Book VII Discussion Thread

DefyingFates

Now that cyl is officially over and we know we are getting Brave Gullveig I wonder if IS is secretly happy that we gave them a way to deal with time sheningans. Time manipulation powers are tough to deal with in a satisfying way but now they have an easier out in just saying the Brave version is canceling her other selfs  powers so we can win.  They had to have a plan without it of course because cyl is not a sure thing but simple solutions that makes sense are absolutely better than convoluted plot devices that exist so the villain doesn't win. 

Granted they still have to make the Brave version make sense but I am betting it leads to a better outcome than magical anti-Gullveig plot item/plot magic saving the day like we got with Sutr and Hel.

On another note I do think the chances of Gullveig and Heior being strongly related or outright the same person are pretty high just based on their designs and the trailer for the book. If it is true I think that we could get a set up for the next book with how she changed into Gullveig as there probably is someone who led her to change.  With chapter 13 being the way it is if there is someone who caused Heior to change into Gullveig I think it's being saved until the end and be the lead into the next chapter and Gullveig is the finale of this book. I just hope if this is the route they go they do it well and in a way that doesn't weaken Gullveig's charcter.

Edited by vikingsfan92

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Nerthus (I will be using the modern spelling because I don't even know how to type how FEH spelled it), is a goddess commonly associated with Njordr. She is the Norse Vanir goddess of fertility and was worshipped through a ritualistic cart procession, and may be the unnamed sister-wife of Njörðr, the father of Freyr and Freyja. Interestingly her old Norse name roughly translates to 'The Contented Powerful One' or 'The Contented Paradise' depending on if use the Old Irish or Old English entomology. Both Nerthus and Njordr also have a link to the obscure Norse goddess Njorun, another contender to be Njordr's mystery sister wife.

As for in FEH, from the bit of dialogue and preview of a battle we saw she doesn't seem to like Njordr and our heroes by association. If she is indeed his wife, or rather former wife, in this universe then their falling out could be related to how their children turned out or even the Golden Curse.

Edited by Deathcon

3 hours ago, Deathcon said:

So Nerthus (I will be using the modern spelling because I don't even know how to type how FEH spelled it), is a goddess commonly associated with Njordr. She is the Norse Vanir goddess of fertility and was worshipped through a ritualistic cart procession, and may be the unnamed sister-wife of Njörðr, the father of Freyr and Freyja. Interestingly her old Norse name roughly translates to 'The Contented Powerful One' or 'The Contented Paradise' depending on if use the Old Irish or Old English entomology. Both Nerthus and Njordr also have a link to the obscure Norse goddess Njorun, another contender to be Njordr's mystery sister wife.

As for in FEH, from the bit of dialogue and preview of a battle we saw she doesn't seem to like Njordr and our heroes by association. If she is indeed his wife, or rather former wife, in this universe then their falling out could be related to how their children turned out or even the Golden Curse.

Thank you for this mythology crash course! I doubt IntSys would want to make her seem old by making her Freyr/ Freyja's mother in FEH, but even so I'm curious to see how their relationship turns out here!

It should be mentioned that Njorun has already been used by (who else?) one of the 12 crusaders in FE4 ie the original wielder of the Gae Bolg. So that may be another reason they chose the name of Nerthus instead of Njorun.

Edited by Deathcon

38 minutes ago, Deathcon said:

It should be mentioned that Njorun has already been used by (who else?) one of the 12 crusaders in FE4 ie the original wielder of the Gae Bolg. So that may be another reason they chose the name of Nerthus instead of Njorun.

Oh yeah, good point! I forgot they didn't use "Odin" because of Owain xD

Looks like we had another mistranslated line in FEH, Nerthus was called Freyja and Freyr's aunt. Again Nerthus could be both their mother AND aunt since as I said before Njordr had a sister-wife in Norse myth who presumably birthed the two gods.

Either way my guess is when we eventually go into the past we will get clarification on both this and a much more hostile Nerthus.

1 hour ago, Deathcon said:

Looks like we had another mistranslated line in FEH, Nerthus was called Freyja and Freyr's aunt. Again Nerthus could be both their mother AND aunt since as I said before Njordr had a sister-wife in Norse myth who presumably birthed the two gods.

Either way my guess is when we eventually go into the past we will get clarification on both this and a much more hostile Nerthus.

Mistranslated? Was the Japanese version different?

2 hours ago, Xenomata said:

Gonna be a shame when she's inevitably killed off...

True, but she's a woman so she has a chance of being put in a coma or something instead. Like daughter, like mother and all that.

Looks like we had another mistranslated line in FEH, Nerthus was called Freyja and Freyr's aunt.

I assume this is what was said in the JP version? I thought it odd that IS would make Nerthus a mother (and less of a pure "just-for-me" waifu* that certain parts of the community look for), so her being intended to be Freyr and Freyja's aunt makes a lot of sense.

* Though we still don't hear anything about the father, so those fans still have that going for them at least.

33 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

True, but she's a woman so she has a chance of being put in a coma or something instead. Like daughter, like mother and all that.

I dunno about that... the OCs in Heroes don't exactly have high survivability rates in their books. Heck, they introduce the actual god of life herself just to kill her off a few Tempest Trials later. Plus since they keep introducing women, inevitably some of those bodies are going to be said women...
Then again, Book 7 is probably not done introducing characters yet, considering there's only been 5 so far. The minimum seems to be at least 6 (including the freebie hero and main villain), not counting Book 6 which only had 5 new characters, but it also had a far heavier focus on existing characters.

Edited by Xenomata

4 minutes ago, Xenomata said:

I dunno about that... the OCs in Heroes don't exactly have high survivability rates in their books. Heck, they introduce the actual god of life herself just to kill her off a few Tempest Trials later. Plus since they keep introducing women, inevitably some of those bodies are going to be said women...
Then again, Book 7 is probably not done introducing characters yet, considering there's only been 5 so far. The minimum seems to be at least 6 (including the freebie hero and main villain), not counting Book 6 which only had 5 new characters, but it also had a far heavier focus on existing characters.

True, in hindsight I didn't know what I was thinking when I said that. My bad!

11 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

True, in hindsight I didn't know what I was thinking when I said that. My bad!

It's not like it's bad to guess a coma could happen, but... well... she doesn't seem important enough to put in a coma.
Best guess, either she's gonna take over when the old man dies since male OCs have the life expectancy of a goldfish living in a blender, or she's gonna perish whenever she apparently meets the gang for the first time... again? That part was confusing...

Edited by Xenomata

1 minute ago, Xenomata said:

or she's gonna perish whenever she apparently meets the gang for the first time... again? That part was confusing...

There seems to be a stable time loop in play: she helps the gang out now, then the gang will go to the past and help her out then.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

I assume this is what was said in the JP version? I thought it odd that IS would make Nerthus a mother (and less of a pure "just-for-me" waifu* that certain parts of the community look for), so her being intended to be Freyr and Freyja's aunt makes a lot of sense.

* Though we still don't hear anything about the father, so those fans still have that going for them at least.

Yup. It is a bit understandable as the second character in the Japanese word for aunt means mother.

Okay, playing the new chapter now. Ar is the source of Njordr's power, like how the world tree gave birth to Askr. Nerpuz is Njordr's sister, she stole his Ar and is keeping it in the Land Temple. Interesting Okay, that's something, especially since Embla was already a goddess of Earth (element.) Hmm he sure is insisting that his Ar be returned to him. He says it's the only way to defeat Gullveig.

... I just noticed the little plate strapped on Heidr's hip. The heck is that even trying to guard anything from? ... Seidr has one on each hip, too, but hers almost make sense. Still... *siiiiiiigh...*

Aaaand more player pandering from Heidr. "Please look after my sister if something happens to me and she gets sad since you're special to her." Like...we just met. This would mean more if it wasn't the player she was talking to. And then a thing about food with Sharena. ... Ehhh these "camp conversations" feel too lighthearted/fluffy to me... I'm actually finding them kind of annoying...

Ah. So...this is Freyr and Freyja's mom. ........ Uhhhh we kind of killed her son...and her daughter put herself into a coma.... Hm. There's some potential for a continuation of Triandra and Plumeria's quest to revive Freyja, but that's probably being saved for the Book 4 TT+ focus. So, the goat siblings' uncle is Njordr... ... Dang, she's like a kid in a pile of plushes! Pff- Sharena being all embarrassed by that snuggle! XD Heh! Even Anna's blushing. And poor Alfonse, trying to keep on mission! XD ...Hmmm looks like she's kind of wicked under all that sugar... They come with "vile intentions" just because they want to save their world? At least, that's the line she used right after Sharena tried to clear up their intentions. Man, I wish this lady would just explain the situation. It could be that she's trying to save the world from her brother, if he really is the secret villain.

Well, onward to Ch7 Prt4.

Okay, she's a black goat. Sure. Also, we got the Ar because she thinks we're cute. Sure. OH WOW okay, I guess she met Sharena before when she was little. Maybe when visiting her kids? ................Ow that pun. XD "Kids." Oh wow. She met Alfonse before too? Oh wait. Okay, looks like Nerpuz is just refering to time travel shenanigans. And it looks like Sharena has a role to play. And that role is...."be cute." When she has something troubling her that she needs to ask Nerpuz in the past, which we'll be going to at some point, which will be the first time Nerpuz meets us, and the second time we meet her. Ok.

Well. That was something. I hope we get to meet Tiny Freyr and Tiny Freyja. Actually, that would line up nicely, I think, if they decided to make the next child banner of various gods and put it into the story proper, since we'll be going back in time to when at least Seidr was little, based on what she'd said before -- that she'd met the summoner back when she was a child. Anyway, those are my reactions, though they're not organized very well. Oh well.

Edit after reading what people had to say here:

Ah, so it's actually that Nerpuz is Freyr and Freyja's aunt, according to @Deathcon. I wonder if that means that Njordr is their dad, or if there's another sibling somewhere. I don't think they'll go for the whole "she's their mom but also their aunt" thing, but it's not like IS hasn't done stuff like that before. (Looking at you, Fates, and probably others. Like, I think there was specific, planned blood mixing in FE4 too.) Kind of amazing how much Njordr and Nerpuz's FEH versions mirror their Nordic counterparts.

@Xenomata

DANG that imagery of the comparison for the lifespans of male FEH characters. XD I guess Hrid is the one who got away? (Alfonse doesn't quite count. He did die in another timeline (hence Lif) that leaked into this one, and that's probably as close as we're getting to him actually dying.)

Anyway, it's not just men. The gods have been being killed off one by one, and if Rearmed Lif's castle text is anything to go by, the fact that he's kind of owned by the gods will eventually lead to him reappearing as an enemy for the Askrans. I'm sure this is going towards Ragnarok, when all the gods will be destroyed. In fact, I think it's already happening, and will end with Alfador kicking the bucket. So, unless some of these guys get immunity (like how all the freebie units did) then even Seidr will wind up dead by the end of it. But yeah, male gods are basically DOA.

@DefyingFates

Personally, I feel like you've got the right of it. And yeah, Nerpuz could very well go into a coma, or be spared for a while until Ragnarok. She has...a lot of extra padding around her heart and lungs. Clearly this has nothing to do with bias. Not like female characters ever get pushed for sympathy from the player, even when they've committed heinous acts against humanity. Nope. This is a FAIR system, for sure!

Edited by Mercakete

So far Nerphuz seems kinda like a filler character, but her acting like a smitten mom to the group is cute. That said her going ''Oh Alfonse-kun, its adorable how you murdered both my children!'' could just as well imply she's either evil or so neglectful she doesn't know what happened in book 4.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the Summoner will be kept captured by Gullveig for most of the Past arc, probably rescued once Gullveig chases the Order of Heroes personally leading to the moment where young Seidr meets them.

Speaking of Seidr, the soul child thing… Assuming it isn’t just more fan service, and I don’t think it will as Seidr went too deep into the mechanics of it to just tease it, I won’t be surprised if it comes up in someway. Either as another potential McGuffin to defeat Gullveig or, as some have perhaps jokingly theorized, the true origin of Gullveig that isn’t the sister.

I've only played through Ch8 Part 1 and... Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wat. No. Not interested. Keep your soapy hands off of my soul, Seidr; I'm not into you that way.

Also, called that the place we'd escape to would be the past. Still, I didn't foresee Gullveig keeping the summoner from going with the others.

Anyway, time to go more fully into the analysis. So, again, the deities seem very interested in the summoner. Even Gullveig specifically singled out Kiran (maybe she's actually Kiran's kid? While also being the "little sister" of Seidr? Does that mean that Seidr names her after herself as Heidr, and then they meet when timelines get messed up and Seidr adopts her as her sister without realizing that she's her daughter?) But yeah, this has gone kind of otome, huh? Except it's very forced. I feel pretty creeped out by it since I'm pretty sure Kiran will choose to make a kid even if I don't want to. ... That's about all the analysis this time, I guess. Stop being awkward, IS. It's just really bad this time.

Looks like the Summoner will be kept captured by Gullveig for most of the Past arc, probably rescued once Gullveig chases the Order of Heroes personally leading to the moment where young Seidr meets them.

Speaking of Seidr, the soul child thing… Assuming it isn’t just more fan service, and I don’t think it will as Seidr went too deep into the mechanics of it to just tease it, I won’t be surprised if it comes up in someway. Either as another potential McGuffin to defeat Gullveig or, as some have perhaps jokingly theorized, the true origin of Gullveig that isn’t the sister.

I said it before and I’ll say it again. If Kieran’s kidnapped then who’s controlling and summoning my units?

32 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again. If Kieran’s kidnapped then who’s controlling and summoning my units?

Eitri

Also, Kieran isn't in Heroes yet. You mean Kiran. (Though I do wish that THE MIGHTY KIERAN would finally make his appearance in Heroes. Oscar and Geoffrey are waiting for him.)

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Gatekeeper?

So we're doing that type of pandering this book, huh? Too bad I have no interest in Seidr so that falls flat.

I will give credit that I'm now not sure who Gullveg is anymore, so at least they threw me off the trail a bit.