Choose Your Legends 8 is live!

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Is there seriously a votable character named "Brigand Boss"? (he places at 419th with 23 votes).

Yes! And he is in Heroes actually. Check your Grails menu, you can get him for your team right now.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Wait, did you adapt the votes in some way? (like not allowing ties or something) Because the placements I saw for Elena on the FE wiki were not these

Those numbers aren't placement. It's number of votes received.

7 hours ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Is there seriously a votable character named "Brigand Boss"? (he places at 419th with 23 votes).

Yes, and he unfortunately exists in FEH as a source of Vulture Axe+. And yes, skill fodder is all he is good for.

Remember when I told you the other week that Fargus is in FEH? If you must use Grails, please spend them to get Fargus and not Brigand Boss. Or alternatively, just get literally any Axe Infantry Grail unit who released after Brigand Boss because all of them are better than him.

2 hours ago, Tybrosion said:

Yes, and he unfortunately exists in FEH as a source of Vulture Axe+. And yes, skill fodder is all he is good for.

Remember when I told you the other week that Fargus is in FEH? If you must use Grails, please spend them to get Fargus and not Brigand Boss. Or alternatively, just get literally any Axe Infantry Grail unit who released after Brigand Boss because all of them are better than him.

Huh. There's currently 33 units more recent than Brigand Boss in the Grail shop, and six of them are axe infantry: Fargus, Fuga, Donnel, Linus, Effie, and Hans. That is a surprisingly high number!

Much as I'd like to build BB, Hans and Fargus make irresistible cases to be my dynamic duo. Actually Hans is already +10 but is still on his base kit, maybe the quintuple inheritance change will finally give him his due.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:37 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

According to her Wiki page, she placed at 479th in CYL1, 423th in CYL2, 415th in CYL 3, 379th in CYL4, 350th in CYL5, 322th in CYL6 and 284th in CYL7. Now I didn't check her placement this year because it's not in the wiki yet and I don't want to read the whole list of results again, but was higher than last year because Greil placed 250th and she got more votes than him.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:47 AM, Humanoid said:

ChaosOsiris on Reddit maintains this spreadsheet that logs  every CYL vote for every character ever.

Note it's in the process of being updated for the final CYL8 results so they're not complete yet.

Thanks, guys! Looks like her placement is on the uptrend! =D

On 1/31/2024 at 7:50 AM, Jotari said:

Character Mug 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 Total Average
Elena   250 377 300 262 168 220 152 325 2054 256.75

Her mug won't shot up being pasted into serenes. This year was her second best with her best showing being 2018. But less than 4,00 votes isn't great in general.

I see; yeah, number of votes is a better way of gauging that, isn't it? Thanks for the data!

So, it looks like she yo-yo's rather than there being a consistent up- or downtrend (though her placement increases every year, which is encouraging!). Hmm it's hard to tell how IS will factor this data into their decisions when picking characters for banners. On the one hand, she's never gotten less than 100 votes, and has even gotten over 300 votes in a single year. That's not bad. Plus, as they run lower on characters they haven't brought into the game yet, she's a very strong contender with her plot importance for both FE9 and FE10, besides being a relative of a main character's. Additionally, quite frankly, she's female. Still, IS seems to like to ignore moms who don't partake in player phase combat, and she has such a wholesome look and background (while also not being eligible), which isn't their preferred way to market females.

*sigh* Man, this feels like it's close to a 50-50 chance of her getting into the game, and the data here only strengthens it being such a "could be or could not be" kind of deal.

Well! The good news is that she has people who gave her that many votes, so it means that there could very well be a year when she gets rallied behind! I'll just keep hoping for that year. ^_^

Thanks again, everyone who gave me data and who voted for Elena!

Edited by Mercakete

5 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Thanks, guys! Looks like her placement is on the uptrend! =D

I see; yeah, number of votes is a better way of gauging that, isn't it? Thanks for the data!

So, it looks like she yo-yo's rather than there being a consistent up- or downtrend (though her placement increases every year, which is encouraging!). Hmm it's hard to tell how IS will factor this data into their decisions when picking characters for banners. On the one hand, she's never gotten less than 100 votes, and has even gotten over 300 votes in a single year. That's not bad. Plus, as they run lower on characters they haven't brought into the game yet, she's a very strong contender with her plot importance for both FE9 and FE10, besides being a relative of a main character's. Additionally, quite frankly, she's female. Still, IS seems to like to ignore moms who don't partake in player phase combat, and she has such a wholesome look and background (while also not being eligible), which isn't their preferred way to market females.

*sigh* Man, this feels like it's close to a 50-50 chance of her getting into the game, and the data here only strengthens it being such a "could be or could not be" kind of deal.

Well! The good news is that she has people who gave her that many votes, so it means that there could very well be a year when she gets rallied behind! I'll just keep hoping for that year. ^_^

Thanks again, everyone who gave me data and who voted for Elena!

I don't think anyone less than 500 votes matters in CYL as far as the developers see it. We can see things as a spectrum of popularity but they have to see things as a binary "Saleable" or "Unsaleable". Furthermore Elena has the disadvantage of being up against the most populous cast in the series. So I think the chances of her getting on a regular banner is virtually 0%. However, she could potentially get in as a seasonal as a repeat of the Greil Seasonal. All the pieces are in place for that.

10 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't think anyone less than 500 votes matters in CYL as far as the developers see it. We can see things as a spectrum of popularity but they have to see things as a binary "Saleable" or "Unsaleable". Furthermore Elena has the disadvantage of being up against the most populous cast in the series. So I think the chances of her getting on a regular banner is virtually 0%. However, she could potentially get in as a seasonal as a repeat of the Greil Seasonal. All the pieces are in place for that.

All four new characters on the recent FE5 banner had below 500 votes on CYL7, and only one of them got above 100.

Elena has much more competition, but I don't think we can rule anything out, especially without knowing the game's lifespan.

22 minutes ago, Othin said:

All four new characters on the recent FE5 banner had below 500 votes on CYL7, and only one of them got above 100.

That's just my point. CYL had no bearing on which of those characters were chosen. The character they were trying to sell on that banner was Reinhardt.

22 minutes ago, Othin said:

Elena has much more competition, but I don't think we can rule anything out, especially without knowing the game's lifespan.

She also has a number of other things going against her. She never actually appears in the game either and we only know second hand she's a staff user, and then Mist went and stole her staff. On the whole Greil is way more important than her and we haven't got a base version of him yet either (though we might get a fallen variant). A seasonal on the other hand would be pretty perfect for fitting Elena in. Sure, if the game runs another hundred years we'll probably end up getting base version of Devil Axe villager and all manner of obscure characters, but I don't see it as likely. When calculating Alder's chances of getting in I reasoned it'd take another 15 years for them to finish the Tellius cast and burn through enough GHB bosses for him to be relevant. That's how slow moving 4 characters every 1.5 years is for a cast with over 40 left. And that's not even factoring in new games we'll get in the meantime that will eventually slow the rate of new banners down to about two years, unless they remove completed casts from the rotation completely, which I don't see them doing given they're some of the more popular games (well, at least Awakening and Fates are).

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's just my point. CYL had no bearing on which of those characters were chosen. The character they were trying to sell on that banner was Reinhardt.

She also has a number of other things going against her. She never actually appears in the game either and we only know second hand she's a staff user, and then Mist went and stole her staff. On the whole Greil is way more important than her and we haven't got a base version of him yet either (though we might get a fallen variant). A seasonal on the other hand would be pretty perfect for fitting Elena in. Sure, if the game runs another hundred years we'll probably end up getting base version of Devil Axe villager and all manner of obscure characters, but I don't see it as likely. When calculating Alder's chances of getting in I reasoned it'd take another 15 years for them to finish the Tellius cast and burn through enough GHB bosses for him to be relevant. That's how slow moving 4 characters every 1.5 years is for a cast with over 40 left. And that's not even factoring in new games we'll get in the meantime that will eventually slow the rate of new banners down to about two years, unless they remove completed casts from the rotation completely, which I don't see them doing given they're some of the more popular games (well, at least Awakening and Fates are).

Greil and Elena could help sell an Attuned Ike banner or something. It could happen eventually!

We should assume completed casts will be removed from the rotation. The next Awakening New Heroes banner will complete its CYL cast, and unless they increase its presence on CYL (which they don't seem interested in doing), it would make no sense for it to ever get another one. And an increasing number of games are only a handful of banners away from completion, which will shorten the rotation faster than new games will grow it.

We can never be sure that IS won't do something stupid, but even just decreasing the New Heroes space given to completed games would work. For example, suppose they start doing a yearly "Attuned and Rearmed Heroes" banner where all the banner slots go to alts of units from games with completed rosters. And even that would still need a GHB!

25 minutes ago, Othin said:

Greil and Elena could help sell an Attuned Ike banner or something. It could happen eventually!

We should assume completed casts will be removed from the rotation. The next Awakening New Heroes banner will complete its CYL cast, and unless they increase its presence on CYL (which they don't seem interested in doing), it would make no sense for it to ever get another one. And an increasing number of games are only a handful of banners away from completion, which will shorten the rotation faster than new games will grow it.

We can never be sure that IS won't do something stupid, but even just decreasing the New Heroes space given to completed games would work. For example, suppose they start doing a yearly "Attuned and Rearmed Heroes" banner where all the banner slots go to alts of units from games with completed rosters. And even that would still need a GHB!

They probably should remove completed games from the rotation, but I've been expecting them to slow the rate of near complete banner releases for years now and they just don't. The simple truth is that Awakening banners almost certainly make more money than Thracia banners and they're not going to axe Awakening completely so less popular games have more of a chance. I don't know what they'll do, whether it'll be all alts or increasingly minor boss characters for the sake of selling a rearmed or ascended or something, but them abandoning the stuff that makes them money doesn't seem rationale.

Edited by Jotari

Ah, I should probably clarify that I'd count a seasonal Elena as Elena being in the game. I don't care if she gets a base version in or not, since I don't count characters that way. To me, if a character only has 1 seasonal version, that character is still in the game. (The only one I'm iffy about regarding this view is Boyd since he's so much younger than he ever appears in his home games. However, he's still technically in. Since I reserved my resort for Griel's Mercenaries, though it's a bit odd having him walking around being perhaps even younger than Rolf, but I'm sure Oscar finds it adorable.)

4 hours ago, Mercakete said:

Ah, I should probably clarify that I'd count a seasonal Elena as Elena being in the game. I don't care if she gets a base version in or not, since I don't count characters that way. To me, if a character only has 1 seasonal version, that character is still in the game. (The only one I'm iffy about regarding this view is Boyd since he's so much younger than he ever appears in his home games. However, he's still technically in. Since I reserved my resort for Griel's Mercenaries, though it's a bit odd having him walking around being perhaps even younger than Rolf, but I'm sure Oscar finds it adorable.)

Elena would inevitably be more different to Boyd, as she'd be more alive than she is in her home games XD