Uh, random earthquake?

Chocolate Kitty

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad said it took place around DC I think...

I went into my "Earthquakes and Volcanoes" class for the very first time and one of the things we did was look at earthquakes and within the past hour it showed that somewhere along the souther Colorado border there was an earthquake. Then later was when my dad was talking about the one in Maryland. He said he heard it being something like them being foreshocks rather than aftershocks.

*goes to the earthquake site again*

Okay so the second one was in Virginia

Earthquake-obsessive

Colorado was 5.3 and Virginia was 5.8

Edited by Agnaktor

I was in Columbia when it happened, but I was right outside costco and stuff and the building was shaking a little bit. People were all going into the streets saying "wtf just happened" or w/e and it was pretty funny. Even my mom texted me "are you okay?", and my mom barely knows how to text.

Apparently a bunch of buildings in DC are closing down right now for inspections and whatnot.

At least we haggled the guy at costcos for 90 dollars off our TV. 40 inch 1080p for 390 dollars.

At least we haggled the guy at costcos for 90 dollars off our TV. 40 inch 1080p for 390 dollars.

Wow, that sounds like a great deal, if you ask me! Congrats on that!

Yeah Indiana's preparing for the New Madrid fault to do something huge because they think it's almost time for it to cause another huge earthquake sometime eventually? Idk if there's any certain period of time between big earthquakes established for this one yet or not, but I think that since it's so inactive then it may be hard to know since people wouldn't have kept track that long.

Ramblerambleramble~ Or maybe fieldwork would've given them an idea... They just think that it could either do something real soon, or they just wanna be sure

But yeah because of their suspicions all the schools in Indiana had an earthquake drill which was pretty much just a joke to everyone else. ramblerambleramble I was just excited when we had the drill because I'd been told early on that we were going to do this when I was job shadowing a geophysicist, so I felt "in the loop" I guess But yeah everyone was just laughing when the tallest ones had to try fit under the table

We felt it in Baltimore, they're still talking about it on the news. Wasn't anything more than minor shaking, but it's the first time I've felt an earthquake. Is this what it's like to live in California?

Not really. It happens often enough for it to not feel exciting or anything, and not enough to be a nuisance. Also, people don't particularly care here, but facebook and the news pretty much had a panic about it. Understandably I suppose though.

We felt it in Baltimore, they're still talking about it on the news. Wasn't anything more than minor shaking, but it's the first time I've felt an earthquake. Is this what it's like to live in California?

I've experienced...two (?) earthquakes since I've been alive. In my opinion, they're scarce here too. Or maybe I'm so used to it I don't feel the weak ones anymore.

y i no feel anything???////

mayb my hous is immune to earhtquack?

i live in australia someone pls help me

you're my hero...OF DESTINY.

Felt it in Long Island part of NY.

Sat down and stuff started moving. It was kinda weird.

I live ~20 minutes away from Lumi. Felt it, and it caused my brother's rice bowl to crash and die. Poor bowl.

I didn't feel it. But then again I wasn't within that area that was affected or even near it.

It was a 5.8 earthquake, was it? My area had a similar earthquake that was about that level (5.5 or 5.6) in June 2010 and apparently some small one in April 2011.

I didn't feel it. But then again I wasn't within that area that was affected or even near it.

It was a 5.8 earthquake, was it? My area had a similar earthquake that was about that level (5.5 or 5.6) in June 2010 and apparently some small one in April 2011.

Yes, I believe that it was 5.8, if not with a little offset.

Poland. Felt nothing. Heard everything.

You heard an earthquake in America? From Poland? That's amazing! How did you do that?

You heard an earthquake in America? From Poland? That's amazing! How did you do that?

No no, heard everything in the sense that it got a lot of news coverage.

I was in Canada near new york... but there was not even a shake around here.

However there was a minor earthquake sometime ago. Most people didn't felt it, however because my da was stubborn and put 4 wheels in my bed i felt the earthquake and my bed moved a little.

Edited by SlayerX

Didn't feel anything here in Florida.

And aren't all earthquakes random?

Define random. They are caused by rocks moving. Why do the rocks move? Something about changes in pressure and some shit as stuff at the bottom rises to the top.

Edited by Loki Laufeyjarson