New Heroes - Attuned: Peony & Triandra

Fire Emblem Fan

Now that I'm back home and have a proper keyboard to type things on, here are the usual translation notes:

The banner name, "Attuned: Peony & Triandra", is "響心ピアニー&響心スカビオサ", (kyōshin pianī & kyōshin sukabiosa), "Resonance Peony & Resonance Triandra". The word for Attuned Heroes and Attuned skills is "響心" (kyōshin), "resonating hearts".

Sonya's epithet, "Beautiful Mage", is "美しき魔道士" (utsukushiki madōshi), "Beautiful Mage".

Arcane Caliburnus is "魔器カリブルヌス" (maki kariburunusu), "Arcane Weapon Caliburnus". As usual, the word for both Rearmed Heroes and Arcane weapon is "魔器" (maki), "magic weapon".

Beyond Witchery is "魔女を超える者" (majo o koeru mono), "One Who Has Surpassed Witches".

Atk/Res Ploy is "攻撃魔防の謀策" (kōgeki mabō no bōsaku), "Atk/Res Scheme".

Mycen's epithet, "Zofia's Champion", is "ソフィアの英雄" (sofia no eiyū), "Hero of Zofia".

Worldly Lance is "老練の槍" (rōren no yari), "Veteran's Lance".

Joint Close Guard is "近距離相互警戒" (kinkyori sōgo keikai), "Close-Range Reciprocal Vigilance".

Triandra's epithet, "Reverent Dream", is "献身の夢" (kenshin no yume), "Dream of Dedication".

Flower of Tribute is "犠牲の花" (gisei no hana), "Flower of Sacrifice".

Harrowing Dream is "こわいかこのゆめ" (kowai kako no yume), "Dream of a Frightening Past".

Flow Refresh is "怒涛・再起" (dotō: saiki), "Surging Waves: Recovery".

Death Blow Echo is "響・鬼神の一撃" (hibiki: kishin no ichigeki), "Resonance: Fierce Deity Strike". The prefix for Attuned skills is "響" (hibiki), "resonance" or "echo", which is an abbreviation for the word for Attuned Heroes and Attuned skills, "響心" (kyōshin), "resonating hearts". I'm unsure if it's intended to be read "hibiki", which is how it is read as a standalone word, or if it's intended to be read "kyō", which is how it is read in compound words, as this is clearly meant to be an abbreviation.

Peony's epithet, "Cherished Dream", is "親愛の夢" (shin'ai no yume), "Dream of Deep Affection".

Flower of Caring is "親愛の花" (shin'ai no hana), "Flower of Deep Affection".

Tender Dream is "やさしいひとのゆめ" (yasashii hito no yume), "Dream of a Kind Person".

Rockslide Dance is "疾風大地の舞い" (shippū daichi no mai), "Gale/Earth Dance".

Cross Spur Spd is "速さの十字紋章" (hayasa no jūji monshō), "Spd Cross Emblem". "紋章" (monshō), "emblem", is the name of the Spur skill series.

Atk Oath Echo is "響・攻撃の信義" (hibiki: kōgeki no shingi), "Resonance: Atk Loyalty".

Hestia's epithet, "Duma's Witch", is "ドーマの魔女" (dōma no majo), "Duma's Witch".

Marla's epithet, "Duma's Witch", is "ドーマの魔女" (dōma no majo), "Duma's Witch".

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

(Triandra Assist) Harrowing Dream is "こわいかこのゆめ" (kowai kako no yume), "Dream of a Frightening Past".

(Peony Assist) Tender Dream is "やさしいひとのゆめ" (yasashii hito no yume), "Dream of a Kind Person".

They're both dreaming about their pasts before becoming fairies... but Triandra's is of the pain she endured, while Peony's is of the person who protected her from it... that's really cute...

6 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Triandra's epithet, "Reverent Dream", is "献身の夢" (kenshin no yume), "Dream of Dedication".

Flower of Tribute is "犠牲の花" (gisei no hana), "Flower of Sacrifice".

Peony's epithet, "Cherished Dream", is "親愛の夢" (shin'ai no yume), "Dream of Deep Affection".

Flower of Caring is "親愛の花" (shin'ai no hana), "Flower of Deep Affection".

Furthermore, these could either be about Freyja and Freyr respectively OR each other... which is really nice. As much as the TT story itself kinda blows, the alts at least are nice.

Well Shadows of Valentia really limps towards having it's entire cast represented. Just three more playable characters to go. Nice that we got Marla and Hestia at the same time, but really, Mycen being alone here just highlights how freaking weirdly they've done Shadows of Valentia. Will the next banner be something like Jesse, Massena and Irma or something?

On 10/15/2023 at 8:56 PM, Etrurian emperor said:

Hold on a minute! This is an ''Echoes'' banner so where's DESAIX! Didn't he score absurdly higher last time? And he probably even has boobs under the armor!

No one reacted to your comment, so here is your overdue "You're absolutely right" and "LOL".

How are they even in this situation where Jeddah, Rudolf and Desaix, the three biggest villains behind Duma, aren't in the game? What have they even been doing for Grand Hero Battles in Shadows of Valentia? Like, seriously, they've had eight Shadows of Valentia banners now and we haven't even seen Nuibaba or Slayde. Obviously they wasted one Brigand Boss because memes and stuff, and I suppose Berkut and Ferniand deserved one, but what were the other half? CYL put a tonne of minor villains on it, but it's not like we've seen Lawson or Dolth. Feels like Shadows of Valentia's sizeable boss cast has just evaporated and they've really done nothing to actually utilize these characters to extend the game's life cycle. Instead it's just ALTS ALTS ALTS! And not even from the game the banner is ostensibly about!

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Emerson said:

They're both dreaming about their pasts before becoming fairies... but Triandra's is of the pain she endured, while Peony's is of the person who protected her from it... that's really cute...

This actually made me think of something. I mentioned in Rearmed Plumeria's banner's translation notes that all of the fairies' exclusive dance skills were written entirely phonetically, that that is extremely strange, and that I had no idea why they did that.

Well, for practical purposes, there are really only four reasons why you'd write Japanese purely phonetically (other than purely for stylistic purposes):

1. The medium you're using doesn't support kanji.
    • For example, video games need every character that can be displayed to be stored somewhere in the game data as an image. Nowadays, that can be done by simply importing a font, but before that was possible, these images had to be manually drawn. This is obviously a lot of work and could actually take up a sizable amount of limited storage space back in the day, and so older games would typically have a limited set of kanji available to be used and often none at all if you go far enough back.
  2. You're a child and haven't learned enough kanji to read and/or write yet (or the work is intended to be read by children).
  3. You're learning the language and haven't learned enough kanji to read and/or write yet (or the work is intended to be read by people learning the language).
  4. When the ambiguity is necessary (such as for puns involving homophones).

Number 2 above is looking to be an interesting possibility. If these skills are intended to be interpreted as being seen from a child's point of view, they would make sense to be written phonetically. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that all of the fairies' dance skills use extremely simple words (especially in contrast to their epithets and weapons) and are words that children would be expected to know how to say (even if they don't know how to read or write them):

• Peony has "やさしいゆめ" (yasashii yume), "Kind Dream" and "やさしいひとのゆめ" (yasashii hito no yume), "Dream of a Kind Person".
  • Mirabilis has "しろいゆめ" (shiroi yume), "White Dream".
    • This is clearly a play on "白昼夢" (hakuchūmu), "daydream" or "fantasy", which literally translates as "to dream in the white [light] of day" (white being the color most closely associated with daytime in both Japanese and Chinese), simplifying it to something easier to write and pronounce.
  • Triandra has "こわいゆめ" (kowai yume), "Frightening Dream" and "こわいかこのゆめ" (kowai kako no yume), "Dream of a Frightening Past".
  • Plumeria has "あまいゆめ" (amai yume), "Sweet Dream" and "あまいみつのゆめ" (amai mitsu no yume), "Dream of Sweet Nectar".

These sound like names you would find in an actual fairy tale.

(And yes, the skills for the fancier versions of each character all use the same adjective as the skill from the regular version, but with the adjective applied to a new noun instead of to "dream".)

18 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I really don't understand all of the commotion over this banner. We're literally at the bottom of the barrel for Echoes, and I don't see the value of making a banner full of characters that are at the bottom of the barrel, even with the novelty of finishing out a game's roster.

I honestly would've preferred it if they made Mycen the instant demote and added an Ascended Hero to the banner if they were going to add yet another special unit type to the game and further reduce the rate that we get florets going forward.

It wouldn't have to be a banner full of them, just replacing one of the alts with a fourth proper new character to keep up with existing precedent, rather than setting a new, lower precedent. If it becomes common for banners to have only three proper new heroes, that's a lot of new additions we'll be missing out on. And even if it doesn't, we still got denied a character for little reason.

They should just drop Ascended Heroes entirely and find another way to release florets.

38 minutes ago, Othin said:

It wouldn't have to be a banner full of them, just replacing one of the alts with a fourth proper new character to keep up with existing precedent, rather than setting a new, lower precedent. If it becomes common for banners to have only three proper new heroes, that's a lot of new additions we'll be missing out on. And even if it doesn't, we still got denied a character for little reason.

They should just drop Ascended Heroes entirely and find another way to release florets.

I stated earlier that I think they should've just cut out the Rearmed on this banner if they were going to have both Attuned Peony and Attuned Triandra. It would have been okay to delay green arcane tome by one month if they wanted to release both of the fairies. Also, Sonya is kinda the problematic element here since it is because of her presence that Marla and Hestia are even here. I highly doubt they would've released them on this specific banner had it not been for her.

Besides, there's no reason why we couldn't have had Rearmed (or Ascended, Attuned, whatever) Sonya on the next SoV banner and added her, her sisters, and Jedah as GHB all at once. The new Peony and Triandra with their shiny new gimmick and skills and limited availability could've still held up the banner even if the banner had no rearmed and we replaced Sonya, Hestia, and Marla with some combination of Jesse, base Deen, Nomah, and GHB Rudolf.

However, IS continues to allocate their female characters unintelligently.

24 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

I stated earlier that I think they should've just cut out the Rearmed on this banner if they were going to have both Attuned Peony and Attuned Triandra. It would have been okay to delay green arcane tome by one month if they wanted to release both of the fairies. Also, Sonya is kinda the problematic element here since it is because of her presence that Marla and Hestia are even here. I highly doubt they would've released them on this specific banner had it not been for her.

Besides, there's no reason why we couldn't have had Rearmed (or Ascended, Attuned, whatever) Sonya on the next SoV banner and added her, her sisters, and Jedah as GHB all at once. The new Peony and Triandra with their shiny new gimmick and skills and limited availability could've still held up the banner even if the banner had no rearmed and we replaced Sonya, Hestia, and Marla with some combination of Jesse, base Deen, Nomah, and GHB Rudolf.

However, IS continues to allocate their female characters unintelligently.

Have they ever but a non playable character on the main New Heroes banner? Oh, well, I guess I remember they did put Annand and Phila on banners, but have they put enemy characters? Feels like they've been exclusive Mythics and GHB (or Reinhardt that one time when they were willing to deviate from one banner one game). Don't get me wrong, a Sonya, Marla, Hestia banner with GHB Jeddah would've been really cool, and Valentia in general really should put it's villains on banners since it has so many antagonists left and so few playable characters, but I just wonder what the precedent is as I can't think of any antagonists on New Heroes banners off the top of my head.

@Jotari Reinhardt and Eldigan and Mustafa were all on main New Hero banners (even if the first two were from near launch banners), so it's not totally unprecedented I guess.

Annand, Phila, two Reinhardts, Eldigan, Mustafa, two Ishtars, Rhea, August, Guinivere, Idunn, Selena, Zelgius, Lilith... It's not that strange, even for enemies.

22 minutes ago, Othin said:

Annand, Phila, two Reinhardts, Eldigan, Mustafa, two Ishtars, Rhea, August, Guinivere, Idunn, Selena, Zelgius, Lilith... It's not that strange, even for enemies.

That just makes their approach to Shadows of Valentia's villains even more baffling. Someone like Fernand absolutely could have been on a regular banner.

23 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I'm unsure if it's intended to be read "hibiki", which is how it is read as a standalone word, or if it's intended to be read "kyō", which is how it is read in compound words, as this is clearly meant to be an abbreviation.

I'm personally leaning towards the latter like 新 in 新・紋章の謎 but that's an established reading so there's not much debate to be had. I usually default to how the 2 Japanese FEH YouTubers I follow say it but they each pronounced it differently from each other.  

23 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Hestia's epithet, "Duma's Witch", is "ドーマの魔女" (dōma no majo), "Duma's Witch".

Marla's epithet, "Duma's Witch", is "ドーマの魔女" (dōma no majo), "Duma's Witch".

I think this is the first time the Japanese epithet is the same for 2 characters?

13 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

Number 2 above is looking to be an interesting possibility. If these skills are intended to be interpreted as being seen from a child's point of view, they would make sense to be written phonetically. Additionally, it's worth mentioning that all of the fairies' dance skills use extremely simple words (especially in contrast to their epithets and weapons) and are words that children would be expected to know how to say (even if they don't know how to read or write them)

#2 certainly aligns for Peony since she became a fairy at a young age IIRC. Does anyone know if it's mentioned if the other faeries were born a fairy or did they become one? This could be me reading too much into things but going off their refresh skills in Japanese, I suspect their mental maturity might be capped at a kid's level.

Edited by Flying Shogi

19 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

You know what could have been an actual good spot to put Marla and Hestia? A Fallen banner.

I've long since thought they should have just been stuck on a Halloween banner in their default design, more or less like Greil was. Let's face it, they are not actually major characters. On the list of Shadows of Valentia NPC relevance things would probably go roughly Duma/Mila->Jeddah/Rudolf->Berkut->Desaix->Grieth->Fernand/Nuibaba->Slayde->Marla/Hestia/Halcyon. And that's not to throw shade at them, I like them, I genuinely do, they're voice actors did a great job and it's mildly cool that they're the first female antagonists in the series you're actually expected to kill, but there is a long line of people more important than them, many of which are not in the game yet and run the risk of never getting into the game. Making them seasonal originals on a Halloween banner would have been sort of perfect. They're already witches and they dress like they're at a Halloween party.

Fallen could work to, but the issue there is that we never actually see them good, which challenges the idea a bit, and that there's actually a lot of Fallen potential out there from more relevant characters, especially now post Engage which gave like over a dozen potential fallen characters by itself.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fallen could work to, but the issue there is that we never actually see them good, which challenges the idea a bit, and that there's actually a lot of Fallen potential out there from more relevant characters, especially now post Engage which gave like over a dozen potential fallen characters by itself.

Actually, "restored" versions of them on a "redemption banner" would be neat. I know I've seen the idea around before, but it would be especially good since Sonya's whole thing here is that she's trying to restore them. Others would be good on that sort of banner, too, but I'm not going to list those right now since that would be hecka spoilersy and off-topic.

10 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

I'm personally leaning towards the latter like 新 in 新・紋章の謎 but that's an established reading so there's not much debate to be had. I usually default to how the 2 Japanese FEH YouTubers I follow say it but they each pronounced it differently from each other.  

I think this is the first time the Japanese epithet is the same for 2 characters?

#2 certainly aligns for Peony since she became a fairy at a young age IIRC. Does anyone know if it's mentioned if the other faeries were born a fairy or did they become one? This could be me reading too much into things but going off their refresh skills in Japanese, I suspect their mental maturity might be capped at a kid's level.

Not only do they have the same title, but their description in the catalog is identical with the exception of a single hypenated word (Marla is referred to as the Eldest while Hestia is Second-Eldest). I feel like they're trying to make a joke, because, yeah, sure, the characters are basically identical, but you could still say something different about them. They're not that one note.  Like, Hestia actually expresses envy of Sonya in her battle and death quote, yet the description says she looks down on her. As I said before, I'm happy they're in the game even if I think there are a lot more deserving characters, but it feels like they've been put in the game with the lowest effort possible.

12 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

You know what could have been an actual good spot to put Marla and Hestia? A Fallen banner.

The problem is that they would never pick characters like them for the FALLEN BANNER one of the most important banners of the year in terms of sales.

That banner almost always favors main characters to the point of making some what-ifs for Ike and Chrom to get an alt. And thanks to 3 Hopes and the DLC for Engage we have now the possibility of both genders of Byleth and Shez AND every royal in Engage getting a Fallen Alt.

Which means there's no risk of running out of more popular options than MARLA and HESTIA (two characters so unpopular that even I wasn't expecting them, thinking they would give us Nuibaba, Irma and base Rinea instead to make up for the lack of playable women in Valentia), which means that they would never get in the game at all.

A similar argument was made when Validar and Bertram were added as GHBs and people brought up the possibility of getting them as Fallen Heroes and how fitting that would be, but the point is that they are both less popular than Orson, who I think is the least popular/important character picked for a Fallen alt, more the exception to the rule than anything.

And as for the Halloween banner we run into the same problem. They would only ever add them together (more realistically only with a Sonya alt) which means that two slots on a popular banner would be wasted.

Sure, they could pick the GHB and demote slots for them and it seems way more reasonable to waste slots on one of twelve yearly seasonals than the ever important Fallen Banner, but evidently they felt that it still wasn't worth it and chose to screw over Jesse and Nomah rather than screw over the many potential candidates for an Halloween Banner.

Not to mention that people are already complaining that Sonya got the Rearmed alt that could have been for Mae, Boey, whoever. Imagine if after a year of no seasonal alts for Valentia, they finally got two alts, and they were for NPCs. The Valentia fans would have murdered everyone who works at IS.

Let's face it Marla and Hestia would have caused arguments no matter the banner they were put in because they are unpopular NPCs getting in the game before literally any other playable characters. It was the same story for Mustafa and Phila, for Annand and Dithorba, even for Leila despite her being way more well known than other NPCs.

As for me I'm very happy to see them and I hope they are a sign of good things to come. Yes, I unironically want a banner of Irma, Massena and Jesse (with Jedah GHB).

The only real problem for me is that they gave us one less character for no reason. That was a great slot to give us Slayde or something IS -.-

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not only do they have the same title, but their description in the catalog is identical with the exception of a single hypenated word (Marla is referred to as the Eldest while Hestia is Second-Eldest). I feel like they're trying to make a joke, because, yeah, sure, the characters are basically identical, but you could still say something different about them. They're not that one note.  Like, Hestia actually expresses envy of Sonya in her battle and death quote, yet the description says she looks down on her. As I said before, I'm happy they're in the game even if I think there are a lot more deserving characters, but it feels like they've been put in the game with the lowest effort possible.

Their catalog descriptions are similar but I wouldn't call them identical. Hestia's description says she's envious of Sonya while Marla looks down on Sonya. A little odd that Hestia's description only listed her as Jedah's daughter but not "second daughter" since there's an existing word for that in Japanese.  

It's been a while since I played SoV but I don't think they were that fleshed out in their home game so I can't blame FEH for not having much to work off of.

Edited by Flying Shogi

1 hour ago, Flying Shogi said:

Their catalog descriptions are similar but I wouldn't call them identical. Hestia's description says she's envious of Sonya while Marla looks down on Sonya. A little odd that Hestia's description only listed her as Jedah's daughter but not "second daughter" since there's an existing word for that in Japanese.  

It's been a while since I played SoV but I don't think they weren't that fleshed out in their home game so I can't blame FEH for not having much to work off of.

Not on my device. For mine it says she looks down on Sonya for both. I've taken screenshots but I can't upload them right this second. Hestia also is referred to as Second Eldest daughter on my device. Maybe it's a region thing.

Edited by Jotari

20 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

All four of them were born humans. Peony and Triandra are sisters after all, and Plumeria's issues stem from a neglectful mother. I don't remember Mirabilis' backstory, but she was a human girl too.

Also, considering Hestia and Marla were complete non-entities, I think their inclusion was just a case of shoving them into FEH where it made sense (i.e. alongside Sonya or Jedah) and calling it a day. There was no way they'd be able to carry a banner or even feature in one without looking like wasted space.

But SoV is in a weird position now that all the girls have regular alts. A friend of mine is a huge Mae fan, so maybe we could get Attuned Mae and Boey alts next time? This banner feels like a look into a possible future for FE8 banners too, since Magvel's run out of girls as well*.

More than anything though, the fact that we've gotten a second unit type based on inheriting skills and still don't have an inheritance cap increase (or outright removal) is what gets me. I really hope that changes in Book VIII, if not via an emergency update in November.

* Unless we get Ismaire or Dara I guess. I'm personally hoping for a surprise Nada Kuya in the vein of Ullr, but I know that'll never happen...

Edited by DefyingFates

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

Fallen could work to, but the issue there is that we never actually see them good, which challenges the idea a bit

That's not a challenge, there's several Fallen characters already that we either have never actually seen as good or even actually seen as fallen in-game. Ike and Chrom are based off Cipher cards, you never see them as Fallen in the Tellius games or Awakening. We never actually see Ashnard or Vigarde as good, we only ever see them in-game as antagonists. We never even see Orson when he's good, we only ever see him when he's betraying Ephraim and keeping his zombie wife company.

I'm finally actually taking a look at Hestia's and Marla's stats since the ranged special training maps are on rotation today, and holy crap Hestia is disappointing.

Marla manages to basically be red Bastian, having the highest Res stat and second-highest Atk stat of all red tomes with 47 Atk and 46+ Res with maximum Dragonflowers. For comparison, Bastian has 46 Atk and 47+ Res. Good stuff all around.

Hestia, on the other hand, is just a budget version of Desert Soren. She only has 46 Atk and 44+ Res, whereas Soren has 45 Atk and 47 Res. Sure, she has 1 more Atk, but this stat spread is pretty much made to use Sabotage and Ploy, and Soren is just flat-out better. She scores one bucket higher than Soren in the Arena, but that's it.

22 hours ago, Flying Shogi said:

As far as I can remember, yes, this is the first time the Japanese epithets for two characters are identical to each other.

2 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

That's not a challenge, there's several Fallen characters already that we either have never actually seen as good or even actually seen as fallen in-game. Ike and Chrom are based off Cipher cards, you never see them as Fallen in the Tellius games or Awakening. We never actually see Ashnard or Vigarde as good, we only ever see them in-game as antagonists. We never even see Orson when he's good, we only ever see him when he's betraying Ephraim and keeping his zombie wife company.

Even if Ike and Chrom are not from the games, we still definitely see good Ike and Chrom.

While we don't see Ashnard as good (he probably never was what one might call good), we do see him before her Berserk state which is what his fallen form is based on.

Orson is certainly duplicitous in his playable appearance, but at least he's acting good and there is a stark difference in characterization at that point compared to when he shows up later (he even has a different portrait). Though imo he was always a bit of stretch for a fallen Hero, Bertram would have been much better suited, but he was just a regular GHB for some reason.

As for Vigarde, who in character concept is most similar to Marle and Hestia, he isn't actually a Fallen unit. He was just a regular GHB with a regular Sacred Stones banner earlier this year.

That being said I wouldn't have balked or been upset if Marla and Hestia did show up as Fallen Units. It would be...fine. I'd prefer them as Halloween seasonals though given that Fallen Banners are more competitive and the complete lack of enthusiasm I have for most of the seasonal banners, giving us new characters that fit the seasonal theme would entice me more. I would have put Legion on a Halloween banner too if he didn't get in yonks ago. Yarne and Panne feel like they should be on an Easter banner too, though given they're playable I guess I'd still want a "default" variation of them too.

21 hours ago, Jotari said:

Even if Ike and Chrom are not from the games, we still definitely see good Ike and Chrom.

As for Vigarde, who in character concept is most similar to Marle and Hestia, he isn't actually a Fallen unit. He was just a regular GHB with a regular Sacred Stones banner earlier this year.

Yeah, that's what I said about Ike and Chrom.

For Vigarde, you're right, and now I'm trying to figure out why in the world I thought he was a Fallen unit? What's up, brain, why are you farting?

46 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

For Vigarde, you're right, and now I'm trying to figure out why in the world I thought he was a Fallen unit? What's up, brain, why are you farting?

He has the same purple flame aura on his map/battle sprite that most units on the fallen banners have.