Choose Your Legends 8 is live!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Man, if we have an Engage sweep (or 3 Houses) I might seriously consider not even trying to vote for anyone to actually win next year, and then just start to give all of my votes to my less popular favorites.

Yessssss. Yessssss. Rejected tactical voting. Embrace your true desires.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIUklaWXd24CSmifKSC1y

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Actually it's very tempting, but at the same time, since I do play feh, I'd rather if someone I like won, so I tend to vote majorly for someone I think can win. On the past few years I've been voting for Soren both because he's among my favorite FE characters and because he had a chance to win, but now that he already won, there's very few people among my favorites that have any chance, Alfonse is one but I'm sure he'll get his legendary soon anyway (I mean, I doubt Henriette will manage to not die this book, Alfonse King of Askr here we go!) so I didn't bother voting for him (though, I'd sure be happy if he won), and with so many Engage characters on the list it becomes a bit demoralizing to try to compete. So I figure this is really my last year trying (voted for Sharena because I like her and wanna try to avoid an Engage sweep) unless if for some magical reason one of my not so popular favorites ends up showing up on the midterms someday.

I like Alfonse and Sharena but I'm sure that 7 votes of mine won't ever be the determinant for them to win (hopefully having Sharena on top 20 will be enough for her to get deserved attention at least) so next year I'll really go full on on my beloved underdogs, either way, because If we have an Engage sweep then I'll give up out of frustration and if some of my favorite top characters win now then next year there will be more options I dislike for the win.

Also, why do you guys dislike tactical voting (not sure if this is a stupid question but anyway)? Some people were mentioning that they thought it was bad on the first days of the thread and I forgot to ask.

50 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Also, why do you guys dislike tactical voting (not sure if this is a stupid question but anyway)?

At the highest level, it comes down to the philosophical debate between "First Past the Post" voting systems versus "Preferential" ones. That, of course, is a highly political debate and can lead to some unpleasantness, as prior CYL events have shown.

Simplistically, say there's choice betweens candidates A, B, and C, where say, A gets 4 votes, B gets 3 votes and C gets 2 votes. However, both people who voted for C would rather have B than A, and would have voted for B if they had known C had no chance. Is it ultimately fairer to call A or B the overall winner?

There will never be unanimous agreement on this. Some people may steadfastly support one approach over the other from a purely principles-based standpoint, which is fair enough. However, people being people, many will often claim whatever approach results in their preferred candidate winning is the "objectively" correct one.

P.S. Consider that only 117 votes separated Corrin and Bernadetta last year. A tiny handful of voters could have easily flipped that result.

Edited by Humanoid

36 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

At the highest level, it comes down to the philosophical debate between "First Past the Post" voting systems versus "Preferential" ones. That, of course, is a highly political debate and can lead to some unpleasantness, as prior CYL events have shown.

Simplistically, say there's choice betweens candidates A, B, and C, where say, A gets 4 votes, B gets 3 votes and C gets 2 votes. However, both people who voted for C would rather have B than A, and would have voted for B if they had known C had no chance. Is it ultimately fairer to call A or B the overall winner?

There will never be unanimous agreement on this. Some people may steadfastly support one approach over the other from a purely principles-based standpoint, which is fair enough. However, people being people, many will often claim whatever approach results in their preferred candidate winning is the "objectively" correct one.

P.S. Consider that only 117 votes separated Corrin and Bernadetta last year. A tiny handful of voters could have easily flipped that result.

Oh ok, I understand it now. Thanks for explaining.

Tbh I don't think tactical vote is horrible, characters like the TMS cast surely must have given hope to their supporters once they showed up into the midterms (although, if there were no midterms they'd probably have placed high anyway, and after the end of the year's CYL, everyone would see they could have had a chance and would boost their votes next year), or say, Sharena too. But at the same time, I'm sure that neither Gullveig or Gatekeeper would have won if they hadn't showed us the midterms, and as much as it was theorically fair for them to have won, in Gatekeeper's case he just got votes for the meme and Gullveig- in my opinion- really shouldn't have been votable (no OC from a book that started a month ago should, as someone said earlier on this thread: If the deer dude that doesn't even have a name yet had been votable this year he'd be top 20 for sure).

I always liked the midterms (I like the engagement that comes with them and all), specially because then I never felt like I was wasting my votes since I used almost all of my votes for the win (well, in any case I've always been voting for Soren... but anyway) but upon reflection, as much as I realize that none of the ways is objectively better than the other, I guess I'd prefer if there wasn't midterms at all (specially when I reflect about the examples we have that obviously benefitted from this, Gullveig ane Gatekeeper).

I don't play FE Heroes, so I don't really care who is in the game already. I just picked my favorite characters.

My picks were Sain, Sylvain, Tharja, Serra, Mia and Elincia.

I forgot to vote one day, but probably I would have chosen Emperor Alvis.

4 hours ago, Ruy said:

I don't play FE Heroes, so I don't really care who is in the game already. I just picked my favorite characters.

My picks were Sain, Sylvain, Tharja, Serra, Mia and Elincia.

I forgot to vote one day, but probably I would have chosen Emperor Alvis.

Cool, another Serra fan! I find it abhorrent that she doesn't have and alt yet. Why do most of my favorites have to place on the 200s or 300s?!

On 1/24/2024 at 5:05 AM, ARMADS!!! said:

Cool, another Serra fan! I find it abhorrent that she doesn't have and alt yet. Why do most of my favorites have to place on the 200s or 300s?!

She kinda has an alt in the form of a resplendent. But yes she deserves more. 

29 minutes ago, Midnox said:

I have forgotten to vote. Have they released the halfway top votes?

The halfway top 20s were: 

Males: Alcryst, Alear, Alfonse, Alfred, Black Knight, Byleth, Corrin, Diamant, Felix, Itsuki & Chrom, Leif, Leo, Lyon, Rosado, Shez, Sigurd, Sylvain, Takumi, Touma & Cain, Yuri

Females: Alear, Azura, Bernadetta, Dorothea, Elincia, Freyja, Goldmary, Hilda (TH), Ivy, Lapis, Lilina, Mia, Panette, Robin, Sharena, Shez, Tharja, Tsubasa & Caeda, Veyle, Yunaka

However, they also gave us top 5s for each game. The above characters who are in bold are also within the top 5 of their game. Of note:

• Black Knight, Elincia and Mia are top 5 in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.
  • Hilda and Yuri are only on the Three Houses top 5. Their spots are taken by the Shezs in the Three Hopes top 5.

At any rate, the final results should be revealed by the 29th. 

22 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

She kinda has an alt in the form of a resplendent. But yes she deserves more. 

Oh yeah, I had forgotten (I don't keep up much with the resplendents so I saw on the game's notifications page that she was getting one and then never looked it up again). A̶l̶s̶o̶ I̶m̶ t̶o̶o̶ p̶o̶o̶r̶ t̶o̶ s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶ m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ o̶n̶ a̶ m̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶ g̶a̶m̶e̶ s̶o̶ r̶e̶s̶p̶l̶e̶n̶d̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ d̶o̶n̶'t̶ c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶ b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ I̶'l̶l̶ n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ t̶h̶e̶m̶.

12 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

At any rate, the final results should be revealed by the 29th. 

Wasn't it on the 28th? Did they change the date or you just converted the date to another time zone (like it sometimes works with stuff from the event calendar always happening a day after on some countries or something)?

Edited by ARMADS!!!

12 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Wasn't it on the 28th? Did they change the date or you just converted the date to another time zone (like it sometimes works with stuff from the event calendar always happening a day before on some countries or something)?

The English tweet said that, but it also included "around" before that date.

Also, I believe the Japanese tweet said the 29th.

7 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

The English tweet said that, but it also included "around" before that date.

Also, I believe the Japanese tweet said the 29th.

Oh yeah, they always say "around" (I think it's because of the time zones, for example, where I live, everything happens a day after the established days on the event calendar), it must be when it's the 29th on japan but still 28th in some other places.

Thanks for clearing it up for me. I was worried that they had changed it for the 29th because then it'd mean that where I live it'd probably be only on the 30th.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

On 1/15/2024 at 6:10 PM, GrandeRampel said:

I gave my first vote to Fiona. Will probably vote for Misha tomorrow and continue giving votes to characters not yet in the game.

I guess it's lucky that the characters more likely to win from Engage are already among my faves (Yunaka, Alcryst, Ivy).

It will be next CYL that will be a problem since I will seriously need to think about the DLC characters from Engage (+ Merrin) who will obviously not be in the game yet.

Final Ballot:

Fiona, Misha, Yuliya, Touma, Mae, Bernadetta and Rosado.

The first four were for the sake of getting them in the game. Then I was moved by the rally to give Mae and Boey one alt at long last.

Bernie and Rosado are simply my preferred choices for the win who were on the interim results, but as I said before I would like almost all the top candidates this year if they won.

On 1/22/2024 at 7:53 PM, Jotari said:

Hahahaha! When have I EVER voted tactically on here? Honestly, voting "I may as well back this person even though it's not who I'd vote for otherwise" seemed disingenuous conceptually to me. (Not saying others can't go that route if they want, but this is just my take for me personally.) So, I just never did. (Besides, I've been trying to get Elena into the game for the past 7 years (I think.) That's not stopping now.) The only year that wasn't all the Elena votes I could give was Year 1 when I didn't quite understand how this whole thing worked. (I voted for Ike, Soren, Ephraim, Hector, and Elena, with various repeat votes, as I recall. It's ironic how all of the men I've voted for have won at some point, and the one woman I consistently vote for is...well, a stretch.)

On that note, thank you, everyone who voted for Elena this year! I hope she gets added to Heroes soon! ^_^

On 1/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, ARMADS!!! said:

Oh I think its fair too that Karel counts as two, I was just wondering if he did.

Lol, someone mentioning Pair of Kings here, I loved that series. I never knew why they replaced Brady but I suspected that it had to be something like this (or because of that Prank Show he was a host in). It looked bad in the show anyway because the original premise was that Brady and Boomer were twins and then they shoved Boz as a random long lost twin that has never been mentioned. Ironically, the actor that played Boz was also fired from Disney (because he snd his girlfriend beat up an old lady or something like this) though Im not sure if that's why Pair of Kings was cancelled (I mean, they weren't going to create a fourth twin) or if it was a bit after the show ended. Charmed had a similar situation, it's about triplets witches (or maybe they were just a trio of sisters I don't remember, but they had to be 3 to use the "Power of Three", that was some power you could get by uniting the power of 3 sisters), but one of the girls misbehaved and treated the other actors poorply behind the cameras so they killed her character off and came up with a long lost sister too (curiously the new sister stayed for longer than the girl that was killed).

I loved that series, too. It was easily one of the best live-action Disney Channel series, along with Jessie and Secrets of Sulphur Springs. I can't find any definitive information about why it was cancelled, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

On 1/19/2024 at 10:10 PM, ARMADS!!! said:

I wonder if they wouldn't mind giving Emperor Arvis an OG alt, since they never gave a second OG alt to units that appear in two completely different ages (I've been begging on my knees for FE6 Karel for ages) with the exception of Tiki I guess, and on top of this there's the massive amount of characters from FE4 yet to be added (as has been mentioned) so I think that for now he has a higher chance of either being a mythic or just never showing up. I'd be glowing of happiness if they ever broke the pattern and started to release 2 OG versions of characters that appear in completely different ages though.

I have a feeling that if Karel appears on the spring banner this year (to complete Fir/Karla's family, much like the Whitewings and Macedon royal family appeared year after year on the spring banner) it will be older Karel. Fir and older Bartre are already there, and when Zephiel received a winter alt, his younger, not-in-the-game version was used. With Karel, it seems likely his older version would appear as a seasonal for the same reason.

I'll share my predictions for the winners:

Male:

1st place: Diamant

2nd place: Male Byleth

Female:

1st place: Ivy

2nd place: Bernadetta

As for who I want to win out of the Top 20:

Male:

1st place: Male Corrin

2nd place: Leo

Female:

1st place: Azura

2nd place: Elincia

I'd love to get Spring FE6 Karel. And also some form of FE6 Eliwood and Hector, for that matter. Winter could be a great fit for them.

I'll go ahead and predict that the two winners on the men's side for this CYL will be Diamant and Sigurd, and on the women's side it'll be Ivy and Yunaka. Sorry, Bernadetta, I think you're destined for third place yet again, but you're a shoo-in victory for next year if the fans keep up the persistant voting!

My guesses for the winners are: Diamant (1st) & Felix (2nd), Ivy (1st) and F!Robin (2nd). And as a bonus prediction, Bernadetta loses 2nd place to F!Robin by just 50 (or less) votes.

But if I could have anyone from the Top 20s, then the winners would be: Leo (1st) & Alcryst (2nd), Ivy (1st) and Azura (2nd).

I just hope Sigurd is one of them. But Diamant, Ivy, and Yunaka would certainly round out the rest of the lineup well.

My dream scenario out of candidates who seem like they could actually win is:

Female: Ivy, Alear
Male: Diamant, Sigurd

Though as long as the specific few characters I hope don't win, don't win, I'll be fine. Unfortunately there are like 5 characters on the male side who fall into this category.

3 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

I loved that series, too. It was easily one of the best live-action Disney Channel series, along with Jessie and Secrets of Sulphur Springs. I can't find any definitive information about why it was cancelled, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

I have a feeling that if Karel appears on the spring banner this year (to complete Fir/Karla's family, much like the Whitewings and Macedon royal family appeared year after year on the spring banner) it will be older Karel. Fir and older Bartre are already there, and when Zephiel received a winter alt, his younger, not-in-the-game version was used. With Karel, it seems likely his older version would appear as a seasonal for the same reason.

Yeah, I didn't find any info on why it was canceled too, the wiki says that there was a movie on development (in which Brady was supposed to briefly show up) but I'm not sure if this is just something that someone made up or not (since it's just on the wiki). Another of the best Disney channel live action series is Kickin it/Wasabi warriors (and Zeke&Luther -that starred the guy who played Boz in Pair of Kings but some years before- is great too), though maybe these two were Disney XD but at this point I barely know the difference. I never heard of Sulphur Fantasies, but I might give it a shot one day since you said this.

Yeah, I forgot to mention before that I wanted Karel to get anything but a spring alt because that's the seasonal banner I like the less by far (still I'd rather a spring alt than nothing), also since Karla had to be from FE7 (since she was dead in FE6) then I think Karel could be from either, FE7 Karel dressed as a bunny would be funnier by far.

3 hours ago, Othin said:

I'd love to get Spring FE6 Karel. And also some form of FE6 Eliwood and Hector, for that matter. Winter could be a great fit for them.

Winter FE6 Hector as santa Claus looks like one of the very few Winter alts I'd care for, if they plan on dressing everyone with those very similar red clothes forever.

3 hours ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

I'll go ahead and predict that the two winners on the men's side for this CYL will be Diamant and Sigurd, and on the women's side it'll be Ivy and Yunaka. Sorry, Bernadetta, I think you're destined for third place yet again, but you're a shoo-in victory for next year if the fans keep up the persistant voting!

I actually think Sigurd has a good chance of winning too, he's one my prefered options to win from the male side (Alfonse is the other, Leif would be cool too).

33 minutes ago, Florete said:

My dream scenario out of candidates who seem like they could actually win is:

Female: Ivy, Alear
Male: Diamant, Sigurd

Though as long as the specific few characters I hope don't win, don't win, I'll be fine. Unfortunately there are like 5 characters on the male side who fall into this category.

For me there's almost 10 lol (I don't remember exactly how much, or exactly which ones they were, just that the women's side had more I really didn't want to win, I might check which ones they were later).

Edited by ARMADS!!!

1 hour ago, Othin said:

I just hope Sigurd is one of them. But Diamant, Ivy, and Yunaka would certainly round out the rest of the lineup well.

I call it now, if Sigurd wins we'll see the power creep manifest into five move units.