Choose Your Legends 8 is live!

32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well my point overall is that CYL is not an absolutely accurate measure of popularity.

In a way, kind of. The final boss would really be Veld and Raydrik together. Both of them are partners in crime responsible for petrifying Eyvel. And of the two, Rayrdrik is the one with more personality and more history. Veld's narrative role is basically just an extension of Manfroy and the Lopt Cult as a whole, only he's free to die because he's not in Genealogy of the Holy War. Both of them are also noticeably absent from the lengthy middle section of the game. Raydrik is killed in the second last numbered chapter (with a Paralogue to rescue Eyvel in between) while Veld is fought in the last chapter, but Veld does bring Raydrik back as one of the Deadlords for the final chapter. Veld is also infamous for just kind of being a weak final boss. His stats are on par with any other generic boss in the game, with some bosses even in the late early game being better than him in certain stats. Which means you can probably one round him with one of your characters, and even capture him. He does have a tome that can turn people to stone with a limited way to reverse it, but Thracia being what it is, once you can reach him, you probably will kill him fairly quickly.

So ultimately he's a bit of a boring character without much personality, just a generic lackey for his boss, and a bit of a joke as an actual threatening enemy in terms of gameplay. He doesn't do anything offensively bad as a character like, there's no decisions that don't make sense or anything. He's just kind of "Meh". Getting Eyvel stoned is the only thing really to his name, but even that (which is really well done) has more focus on the overall situation and context than specific focus on Veld as a character.

Oh ok, I've always seen people saying that on the final chapter of Thracia  you have a harder time reaching the boss than actually fighting him but still I never thought he'd be that unpopular. It's crazy to think that Idunn could possibly be even less popular than Veld if she wasn't pretty (very underwhelming final boss fight, literaly has no personality and does absolutely nothing (although that was probably the point), total screentime of like 5 minutes including her boss fight, you only ever learn about her existence on the very end of the game, she was literally just a pawn of Zephiel and Jhan and yet became more popular than them, she is almost on the level of FE7's Fire Dragon (who is not even votable) except that she has a human face and a name,...).

Speaking of Jhan... Now I think that maybe I should've spared a vote for him.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I agree with your main point, about CYL not being an accurate measure of popularity.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I'd heard that FE5 is the hardest Fire Emblem game, while at the same time having the easiest ever Fire Emblem end boss. Guess that's likely true.

That Paralogue Jotari mentioned where you save Eyvel?

That map is quite possibly the dumbest map in the entire series. Simply put, it’s a fog of war map (and in FE5, you can’t see the map at all if it’s under fog) that is also littered with warp tiles. The purpose of said warp tiles is to trap and kill your units.

4 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

That Paralogue Jotari mentioned where you save Eyvel?

That map is quite possibly the dumbest map in the entire series. Simply put, it’s a fog of war map (and in FE5, you can’t see the map at all if it’s under fog) that is also littered with warp tiles. The purpose of said warp tiles is to trap and kill your units.

@Humanoid, adding to what Tybrosion said, you can also softlock yourself on this chapter if you're playing blind and fuck up ("THE DOOR" even became a meme at this point).

EDIT: Wait, I'm thinking the final chapter, just realized Tybrosion is talking about a paralogue. Still, FE5 has a handful of "fuck you" moments that seem to be there just to troll you.

Edited by ARMADS!!!

19 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Oh ok, I've always seen people saying that on the final chapter of Thracia  you have a harder time reaching the boss than actually fighting him but still I never thought he'd be that unpopular. It's crazy to think that Idunn could possibly be even less popular than Veld if she wasn't pretty (very underwhelming final boss fight, literaly has no personality and does absolutely nothing (although that was probably the point), total screentime of like 5 minutes including her boss fight, you only ever learn about her existence on the very end of the game, she was literally just a pawn of Zephiel and Jhan and yet became more popular than them, she is almost on the level of FE7's Fire Dragon (who is not even votable) except that she has a human face and a name,...).

Speaking of Jhan... Now I think that maybe I should've spared a vote for him.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I agree with your main point, about CYL not being an accurate measure of popularity.

That's a bit of an unfair comparison. Idunn is not the best final boss in the series, but she still does have a character, even if that character is "No character", and her suffering can, and does elicit sympathy with a thematic purpose that plays into the resolution of the game. Not everyone has to like her, but she is a much better character than Veld and her popularity is not entirely down to having a vagina (which, uh, might actually be plot relevant depending on your interpretation as to how she makes War Dragons *shudder*). For a Binding Blade comparison, Veld is more like Brunnya. Only more generically cruel and without specific motivation as to why he's doing the things he's doing.

Okay, battle ballot full of Elena complete! Also, the illustrations are cute. I especially like the first one and the one with Neimi, Colm, Matthew and Leila! ^_^

as.png?ex=65bf71b6&is=65acfcb6&hm=1c7b82

Ivy looks super out of place, I know. I was undecided between her and Dorothy, and eventually decided to leave it to the whims of fate. By which I mean, ask for someone to tell me a number from 1 to 10. Lower half was Ivy, upper half was Dorothy. The first one to respond said 4.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

When Veld was released someone said something along the lines of "this is probably the least popular character to be added to the game so far", and honestly, it's probably still true. Dithorba probably has more fans than Veld.

I don't remember which one it was, but there was a CyL where Veld was second-to-last. He got this close to becoming CyL's next big loser. I think being added to heroes bolstered his popularity just a tiny tad (enough to avoid being seen at a glance by me when I went looking for all the CyL losers) but yeah, 100% the least popular character ever added to Heroes.

And yet they had no choice, he's Thracia's final boss. Not many other options to add for Thracia villains, especially when they had already implemented the only other remotely notable villains (Reinhardt and Memepf). Though I still would've added Raydrik first. And Cohen. And Paulus. And Largo. And anyone over friggin' Reinhardt, really.

...I don't know if Dithorba has more fans than Veld, though. Dithorba is a completely generic recolor boss with like three lines to her name, and she gets overshadowed by Pamela in her own chapter, to boot. Her addition to Heroes is utterly baffling and without her I doubt she would've had a single fan in the entire world. Heck, I don't even think she's votable in CyL!

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

That's a bit of an unfair comparison. Idunn is not the best final boss in the series, but she still does have a character, even if that character is "No character", and her suffering can, and does elicit sympathy with a thematic purpose that plays into the resolution of the game. Not everyone has to like her, but she is a much better character than Veld and her popularity is not entirely down to having a vagina (which, uh, might actually be plot relevant depending on your interpretation as to how she makes War Dragons *shudder*). For a Binding Blade comparison, Veld is more like Brunnya. Only more generically cruel and without specific motivation as to why he's doing the things he's doing.

Yeah, Idunn may be a terrible final boss, but she's not a terrible character. She does get overshadowed by Zephiel, but that's because, well, Zephiel is the main villain, not Idunn. It's Zephiel's designs and ambitions that Roy fights against the entire game, Idunn is a puppet he uses to further them - which is an interesting inverse of the usual "puppet king, cultist/dragon mastermind" dynamic FE usually goes for. And unless I'm forgetting someone, she may be the only major villain in all of FE that potentially gets a good ending.

Conflating her to Veld is uh... Something, all right. She has a lot more depth to her than Veld does. Veld is a literal generic lol, if he were in FE4 he'd be a recolor of Sandima or Clement.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And yet they had no choice, he's Thracia's final boss.

Someone aught to tell them that in regards to Blazing Blade. Because Nergal absolutely deserves to, oh wait did I say Nergal? I meant random generic Fire Dragon absolutely deserves to be in the game!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Not many other options to add 

...I don't know if Dithorba has more fans than Veld, though. Dithorba is a completely generic recolor boss with like three lines to her name, and she gets overshadowed by Pamela in her own chapter, to boot. Her addition to Heroes is utterly baffling and without her I doubt she would've had a single fan in the entire world. Heck, I don't even think she's votable in CyL!

She's votable in CYL...now. Being on the ballot since 2001, a month before she actually got into the game. It seems she did have one fan in the entire fan, one fan placed in exactly the right position to put her in the game!

(Pamela, despite being more important than Dithorba still isn't on CYL. Neither are Lewyn's uncles, that actual antagonists of the chapter and potential armoured mages).

Edited by Jotari

Veld is kind of a joke, but I like him anyway. Or in part because of that, I guess. I want all the major villains to get in, and I found Veld to be a particularly delightful surprise.

htypT3v.jpg

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

as.png?ex=65bf71b6&is=65acfcb6&hm=1c7b82

Yeah, Idunn may be a terrible final boss, but she's not a terrible character. She does get overshadowed by Zephiel, but that's because, well, Zephiel is the main villain, not Idunn. It's Zephiel's designs and ambitions that Roy fights against the entire game, Idunn is a puppet he uses to further them - which is an interesting inverse of the usual "puppet king, cultist/dragon mastermind" dynamic FE usually goes for. And unless I'm forgetting someone, she may be the only major villain in all of FE that potentially gets a good ending.

Conflating her to Veld is uh... Something, all right. She has a lot more depth to her than Veld does. Veld is a literal generic lol, if he were in FE4 he'd be a recolor of Sandima or Clement.

Ok, Idunn is not like Veld then, my mistake on speaking about a character that I didn't get to yet (Veld), I mean, from the other post Jotari made here taking about Veld (the one I quoted, then making the comparision to Idunn) I saw parallels to Idunn (like being a bad and easy final boss, doing nothing even though that's sorta Idunn's point I guess, being absent for a large portion of the game) but in all cases I thought that Idunn did it more than him, it gave me the impression that they were comparable, I wasn't aware that Veld was that generic, guess I should know better before doing another comparision next time (it's just that I didn't think he could that much of a generic, now is way clearer why he's so unpopular).

I understand that Idunn is not a terrible character too, she's actually pretty alright (though her horrible boss fight might have made me like her a bit less than I would otherwise, as much as I understand that the point is that she doesn't wanna fight back and all, a boss that doesn't wanna fight you looks cool on paper, but it's a big disappointment when you get there yourself, hadn't I played blind, maybe I wouldn't have been that disappointed) but I think that her popularity is undeserved (most of it is because she is pretty and a good unit in Heroes, sorta like how Reinhardt and Ishtar but in her case it bothers me because I don't know exactly how important- or not important- the other two are on FE5), and I don't mean just because she's has a vagina but simply being pretty and having a cool design does put her on the good graces of a lot of people, I mean, if Veld was a young handsome and cool looking dragon dude with heterocromia Im sure he wouldn't ever have placed second lowest (and could be as bad as a character as he wanted). Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Idunn as a character, she fills her role very well, I just find it sorta annoying how popular she is (and when I thought that Veld was comparable to her it made me wonder how could one be SO unpopular and the other not), also my disappointment with her final boss fight does stain my view of her a bit as much as I liked the theme and the idea.

Also not to be a contrarian, but I actually do like Brunnya a lot, didn't think she's a bad character (sure, she's not any masterpiece of character writing too, but I found her good enough).

(Also now that was mentioned that Idunn's vagina might be plot important, I remembered how I almost broke my head trying to think how the hell she gave birth to all those dragons, don't know why but my suspension of disbelief didn't work on that one, I decided that maybe she just layed a bunch of eggs like koi fish and let this be the truth in my head, because a woman giving birth to a whole army is something I can hardly conceive... At the same time it then became odd to picture that Ninian and Nils came from an egg too, or that a half dragon with a manakete father and human mother would not come from an egg while a half dragon with a dragon Mother and human dad would...).

29 minutes ago, Othin said:

Veld is kind of a joke, but I like him anyway. Or in part because of that, I guess. I want all the major villains to get in, and I found Veld to be a particularly delightful surprise.

htypT3v.jpg

Yeah, I think all major villains deserve to be in too, even the ones that are sort of a joke (looking at you, Ephidel).

Edited by ARMADS!!!

34 minutes ago, ARMADS!!! said:

Ok, Idunn is not like Veld then, my mistake on speaking about a character that I didn't get to yet (Veld), I mean, from the other post Jotari made here taking about Veld (the one I quoted, then making the comparision to Idunn) I saw parallels to Idunn (like being a bad and easy final boss, doing nothing even though that's sorta Idunn's point I guess, being absent for a large portion of the game) but in all cases I thought that Idunn did it more than him, it gave me the impression that they were comparable, I wasn't aware that Veld was that generic, guess I should know better before doing another comparision next time (it's just that I didn't think he could that much of a generic, now is way clearer why he's so unpopular).

I understand that Idunn is not a terrible character too, she's actually pretty alright (though her horrible boss fight might have made me like her a bit less than I would otherwise, as much as I understand that the point is that she doesn't wanna fight back and all, a boss that doesn't wanna fight you looks cool on paper, but it's a big disappointment when you get there yourself, hadn't I played blind, maybe I wouldn't have been that disappointed) but I think that her popularity is undeserved (most of it is because she is pretty and a good unit in Heroes, sorta like how Reinhardt and Ishtar but in her case it bothers me because I don't know exactly how important- or not important- the other two are on FE5), and I don't mean just because she's has a vagina but simply being pretty and having a cool design does put her on the good graces of a lot of people, I mean, if Veld was a young handsome and cool looking dragon dude with heterocromia Im sure he wouldn't ever have placed second lowest (and could be as bad as a character as he wanted). Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Idunn as a character, she fills her role very well, I just find it sorta annoying how popular she is (and when I thought that Veld was comparable to her it made me wonder how could one be SO unpopular and the other not), also my disappointment with her final boss fight does stain my view of her a bit as much as I liked the theme and the idea.

I like Idunn's boss fight for the thematic elements of it. It's fitting that she goes down easy, unlike the other GBA bosses who barely take much more effort but are meant to be intimidating.

Also not to be a contrarian, but I actually do like Brunnya a lot, didn't think she's a bad character (sure, she's not any masterpiece of character writing too, but I found her good enough).

That wasn't a stab at Brunnuya's character (which less face it is just Female Camus #2 with less attention, which Veld certainly is not) but more her actual position in the plot structure. Veld is a middle management final boss on par with some of the other minor bosses you fight in Genealogy due to the smaller scope of the game. It's not an inherently bad idea, but they didn't really sell it properly with Veld. He just lacks charisma and presence. All this gets me wondering how he could be fixed as a character in a hypothetical remake 🤔

(Also now that was mentioned that Idunn's vagina might be plot important, I remembered how I almost broke my head trying to think how the hell she gave birth to all those dragons, don't know why but my suspension of disbelief didn't work on that one, I decided that maybe she just layed a bunch of eggs like koi fish and let this be the truth in my head, because a woman giving birth to a whole army is something I can hardly conceive... At the same time it then became odd to picture that Ninian and Nils came from an egg too, or that a half dragon with a manakete father and human mother would not come from an egg while a half dragon with a dragon Mother and human dad would...).

Yeah, I think all major villains deserve to be in too, even the ones that are sort of a joke (looking at you, Ephidel).

Well if it helps your head, infinite reinforcements spawn from the statues in the room you fight her, which could possibly be interpreted as he literally creating them right there.

Edited by Jotari

a251f0ae4a7c9c5dbd65bdaa2fcbee6d03b1bf57

Today I gave my last vote to my favorite Fire Emblem character, Jakob! He’s been in Heroes since launch, and while he received an alt (several years ago,) unlike with Felicia, it’s not a good alt and the art is lackluster. I hope he gets something better in 2024.

This Choose Your Legends is unusual in that it is the first time I voted for a different character each day. While I didn’t intend this, it occured to me that each character I voted for has some trait in common with the character next to it on either side. Marisha and Legault are among the few Fire Emblem characters who don’t get happy endings at the end of their games, but that isn’t nearly as obvious as the other common traits.

10 hours ago, Magenta Fantasies said:

This Choose Your Legends is unusual in that it is the first time I voted for a different character each day.

I wonder how he voting would change if users were forced to vote for a different character each day. One one hand it would probably reduce vote crowding at the top of the polls which in my view would be a good thing. A lot of the winners probably are winning because many of their fans are giving them seven votes. On the other hand the lower mid units might suffer huge ranks down as getting seven votes from just a couple of people would hugely effect their placing. 

29 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Now imagine if it was simply one person, one vote.

I think that on this case, the less popular characters would have less vote because there's a lot of people who give most of the votes for who they want to win and then throw 1 (or 2 or 3) to the less popular characters they like, to support them but without completely dedicating themselves to it. If we only had one shot, most people would want to vote for someone that could win.

Of course as a result of there being less votes overall, the top characters would obviously have less votes too, what I mean is that the unpopular characters would have a lower percentage of votes than they do now.

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

As per their announcement, results will be released around January 28th.

Where did they announce it? I didn't see anything. Also, I guess this means the feh channel will probably be on the 28th too.

4 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

Botting would get relatively stronger as a result though, once and done for each throwaway email address.

I think they tend to be pretty cautious with bots so not sure if it would affect the results all that much in the end (I'm not an expert on the subject, just a hunch!), although yeah, there surely be more attempts to make extra accounts.

I don't think they'll ever change how it works and let us vote just once anyway, they probably want the engagement of the voting period to last for the whole of the seven days, if it was just one vote then what? would it be just one day of voting too? If it were more, then a lot of people would be saving their vote for after the midterm results, or would there be no midterm results too?(and that'd be even less engagement).

I am lazy and don't want to take a screenshot but my votes went: 3 for Effin, 2 for Volug and 2 for Yashiro.  

I actually missed voting a few days due to boredom, and distracted by bad weather 

Votes went to Gunninugap, Ranulf, Felicia, Lute, and I gave Brom a vote because I remembered someone here is a fan.

Hoping for some combination of Ivy, Goldmary, Alear or Veyle won for girls.i voted once for Ivy and the rest for Goldmary.

As for guys only one I really have an opinion on is Sigurd specifically because of Engage version of him I liked so I wouldn't mind him winning.

Edited by vikingsfan92

Man, if we have an Engage sweep (or 3 Houses) I might seriously consider not even trying to vote for anyone to actually win next year, and then just start to give all of my votes to my less popular favorites.

4 minutes ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Facebook and Twitter.

Oh, of course. And I started go back several days on the game' notifications page like a clown, that explains why I didn't see it then...