Jump to content
Zan Partizanne

We L(Ike) Hellos, Games and Teehees

Recommended Posts

Again, FE makes no sense selling like it does being an SJRPG.

Still confusing how it outsold the games we mentioned and others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Again, FE makes no sense selling like it does being an SJRPG.

Still confusing how it outsold the games we mentioned and others.

Actual marketing for once, no competition, otaku pandering, dating sim elements broadening the target audience... A few factors in play, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(and the 2D artwork hasn't aged very well) 

I'd say it's aged fine for the most part. Only time it looks kinda weird is when those portraits where the characters are smiling and it looks like they are squinting their eyes for no reason.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Since when is Fire Emblem a JRPG?

Blanket term.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know that JRPGs aren't that popular. The thing is, SRPGs like FE are even less popular. That's what makes Three Houses's success rather surprising.

2 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Again, FE makes no sense selling like it does being an SJRPG.

Still confusing how it outsold the games we mentioned and others.

Combination of the massive resurgence thanks to Awakening, Smash Bros and Nintendo heavily promoting the series in general.

Also helps that the Switch has a massive playerbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Again, FE makes no sense selling like it does being an SJRPG.

Still confusing how it outsold the games we mentioned and others.

What would the Genre have to do with anything? Fire emblem has the advantage of having a good reputation, and as long as it gets the marketing it needs it will sell well.

Edit: I just wanted to add that tactics games have a really solid and often under-sated base, looking at the "suprise" success of the modern Xcom game that remained a tactical game like its predecessors when compared to the shooter game (when the industry wisdom was that shooters were a popular Genre) with the Xcom brand that came out around the same time

Edited by Eltosian Kadath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fe4 is a great game.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know that JRPGs aren't that popular. The thing is, SRPGs like FE are even less popular. That's what makes Three Houses's success rather surprising.

This one has actual marketing. Plus it’s on the switch, and everyone knows Fire Emblem from smash. I mean, that’s why I tried it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

This one has actual marketing. Plus it’s on the switch, and everyone knows Fire Emblem from smash. I mean, that’s why I tried it.

Yes, I forgot about it but Smash was definitely one of the biggest factors. All those reps are bound to attract some attention at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Fe4 is a great game.

Well, that's not something I expected. Heck, I missed it the first time I read the post. Perhaps there's a Kaga elitist in you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Plus it’s on the switch, and everyone knows Fire Emblem from smash. I mean, that’s why I tried it.

The impact Smash has had on Fire Emblem's success in the west is kinda funny to look at. I know I liked Marth and Roy well before the first Fire Emblem game came out over here (although the marketing for that game was exactly the kinda non-sense that would get kid me to want a game as well...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The impact Smash has had on Fire Emblem's success in the west is kinda funny to look at. I know I liked Marth and Roy well before the first Fire Emblem game came out over here

I remember I didn't give much of a crap about the FE characters in Brawl. It was Youtube videos spoiling Genealogy, Binding Blade and Blazing Sword that got me into it. I mean, guess there's worse ways to get into a franchise.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

(although the marketing for that game was exactly the kinda non-sense that would get kid me to want a game as well...)

N O   M A N   C A N   B E   T R U S T E D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that's not something I expected. Heck, I missed it the first time I read the post. Perhaps there's a Kaga elitist in you?

Haven’t I been singing its praises the whole time? I thought I did. Maybe I didn’t.

Now I just need a computer that can run Berwick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sooks said:

Haven’t I been singing its praises the whole time? I thought I did. Maybe I didn’t.

You complained about enemy squads enough times to make me worry.

Still, I'm glad that you're enjoying it! The more FEs one can enjoy, the better.

Just now, Sooks said:

Now I just need a computer that can run Berwick.

Everyone has that need. Everyone. Or they should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

N O   M A N   C A N   B E   T R U S T E D

Its like one of the two ads I can remember from that era about videogames (the other being this non-sense ad for Golden Sun, which was also a great purchase despite how little it has to do with anything)

Spoiler

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You complained about enemy squads enough times to make me worry.

Probably because that was my only complaint. I’ve added how long it takes to backtrack across maps if that’s necessary but that still could just be a one time thing- with both of those in mind though, I still really like it. I meant to say that earlier, I guess it comes off as less serious when I say that just because I like arena. 

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, that's not something I expected.

Hah! You speak like I only enjoy the modern fire emblems and nothing else. Of the modern FEs, (excluding Echoes because obviously) I only really like two of them (3H and Conquest) with one being pretty good (Birthright) and the other two being not so good (Awakening (which is my least favorite) and Revelation). And I really enjoy the gba titles, for whatever that’s worth. Favoring 3H doesn’t instantly make me an fe zoomer, Ruben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Favoring 3H doesn’t instantly make me an fe zoomer, Ruben.

Only filthy casuals favor 3H. That is the absolute truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

N O   M A N   C A N   B E   T R U S T E D

P O I S O N  I N   H I S   M U T T O N

11 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

the other being this non-sense ad for Golden Sun, which was also a great purchase despite how little it has to do with anything)

*Watches video*

Ah yes, the first thing, first thing i think of when i think about Golden Sun is "this feels like Harry Potter".

I love how the audience was calm the entire time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Only filthy casuals favor 3H. That is the absolute truth.

X7LRrvQ.jpg
I’ve only played on classic mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, it kinda is just plain terrible.

The dull gameplay that has been left vritually unchanged since FE6 isn't going to get any better by forcing the player to spend a lot of time running around in an ugly strip club monastery and managing a calendar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Armagon said:

*Watches video*

Ah yes, the first thing, first thing i think of when i think about Golden Sun is "this feels like Harry Potter".

I love how the audience was calm the entire time.

It's funny that the chandelier actually became summonable. But in the DS game.

Not the GBA games, when that ad came out. The DS game, years after that ad.

I forgot there was a longer version with cymbal throwing at enemies. How has that never happened in a game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The dull gameplay that has been left vritually unchanged since FE6

Wow that’s the most Kaga take I’ve ever seen.

Not bad, just hQcR42p.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't mention this before but the depth perception Baten Kaitos is kinda shit sometimes. Sometimes i just wanna avoid an enemy but i end up bumping into them because i couldn't tell how far apart they were.

Other times, it'll be me trying to get into Corellia's Palace for 10 minutes but not knowing how because the steps leading up to it blends in with everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I like FE3. That's enough Kaga, right?

478936605462102017.png?v=1

You mean the one Kaga game that I don't like because I find it profoundly boring?

Eh, I cannot blame you. You are, after all, the Path of Radiance fan.

7 minutes ago, Sooks said:

X7LRrvQ.jpg
I’ve only played on classic mode.

Oh dear, I've been pwned.

5 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, it kinda is just plain terrible.

The dull gameplay that has been left vritually unchanged since FE6 isn't going to get any better by forcing the player to spend a lot of time running around in an ugly strip club monastery and managing a calendar.

Hey, to its credit, Fates's gameplay quirks were pretty interesting. If the endgame enemies didn't have max stats all across the board it would be even higher than it already is in my ranking. Radiant Dawn had its availability shenanigans to keep it interesting. DSFE were remakes.

No defense for Three Houses, though. It really is the dullest FE covered in a layer of fluff.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Wow that’s the most Kaga take I’ve ever seen.

Not bad, just hQcR42p.jpg

To be fair, he does have a point. Each Kaga game is radically different from the last, with the arguable exception of Vestaria (which he made in his retirement) and TearRing Saga. Compared to that, IntSys's games definitely do feel a lot more samey. Not completely similar, but far less distinct than Kaga's games.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And then you have me, who likes Three Houses’ gameplay... what a lonely little corner this is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And then you have me, who likes Three Houses’ gameplay... what a lonely little corner this is.

Lonely? It's the most popular FE by far. Don't listen to us, we're just a handful of cranky fans of The Good Ol' Dayswho wish the series went in a different direction than it did. Most people love the game to bits.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

And then you have me, who likes Three Houses’ gameplay... what a lonely little corner this is.

pats you on the shoulder while being in the same corner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...