Rate the Unit, Day 21: Gerik

10/10. Never has he been useless in any of my runthroughs of the game. Ranger= Beastly ass bows, Hero= Awesome ass axes. (though his Con isn't quite high enough.... huh. Handaxe spam. hurr durr.) I prefer Ranger because he's usually the only ranger I ever get anyway. I could get a Garcia Hero but.... Yeah, I never play Gar and Ross is always my 'Zerker.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously. There's only 3 characters in the main story with potentially higher con. Warrior!Garcia, Dozla, and Gilliam. by 1 point. and that means they don't lose AS from braves rather than a measley 1. And Gerik beats their AS anyway even with a -1 so not like it matters (esp. considering how late he'd even get Brave Axe without significant Devil Axe spamming). If there's anything Gerik has somewhat of a deficiency on, it's availability and movement, not constitution. GarHero actually has less con than Gerik.

I mean fuck he's as fat as Hector so that promoted mounts can't even carry him

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Are they unfamiliar with that GameFaqs joke?

Yes?

Anyway, Gerik's pretty fucking amazing, certainly by GO UP standards. While I personally favour him going hero with Garcia and Ross, Ranger is a solid option as well for the horse. And, like, Steel Bows. Anyway his bases are superb, his growths are good and he'll just never really slow down. 9/10.

*sigh*

Gerik's got a lot of CON. This means transporting him can get rather painful. On the flip side, his stats are good for, like, nearly forever, and S-ranking either Hero weapon is something he doesn't object to.

7/10 for being hard to lug around

Well, after you said it I was pretty sure it was a joke, but OrangeCrush, no offence, you're a guy I really don't know. And my experience of random people on this board includes a lot of weird beliefs, as well as some that kinda make sense but have no bearing on reality (GKs have a better speed stat than paladins, guys, get it RIGHT).

So yeah.

(Kinda curious about the origins of that joke now. I'm assuming someone did once actually argue that he didn't have the Con to wield axes?)

The whole "Gerik lacks the proper CON to use axes" joke was started by shiningpikablu252 (of prepromote bashing fame) from the FE8 GFAQS board, who used it as a justification for promoting him to Ranger. It's been a running joke ever since, despite the fact that, if anything, Gerik has too much CON.

Anyway, I'm giving a 8.5/10 for Gerik. Great bases combined with the growths to keep going strong and access to axes makes him a solid unit throughout the game. If only he showed up earlier than Chapter 10.

Gerik. The mercenary of Jehanna who is manliness personified. SO MANLY! Let's talk about the Desert Tiger shall we?

Pros:

Hnnngh....where to begin?

Stupidly balanced stats.

Dat con! :awesome:

Nice base level (for a non-prepromote).

Comes with his very own Hero Crest.

Hits hard and fast.

Can get a pony.

Can use axes.

Can promote right away if necessary.

Cons:

Not many...

He is a bit fat and hard to rescue.

Swordreavers kinda scare him.

A bit slow to level due to his righteous base level. (not really a con, just something i find myself noticing since i like to wait until he's 20. or close to it.)

Yeah Gerik is fucken manly. He can go either way with promotion and still rock ass. Some people prefer him as Hero. I prefer him as a Ranger. [/dodges rotten fruit] I like how he gets da move with Ranger. But hes pretty great either way. Just a matter of what you prefer i suppose.

8.5/10. Bias rating 9/10 cuz hes manly.

9/10

my aim screenname's origin

also i love the hero class

but jokes aside, he is a boon to my draft, he can be promoted instantly and kill things extremely well, has the con for axes, and is in general a very good unit. only thing he lacks is move, but if you run through his chapters, there are maps that can make him useful despite all of that- for example, he can one of the bosses in a chapter after he joins at base level Hero with a Halberd by Turn 2.

I like Gerik as a character and a unit. He rocks as a unit, and his character is awesome, too. (I don't use Raven because I can't stand his character for the most part.)

Gerik has a lot of con, so he won't be slowed down by most weapons. Which is great when you show up with a steel blade. :P He has great bases and good enough growths (I think his speed growth is a tad low, but still his bases and growths make it acceptable in FE8). He's pretty durable and can withstand quite a few hits without needing any healing. When he promotes, you can choose to make him either a ranger or a hero ... which means that he will get either a horse or axes. No comment from me on which option is better, because they're both good depending on your play style.

8.5/10, because he is rather exceptional at combat and doesn't die easily. However, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him anything higher since he is still replaceable.

Gerik not having the CON to wield axes was one of the most popular FE jokes I thought. Where has everyone been like the last 7 years?

All Fire Emblem jokes are shit, so... 'most popular' isn't saying much.