C. Refa vs. Dandragon

D. Vennobennu vs. Espinosa

E. AnonymousSpeed vs. Baldrick

F. GeneralHorace vs. Psych

G. Shin vs. Tables

H. ZM vs. Athena

italics - team approved

bold - winner

An event I promised I'd host as long as I have more free time than usual.

This is my attempt at hosting the first "larger" forum LA event, done in tournament, double elimination, style. Users are randomly seeded against each other in a bracket and face each other in Link Arena games - the game is FE9 (Path of Radiance), and we are using average stats with custom skills and boosters. It made sense to me to make the event in what is arguably our most developed, balanced and interestingly shaped metagame.

For more information on the Link Arena and FE9 LA specifically, check out the enclosed Link Arena FAQ.

The list of boosters available to the players:

3 seraph robes
2 energy drops
2 spirit dusts
3 secret books
4 speedwings
2 dracoshields
2 talismans
2 ashera icons
2 statue frags

Royal Laguz cannot take any boosters, while the dragons (Nasir and Ena) can have 4 stat boosters maximum (stats up to the player to decide), sharing them with the rest of the team.

The following custom skills (one of each available) can be installed on your units alongside characters' innate skills and mastery skills assigned via 4 available Occult scrolls:

SP Name

5  Miracle
10 Counter
10 Vantage
10 Guard
10 Gamble
10 Adept
15 Renewal
10 Wrath
5  Shade
5  Provoke
5 Parity
15 Nihil
10 Resolve

Foot units, Mist and normal Laguz have 25 SP for skills, mounted units - 20 SP, dragons - 40 SP, royals can delete the skills they come with but cannot be assigned any custom skills. Wrath/Resolve is banned on the dragons.

Other rules include:

- Shade/Provoke function for the first two turns defending, former making units untargetable, latter forcing the opponent to attack the unit. Nullified by Nihil and Parity users.

- One Laguz royal per team.

- Ike's Ragnell is banned.

- Ike x Oscar support is banned.

Consulting the FE9 custom averages Tier List can be a good idea before you start building your team, and the write-ups and generated discussions could prove to be useful.

This is the topic for signing up for the event; simply post if you're interested and ready to participate starting about a week from now.

I expect to be ready to help finish every match that I'm not involved myself (I'd also like to play) as a host, but somebody else would have to host my game and it'd very helpful if I could have some support in other games as a host since I am not in the best time zone to finish the matches in one sitting any longer. If you're willing to help out with hosting, please let me know, as the mechanics / hosting procedure aren't simple in this particular metagame.

I'm not quite sure how many players we could expect, but eight is enough to start with quarterfinals, and in the event we have more people I'd prefer to start with a first round where some users are randomly determined to wait out until the next round rather than have a list of replacements that don't get to have any action because experience with the arena shows that hosting matches in a timely manner isn't a huge issue at all assuming the host isn't gone for any length periods of time.

Participants:

1. ZM

2. Refa

3. Randa

4. Elieson

5. PKL

6. Dandragon

7. Dio

8. Espinosa

9. Psych

10. Tables

11. Baldrick

12. Shin

13. AnonymousSpeed

14. GeneralHorace

15. Athena

16. Vennobennu

Replacements:

1. Polydeuces

2. bearclaw

3. Rolanmen1

Hosts:

Espinosa

PKL

General Horace

If you have any questions on-topic or find that I'm missing something, do post about it.

Edited by Espinosa

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be Double Elimination.

Also, put a number next to the skills saying how many of them there are in the game.

I haven't thought about that much, but it's not a bad idea. Estimating how much longer this would make the event is a good idea, and I feel like the number of potential hosts would have much influence on this too.

And done, thanks for pointing that out!

Also, please don't PM me any teams until the deadline, as I may well end up facing your team myself. You could start typing up your team anytime of course, and here's a proposed sample of what one of the characters could look like, taken from the LA FAQ:

Oscar

A Tanith +30 avo

B Kieran +5 hit, +15 avo

Boyd Bond: +10 crit

Skills: Resolve, Vantage

Boosters: 1 Dracoshield, 1 Goddess Icon, 2 Talismans

Silver Lance+

Wishblade

Brave Lance

Silver Bow+

@Knight Ward*

-Laguzguard

*Oscar starts with the Knight Ward, but can switch to the Laguzguard in the middle of the battle before attacking somebody (must be chosen by the player and announced during the generated round of combat by the host).

Edited by Espinosa

Single Elim is dumb is all. If it ends up being Double Elim I'll definetely be in :D

I'll try to research the subject a little and tell you (and everyone) what I come up with; Single Elimination isn't set in stone. Don't have any prior experience designing tourneys with brackets and all that, though I've already signed up on a website that lets me randomise a bracket and Print Screen it into an image that doesn't fit on the computer screen for some reason. Any other opinions on this are also welcome.

I haven't thought about that much, but it's not a bad idea. Estimating how much longer this would make the event is a good idea, and I feel like the number of potential hosts would have much influence on this too.

And done, thanks for pointing that out!

Also, please don't PM me any teams until the deadline, as I may well end up facing your team myself. You could start typing up your team anytime of course, and here's a proposed sample of what one of the characters could look like, taken from the LA FAQ:

Oscar

A Tanith +30 avo

B Kieran +5 hit, +15 avo

Boyd Bond: +10 crit

Skills: Resolve, Vantage

Boosters: 1 Dracoshield, 1 Goddess Icon, 2 Talismans

Silver Lance+

Wishblade

Brave Lance

Silver Bow+

@Knight Ward*

-Laguzguard

*Oscar starts with the Knight Ward, but can switch to the Laguzguard in the middle of the battle before attacking somebody (must be chosen by the player and announced during the generated round of combat by the host).

I'll try to research the subject a little and tell you (and everyone) what I come up with; Single Elimination isn't set in stone. Don't have any prior experience designing tourneys with brackets and all that, though I've already signed up on a website that lets me randomise a bracket and Print Screen it into an image that doesn't fit on the computer screen for some reason. Any other opinions on this are also welcome.

Average match time between the last 5 PoR matches was 4 days. We would have seven more matches(or eight). If we get three or four hosts. It should take an week or two. Depending on how its set up.

Also I'll sign up either way.

It'll take longer because there will be a Loser's Bracket. I play smash torunaments competitively, which are always Double Elim, because 2 top players will end up facing each other before the finals anyway and one of them will inevitably be eliminated way too early and not indicate how good said player is. If there's Double Elim, on top of everyone getting at least 2 matches, the top player that loses to the other top player will still be alive in Loser's and very possibly make it to the Finals of the tournament to face the other top player again, possibly having his revenge. The results are more accurate then. Since the 2 top players will be 1st and 2nd. There are a lot more reasonings and possibly better explanations, but that's how I've always intepreted it.

It'll take longer because there will be a Loser's Bracket. I play smash torunaments competitively, which are always Double Elim, because 2 top players will end up facing each other before the finals anyway and one of them will inevitably be eliminated way too early and not indicate how good said player is. If there's Double Elim, on top of everyone getting at least 2 matches, the top player that loses to the other top player will still be alive in Loser's and very possibly make it to the Finals of the tournament to face the other top player again, possibly having his revenge. The results are more accurate then. Since the 2 top players will be 1st and 2nd. There are a lot more reasonings and possibly better explanations, but that's how I've always intepreted it.

So it depends on the size of the bracket then, but what it mostly means is that there are two round 1s (in terms of length anyway).

I'm not sure that many are going in with a "I wanna be the very best that no one ever was" mentality, but those are valid points you cite, and by playing at least two games the tourney does end up being more memorable to everyone.

I'm in, but how exactly are skills limited?

By that I mean, is there a capacity limit? Prolly is so I couldn't do something like Deadeye and Gamble on Rolf or something, but I just want to make sure.

Yeah, I posted the SP capacity limits for all classes under the custom skills spoiler. For example, Rolf has 25 SP as a foot unit, while Deadeye and Gamble cost 20 and 10 SP respectively, so that's over the limit and Rolf has to choose.

Skills are limited by SP, and also in that you have one of each custom skill, though if you have Tauroneo with natural Resolve for example, you could (and would probably want to) run a second Resolve user. Only four Occult scrolls are available for mastery skills like Aether, Sol and Deadeye, but 4 is more than enough for teams of five.

So when do we have to send in our teams?

You can save your team in a Notepad document or something, but in a weeks time I'll tell all players whom they should send their teams to, depending on how many volunteers I'll have for hosting (which pretty much requires the knowledge of all mechanics and round-generating nuances, which are often subtle in this meta). I think after the deadline, we'll just start with the games as soon as any two opposing teams are complete (you'll be able to receive feedback and advice from the host about the team submitted).

Maybe a week is too long? idk, I just sorta wanted anybody interested to not miss the event.

Edited by Espinosa

I wonder if any teams wont be rolling Ike

Seems very likely considering two of the things that used to make him so desirable are both banned, and his supports aren't very cost-efficient and easy to play. I'd say Ike's just another Top Tier unit now, though that's not a bad thing.

I'll sign up as a player, if you're really short on hosts i'll do that too, although i'll be on holidays for the first few days and will only have my phone for internet, which might make doing the calculations tough and generally take a long time.