Don't you think we can be a little harsh on new users as a community at times?

Junkhead

Or they try to argue that Marcus/Seth/Titania/Jagen/Sain/*insert godly unit here* sucks, and then the insults are flung.

Seth fucking sucks nubcakes, he's like the worst character in Fire Emblem history. lrn2strtgygame.

:3c

A strong example would be to look at Gamefaqs, whenever I see a guy making a really ignorant comment I go "oh boy, here we go again" and I make bets the guy just came from Youtube or something.

You don't even need to make an ignorant comment on GameFAQs to be picked apart by pretentious douchebags. I mean goddamn. There are only so many dicks on the planet. How do all of them know to post there?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, all it takes is one little disagreement before things get out of control, though. But that's the thing about forums. Most people don't actually know the people they talk to on forums, and since it's all anonymous most people really don't hold back their thoughts and let them fly. And, well, anyone who can't take criticism or handle disagreement is going to ragequit, or start running at the mouth. Personally, I think that I've learned a lot of self-control over the years, and partly through dealing with various people on the Internet. But ... it takes a while to really get that self-control. Like I said, we're all pretty much anonymous so there are times we're going to lose our tempers and just give someone a piece of our mind. Some people just may not feel the need to really be all that polite to random strangers on the Internet. So, really, this people-being-rude-to-newcomers-on-forums is common to all sites and it can be caused by anything.

It's not like new members are neccesarily the only ones recieving flames. I've been here for almost 3 years and half of the community is still a dick to me.

The reason why they dislike new members is because, you know, they're still learning the ropes, and they're not as good as stuff as the veterans. Also, there's the pre-established idea that new members are completely clueless., so people analyze their posts with a much different style of analysis. For instance, if you read a post by Nestling, most people will think "Oh, it's that retarded guy who won't shut the hell up about his "sex" life and how much he hates certain groups of people", mostly because that's the reputation I've brought up onto myself. I could be talking about something completely unrelated, but people will view my posts as negatives just because of the reputation that I've given myself. On the flip side, if a well liked member of the community posts the same thing as I might have posted, it would be viewed with different eyes, as the reputation that they've built for themselves is much more positive. Now, newer members don't really have a reputation to judge off of, but people know that "new members" as a whole can generally be "noobs", and their posts are automatically viewed with a negative tone, of someone who is completely clueless. This causes people to go "HEY MAN YOU SUCK SDFGJKSLDFNHGLSDJNHFGJKLSDNFLJKNSDL WHAT A NOOB", just because of the reputation that they haven't even build yet. Also, "pwning noobs" really is a "great" way of boosting reputation. If someone can totally "pwn a nub", then they've suddenly shown that they're a badass or something, as they can show dominance. This will get people to like them, and bring them to a higher social status, which leads to more friends, more respect, and the ability to totally say anything they want without being thrown down by the community.

That's the mentality of like, all of the internet, and due to the attitude of a LOT of people I see that are active on the internet, there's not really much that can be done about this except tolerate it and keep the happiest face you've ever had in your life.

I've been taking crap left and right for 6 years, because people think I'm stupid. Because people don't like the way I type. Because people think my interests aren't good. Because people will look at me and see a pathetic 10-16 year old whimp who refuses to change his attitude for the interests of others. I've been banned from plenty of forums for this, and had my abilities limited from others. Often times, I've been stuck in a lonely corner by myself, simply because I've refused to stop being myself. This is what most newbies come in as. They come in as themselves. They ragequit because they don't want to take all of the crap that the "molded" community throws at them so they can become more like the mold of person they want to see. They want to stay the way they are, and for the benefit of their sanity, they choose to leave, instead of spending so much time trying to live their lives normally on a place where, according to the veterans of the community, they don't belong.

Of course, I'm a complete idiot and I'm oblivious to the fact that I could just leave and avoid all of the tears I've shed because of rude forum members. I'm oblivious to the fact that if I had just left, I wouldn't be trying to drown myself in the clogged middle school sink. I'm oblivious to the fact that had I just simply decided to stay in real life, instead of trying to live in this fantasy world, my life would probably be much different then it is now. On the flip side, my perseverence has paid off, as I've made so many new friends and learned so many new things from being on websites and forums like these for so long. So, can there be no compromise? Can new members be allowed to learn the ropes of a community and possibly change their lives without being shot by years and years of the fire of veteran users's mouths?

Obviously not.

The funny thing is that when I post, I don't actually think about what I'm typing about, so what I see as an inspirational message of hope and aspiration can actually be just a conglomarate of my horny 16 year old mind.

when I first joined, I avoided FftF since I was warned that's where the monsters and trolls lurk.

in other topics there are plenty of friendly people, though I've noticed an increase of trolls getting closer to the forest since I joined...

It's not like new members are neccesarily the only ones recieving flames. I've been here for almost 3 years and half of the community is still a dick to me.

The reason why they dislike new members is because, you know, they're still learning the ropes, and they're not as good as stuff as the veterans. Also, there's the pre-established idea that new members are completely clueless., so people analyze their posts with a much different style of analysis. For instance, if you read a post by Nestling, most people will think "Oh, it's that retarded guy who won't shut the hell up about his "sex" life and how much he hates certain groups of people", mostly because that's the reputation I've brought up onto myself. I could be talking about something completely unrelated, but people will view my posts as negatives just because of the reputation that I've given myself. On the flip side, if a well liked member of the community posts the same thing as I might have posted, it would be viewed with different eyes, as the reputation that they've built for themselves is much more positive. Now, newer members don't really have a reputation to judge off of, but people know that "new members" as a whole can generally be "noobs", and their posts are automatically viewed with a negative tone, of someone who is completely clueless. This causes people to go "HEY MAN YOU SUCK SDFGJKSLDFNHGLSDJNHFGJKLSDNFLJKNSDL WHAT A NOOB", just because of the reputation that they haven't even build yet. Also, "pwning noobs" really is a "great" way of boosting reputation. If someone can totally "pwn a nub", then they've suddenly shown that they're a badass or something, as they can show dominance. This will get people to like them, and bring them to a higher social status, which leads to more friends, more respect, and the ability to totally say anything they want without being thrown down by the community.

That's the mentality of like, all of the internet, and due to the attitude of a LOT of people I see that are active on the internet, there's not really much that can be done about this except tolerate it and keep the happiest face you've ever had in your life.

I've been taking crap left and right for 6 years, because people think I'm stupid. Because people don't like the way I type. Because people think my interests aren't good. Because people will look at me and see a pathetic 10-16 year old whimp who refuses to change his attitude for the interests of others. I've been banned from plenty of forums for this, and had my abilities limited from others. Often times, I've been stuck in a lonely corner by myself, simply because I've refused to stop being myself. This is what most newbies come in as. They come in as themselves. They ragequit because they don't want to take all of the crap that the "molded" community throws at them so they can become more like the mold of person they want to see. They want to stay the way they are, and for the benefit of their sanity, they choose to leave, instead of spending so much time trying to live their lives normally on a place where, according to the veterans of the community, they don't belong.

Of course, I'm a complete idiot and I'm oblivious to the fact that I could just leave and avoid all of the tears I've shed because of rude forum members. I'm oblivious to the fact that if I had just left, I wouldn't be trying to drown myself in the clogged middle school sink. I'm oblivious to the fact that had I just simply decided to stay in real life, instead of trying to live in this fantasy world, my life would probably be much different then it is now. On the flip side, my perseverence has paid off, as I've made so many new friends and learned so many new things from being on websites and forums like these for so long. So, can there be no compromise? Can new members be allowed to learn the ropes of a community and possibly change their lives without being shot by years and years of the fire of veteran users's mouths?

Obviously not.

The funny thing is that when I post, I don't actually think about what I'm typing about, so what I see as an inspirational message of hope and aspiration can actually be just a conglomarate of my horny 16 year old mind.

Don't worry, everyone that matters totally loves you brah. Except I think I remember you making some pretty weird claims in the Serious Discussion area. So, uh. As long as you're not talking about something serious, then we're cool. Probably.

when I first joined, I avoided FftF since I was warned that's where the monsters and trolls lurk.

in other topics there are plenty of friendly people, though I've noticed an increase of trolls getting closer to the forest since I joined...

Actually, I didn't make friends or have much fun until I started going to the FE4 thread. I guess it just depends where you post and who you bump into. >o<

lulz

Lots of people say that to newcomers. Nobody is actually serious about it.

lulz

Lots of people say that to newcomers. Nobody is actually serious about it.

Oh, there are always the impressionable young'uns (mentally in addition to age-wise) we have to worry about...

@ people mad at Cam. Cam just has a loud bark. Anyone leaving 'cause of him is a baby :P:.

You know, it's a lot better than it used to be, that's for sure. There are certain groups of people who like to segregate themselves and others from the "whole" community. They are generally the cause of this issue on any forum. It is present on any forum that has a reasonably large community, in fact. It's unavoidable, and I don't blame people for leaving if they aren't able to find something worth sticking around for. But more often than not people do find that something and put up with the rest of it. That's forum life :P:.

Don't worry, everyone that matters totally loves you brah. Except I think I remember you making some pretty weird claims in the Serious Discussion area. So, uh. As long as you're not talking about something serious, then we're cool. Probably.

This man. I fucking love Nestling most of the time and I'm me.

What, seriously? That doesn't sound like her.

Like Seph said, "she" was a "he" and I guarantee "he" was a 18-26 yeah old male. (Age approximate because his voice is the only thing that's been heard.)

Not a good person, and his game isn't that great either. There are better FEXP games out there if that's all it takes to give you a protection boner.

Edited by Klokinator

Like Seph said, "she" was a "he" and I guarantee "he" was a 18-26 yeah old male. (Age approximate because his voice is the only thing that's been heard.)

Not a good person, and his game isn't that great either. There are better FEXP games out there if that's all it takes to give you a protection boner.

How did you find this out? Apparently you posted this in the introduction thread but the posts seem to be hidden.

Because he went to my forum for over a year and posted 200+ posts and I'm an admin who did a ton of searching. A ton. Plus there were 6 other witnesses to the fact.

@Camtech did he talk to you about himself being an alien or some shit like that? ROFL

@ people mad at Cam. Cam just has a loud bark. Anyone leaving 'cause of him is a baby :P:.

You know, it's a lot better than it used to be, that's for sure. There are certain groups of people who like to segregate themselves and others from the "whole" community. They are generally the cause of this issue on any forum. It is present on any forum that has a reasonably large community, in fact. It's unavoidable, and I don't blame people for leaving if they aren't able to find something worth sticking around for. But more often than not people do find that something and put up with the rest of it. That's forum life :P:.

I haven't found a something but I still put up with the rest of it, and the reason why is

I want to live,

I want to give

I've been a miner

For a heart of gold.

It's these expressions

I never give

That keep me searching

For a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keeps me searching

For a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

I've been to Hollywood

I've been to Redwood

I crossed the ocean

For a heart of gold

I've been in my mind,

It's such a fine line

That keeps me searching

For a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keeps me searching

For a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keep me searching

For a heart of gold

You keep me searching

For a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

I've been a miner

For a heart of gold.

it starts at the top

when niggas start dick ridin on people that are perceived cool or vets they change their own ideologies to those and some forums can get cliquely depending on how political the original influentials want to go (knowingly or unkowingly)

it happens on forums, in games, in real life. people need idols. #kobesystem

i commend the original influentials regards to this discussion and wish i was around for all this nostalgic shit you guys are talking about. but i promise i will be at the finish line for you to still hate on somebody.

I did joined this website in August 2011 and I looked around the website on May 2011. I found this website from Aveyn Knight's profile by clicking on the link of the site. I am nice on around alot of sites, I don't curse (I hate that), and I am not mean.

I did once, centuries ago. It was certainly a thing.

I am such a bad little boy.

Bonerusa is a boy? I thought her profile said female? blink.gif

Edited by King Marth 64

I do agree some people on the forum can be a dick to new members, but thats just the Internet for you. If I were to give some advice to a new member it would be to try to find someone that's been here for quite a while and see if they would take you under their wing. Either that or just observe for a while, hell I lurked for about a year and a half before I actually joined