Special Heroes: Renewed Spirit

NSSKG151

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Marquess_Ostia said:

Are we going to talk about Distant Ward? Because I feel like we should talk about Distant Ward?

7 hours ago, DarthR0xas said:

I'm just, kinda trying to pretend it doesn't exist because the sheer fact they powercrept Distant Counter confounds me to my core. Well, I suppose it was going to happen eventually, but it still feels too soon.

The fact that it doesn't activate at all against bows and daggers is a huge drawback in Aether Raids where those unit types are not only common, but also extremely threatening.

Distant Ward is essentially a more specialized version of Distant Counter for units that weren't able to handle physical opponents in the first place. It's basically a magic version of Boey's weapon refine, but with stats attached.

Honestly, I don't really see it replacing Distant Counter except on specialized anti-magic builds (such as ones running Barrier Blade, Berkut's Lance, or Barrier Lance).

On the flip side, I'm extremely happy to see them experimenting with variations on Distant Counter. That puts us another step closer to old Distant Counter weapons finally getting refines.

Edited by Ice Dragon

The real power creep is the beast weapons. They're just Vassal's Blade / Giga Excalibur / Raven King Beak with the Close Call effect added. (Res-based in the case of Selkie's.)

Anna as the thumbnail, IS knows what they're doing xD As for Distant Ward, I agree that it's a sidegrade to DC if anything since it doesn't cover all ranged threats. As @Ice Dragon says, that's a huge issue for PvP stuff (hello, L!Alm). I'm looking forward to Close Ward though.

Speaking of, you know how we get abbreviations for conditions that get explained separately now (like [Panic] and [Guard])? It'd be nice if we got one for [Physical] and [Magical] weapon types too. Close Ward is going to be incredibly wordy without one~

Edit:

19 minutes ago, Othin said:

The real power creep is the beast weapons. They're just Vassal's Blade / Giga Excalibur / Raven King Beak with the Close Call effect added. (Res-based in the case of Selkie's.)

This I agree wholeheartedly with though.

Edited by DefyingFates

1 minute ago, Rinco said:

So, Distant Ward lets ranged units counter melee dragons? Or is DW restricted to melee units only?

It's melee units only. The anti-dragon part is just the stat boost.

Edited by Othin

1 minute ago, Rinco said:

So, Distant Ward lets ranged units counter melee dragons? Or is DW restricted to melee units only?

Distant Ward is Melee units only, even though it grants counterattack to dragons. Against them, only the Atk/Res+5 will be used.

1 hour ago, Rinco said:

It would be fun if it didn't have the restriction. CC against dragons and, when CW comes in, it would give DC against bows and daggers.

The Japanese name of the skill is 明鏡の反撃・遠距離 (meikyou no hangeki: enkyori), "Warding Counter: Distant". I'd assume there would also be "Armored Counter: Distant", "Warding Counter: Close", and "Armored Counter: Close" released at some point in the future.

The "Distant" refers to the Distant Counter half of the effect. The "Ward" refers to the fact that it only activates against magic weapon types. Which means "Close Ward" would be Close Counter + stats against physical weapon types, not Distant Counter + stats against physical weapon types.

Edited by Ice Dragon

So, this was leaked.

Anna first is a Red Bow Infantry with the Fortune Bow (Sabotge Def/Res), Rally Def/Res+, Sabotage Atk and Atk/Spd Gap (She's be a treat for support honestly). Then we get Selkie (NO, YOU GET NO PATS FOR PITY BREAKING ME TWICE), who's colourless cav beat with New Foxkit Fang (SC -1, Giga Excaliber for Res effect, If she has higher Res she takes up to 40% less damage from enemy attacks and AoE specials and the usual beast cav stuff), Iceberg, Distant Ward (Kind of interesting, +5 to Atk/Res and countering regardless of range and all, but it's only really all that for magic based walls. Julia could love it for instance.), Sabotage Spd (Of course) and Odd Res Wave (Because she's not as Res Heavy already). Up next is Lethe, who's a Green Beast Cav with Guardian Fang (Like Selkie's but +3Spd instead of slaying and speed is used instead of Res), Glimmer, Atk/Spd Solo and Lull Spd/Def. Then we get an Alfonse/Sharena duo hero as a Blue tome infantry It's slow, but it's got Imbued Koma (Does that mean we're isekaied in from a coma?) (SC -1, if special is ready, +5 to all stats and unit can't be doubled), Open the Future (Bonfire + healed by 1/4 of damage dealt to HP.), CC, Special Spiral and Def/Res Oath (The opposite of Ceilca's). They also have the duo effect of bringing Cooldown by 2 for infantry. Not gonna lie, I'd only bother with Anna and Al/Sharena duo. And that's a possible maybe on the Anna. Not because they're weak, but because it's more 5* exclusive beasts and despite what you might think Distant Ward isn't so insane, even if I'm tempted to give it to my Canas.

Eir's also a thing, with a red dagger while she's flying (Going after Hel I see), with Temari (Sabotage Atk/Spd), Shove (Worst assist), Brazen Atk/Res and Spd Tactic.

Taking just Colorless and Blues I guess, nothing much to write home here for me.

Selkie falls into that "Wow this would be a cool mega tank to use, but would really benefit from +10" category for me, so I can't see myself using her much if I did get her. I would've preferred her being infantry though, since being a cavalry unit doesn't help much for her EP kit.

NY Eir's weapon is what interests me the most, could potentially feed one copy to my smite bot Eir so she can apply sabotage debuffs in addition to her smite/link/tactics/healing roles

only interested in lethe, and yet not even so sure i should pull for her

anyway what's this trend of making OCs alts for the new year banner? they started last year and felt like doing it once again this year, but... i don't know, i don't think people would be more eager to summon for them than for a potential New Year Ike or similar things

oh well, i guess my opinion doesn't count since i hate every FEH OC

Edited by Yexin

22 minutes ago, Yexin said:

only interested in lethe, and yet not even so sure i should pull for her

anyway what's this trend of making OCs alts for the new year banner? they started last year and felt like doing it once again this year, but... i don't know, i don't think people would be more eager to summon for them than for a potential New Year Ike or similar things

oh well, i guess my opinion doesn't count since i hate every FEH OC

well i am more tempted to pull for Alfonse/Sharena than I would for ike. (so yeah, in that case i wish it were ike and more beasts then i know for sure my orbs would be s-a-f-e). 

but if this is the trend, i should prepare for NY Peony. 

1 hour ago, Yexin said:

Last year was the first time they did a New Years Focus, so this year is just continuing that tradition. (Ignore this part.)

As for summoning, I do not care about Ike outside of Warding Stance and Steady Stance and BH!Ike's combat performance. I know Ike is popular, but I am not sure if he is that popular to the point where a significant portion of paying players would summon him solely because he is their favorite character.

The only characters I have summoned for solely because I like them are Laevatein, Laegjarn, and Loki. All other 5*s I have summoned for are either for gameplay purposes (Dancers/Singers, other support units, various fodder, combat performance) and/or because I wanted to collect them to finish a set (Special Heroes, Lynfinity Gauntlet, Camfinity Gauntlet).

Edited by XRay

18 minutes ago, XRay said:

Last year was the first time they did a New Years Focus, so this year is just continuing that tradition.

As for summoning, I do not care about Ike outside of Warding Stance and Steady Stance and BH!Ike's combat performance. I know Ike is popular, but I am not sure if he is that popular to the point where a significant portion of paying players would summon him solely because he is their favorite character.

The only characters I have summoned for solely because I like them are Laevatein, Laegjarn, and Loki. All other 5*s I have summoned for are either for gameplay purposes (Dancers/Singers, other support units, various fodder, combat performance) and/or because I wanted to collect them to finish a set (Special Heroes, Lynfinity Gauntlet, Camfinity Gauntlet).

Last year was the first time? We got the Fates one two years ago.

6 minutes ago, Othin said:

Last year was the first time? We got the Fates one two years ago.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Never mind.

I feel like I am getting super old. Sometimes I cannot recall a certain unit's name so I had to look up their skill or Focus.

Edited by XRay

22 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The Japanese name of the skill is 明鏡の反撃・遠距離 (meikyou no hangeki: enkyori), "Warding Counter: Distant". I'd assume there would also be "Armored Counter: Distant", "Warding Counter: Close", and "Armored Counter: Close" released at some point in the future.

Huh, well that's an...odd naming choice from the localization team then. I guess the Armored Counters will be called Distant/ Close Stance or D/ C Armor instead?

Didn't know we were getting a bunch of summoning tickets for the New Years banner. Kind of wish they didn't make us log in on five different days to get all the tickets for the newest banner though. Oh well, not going to like it but I guess I will wait until Sunday before jumping all in on red orbs because you never know if those tickets will give you a five star.

Edited by NSSKG151

5 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

Didn't know we were getting a bunch of summoning tickets for the New Years banner. Kind of wish they didn't make us log in on five different days to get all the tickets for the newest banner though. Oh well, not going to like it but I guess I will wait until Sunday before jumping all in on red orbs because you never know if those tickets will give you a five star.

Yeah, it's frustrating. I was looking forward to grabbing Selkie today and then training her during this weekend's double SP event, but now I have to wait.

Between the tickets for quests and the time they just dropped a bunch in a single log-in bonus, I was hoping they wouldn't be doing this anymore, but apparently now.

Man I've only fought these characters in the Paralogue so far and I'm already sick of 'em.  Normally I cheese these things with Ares, but watching Lethe tank a fully buffed + Brazen Bonfire, and one-rounding in return, was...something.  Had to cheese the final map with Seliph instead - the only red unit I have who can survive a round against her (and not by merit of his stats).  Thankfully as a seasonal she won't be too common, but...

Will use the tickets and when the Legendary banner is over then I will start pulling seriously, unless I get Alfonse before. Honestly I just hope this luck from the Legendary banner continues over here and I don't break my tradition of getting all Duo Heroes by luck without sniping for them. I am now collecting them sort of. 

Edited by SuperNova125

6 hours ago, Othin said:

Yeah, it's frustrating. I was looking forward to grabbing Selkie today and then training her during this weekend's double SP event, but now I have to wait.

Between the tickets for quests and the time they just dropped a bunch in a single log-in bonus, I was hoping they wouldn't be doing this anymore, but apparently now.

There's still Tempest Trials to grind SP out of since it will be up by then and bonus units gets extra SP out of it or at least I think do anyways.

3 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

There's still Tempest Trials to grind SP out of since it will be up by then and bonus units gets extra SP out of it or at least I think do anyways.

Yeah, I'll probably use that.