FRLG tier list

MacLovin

How good is Horsea anyway? Kingdra is completely unavailable until post E4. It does come early (sort of) and Seadra's stats are pretty good but it's movepool is what you'd expect from a mono-water. All Water and Ice. Stab Surf is great and all but is that enough?

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st) Taking psychic TM matters because its pretty damn good move many Pkmn would like for coverage.

The point of coverage is to make your team able to hit a lot of types for super-effective damage, not just one specific Pokemon. In particular, you should only bother with non-stab moves when you don't have a Pokemon of the move's type.

Raising Jynx, and giving the Psychic TM to Lapras or whatever not only sandbags Jynx, but hurts your team (since Lapras will miss some OHKO's due to not having STAB and lower special attack).

But do you see my point? I'll make it simple, so there can be no confusion.

Jynx will always get TM29 if in play. This is not a point against it, because TM29 will always be used, and Jynx uses Psychic better than anyone else*, especially non-psychic types who don't get STAB. They only need the coverage when you don't have a Psychic-type in play.

* Actually, Abra uses it better, but it fills the same niche as Jynx, so they're never in competition with each other.

Kadabra as well as Hypno get natural Psychic early enough to not really need the TM that badly, while Slowpoke can be caught in the wild already knowing the move, which is when you can evolve it. I disagree with what you say about non-psychics never getting Psychic, though. Agatha's ghosts are a threat to psychics most of the time since they sometimes fail to OHKO the Gengars with Psychic but Shadow Ball does exactly that to their frail defence. Clefable doesn't fear Shadow Ball and could even Calm Mind up. Its Return also does good physical damage in the game so it can function as a mixed attacker.

Teaching Jynx Psychic seems like an obvious action to carry out, but that doesn't mean there's no competition for the Psychic TM, and Jynx is likely to find itself in the same party with, say, Exeggutor, who has trouble functioning without it (Jynx can do many things just fine with just the Ice Punch). The argument "if it exists it has to take X TM, so it can't be penalised for taking X TM" is also not one I can agree to because it leads to the conclusion that somebody has to take an important TM in order to exist (Exeggutor loses even more value here).

Testing some things in a draft.

-Low Kick!Mankey wants grinding to fight Brock.

-Pikachu is pretty good, natural TB and a decent amount of cheap tms to use.

-Charmander is pretty damn good, it just falters a little midgame. It's only problem is that it wants rare TMs/move tutors.

Spearow is very good early-midgame and is decent lategame with drill peck/steel wing/return.

Drop mankey one or two spots.

Raise Pikachu

Drop Charmander a few slots.

Raise Spearow, since it's pretty akin to RSE Tailow.

what are you smoking, mankey does not need grinding for brock unless you're trying to beat him at like L5

Mankey appears at lv 5 at the highest.

It is literally impossible for him to be any higher without grinding.

Of course. But you want to do as little grinding as possible.

What's a reasonable level for Mankey to be? 10? That's 875 exp needed. Even after beating up every trainer in the forest, switching Mankey in every time, is only 478 experience. You'd need about 14 random battles, 28 if you switch-train. It's far better to stuff 100% of the experience you get into your starter, so you can focus on training the water-killer for the next section.

Viridian forest is pretty much the worst place, in exp/min, to grind. In fact, the further you go, the more efficient it is to grind. The more of early game you can skip while obtaining minimal experience, the better.

Edited by Minor Baldo

It learns Low Kick at L6, which a party of Charmander and Mankey should cooperate towards without entering a single random encounter. Against Brock, Charmander burns Geodude (who only has Tackle), and Mankey can take on Onix at any level assuming it has Low Kick. It resists Rock Tomb and Onix's attack is so low that its other moves aren't a threat in any way, even with a level difference. It doesn't even get Screech like it did in RBY.

You can beat the game without facing any random encounters, Viridian Forest isn't anything mandatory either.

Rose some stuff, dropped some stuff.

Also, what about those no-evo mons with good bases.

Kanga

Tauros

Scyther

Pinser

Hitmonlee

Hitmonchan

Magmar

And add Exeggcute.

These mons seem to be a bit low, since they are salvageable.

Unlike Paras, etc.

But, I'm tired, so I won't elaborate.

The changes are based on an actual playthrough, rather than glorified guesswork.

According to this thing, a lv. 6 Mankey is 4HKO'ing lv. 14 Onix and getting 2HKO'd in return. I'd test it in game, but my cart is in use.