Special Heroes: Flush Summer

Predictable as it was, IS going back to the Book VII well instead of giving Valentia or Jugdral literally anything on a summer banner is nonetheless quite sad.

Then again, I personally won't be helping since I absolutely want that Summer Gullveig & Seidr. I've become addicted to cheesing PvE content (whenever I can) with Gullveig. She's just too good.

Didn't read the skills yet cause I'm busy right now, but I had to see the lineup of characters for the banner. Very happy it's really Hríd and his art is top tier, Olivia's outfit is pretty as hell and... I don't really care for Seidr, Gullveig and Nerfus (though I was actually sorta excited for Njordr after some comments that @Mercaketemade on the possible interactions between him and Freyr... Really a pitty he isn't here) but the summer banner had never been my favorite anyway so I won't complain, at least I can save orbs, Gullveig's snake floaty is pretty neat too.

What I WILL complain about though is... Yet another year where no one gets a volley ball, what the hell? The game has been around for 8 years, and they haven't given anyone a ball? I think someone has gotten a beach ball at least, if I'm not mistaken, but still, around 15 summer banners and no fucking volley ball?? Of course, it's a minor and insignificant complaint, it's just that the lack of volley ball becomes more noticesble every year, as if the pink elephant in the room grows bigger after each summer banner.

Gullveig Seior duo unit was Inevitable at some point. it being the summer banner is not really a suprise. 

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

Predictable as it was, IS going back to the Book VII well instead of giving Valentia or Jugdral literally anything on a summer banner is nonetheless quite sad.

Tbf they usually do heroes on one summer banner and another game on the other. This year they put heroes on the first banner but still hope for [insert game here] to get something on the other banner

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Then again, I personally won't be helping since I absolutely want that Summer Gullveig & Seidr. I've become addicted to cheesing PvE content (whenever I can) with Gullveig. She's just too good.

I love spam turn units and it turns out that they keep doing them on charcters I am fans of (Gullvieg, Edelgard, Ninja Lyn and ninja Micaiah)

Olivia: Wavecrest Dancer seems pretty tame. She does not have an exclusive Weapon, and as a colorless tome unit, she does not have a lot of options for Inheritance either. She is kind of gimped in that regard.

Gullveig: Glittering Sunlight is a nice triple Galeforce queen.

10 minutes ago, vikingsfan92 said:

Tbf they usually do heroes on one summer banner and another game on the other. This year they put heroes on the first banner but still hope for [insert game here] to get something on the other banner

Yeah, and we can safely bet that one will go for a mix of Three Houses and Engage instead of giving Valentia or Jugdral even a passing glance.

IS HATES giving either of Valentia or Jugdral seasonals in general. Valentia in particular hasn't gotten a seasonal unit since October 2022 (Harvest Duma & Mila).

7 minutes ago, XRay said:

Olivia: Wavecrest Dancer seems pretty tame. She does not have an exclusive Weapon, and as a colorless tome unit, she does not have a lot of options for Inheritance either. She is kind of gimped in that regard.

Sure, but have you considered the fact that Awakening straight up hasn't gotten a new dancer unit since 2018? That actually happened because IS, for almost six years, apparently forgot Olivia existed.

It would be nice to get Hrid and Olivia, but I don't really have anything to spare for this banner because I'm already saving and spending on other things.

No comment on the other two, because I hated everything about book 7 that was not the music.

EDIT: Wait. Hold the phone. Am I misreading something, or can Hrid restore ONE HUNDRED PERCENT of his HP?

Please tell me I misinterpreted something.

Edited by Sunwoo

I skimmed Gullveig's kit so correct me if I missed anything but the main thing that stood out to me was the summer version traded NFU in her weapon for DR piercing compared to her Mythic version. Not that I have the orbs but I think I'll just stick with the Mythic version. If she shares with someone interesting on a DSH banner then I might go for a copy. 

Got to say other then Hrid and Vaike I don't care about this banner at all.  Well I need to start saving for CYL so I will probably wait on Hrid until his return later on hopefully sharing with duo!Sharena.  It is neat that with Vaike all Awakening playable characters are in in some form, maybe the December banner won't be Awakening this year(I hope).

I'm heading to bed, so I'll read skill descriptions later, but as usual, I'm still doing translation notes:

The banner name, "Flush Summer", is "恥ずかしがり屋の夏" (hazukashigari-ya no natsu), "The Shy Ones' Summer". "恥ずかしがり屋" (hazukashigari-ya), "shy person", is a reference to base Olivia's epithet, "恥ずかしがり屋の" (hazukashigari-ya no), "the shy" used as an appositive.

Nerthuz's epithet, "Beach Chaperone", is "人の子との夏" (hito no ko to no natsu), "A Summer With the Children of Mankind".

Love of Nerþuz is "地の女神の溺愛" (chi no megami no dekiai), "Doting From the Goddess of the Land".

Under the Sun is "日に育ち地に満ちる" (hi ni sodachi-chi ni michiru), "Filling the Land of Upbringing With Sun".

Beast Threaten is "獣の威嚇" (kemono no ikaku), "Beast Intimidation". "威嚇" (ikaku), "intimidation", is the name of the Threaten skill series.

Hrid's epithet, "Island Ice Prince", is "楽園の氷王子" (rakuen no hyōōji), "Ice Prince of Paradise".

Prince's Lance is "荒波制す氷王の槍" (aranami-seisu hyōō no yari), "Lance of the Ice King That Tames the Raging Waves".

Ice Prince's Seal is "氷王の封印" (hyōō no fūin), "Seal of the Ice King".

Odd Def Wave is "守備の波・奇数" (shubi no nami: kisū), "Def Wave: Odd Numbers".

Olivia's epithet, "Wavecrest Dancer", is "心踊る波" (kokoro-odoru nami), "Waves That Dance in the Heart".

Sea Tambourine is "南国の楽器" (nangoku no gakki), "Musical Instrument of the Tropics". "南国" (nangoku), literally "southern nation", is a blanket term used to refer to locations in the tropics, typically with the connotation of being a vacation spot.

Gullveig's epithet, "Glittering Sunlight", is "輝ける海へ" (kagayakeru umi e), "To the Sparkling Ocean". "海" (umi) normally means "sea" or "ocean", but in the context of vacation destinations, it can also mean "beach".

Golden Sunlight is "魔女と女神の夏光" (majo to megami no kakō), "Summer Light of the Witch and the Goddess". "魔女" (majo), "witch", is the term localized as "Seer" when referring to Gullveig.

Time and Light is "時と光" (toki to hikari), "Time and Light".

Odd Spd Wave is "速さの波・奇数" (hayasa no nami: kisū), "Spd Wave: Odd Numbers".

Vaike's epithet, "Sunbaked Stunner", is "常夏の腕自慢" (tokonatsu no ude-jiman), "The Everlasting Summer's Pride". "腕自慢" (ude-jiman) means "to take pride in one's own abilities" or in this context "one who takes pride in their own abilities".

Tropical Conch is "南国のほら貝" (nangoku no horagai), "Conch of the Tropics".

Beast is "絶体化身" (zettai keshin), "Guaranteed Transformation". This is the name of the Beast skill series, but without the secondary effects.

And I think forgot about this one during the translation notes for Legendary Male Corrin:

Divine Vein (Water) is "天脈・水" (tenmyaku: mizu), "Divine Vein: Water".

18 hours ago, Florete said:

Well-placed flower and water.

I continue to find it funny that they still bother to make a build of the game with censored artwork for the sole purpose of recording the trailer.

Edited by Ice Dragon

Hrid is nice to see, but otherwise this is a skip. I don't really care for the Book 7 characters and having them make the bulk of the banner does little to appeal to me.

1 hour ago, ARMADS!!! said:

(though I was actually sorta excited for Njordr after some comments that @Mercaketemade on the possible interactions between him and Freyr... Really a pitty he isn't here)

I feel if he ever appears it's going to be on something like Halloween or a nation themed banner. Summer isn't really the season I'd see IS drop him in.

Olivia's the demote (also, kind of surprised to see her here) and...Vaike?! Well, he's finally in heroes as the freebie summer unit! Good for him. I kind of expected Nerpuz, but...irritated that Njordr is still missing. If he's not on this banner, then I doubt he's getting in on the other summer banner. Man, this was the perfect theme for him, too, since he's the god of the sea. Maybe there'll be a different, thematically appropriate way for him to get in? Also, weird that Nerpuz was talking about the beauty of the sea, since she's all about the land. Seems really out of character for her. Also there's another Gullveig/Seidr here. At least they have a snake floatie, which is cute and really takes advantage of that "I'm floating" pose Gullveig (and others) strikes. But dang, the sheer number of times they can attack per turn is disgusting.

Also, Hrid finally joins his sisters/goddess! I thought for sure he'd be left out. I want to pull for him (though the only other summer Niflian I have is Ylgr.) HOWEVER there is also Nerpuz, and I collect goats (since I kept accidentally getting them and eventually accepted that fate.) I still need to get Summer Freyja (and her Freyr floatie) too, to complete the collection. Otherwise, I have them all. So...Hrid's the priority.

Now to look at the ping I received!

Ah, I see. Yeah, it would've been good, and I wish he was here to bond with his kids over fishing (to show them how superior fish are to humans (???)) but IS prioritizes...other things. @Etrurian emperor made some great points about Seteth and Flayn, as well as Alois and Petra being a fit for the summer banners, too. (This was said on the pre bannder discussion thread; I just kept not mentioning it there, even though I intended to.)

Well this certainly isn't a banner for me. Hrid never interested me in the slightest and my feelings about the entirety of book 7 aren't much better. Actually the fact Hrid of all people will be my free pull is enough to tell me that this isn't the banner for me.

Its a bit of a shame. I'd have liked pretty much every book 6 oc for this theme, but Askr/Embla Ashe/Elm and Letizia/Bruno aren't on this banner.

Edited by Sasori

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

I continue to find it funny that they still bother to make a build of the game with censored artwork for the sole purpose of recording the trailer.

Tbf it's because they want the Nintendo Mobile youtube channel to be accesible throught YouTube Kids, so they have to cover up the units with more risqué outfits, also it's probably not expensive or takes to long to add some flowers and water over the images anyway. Of course, it still looks ridiculous but if they didn't bother doing it then the videos wouldn't be suitable for YouTube kids (and I'm not 100% sure on that one but I think that if a good portion of the videos on your channel are not suitable for YouTube Kids then your channel as a whole is not too).

7 hours ago, Medeus said:

Hrid is nice to see, but otherwise this is a skip. I don't really care for the Book 7 characters and having them make the bulk of the banner does little to appeal to me.

I feel if he ever appears it's going to be on something like Halloween or a nation themed banner. Summer isn't really the season I'd see IS drop him in.

I could see it since his whole family is on the banner and he is the sea god. I don't think he'd get any other seasonal, unless maybe Halloween.

7 minutes ago, Sasori said:

Well this certainly isn't a banner for me. Hrid never interested me in the slightest and my feelings about the entirety of book 7 aren't much better. Actually the fact Hrid of all people will be my free pull is enough to tell me that this isn't the banner for me.

Its a bit of a shame. I'd have liked pretty much every book 6 oc for this theme, but Askr/Embla Ashe/Elm and Letizia/Bruno aren't on this banner.

Speaking of Letizia, it's a bit weird she never got an alt, I mean... Isn't she at least a bit popular? Im not sure if she was just the "talk of the moment" during the beggining of book VI cause she was a new character and then got forgotten because of Embla and Askr or if she kept being popular, but you'd think that she'd have gotten something other than her OG alt after two years and a half after she first got screen time.

9 hours ago, XRay said:

Olivia: Wavecrest Dancer seems pretty tame. She does not have an exclusive Weapon, and as a colorless tome unit, she does not have a lot of options for Inheritance either.

Especially if you compare her to Spring Mirabilis, another 4-star focus that released 3 months before.

46 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Sure, but have you considered the fact that Awakening straight up hasn't gotten a new dancer unit since 2018? That actually happened because IS, for almost six years, apparently forgot Olivia existed.

Awakening already got four Dancers. I mean, more is always nice, but she is pretty normal, compared to the Dancers from Heroes. I do not think any game is lacking Dancers/Singers right now except TMS who got none. Shadow Dragon, Sacred Stones, and Engage only got one Dancer/Sing each, so they need a Dancer/Singer more than Awakening does. Echoes, Binding Blade, and Path of Radiance got only two Dancers/Singers, so they should get another one too.

Spoiler

HEROES:
Mirabilis
Mirabilis: Spring Daydream
Mirabilis: Sugarplum Vision
Peony
Peony: Álfar Dream Duo
Peony: Cherished Dream
Plumeria
Plumeria: Rapturous Dream
Plumeria: Temptations Anew
Triandra
Triandra: Reverent Dream
Triandra: Sunlit Nightmare
Caeda: Sea-Blossom Pair (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Kvasir (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Kvasir: Unknown Future (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Tana: Soothing Warmth (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

SHADOW DRAGON
Phina
Tiki: Harmonic Hope (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

ECHOES
Berkut: Debonair Noble
Rinea: Reminiscent Belle

RIBALD TALES OF THE FAITH WAR
Dorothea: Twilit Harmony
Eldigan: Strutting Lion
Ethlyn: Glimmering Lady
Lachesis: Ballroom Bloom
Lene
Quan: Lightfoot Prince
Sigurd: Destined Duo
Silvia

THRACIA 776
Ishtar: Thunder's Waltz
Lara
Reinhardt: Lightning's Rondo

BINDING BLADE
Larum
Larum: Dancing Bride

BLAZING BLADE
Nils
Nils: Wandering Star
Ninian
Ninian: Bright-Eyed Bride
Ninian: Frozen Heart
Ninian: Ice-Dragon Oracle

SACRED STONES
Tethys

PATH OF RADIANCE
Azura: Hatari Duet
Nephenee: Sincere Dancer

RADIANT DAWN
Elincia: Estival Princess
Leanne
Micaiah: Summer's Dawn
Reyson
Rafiel: Blessed Wings

AWAKENING
Inigo: Indigo Dancer
Olivia
Olivia: Festival Dancer
Olivia: Sky-High Dancer
Olivia: Wavecrest Dancer
Chrom: Crowned Exalt (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fated Honor (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fell Exalt (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Fate's Resolve (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Future Fondness (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Glorious Archer (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

FATES
Azura
Azura: Celebratory Spirit
Azura: Lady of Balads
Azura: Song's Reflection
Azura: Valite Songstress
Azura: Young Songstress
Ryoma: Dancing Samurai
Shigure: Dark Sky Singer
Xander: Dancing Knight

THREE HOUSES
Dorothea: Solar Songstress
Dorothea: Yuletide Dancer
Marianne: Serene Adherent (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

ENGAGE
Seadall: Misfortune-Teller

28 minutes ago, XRay said:

Awakening already got four Dancers. I mean, more is always nice, but she is pretty normal, compared to the Dancers from Heroes.

Four dancers, two of which most players will never get at this point anyways, with stat lines like these: 

37/28/33/22/20/140
36/28/33/27/26/150
34/28/34/16/28/140
36/30/34/26/23/149

Just based on how hopelessly behind these guys are (and only one of them has a Prf weapon.....which happens to be hilariously underpowered and on the refine ban list), Awakening definitely could use a dancer who doesn't spontaneously combust if literally any modern unit so much as looks at them funny.

Why is Summer Vaike an axe infantry?

"Beast Sacred Seal" is pretty non-descriptive, but apparently the Japanese name is Absolute Transformation, so it's probably just removing the transformation condition.

3 hours ago, XRay said:

Awakening already got four Dancers. I mean, more is always nice, but she is pretty normal, compared to the Dancers from Heroes. I do not think any game is lacking Dancers/Singers right now except TMS who got none. Shadow Dragon, Sacred Stones, and Engage only got one Dancer/Sing each, so they need a Dancer/Singer more than Awakening does. Echoes, Binding Blade, and Path of Radiance got only two Dancers/Singers, so they should get another one too.

Hide contents

HEROES:
Mirabilis
Mirabilis: Spring Daydream
Mirabilis: Sugarplum Vision
Peony
Peony: Álfar Dream Duo
Peony: Cherished Dream
Plumeria
Plumeria: Rapturous Dream
Plumeria: Temptations Anew
Triandra
Triandra: Reverent Dream
Triandra: Sunlit Nightmare
Kvasir (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Kvasir: Unknown Future (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

SHADOW DRAGON
Phina

ECHOES
Berkut: Debonair Noble
Rinea: Reminiscent Belle

RIBALD TALES OF THE FAITH WAR
Eldigan: Strutting Lion
Ethlyn: Glimmering Lady
Lachesis: Ballroom Bloom
Lene
Quan: Lightfoot Prince
Sigurd: Destined Duo
Silvia

THRACIA 776
Ishtar: Thunder's Waltz
Lara
Reinhardt: Lightning's Rondo

BINDING BLADE
Larum
Larum: Dancing Bride

BLAZING BLADE
Nils
Nils: Wandering Star
Ninian
Ninian: Bright-Eyed Bride
Ninian: Frozen Heart
Ninian: Ice-Dragon Oracle

SACRED STONES
Tethys

PATH OF RADIANCE
Nephenee: Sincere Dancer

RADIANT DAWN
Elincia: Estival Princess
Leanne
Micaiah: Summer's Dawn
Reyson
Rafiel: Blessed Wings

AWAKENING
Inigo: Indigo Dancer
Olivia
Olivia: Festival Dancer
Olivia: Sky-High Dancer
Olivia: Wavecrest Dancer
Chrom: Crowned Exalt (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fate-Defying Duo (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fated Honor (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Chrom: Fell Exalt (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Fate's Resolve (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Future Fondness (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)
Lucina: Glorious Archer (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

FATES
Azura
Azura: Celebratory Spirit
Azura: Lady of Balads
Azura: Song's Reflection
Azura: Valite Songstress
Azura: Young Songstress
Ryoma: Dancing Samurai
Shigure: Dark Sky Singer
Xander: Dancing Knight

THREE HOUSES
Dorothea: Solar Songstress
Dorothea: Yuletide Dancer
Marianne: Serene Adherent (Pseudo Dancer/Singer)

ENGAGE
Seadall: Misfortune-Teller

One more reason to be pissed at the lack of Elphin.

I think all games that are not Heroes, Blazing Sword, and Fates (with some caveats for Genealogy/Thracia and 3H) need a modern dancer. Or more dancers generally. I'm still annoyed at IS for getting rid of the dancer banner, of all seasonal banners. It was the one banner where characters who were not canonically refreshers could get a refresh skill, which was nice because otherwise non-canon refreshers don't get it. They can't even be arsed to let someone else besides Dorothea be a refresher, even though 3H was literally "your dancer is whoever you want it to be".

So, if your game's one refresher is non-plot relevant, like Phina or Tethys or Seadall, the amount of dancers you get depends on how many alts they get. But hey, even for games that have more than one refresher, it barely matters if they're not getting alts or not added in the game, right? (Looking at Elphin not existing, Larum's one alt being very underwhelming, the heron siblings each only having one version except for Harmonic Azura, where Leanne is a backpack but this is apparently still better than nothing ;/)

Also, I think Heroes OC just get special treatment regardless of how popular they are, if they end up on a banner. Mirabilis being a 4-star who still had a prf dance and weapon is more of a surprise for us, but still absolute Heroes favoritism.

I mean, are there Heroes units who released after a certain point (read: when all 5-stars on seasonal banners started getting prf weapons) who ever got screwed over or demoted?

Edited by Sunwoo

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

I think all games that are not Heroes, Blazing Sword, and Fates (with some caveats for Genealogy/Thracia and 3H) need a modern dancer. Or more dancers generally. I'm still annoyed at IS for getting rid of the dancer banner, of all seasonal banners. It was the one banner where characters who were not canonically refreshers could get a refresh skill, which was nice because otherwise non-canon refreshers don't get it. They can't even be arsed to let someone else besides Dorothea be a refresher, even though 3H was literally "your dancer is whoever you want it to be".

So, if your game's one refresher is non-plot relevant, like Phina or Tethys or Seadall, the amount of dancers you get depends on how many alts they get. But hey, even for games that have more than one refresher, it barely matters if they're not getting alts or not added in the game, right? (Looking at Elphin not existing, Larum's one alt being very underwhelming, the heron siblings each only having one version except for Harmonic Azura, where Leanne is a backpack but this is apparently still better than nothing ;/)

Also, I think Heroes OC just get special treatment regardless of how popular they are, if they end up on a banner. Mirabilis being a 4-star who still had a prf dance and weapon is more of a surprise for us, but still absolute Heroes favoritism.

I mean, are there Heroes units who released after a certain point (read: when all 5-stars on seasonal banners started getting prf weapons) who ever got screwed over or demoted?

I think it's not particularly Heroes favoritism in this case but favoritism for units that have a prf dance, and for some reason the only characters that get prf dances (even if it's always a different prf dance) are the ones that they decided long ago: Azura, Ninian and the Heroes Fairies (probs cause these are the most plot relevant ones, Elphin aside since he isn't on the game, I even suspect they only created the fairies to have more plot important dancers just like how they make a bunch of Heroes characters be laguz to have a larger number of them), so they keep giving them alts with cool dances cause they know people will want it, which is alright, but don't seem to realize that giving prf dances (even if not broken) to characters like Leanne, Tethys, Olivia, Nils or Reyson would make these characters become wanted too (and then sell more).

I get that simply being able to dance makes an unit be valuable already, but at this point, we have so many premium dancers that there's no reason to use a normal dancer over one of the others unless you really like the character and have the patience to build them (with the good dancing skills) and even then they won't be better than Azura or Plumeria. It's the same situation we've gotten with staff units, you'll likely never use someone that doesn't have a prf staff (or you pass the Rearmed staff to) at this point unless you REALLY like them, except that with staff units they already started giving good staves to random staff wielding people instead of only giving it to who is plot important.

Edited by ARMADS!!!