Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

15 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Thankfully, the requirements are more standard.

Great!

15 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Gonna offer the alternate opinion here and say try OG Mystery of the Emblem first.

Play that game's version of book 2 before swinging back to New Mystery. Both are great games with their own merits and faults.

I mean, I’ll definitely play fe3 book 2 eventually, but why should I play that one first?

I'd say play Book 1 as well, but you just played SD and I'm sure you don't want to play most of those maps again.

That and I’ve already played and finished fe1. And, as far as I can tell, fe3 Book 1 is just fe1 but they had even less cartridge space.

Not something you have to do, ofc. Just a suggestion.

Of course!

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Honestly though, @Sooks while I personally still say you should play FE12, it might be worth giving book 2 a shot. Perhaps you'll find the interface less gamebreaking than I did.

I’ll play both eventually, I’m just trying to figure out what to play now.

Fe3’s interface can’t be much different from fe1’s interface, and I was able to finish fe1 so I should be fine.

12 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

New Mystery is noticeably more difficult than SD.

Ooo, this makes me want to pick New Mystery, since what I’m in the mood for now is good gameplay. @Saint Rubenio, at the very least, says fe3 is pretty easy. Though I haven’t heard anyone else’s opinion on it.

Only part of the game I genuinely dislike is how punishing the prologue is on any difficulty above normal. And ambush spawns on hard 1 and above, ofc.

So, does that mean they removed the stupid difficultly limit on the prologue too? Awesome!

10 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Going from FE5 to FE6 was a bruh momento.

Classic teehee, always here to offer me a wide range of opinions.

Bounced off earlier than i bounced off Birthright.

Good to know.

ambush spawns

Oof…

4 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Unlike SD, New Mystery is a lot more consistent with difficulty for the most part. I'd say hard mode is definitely the best mode for a first run.

Fe12 is seeming more and more like the way to go.

ambush spawns

Oof…

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

It must be nice to talk about Fire Emblem on a Fire Emblem forum. I don't replay games very often and I never finished Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones, or Shadow Dragon, but I'm not in the mood for any of those right now.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I dug a hole halfway to hell. Next time, I will finish digging the hole to hell. Having easy access to hell will be nice.

Speaking of easy access, you can fish in lava to obtain a Demon Conch, which immediately teleports you to the underworld. I got it by making a lava lake with a Bottomless Lava Bucket, which is also obtained by fishing in lava. Lava fishing requires a special rod or bait unless you use a Lavaproof Fishing Hook which is, again, obtained by fishing in lava.

I think glorified cameo is much better than being killed off for like the Nth time... but still, a rare sight to see Musashi surviving a SRW game that's not sequential.

---

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Great!

In fact, they have two ways to unlock them. A turn limit, or a specific objective. So just fulfill one and you're good to go.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh yeah, I should probably have mentioned the prologue. @Sooks The prologue maps are smaller and feel more puzzley than the rest of the game. They're generally regarded as one of the most difficult parts of New mystery, but on the other hand, since they're so tiny, the strategies to deal with them are easy to replicate. Not to mention, a tanky Kris breaks them in half. Please don't be discouraged if you have some trouble with them. Not all of the game is like them.

This, and also no units can actually die permanently in the prologue even on classic mode. So that's something.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I guess that's a point, but the difficulty is just... It might be easier than Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance. You basically only play that game if you want to watch a movie that lasts 20 hours, and story isn't even a draw like it is for PoR. I coasted through it without even understanding the HUD, I mean, it doesn't get much more brainless than that.

I mean, sure. I don't mind it much.

Sheesh, no love for the Boy.

Honestly though, I can see it. I'm super fond of it, but it's... kind of a badly made game, to be quite honest.

I like Roy our Boy:tm: better in Smash. 😄

I don't care much for Binding Blade, but it does have some aspects I like, tbf.

It just desperately needs a remake to fix the issues.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

mean, I’ll definitely play fe3 book 2 eventually, but why should I play that one first?

The way I see it. Better to play an older game before moving to a newer one to appreciate where improvements have been made even more. 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Oof

Same deal as Shadow Dragon. Watch out for forts, save points help. Sucks that they exist, I really do wish they didn't, but they're not that bad, in my humble opinion.

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

This, and also no units can actually die permanently in the prologue even on classic mode. So that's something.

The problem is that if you lose more than one unit in the prologue, you have to play chapter 3 quickly. And that's terrible, chapter 3 being what it is.

Also you lose money at the start of chapter 1 but that's kinda whatever.

I mean, sure. I don't mind it much.

Different priorities, I suppose.

I like Roy our Boy:tm: better in Smash. 😄

I don't care much for Binding Blade, but it does have some aspects I like, tbf.

It just desperately needs a remake to fix the issues.

This is why I want a remake of it rather than 4. Genealogy is fine for what it is, a remake can't really do much without changing fundamental aspects of the game. Binding Blade could be truly great with some remake fixes, though.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

This is why I want a remake of it rather than 4. Genealogy is fine for what it is, a remake can't really do much without changing fundamental aspects of the game. Binding Blade could be truly great with some remake fixes, though.

SoV did it fine for the most part. At least when it came to the game aspects of it. The story is another thing.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Fe3’s interface can’t be much different from fe1’s interface, and I was able to finish fe1 so I should be fine.

It's defintely better.

Then again, I am one of those people who just noped at SDatBoL.

4 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of easy access, you can fish in lava to obtain a Demon Conch, which immediately teleports you to the underworld. I got it by making a lava lake with a Bottomless Lava Bucket, which is also obtained by fishing in lava. Lava fishing requires a special rod or bait unless you use a Lavaproof Fishing Hook which is, again, obtained by fishing in lava.

Does every one of these crafting games have a firey hell?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The problem is that if you lose more than one unit in the prologue, you have to play chapter 3 quickly. And that's terrible, chapter 3 being what it is.

I thought it was 0.

Okay, that's some leeway I suppose.

I wouldn't take that bet actually, no matter my opinion on all the remakes being imporvements I do think that any remakes will likely change things that cause some consternation.

To provide a counter opinion: The only way i would enjoy NM is my abusing Save states to an  absolute degree due to how much i got screwed by ambush spawns. Not what i'd call fun. The only other way is to turtle super hard which is not my idea of fun

Also you lose money at the start of chapter 1 but that's kinda whatever.

Oh, huh. Didn't know that.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Same deal as Shadow Dragon. Watch out for forts, save points help. Sucks that they exist, I really do wish they didn't, but they're not that bad, in my humble opinion.

I hate ambushes as much as the next guy, but yeah. At least the forts are a general way of making where the spawns come from obvious.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'd agree.

Though if the FE4 remake comes first, I'd say the Echoes treatment is perfect for Genealogy. Anything but a largely faithful remake would taint the game's creative vision too much, IMO.

And honestly, I've come to love the game enough that too many changes would irritate me to no end would be disappointing.

What would make or break a remake of fe4 for me is if they keep the enemy blocks intact or actually design the maps. Those things are by the far biggest flaw fe4 has imo, and cutting them would be perfectly fine since they don’t do much for the “creative vision” or “gameplay story integration”, and even if they did, is it really worth having those things if your game isn’t enjoyable anymore?

On 10/8/2020 at 12:47 AM, Father Shrimpas said:

oh boy, here we go xD

But first, i wanna say something: I played 3DS, Tellius and Jugdral games first, and if we are talking from only pure gameplay prespective, Conquest is by far the best in the series imo, so that might also have influenced my dislike of the GBA/DS games quite a bit, and why i find them lacking. The following are my thoughts about the GBA games, some of which i copied (and edited to be a bit less heated) from an old discussion i had on the subreddit a while back, with most of them being FE6 specific:

• Early Game Hitrates. Oh God, they are so bad with any non-sword users, it's an insta turn off. It's also the main reason i was so wary of checking out Berwick saga, since FE6 hit rates were not a pleasant experience in the slightest.

• Roy being a seize button. I hate using units who are a burden, and the lord being a burden is a big no no for me.

• To add to that, FE6 has probably the worst unit balance in the series from what i experienced. Most of the cast are downright useless, and you are basically forced to use Marcus, who should be a crutch (like Jagens usually are) and not forced use. Until Midgame it's mostly Marcus or Rutger emblem, until you get someone like Miledy.

• Alot of times FE6 felt like a Wannabe FE4, but with 'smaller' maps (Seize Fest, enemy unit spam, the recruitment theme, and even then maps were quite big), with map design that i thought was just as bad as FE4, without anything that made FE4 the unique experience that it was. Add to that the x maps were revelation tier gimmicky (Kishuna maps in FE7 were a big yikes). Don't let me even start on the requirements for the x chapters.

• The big fish: Ambush spawns. Oh God, those trigger me so much. I'd rather play FE10 ch 4-4, CQ FoxLunatic or FE4 ch7 (which are 3 of my most hated maps in the series) then play a map with STRs in the middle of the map that can one shot your units. Something you can't plan against isn't challenging, it's bullshit. Atleast in FE5 most ambush spawns up until late game were quite fair. 

• The lack of features: This might be because i checked GBA games last, but they miss alot of stuff i love. Skills and combat Arts are a big one here, and for me, skills define a unit more than pure stats. FE without skills i just consider barebones. It's like salad without Dressings, Food without toppings, etc. All in all going from FE5 to FE6 felt like one big major downgrade.

• Meh story. They were nothing special. Only FE8 had a kinda interesting villain.
  • Support building and support limits..... Actually, introducing the atrocity that is the support system which FE will probably never change.

• I personally despise the Con System. Or atleast how it's implemented. FE5 did it better with Con growths, as an example

• Lack of Dual Classes and Str/Mag split. I really find it fun to experiment and sometimes, for example, use my unit's weaker stat to target enemy's weaker stat. Or just more variety in general. Magical Swords not using a unit's Mag stat for example was always a ''???'' moment for me.

• FE7 is generally zzz, and FE8 i had to use a difficulty mode and not use Seth to have fun.

FE12 shares quite alot of problems as well, but to a lesser degree. For one, i am a fan of how the DS games changes the Hit/Avo formulas used and how the Accuracy was high in general. But that's also where my praise for the DS games stop. They are the remakes, so maybe that's why they were so lacking...

But i am of the opinion that remakes shouldn't be that faithful.

Honestly though, i was kinda enjoying FE12 atleast, unlike FE6, that i didn't enjoy at all. However the Ambush spawns in FE12 were even more bullshit than FE6, imo. There was also the thing with the balance going in the direction of ''Player units super weak, enemy units strong'' with all your units getting one rounded while you one rounding anything is almost impossible. Like my Archers couldn't oneshot fliers in chapter 3... Wyverns that rush you in a weird way.

There was also the thing with Marth being the only one able to visit villages (or was that only FE11? i might confuse this lol), which just is hella annoying. I honeslty wasn't a big fan of many of the maps, either.

While ''strong enemy units'' might seem like a weird complaint, since i complain how most FEs have enemy units with low quality, the enemies shouldn't be so strong that you need 4 player units to take out a generic mob. And in general, Def stats should be low (for both player and enemy) to encourage player phase focus. Giving enemies, even mobs, skills, is also much better than stat inflation. See Conquest in how to make high quality enemies that are actually threatining without making player units feel useless. The skills placement in Conquest is almost perfection Why is poison strike a thing though. Berwick is also doing well in that regard, so far, which i am a fan of.

And there you have it, phew. I might've missed a couple things, dunno, probably xD

My wall of text from back then

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

>Removes Pyrathi

>Keeps Lefcandith

I still can't believe that happened.

Wait...they removed Pyrathi? I didn't know that. Man...I want to look forward to book1 one day, not be sad about it.

The way i see it, FE6 cut away everything i loved from FE5, while amplified everything i hated

"Ok so you know how you could block the plentiful killer weapons users with scrolls and capture them? No. Enemies have a million status staves, but you don't get to take them or attack them back like in Thracia because hit rate is determined by res which they have 20 of. You're welcome"

Ehh, at least FE6 is a fun challenge from time to time. Thracia is so easily broken with enough scroll memes and/or stave captures. but then again that's a part of the fun

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Let us scream together.

I'll start.

*bass boost Sans text noise intensifies*

I'm too happy to scream, since I actually just survived chapter 16 in the New Mystery ironman without losing anyone...even though I basically just Malicia nos-tank'd the map.

shut up I'm still happy

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, well, decently fair in spite of that. We both know we can't reach an agreement here.

Considering how there's a quite a lot of FE games with ambush spawns (at least when playing on high difficulties), I think you just learn to get used to it. At least New Mystery has those battle saves, Old Mystery doesn't.

19 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Joining the FE6 hate train!

Aw, well now I feel bad for the poor fella. What about...Gonzales?

As for FE4 remake

Well, i don’t want it to be FE4 HQ or just minor changes. I played FE4, i liked it, but i don’t wanna just play the same game with shinier graphics.

The more radical the changes the better. I really am not fan of any of the current FE remakes because they are alll way too faithful. Yes, even SoV with the changes it brought.

Now, i am not saying ‘‘Let’s abolish giant maps’’, but more like let’s design them differently (no invisible yellow walls as an example). Game should be more flexible with the maps, objectives, and especially the enemy placement (especially those awful low quality high quantity enemy blocks). The game also needs to be balanced from the ground up again. My most requested change would be to change the inventory system to normal FE however because i the extra micromanagement was just a chore and the seperate money pool lead to heavy snowballing as only strong characters were able to get the money & Items. For Inheritance i hope they let the kids be able to inherit classes from their parents ala FE13/14 so players can make more fun pairings. This will add to replayability as well.

Story wise, i think Gen 2 needs to be massively improved. As much as i enjoyed Gen 1, i found Gen 2 story and characters to be a massive nosedive and on par with your typical ‘‘let’s kill evil dragon’’ FE, if not worse. FE4 was my 2nd FE, after Fates, and during the whole 2nd Gen my thoughts on the Story were ‘‘This is just Anankos 1995 edition’’. Make it less white & Black, more focus on the discriminated Loptyr, maybe add some story elements and characters from Thracia (Sara, Salem, Caias) to imrpove Gen 2 story. Also more Characterization to Arvis in Gen 1 to make him not appear like a total fool in Gen 2 would be cool.

Support system would be cool for characterization and pairing, also no Avatar unless he gets BBQ’d as well.

My expectations are something akin to SoV tho, something that’s way way way to faithful.

a small-ish Wall of Text this time

5 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Alot of times FE6 felt like a Wannabe FE4, but with 'smaller' maps (Seize Fest, enemy unit spam, the recruitment theme, and even then maps were quite big), with map design that i thought was just as bad as FE4, without anything that made FE4 the unique experience that it was. Add to that the x maps were revelation tier gimmicky (Kishuna maps in FE7 were a big yikes). Don't let me even start on the requirements for the x chapters.

The phrase “revelation tier gimmicky” hasn’t aged too well for you, has it?

1 minute ago, Shaky Jones said:

Wait...they removed Pyrathi? I didn't know that. Man...I want to look forward to book1 one day, not be sad about it.

It's definitely the worst map removal.

Spoilers if you don't want more than I've already given.

Spoiler

They also drop 4, 13, 18 and 22.

12 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

hh, at least FE6 is a fun challenge from time to time. Thracia is so easily broken with enough scroll memes and/or stave captures. but then again that's a part of the fun

Broken, or slapping the player in the face with difficulty, yeah.

Ngl, I just wish Thracia would be the least bit consistent with its challenge. Swings between the two extremes enough to be frustrating, IMO anyway.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

SoV did it fine for the most part. At least when it came to the game aspects of it. The story is another thing.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Elibe

Guinivere's long lost step cousin is introduced. He saves Guinivere when she gets captured five times in a row. Merlinus finds him trustworthy even though he's wearing a mask. Roy is now the chosen one and Idun wants to bone him the moment she sees him.

25 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Oh, I almost missed this.

That's neat knowledge to have... But I think I'll stick to digging my hole for now. It also allows easier access to the caverns, and it'll serve an alternate purpose later on.

13 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Though if the FE4 remake comes first, I'd say the Echoes treatment is perfect for Genealogy. Anything but a largely faithful remake would taint the game's creative vision too much, IMO.

And honestly, I've come to love the game enough that too many changes would irritate me to no end would be disappointing.

Yeaaah I'd straight up pass ona Genealogy remake. I have zero interest in playing it again. I saw all I wanted to see, I used Arden and Hannibal, I got my funny meme boss kill video. Any subsequent runs would just end in burnout, I'm pretty sure. I barely tolerated the gameplay my first time around.

Berwick is also doing well in that regard, so far, which i am a fan of.

Oh wow, this means that wall might've been from my first days in the thread. We really do have a bad habit of welcoming newcomers by hating on their fav FEs, don't we...

11 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

too happy to scream, since I actually just survived chapter 16 in the New Mystery ironman without losing anyone...even though I basically just Malicia nos-tank'd the map.

shut up I'm still happy

I didn't know what happiness felt like until I tried lunatic for the first time and found Yubello becoming my unironically best unit and Yumina becoming tankier than Elrean.

Those two carried my run so hard. Mostly Yubello, but Yumina was epic too.

12 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Aw, well now I feel bad for the poor fella. What about...Gonzales?

T R E C K

7 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee xD

Now that i didn't bounce off Revelation super early on xD

You could say the fact that Rev is a pretty rad FE actually has been quite the... Revelation.

Oh wow, this means that wall might've been from my first days in the thread. We really do have a bad habit of welcoming newcomers by hating on their fav FEs, don't we..

xD

It was while i was playing Berwick yeah, which as you know i ended up loving.

You could say the fact that Rev is a pretty rad FE actually has been quite the... Revelation.

badum tsss

Well, i wouldn't say Rad, but like, Thracia Tier, i guess? Maybe a bit weaker due to super shitty story

2 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

drum-set-jaiden.gif

My jokes are just like the ocean's gray waves: the humor is always just out of reach.

They are also like rebellions because they are like seeds, one must salt the earth before they sprout.

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

xD

It was while i was playing Berwick yeah, which as you know i ended up loving.

I was happy.

1 minute ago, Father Shrimpas said:

badum tsss

Well, i wouldn't say Rad, but like, Thracia Tier, i guess? Maybe a bit weaker due to super shitty story

I will not have such slander of the game with the T-posing Garon scene in it on my watch. You take that back now.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

You know what that means Benice, hurry it up!

I'll get movin' on Sky after this weekend, I think. I've got a bunch of concerts occupying me this one, but after that... Not much.

7 minutes ago, Benice said:

I'll get movin' on Sky after this weekend, I think. I've got a bunch of concerts occupying me this one, but after that... Not much.

I was actually joking there, play whatever you want to!