Hector and Klein shot down low-defence targets while Sharena QR'd Navarre. Olivia might not have been absolutely necessary...

Made to it to map 4 before I had to surrender again.

Used yorotsuuu's strats for maps 1 and 3 and Jublusion's (Reddit) strat for map 2.

For map 2, I largely followed Jublusion's strat, illustrated here. For me, I used my +Atk/-Def Hector (Vantage, Bonfire), 4* +Def/-Spd Priscilla, 4* +Atk/-Def Eirika (Rally Defense), and Olivia.

In map 3, I used a 3* +Spd/-Def Raigh and 4* female Robin though fortunately, there was no change in strategy.

For map 4, I tried to follow yorotsuuu's strat though because I replaced Wrys with Bride Lyn, Michalis end up going right instead of left, making Clarisse's next move suicidal.

Had to 4* my neutral Wrys. Wonder how that would fare. Noticed that the Wrys in yorotsuuu's vid is +HP/-Spd.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Did Squad Assualt yesterday I think anyway here is my teams.

1. Est, Michalis, Summer Corrin, Palla (Ryoma and Co)

2. Hector, Effie, Wrys, Olivia (Matthew and Co)

3. Xander, Reinhardt, Jaffar, Setsuna (Michalis and Co)

4. Spring Lucina, Sharena, Kagero, Marth (Robin and Co)

5. Leo, Elise, Cecilia, Camus (Ike and Co)

• Alexmender changed the title to Squad Assault and Chain Challenge discussion thread
10 hours ago, Vaximillian said:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I’m not disappointed in yorotsruuu, I’m disappointed in myself for being unable to utilise my own think pan.

Yo, if you or anyone else is having trouble with 10-1 in SA2, someone in the thread suggested giving 4* Camus a Fortify Res 1 seal. The idea is to make it so that Matthew's resistance is the lowest of the four. With 4* Xander, he only has 15 resistance and no WTA against the red mage unlike Camus who also has 15 resistance and Matthew who has 16 resistance and is much faster than Xander if that matters -- didn't check the red mage's speed. Also, maybe the AI considers Rogue Dagger's self buff if they attack him. Not sure on that one.

My Xander is a 5*, so I decided to just even out their resistance and have Camus receive +2 resistance which would put 5* Xander at an effective 21 resistance when next to Camus and Camus would have 17 resistance and WTA against the red mage throughout the battle while Matthew only has 16. It might have worked if you gave Camus the Fortify Res seal and had Xander's resistance go up to 23 effective resistance while Camus banks on him having WTA, but I don't know since I didn't do that.

I got fed up with trying to figure out Cecilia & Lilina's BHB, so decided to do SA2. Checked if the OP had figured out anything for 10-1 and someone else did. Well, SA2 is done and I'm still left with C&L BHB... I should just 5* Ursula and level up Hana...

Quick Edit: Be sure to set it up so Camus or Xander receives the +2 resistance buff depending on if you used 4* Xander or 5* Xander at the start of the map.

6 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

yorotsuuu's strat for the 2nd map doesn't work for me because rather than Serra attacking Olivia, she ends up targeting Zephiel instead, breaking Wary Fighter and thus put Zephiel in a checkmate position with nobody else but Olivia in position to reach any of them.

Assuming all units are the same, 4* Narcian will make the strat fail on the 1st map since Ryoma would end up going north in the direction of Lissa and Cecilia rather than tail Takumi and Sakura.

For the first one, that's weird. Is your Olivia neutral or not? I used the same strategy with all units at 4* and Donnel and Olivia were special map units, so they were neutral as well and it played out in the same way.

The only maps that played out differently for me were 6-1 and I think 9-1, but that was more of damage differences since I think his Stahl was +Atk while mine is neutral or I might have missed a chance for Michalis to hit Stahl and letting Stahl get more damage in. Still went out in the same way, though. Just took longer.

For 6-1, the first map of SA2, yep, same thing happened, but the strategy doesn't fail. From the point where Cecilia finishes off Takumi and she gets healed, just move Berkut above Lissa to block Ryoma's path and move Narcian right next to Cecilia which I don't know if it would have done anything, but it stops Sakura from being able to attack Lissa which if she did, probably would have screwed everything over since Sakura would have blocked Cecilia from being able to attack her. Except Narcian's resistance is lower, so Sakura might have attacked him instead.

Anyway, just have Berkut tank it out while killing Ryoma and since Sakura is so fixated on Narcian, she can't go up to heal him. By the time Ryoma is dead, just move Narcian out of the way and move Cecilia right next to Sakura so she can't target anyone else. At that point, it's just having Cecilia's Gronnraven and high attack stat chipping away at Sakura. I think you move Berkut down to do more damage, but I decided to play it safe just in case which also explains why I healed Cecilia every now and again with Lissa.

Edited by Kaden

2 minutes ago, Kaden said:

For the first one, that's weird. Is your Olivia neutral or not? I used the same strategy with all units at 4* and Donnel and Olivia were special map units, so they were neutral as well and it played out in the same way.

She's neutral but has 1 merge level, so +1 to HP and Spd. No idea how that would influence Serra to attack Zephiel instead.

man the squad assault wasn't bad at all for me, didn't even bring out Horse Emblem.

but heck I FINALLY FINISHED THE CHP 11-12 CHAIN CHALLENGE ON LUNATIC

apparently the key to winning is being drunk because i used the same exact teams while sober yet i couldn't do it then

and i recorded it for some reason i'll just drop that here w.e

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

She's neutral but has 1 merge level, so +1 to HP and Spd. No idea how that would influence Serra to attack Zephiel instead.

I think it's because Olivia wouldn't be doubled. Serra on that map has 36 speed and a 4* neutral Olivia would have 31. If +1 merge gives her 32 speed, then Serra can't double Olivia who also has higher resistance than Zephiel to begin with.

I'm not sure why she and Matthew didn't just team up on Zephiel regardless, but it might be because with an unmerged Olivia, they can do a ton of damage to both characters since Olivia getting doubled drops to 12 HP while Matthew drops Zephiel to 29 HP with the help of Poison Strike 3 and a Hone Attack 3 buff from Serra.

The game's probably really finicky.

Edited by Kaden

Finished 2nd Assault.

For map 5, I followed yorotsuuu's strat though I managed to get away with using a 3* +Def/-Spd Matthew. The axe cavalier was prepared to go right, putting Matthew, Camus, and Felicia in its range. Fortunately, all I had to do was move those three out of the way so that in Enemy Phase, the lance fighter destroys the wall, then the axe cavalier charges into unarmed Xander, allowing the plan to go as normal.

Managed Squad Assault 2. Took more work than SA1, but after 6-7 attemps I got it:

First team: Camus (classic Fury/QR/Bonfire/Repo build), support by Clarine (with Fortify Cavalry), Minerva and a random 3*Gordin because once I figured I needed my Klein for the last map he was my best replacement archer XD. Mostly Camus tanked shit, Minerva sweeped or took cheeky shots before being repo-ed and Gordin helped her kill Hinoka.

Second team: Xander (classic QR/Bonfire build/Hone Cavalry, with his original A skill), Ursula 4* with a Blade tome, Cecilia with Draw Back and a Blade tome, Frederick 4* with Fortify Cavalry and Fury 2). Xander tanks the ninja, Ursula finishes Matthew off, Cecilia draw her back; then they sweep to kill what's left.

Third team: Linde (classic L&D build), Alfonse, Boey (with Tri Adept) and a random Seliph 4* for Rally Speed. Linde needs the Rally Speed to ORKO Tharja. Boey takes care of Robin. Alfonse helps with the axe cavalry. Linde murders most of what's left.

Fourth team: I used my flying team of Caeda, Michalis, Cordelia and a Palla 4*. The positioning was what's tricky on this one, I needed to get them all to the left in order not to get overtaken by Camus and the Red Mage Horse, but once I had it it went well.

Fifth team: I pulled my big guns of Ike (with QR), Nino (classic Fury/Desp build), Klein and Olivia. Nino kills most. Ike takes care of Soren and some axe cavalry, even Olivia finished another axe cavalry off. The tricky thing is even Klein couldn't ORKO that red mage, so I had to spend a turn getting his special ready before he could murder him.

And that was it ^_^

I think I'm managing some weird hodgepodge strategy on the second Squad Assault Map 1 consistently using Robin (M), Bridal Caeda, Priscilla and Anna.

The second one's getting to me, though- how do I deal with Matthew? He seems to be the tough cookie on this particular map.

On 8/9/2017 at 2:23 AM, wizzard of soz said:

man the squad assault wasn't bad at all for me, didn't even bring out Horse Emblem.

but heck I FINALLY FINISHED THE CHP 11-12 CHAIN CHALLENGE ON LUNATIC

apparently the key to winning is being drunk because i used the same exact teams while sober yet i couldn't do it then

and i recorded it for some reason i'll just drop that here w.e

Hide contents

u r a pro

On 10-8-2017 at 3:36 PM, phineas81707 said:

I think I'm managing some weird hodgepodge strategy on the second Squad Assault Map 1 consistently using Robin (M), Bridal Caeda, Priscilla and Anna.

The second one's getting to me, though- how do I deal with Matthew? He seems to be the tough cookie on this particular map.

M!Robin would be good to deal with Matthew :P

Any -Raven tome user should deal good damage to him (I remember him having low Res) and not take to much damage from other units on the map, but I'm not sure how many you have trained. Distant Counter units are also pretty great on the second map (but then again, when aren't they).

On 8/10/2017 at 9:36 AM, phineas81707 said:

i had Xander solo the whole map except for Lilina last hitting Matthew (any mage with decent attack can probably last hit him). if yours is 5*, just give him an imbue physic healer that can safely heal out of range of the dagger onslaught and you're golden! typical Fury QR build with Bonfire. can't remember if i needed to use his Reposition..

4 hours ago, Bartozio said:

M!Robin would be good to deal with Matthew :P

Any -Raven tome user should deal good damage to him (I remember him having low Res) and not take to much damage from other units on the map, but I'm not sure how many you have trained. Distant Counter units are also pretty great on the second map (but then again, when aren't they).

F!Robin has Gronnraven+, which means she now only matches M!Robin's Atk (back when M!Robin was -Atk, that wasn't the case). But M!Robin is critical to my success on the first map, and it's not like Blue versus Green is that important here.

I might bring Celica and/or Ike on my next attempt now that I have them.

Is there a specific way to build teams for these two game modes? I'm trying to get Orbs from Lunatic Chain Challenges and it's killing me - Arena Assault I can do but these not so much, making me think they need two different mindsets when building teams around them.

Do you guys have any general tips please? Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, DefyingFates said:

Is there a specific way to build teams for these two game modes? I'm trying to get Orbs from Lunatic Chain Challenges and it's killing me - Arena Assault I can do but these not so much, making me think they need two different mindsets when building teams around them.

Do you guys have any general tips please? Thanks in advance!

Squad Assault isn't that bad, since you can prepare a specific team for every map. CC is pretty touch, but I feel you generally want the same sort of teams as you'd use for the Tempest Trials. Either a team of very good nukes, or running at least one healer on all teams (unless they only need to clear one map).

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, now with the Tempest over, I've been doing some more Squad Assault 2 attempts (not sure what undone Chain Challenges I'm comfortable I could do).

Map 1 uses Camus, Priscilla for Hone, Klein, and the Anna's still around for show.
Map 2 uses Ike, Robin (F), Celica and Lachesis. Celica doesn't do as much as I'd like, and the strategy doesn't always turn out.
Map 3 uses Delthea, Eldigan, Julia and Sakura.
Map 4 is now stumping me- I keep missing out on kills. Considering I want to try the cheese reddit found for Map 5, I think I'm relatively clean for different units... anyone have vague suggestions? (Current set is Lilina/Sonya/Linde/Olivia).