Best/Worst in the Series: Round 75

NinjaMonkey

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we mean "map theme", do we mean the theme that plays before the actual chapter begins (e.g. A Hint of Things to Come)?

The music that plays whilst you are moving your units arount the map, doing various things.

Actually, I'd like to nominate Best/Worst Pre-promote (Jeigan characters excluded).

Hm, we already had Best/Worst Jeigan, but no Best/Worst Prepromote. I agree with the caveat of Jeigan characters being excluded.

Best: FE 7. I'll admit Lyn mode was boring and clichéd, but the rest of the story more than made up for it in my opinion. Honorable mention to FE 9, because (most of) it's characters are more fleshed out than in many of the other games.

Worst: FE 4. Sure, the first generation was good (aside from the love-at-first-sight thing and Eltshan being a dumbass), but the second generation sucked. I really wonder if the story gets all of the love it does only because of the incestuous pairings. Dishonorable mention to FE 10's blood pact.

Also, I second Most Underrated/Overrated FE.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Hm, we already had Best/Worst Jeigan, but no Best/Worst Prepromote. I agree with the caveat of Jeigan characters being excluded.

So that would be, best/worst prepromote except the first promoted unit to appear?

Which is Sigurd and Oifaye in fe4, I'd assume.

Wouldn't that be like an auto-win for Sirius?

He could be excluded.

Arran is the jeigan though, yes? If we start discounting the second promoted unit to show up in certain games, that's getting to be a little much.

At least Sety has availability issues in fe5. And in fe4 he may not have Holsety, fun though that is. Plus not being mounted there hurts anyway.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Still, he could be some competiton. Not sayin' that he's gonna beat Sirius, but it might actually be close depending on the playstyle of the player.

Pent as well.

A Staves.

A staves

A staves

<3

Still, he could be some competiton. Not sayin' that he's gonna beat Sirius, but it might actually be close depending on the playstyle of the player.

Pent as well.

A Staves.

A staves

A staves

<3

A staves is pretty fun. Both in fe7 and especially fe5.

Arran is the jeigan though, yes? If we start discounting the second promoted unit to show up in certain games, that's getting to be a little much.

At least Sety has availability issues in fe5. And in fe4 he may not have Holsety, fun though that is. Plus not being mounted there hurts anyway.

He joins in Chapter 4, right (I haven't played FE 3 or 12 yet)? I was only thinking of excluding him if he was practically a Jeigan (kind of like Oifaye), but if he isn't then I guess he doesn't need to be excluded.

Anyway, there isn't too much of a problem with a round having a possible auto-win, is there? Look at this round; Best/Worst Story is just asking for FE 4 to run away with first place. Besides, it's not like there isn't a battle for second or third, not to mention the worst premotes.

Worst: FE 4. Sure, the first generation was good (aside from the love-at-first-sight thing and Eltshan being a dumbass), but the second generation sucked. I really wonder if the story gets all of the love it does only because of the incestuous pairings. Dishonorable mention to FE 10's blood pact.

What's wrong with the love of first sight between Sigurd & Dierdre? =0

(As a note, I've only played 4 and 6-10, which explains the lack of Shadow Dragon here)

Best: FE9.

In all honesty, I don't think any FE has an amazing story, by itself. In my opinion, the characters make the games - without them, they wouldn't be anywhere near as interesting. FE9 has some of my favorite characters in the entire series, which is why I'm voting for it, though admittedly the main story is nothing overly interesting. Honorable mention to FE10, which I think would be the best if I were voting based on story alone (disregarding the importance of supports) - I really enjoyed part 2 and 3 in particular, and I'm one of the few people who didn't mind the Blood Pact plot-twist. Part 4 felt rather rushed, but in general, I think FE10 had some of the most ambitious storytelling in the series. Then again, I like to view FE9 and 10 as two separate parts of one story; it just makes sense to me.

Worst: FE4. /puts up flame shield

There were two contenders for this spot. The first would be FE6, which has an unusually unremarkable storyline, in addition to having less story than most FEs in general and the most bland main character I've ever seen (seriously, Roy lacks any personality whatsoever). However, there were at least a few characters I cared for, and the supports fleshed out both the characters and Elibe in general. FE6 seems to be getting enough hate in this thread already, too.

The second game I considered would be FE4. I think this may very well be one of the most overrated video games ever. Personally, I didn't even find the first generation all that interesting. I suppose I can see what they were going for - a tragedy of sorts - but I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters. None of the main characters had personalities felt I could identify with (and the vast majority of the minor characters severely lacked screentime), so when the twist finally came, my reaction was basically "huh, ok". The rest of the game wasn't particularly special, either. Let's stop an evil cult trying to revive a dark god and save the world! How original! Oh, wait. (Could someone please at least explain what they like so much about FE4's story? Everyone is constantly praising it, and I don't understand why. :( )

A note on FE4, by the way: I'm judging the story based on the game's presentation of it alone. The manga is excellent, I think, but the game... not so much.

"Love at first sight" in general is a tired and uninteresting cliché, imo.

EDIT: I would also like to nominate Best/Worst Map Theme.

Edited by Immaterial

Best: FE 7. I'll admit Lyn mode was boring and clichéd, but the rest of the story more than made up for it in my opinion. Honorable mention to FE 9, because (most of) it's characters are more fleshed out than in many of the other games.

I don't really care that you voted for FE4 as the worst (I don't care for the story's delivery, so I can't really say I like it all that much. FE tends to have that problem, actually...) but you're using the exact same logic to describe how one is the best and the other is the worst.

Best: FE5. Probably a by-product of it being my favorite to play, so I'm more invested in the game and actually care more about the story, but whatever. Honorable mention to FE10, FE4. You all know the problems they have.

Worst: FE11. At least in FE6 I was aware of what the world looked like and what I was doing.

Also, I would nominate Best/Worst Characters (by game) but that seems to be what's influencing a lot of people here, so...

Edited by Rewjeo

Because not even Katie bloody Price has been around as much as love at first sight.

http://www.cf-network.com/cfan/IMG/jpg/16Batman-Arkham-Asylum.jpg

Could someone please at least explain what they like so much about FE4's story?

Probably chapter 5, when things seem to be reaching an end Alvis's betrayal, and the bit with Cuan, Ethlin and Trabant get thrown in there.

Best FE7

Worst FE11

Nominate Best/worst legendary herp

EDIT:Derp I meant legendary hero

Edited by mikethfc

(Could someone please at least explain what they like so much about FE4's story? Everyone is constantly praising it, and I don't understand why. :( )

I personally liked it because it does something that the other FE games didn't, which was, at least in Gen1, to keep the mystical/heroic element out of the game. In every other FE game, you have a young swordsman (or axeman, in Hector's case) who has to save the world from some sort of mystical evil. There's nothing wrong with this, but it's in literally every other game and I don't think any of them have pulled it off particularly well (note: I have not played FE9 or 10, FE10's plot sounds like something I wouldn't like from what I've read, though). Instead, in FE4 pt1, you're presented with lots of shades of grey, morally, and instead of fighting a mystical or "true" evil, the "evil" in FE4 pt1 is mostly political (Loptousou isn't really a big deal in the first part).

Also I found that Sigurd was unique among the lords, in that instead of some 15-year-old punk with a sword he was extremely competent and despite that incredibly gentle and kindhearted, going out of his way to help people all the time despite having the power and authority to simply not do so. Because of this, I had a lot more sympathy towards him and gravitated towards his character, instead of someone like Eliwood or Marth or even Celice who are just sort of "doing it" because they have to, or for revenge of some sort. I thought the twist was good, although it could have been executed better, but it wasn't what sold the game for me.

Gen2 definitely loses out on a lot of that, but manages to hold on to it somewhat (particularly with Trabant//Thracia and to a lesser extent the Freejis, FE5 does a good job of homing in on these points). I don't know why people make such a huge deal about Sigurd and Deirdre's love at first sight thing, it's really not even that important to the plot. Would things really have been any different if they fell in love gradually? I mean, they spent over a year together anyway.

Another thing is that I found that FE4's translation was particularly excellent , I would even rate it above the professional localizations. Presentation matters, imo.

I don't really care that you voted for FE4 as the worst (I don't care for the story's delivery, so I can't really say I like it all that much. FE tends to have that problem, actually...) but you're using the exact same logic to describe how one is the best and the other is the worst.

No, I'm not. In FE 7, I like Hector/Eliwood mode's story enough that the fact that the tutorial (albeit an unnecessarily long one) had a sub-par story doesn't bother me too much. The majority of the game's story is great. In FE 4 however, the first generation's story is okay (not great, but it wasn't bad), but it isn't good enough to help the fact that the second generation's story was way too generic. This is all my opinion, though. However, I agree that FE has a lot of problems with it's delivery...

About SigurdxDiadora, I understand that 'love at first sight' was really the only way to get them married and have Celice before Diadora gets kidnapped not 2 chapters later. That doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

EDIT: Silvercrow managed to explain it pretty well. Sigurd and the political conflict were what made the first generation's story good. Once they disappeared in the second generation, the story went downhill from there.

Also, I now have six dots.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

Best: FE4. The concept of 2 generations of a story was well done and Alvis's betrayal is unique in FE's history in that, well, it worked.

@FE4 has cliches: Oh no, a video game with cliches. So? Every FE game has cliches. Chrono Trigger has cliches. Paper Mario has cliches. You name any game, it has cliches with the exception of, like, Tetris because it has no story at all. That game has cliches. Does that itself make it a bad game? Of course not. Cliches are perfectly acceptable to have if they're done right, and in my opinion FE4 does a damn good job of it.

Worst: FE8. Why? Because it took FE2, which I liked, and made it worse in almost every way. That is NOT acceptable.

Edited by Haruhi Suzumiya