• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Gotcha. Did the same thing in PoR. Especially useful since she becomes mounted upon promoting.

Well....

Mist needs a special promotion item  to promote

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Well....

Mist needs a special promotion item  to promote

Ah, so that was changed. No more one item to promote everyone then. Well, then I'll probably end up giving it to Soren instead. Having an extra healer can't hurt.

Edited by twilitfalchion

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Ah, so that was changed. No more one item to promote everyone then. Well, then I'll probably end up giving it to Soren instead. Having an extra healer can't hurt.

Well, except for Mist and Lords, everyone promotes with same item

3 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

Nice to see RF5 still on track for its release date even with a pandemic going on. RF4 was such a great game. Hopefully RF5 will be an expansion of what RF4 did so well. Maybe have a bigger town, more characters, an orchestrated soundtrack, etc.

Sounds very optimistic. Wonder when they'll start showing off real footage of the game then. I'm skipping RF4 for now, but I might want to get back into it with 5, depending on what it adds and all.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

I suppose the big question is, will it still be top-down like most games in the series or will it be full 3D? I'd prefer the former since you have a bigger field of view when farming.

I prefer top-down for different reasons. Frontier was fine in full 3D, Tides of Destiny not so much, but I liked the appearance of hand-drawn environments over 3D graphics. RF might have a bigger budget this time, but I still don't see the polygon counts and textures being first-class. Then again, with the transition off of pure portables to a hybrid system, maybe the changeover is inevitable. I don't want the abandonment of 2D portraits during conversations either, ToD's choice to do that was stylistically unpleasing, some "anime" artwork beats closeups of second-rate 2D model. 

If it sounds like I'm picking on ToD, it's because visually, it feels "cooler" but not as "quaint, vibrant, harmonious fantasy nature" as the other games. Frontier held onto this vibe, with a rustic touch.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Apparently I thought I had recruited a Gigantes. Turns out I don't have one. Huh, I'm sure I had recruited one. I wonder if something happened and I didn't save after before closing the app. Well, here's to trying to get one all over again. If not... well, might use Rebjørn instead. Also, pft, Starkers has level ups where he gains nothing. In others he only gains like +5 to HP or MP. I guess that's the downside of him reaching to 99, having max stats, and them being quite high already at level 1. At least he has a spread out skill chart. Well, will keep trying next time.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I prefer top-down for different reasons. Frontier was fine in full 3D, Tides of Destiny not so much, but I liked the appearance of hand-drawn environments over 3D graphics. RF might have a bigger budget this time, but I still don't see the polygon counts and textures being first-class. Then again, with the transition off of pure portables to a hybrid system, maybe the changeover is inevitable. I don't want the abandonment of 2D portraits during conversations either, ToD's choice to do that was stylistically unpleasing, some "anime" artwork beats closeups of second-rate 2D model. 

If it sounds like I'm picking on ToD, it's because visually, it feels "cooler" but not as "quaint, vibrant, harmonious fantasy nature" as the other games. Frontier held onto this vibe, with a rustic touch.

I agree. I loved the anime-styled 2D portraits. They had a lot of character and charm, imo.

Speaking of both ToD and Frontier, are either of those worth checking out? The only RF game I've played is 4 and 4S and I was wondering about the Wii/PS3 games and if they were any good.

------------

WTH? My Windows partition has been so glitchy since the latest update a little while ago. Programs have started crashing and I couldn't even get Firefox to open so I could troubleshoot from there. Boot Camp has always been a bit iffy but that update seems to have made things worse.

Ugh... good morning

Found sleep for two hours or something.

At least got awake at time.

I'm super excited for work today...

@twilitfalchion

Blossom is useful on Astrid since she has Paragon. Or use it on units who are very close to a level up (+90 exp.).

Master Crown should be used on units who have capped the important stats fast. Soren should cap magic, skill and resistance early. Give him a few bexp. levels to fix his speed and then use the crown. Then you have another staff user.

Unfortunately it can't be helped if you are living under the roof. The heat can't vanish because it doesn't cool down anymore. Currently having 21 °C which is by far not enough. A climate conditioner wouldn't fix the issue for me since I can't take the coolness and the noise. Also checking out weather; it doesn't look good at all. It becomes slightly cooler at the end of the week, but not enough to cool down (still close to 30 °C).

If it was dry heat like friday when it can cool down at night, then I'd be fine with it. But the tropical conditions since yesterday are poison for me.

Edited by Julian Teehee

13 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oof

Time for a hard drive check and/or system restore

I'll have to give that a go and see if it helps.

11 minutes ago, Julian Teehee said:

Ugh... good morning

Found sleep for two hours or something.

At least got awake at time.

I'm super excited for work today...

@twilitfalchion

Blossom is useful on Astrid since she has Paragon. Or use it on units who are very close to a level up (+90 exp.).

Master Crown should be used on units who have capped the important stats fast. Soren should cap magic, skill and resistance early. Give him a few bexp. levels to fix his speed and then use the crown. Then you have another staff user.

I can definitely relate to having sleep issues. It's rough.

I see. Thank you.

I'm with Armagon in saying, where is our Xenoblade chronicles X port/remake? I really like its gameplay, but the Wii U isnt the best system, so yeah. Fighting Tyrants is easily something I would gladly do all over again if there would be a port.

I was looking at my file and thought about it, and I really would like one.

Edited by lightcosmo

When a trip down memory lane makes you facepalm, but then somehow smile afterwards.😆

And I dusted off an old file of the original Paper Mario I had on my Wii U. I left it back in 2017 in the middle of the volcano. If they ever rerelease it again, plz adjust for input lag! Action-commanded Hammer strikes I can nail fine, but guarding is much harder, "mash stick/button" skills are very hard to max, and my jumps require me to press A at about the time of peak of the jump, not right before impact.

I'll add that the charm is visual in the first PM, not so much in dialogue, which according to its defendants are what CS/TOK have. Although TTYD is generally better than PM1, so maybe they got the combo of visuals and personality there, I think so, but memory can be unreliable.

30 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Speaking of both ToD and Frontier, are either of those worth checking out? The only RF game I've played is 4 and 4S and I was wondering about the Wii/PS3 games and if they were any good.

Both of them are going to be dated by comparison. Every RF definitely seems to have been a gradual improvement over the last, and maybe RF4 was an even bigger improvement. Characters will likely be a little thinner, I can assure you that the games probably won't be as long as 4 and with very weak narratives. There will be less stuff in the gameplay and in the case of Frontier, the combat will be noticeably stiffer and slower.

Farming in Tides of Destiny is very hands-off, too much. Get to an island where you can grow crops, recruit a monster, see what it grows, wave a magic wand over the soil where you see green circles appear, the monsters will seed the ground and do all the crop rearing, all you have to do is harvest them later. Your ore is earned the same way with the winter island- you have monsters grow it and you hammer it out once its at full size.  

The other issue with ToD is a very empty ocean, you'll be wasting daylight dragging a golem limited by stamina through quiet seas en route to another island, once in a while dredging up a mini-island, or fighting very simply a giant monster with your golem.

Frontier's farming is more normal, but you'll find your crops taking longer to grow if you don't interfere with the Runey system. Think of Runeys as a magic food chain, one that if you don't mess with it at all, will naturally bring itself to complete and utter extinction. Runeys don't matter outside of farming though, and fishing can become a sufficient source of cash by the time you're done with the first dungeon.

This said, if you can get the games for a bargain now, your loss wouldn't be big even if you found them antiquated.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Right, I decided to give SMT Nocturne a shot (I will buy it, when it comes out on Switch) 
Havin' fun so far, more than I expected to. Finished the 2nd Kalpa and had a Hell Biker fight I did not deserve at all to win.

I tried to go to sleep last night.
Woke up after, like, half an hour or so.
And now here we are. Morning, everyone!
Oof...

---

Anyway, even though I'm playing my all-time favorite game again, I have not forgotten about Sky, so I'll probably continue that a bit.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Oof...

Oh dear. I'm so sorry!

---

I have determined that Cog of Destiny was located in the tower of London and seems to have been used as a torture device for those who committed the highest crimes.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Both of them are going to be dated by comparison. Every RF definitely seems to have been a gradual improvement over the last, and maybe RF4 was an even bigger improvement. Characters will likely be a little thinner, I can assure you that the games probably won't be as long as 4 and with very weak narratives. There will be less stuff in the gameplay and in the case of Frontier, the combat will be noticeably stiffer and slower.

Farming in Tides of Destiny is very hands-off, too much. Get to an island where you can grow crops, recruit a monster, see what it grows, wave a magic wand over the soil where you see green circles appear, the monsters will seed the ground and do all the crop rearing, all you have to do is harvest them later. Your ore is earned the same way with the winter island- you have monsters grow it and you hammer it out once its at full size.  

The other issue with ToD is a very empty ocean, you'll be wasting daylight dragging a golem limited by stamina through quiet seas en route to another island, once in a while dredging up a mini-island, or fighting very simply a giant monster with your golem.

Frontier's farming is more normal, but you'll find your crops taking longer to grow if you don't interfere with the Runey system. Think of Runeys as a magic food chain, one that if you don't mess with it at all, will naturally bring itself to complete and utter extinction. Runeys don't matter outside of farming though, and fishing can become a sufficient source of cash by the time you're done with the first dungeon.

This said, if you can get the games for a bargain now, your loss wouldn't be big even if you found them antiquated.

I see. Thanks for explaining.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, the first three RF's should get some remasters. Or at least an HD port or something. And hopefully on PC too.

I still don’t really understand why the series has stayed a mostly-Nintendo exclusive. It’s a bit strange tbh.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Oof...

relatable.gif

Sorry to hear that.

Figures I would mention sleep issues last night and find myself awake at 2:30 in the morning

————

Well, Windows is working okay again, so Sky SC should work now as well as any other programs I have. But no guarantee on that one.

Edited by twilitfalchion

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Oh dear. I'm so sorry!

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

relatable.gif

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, guys, I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, twilitfalchion said:

Figures I would mention sleep issues last night and find myself awake at 2:30 in the morning

Sleep issues are the worst.