Don't you think we can be a little harsh on new users as a community at times?

Junkhead

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To prevent getting totally flared when I joined, I read through the first 2-3 pages of the more relevant threads. Then I didn't feel like walking into a forum blind, and it only took me about an hour at most.

Its not like the veteran users are necessarily nice to each other. Most of the time some says something stupid, users here bash that user... Point is, if they can't take it, then i guess its better for them to leave.

For sure. When you get a new user whose beliefs and ideas conflict with the general consensus around here, there's always a chance that the bad sides of people will show. Typically happens when you get someone who likes a character that sucks and tries to argue otherwise which often results in people flinging insults at each other.

In some cases it is good that they "ragequit".

To prevent getting totally flared when I joined, I read through the first 2-3 pages of the more relevant threads. Then I didn't feel like walking into a forum blind, and it only took me about an hour at most.

Smart move.

Edited by Sirius

For sure. When you get a new user whose beliefs and ideas conflict with the general consensus around here, there's always a chance that the bad sides of people will show. Typically happens when you get someone who likes a character that sucks and tries to argue otherwise which often results in people flinging insults at each other.

Or they try to argue that Marcus/Seth/Titania/Jagen/Sain/*insert godly unit here* sucks, and then the insults are flung.

I think in a way it's easier for those people who lurked before they joined, 'cause they know how things work. I'd been ROMhacking just off tutorials and stuff and then when I needed help, I came here (And ended up somehow becoming a fixture in the hacking forum) but I'd already read lots of threads and tutorials to figure out how to do stuff, so I fit in better XP It also helps if you at least figure out what you're talking about before you post, which is why a lot of people get pwned, I find; they don't have a clue :P

I disagree, as a pretty new user still generally ignorant on a lot of these people here have been helpful to the extreme. If new people rage-quit it's because A.) They can't take a joke. B.) They said something incredibly stupid.

People here are fine.

Shouldn't this be standard though? I mean, for example, I lurked SA for a couple YEARS before joining. That shouldn't be expected, especially not for a much smaller forum like SF, but still, if they're so dumb they can't lurk even a little bit before joining then who cares if they're scared away.

Lawl this was from yesterday, I think :P

hi you must be new here OH WAIT I DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF YOU'RE NEW IT IS NOT MY JOB TO BE ALL SMILEY FACE

honestly I'm sick of little fucks showing up and using the fact that 'they're new' as some kind of shield, I don't care about that. You could have been here since opening or for all of forty-five seconds for all I care, if you can't earn my respect I will not hold back. If you want me to be nice, give me reason to give you the benefit of the doubt, otherwise fuck off about my attitude.

I haven't really seen any of the "rage quitting" first hand, but if it's out there, I'm assuming that it's coming from people who are relatively new to the internet in general and either haven't grown a thick enough skin yet, are acting like jerks any way, or need to turn their sarcasm detectors on. Sure, we can be a little harsh sometimes, but it's mostly towards people we know fairly well, or towards people who come out swinging and are looking for a fight, or, you know, we're just playing with them. There are also moments in which more sensitive people see an argument directed at one of their statements and automatically assume that it's a personal attack. (Who hasn't experienced that?)

I agree with Elieson that lurking, even briefly, has value. I lurked for well over a year before I joined FESS in 2004, and when I started transitioning over here, I made an account and tried to lay-low for the first week or two, just to understand what the culture around this site was like, for lack of a better word.

Yeah, but FESS wasn't violently crude until late in its life to new members :p

Stay where you're welcomed and people like you.

I quite agree.

I don't really have an opinion on how treatment should be given, but I do know one things--seeing the derogative members come out against new members only makes it easier to see which people aren't worth knowing.

I've lurked around SF and the forums for about two or three years before seriously joining. Even for online communities, I'm sort of shy of just joining right off the bat. Another thing that prevented me from joining sooner was because of a certain Shining Force Forum I visited that was pretty unfriendly to new users without a logical excuse. If you were new, you were pretty much treated like trash. After I left the place permanently, I've been paranoid of being around a new community I join. Sort of like if you were that kid that's being constantly bullied through his/her history throughout school (I've never personally experienced that...except elementary school days, I guess), they become three times as nervous than usual when going to a new school.

Even though I've been here since July of '11, I am shamed to admit that I still have a few lingering feelings about posting a lot on the forums here...but with my extended time I've placed to visit here for at least three times a day, that paranoid feeling is going away slowly, yet steadily because I still spend most of my time just lurking around, reading topics and in the I.P. Chat frequently. I'm still learning and trying to get more accustomed, despite a few more months will mark a year I've joined.

So from my own personal observations of this place, most, if not all of the people who come off as harsh on some of the new members have justifiable reasons for their actions. I like this place a lot because there are a lot of friendly members, veterans, and staff...as well as myself being able to ease up on visits or chats with some of you, even on stressful days I may have that I can just blank out my mind for the duration of visits. =)

I'm new here, as some of you may know, but I lurked around this site for a while. I read through the forums before I joined and ... to be honest, every time I was thinking about joining, I read something that put me off and made me decide, "maybe some other time". I mean, I'm not a stranger to criticism and harshness, and I like to think that I have a pretty thick skin. But let's be serious. No one's really LOOKING for trouble, right? A new user wouldn't be quite as invested in a certain forum or site as veteran users are. So if they "ragequit," it's probably in the mentality of, "I've got nothing to lose by leaving."

Well I generally try to be as nice as possible to everyone. Not that that always works out.

Though I can't say I remember any harshness when I was new. Though after joining it took me forever to actually get anyone to notice me lol.

Edited by Strawman the DucksawDucky

I didn't lurk.

However there were like only 146 registered members before I joined so meh.

People who tend to flame a lot are probably dicks anyway and should be ignored. Or trolled more.

I think I've seen a fair share of harshness towards new members, not sure if on these forums. Generally, I treat new members as any ordinary member and I try to be friendly and lenient towards all members.

I used to be intimitated when posting on forums, possibly because my first forum was FESS where the staff were fairly strict, but still very reasonable. Nowadays, maybe because I'm sitting at the top of these forums or because I've gotten more used to online communities, I'm not too worried about what I post.

Cam would have done the same thing for anyone else, and he was reasonable at first.

It's just to emphasize my point from earlier; if you don't know what you're talking about, you'll get pwnt. Incidentally, I find Cam's intolerance hilarious :P

And VASM, on the one occasion I talked to you, you were very friendly and welcoming, so you're doing a good job, I'd say smile.gif

Even though I've been here since July of '11, I am shamed to admit that I still have a few lingering feelings about posting a lot on the forums here...but with my extended time I've placed to visit here for at least three times a day, that paranoid feeling is going away slowly, yet steadily because I still spend most of my time just lurking around, reading topics and in the I.P. Chat frequently. I'm still learning and trying to get more accustomed, despite a few more months will mark a year I've joined.

It's really though to get your footing at first. Keep at it though! >o< Once you make a few friends, it get's a lot easier.

Edited by Popo